The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Now fellow cheapies This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands! So have fun today and good luck finding What you need :)

I will be heading over around 12 EST time...my Wife probably won't like it because that's her lunch time and she'll have to watch the boys for a bit but oh well. I'm hoping to find some DS stuff since I just got a 3DS.

I think it's funny to think about all my other fellow east coasters who aren't tied down and are able to dash over there right at 10am.

Just left a store where the employee refused to ring up my $19.99 games that I paired with $14.99 games saying he received an email specifically stating not to allow this. I left everything at the counter. Did he just punk me?

[quote name='Deathchamber']Just left a store where the employee refused to ring up my $19.99 games that I paired with $14.99 games saying he received an email specifically stating not to allow this. I left everything at the counter. Did he just punk me?[/QUOTE]

Wtf ? you should report that.

I think el hoardo is in the Akron Ohio store with me. He has a big stack of games and keeps walking in and out.

hope we get some stories rolling in soon, im sure the early worms are hard at work at their local bbvs right now

ill have to wait until 1pm est

[quote name='Deathchamber']Just left a store where the employee refused to ring up my $19.99 games that I paired with $14.99 games saying he received an email specifically stating not to allow this. I left everything at the counter. Did he just punk me?[/QUOTE]

I would have played his little game and bought a $19.99 game along with a $14.99 game then leave those in my car, rinse and repeat. If that's how they wanna play it then that's how it gonna be. Dumbass employees.

Just left a store where the employee refused to ring up my $19.99 games that I paired with $14.99 games saying he received an email specifically stating not to allow this. I left everything at the counter. Did he just punk me?
just tell him ok i just want to buy these 2 games anyway and see what happens. what's he gonna do refuse to sell them to you. and tell him to learn to read.

[quote name='icarusmight']I would have played his little game and bought a $19.99 game along with a $14.99 game then leave those in my car, rinse and repeat. If that's how they wanna play it then that's how it gonna be. Dumbass employees.[/QUOTE]

Never rinse before you repeat! That's why they call it sloppy seconds! Lol.

I'm getting jealous, I hope my store isn't empty when I get off. Way too many resellers here.

Tried at another store which had most of the same games. The guy felt stupid when he was trying to tell me DR2 was $45 and it rang up $20. However, it still didn't work with the $19.99/$14.99 combo of games. I've wasted enough gas, I'm going back home.

I have a few questions before I head out. One I already asked, but it must have gotten overlooked.

Do you get both discs with Halo ODST?

And, if I buy two $14.99 games and two $6.99 games during the same transaction, am I going to get the $6.99 games for free or am I going to get one $14.99 and one $6.99 game free? Hopefully the latter.

I just got turned away at store #92555 in Columbia, SC. I tried to buy LBP and SSF4 for ps3. Lady said there was no b1g1 and that she did not know of one. I had her total out the games and they came to 32.xx.

They had the 5 for 20 blu rays though.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Hows everyone doing so far ? As for me, i got exactly What i waited. 2 Mario galaxy 2 and 2 force unleashed 2 for 360. Perfect condition with manual for all four ![/QUOTE]

did everything ring up without a problem?

How much was Mario Galaxy 2?

[quote name='henry00x']did everything ring up without a problem?

How much was Mario Galaxy 2?[/QUOTE]

Galaxy 2 was 24.99 and it rang up without a problem. i did 2 seperate transactions to make Sure

No Go at 2 Long Island NY stores , one said the sale starts after the 4th on tuesday, and other store it wasnt ringing up . To his credit he tried what he could but it just wasnt flying . $19.99 and The $14.99 games just rang up at the same prices and when he did the sale the same thing , his thinking was that after the total button was pushed the games would reflect B1G1 :(

[quote name='AukeySeven']Holy crap I got 2 Mafia II's for $14.99!!

J/k lol Darkvulture[/QUOTE]

Lol there should be a troll of the week award here on cag, he would have clinched it with last might's epic proformence

[quote name='strait edge follower']Lol there should be a troll of the week award here on cag, he would have clinched it with last might's epic proformence[/QUOTE]

Idk if he was trolling, or just stupid! Lol... Another migrant from dumbassgamer.com...

[quote name='dabamus']I think el hoardo is in the Akron Ohio store with me. He has a big stack of games and keeps walking in and out.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know there were Akron stores left. All the ones in west Akron are gone.

[quote name='Tsel']So, the sale is a no go so far? Looks like only one CAG has made out. :([/QUOTE]

If i was able to make out with What i wanted then everyone should be able to do this sale to. If they give you problems then report them

Never had a problem at my store before, even when the employees didn't know about it. For the last sale they had signs up and a section just for it though so I'll definitely stop in today.

I am now kinda scared that this won't work though. At least my local store isn't out my way at all so no biggie if it's a no go.

[quote name='locater918']I got Uncharted 2 and medal of honor for 16.04 out the door.
i think they had to scan a barcode for it to work.[/QUOTE]

Huh I'd be interested to know then if at the stores it hasn't worked at if they scanned the barcode. What, did they have it in their little binders or something?

[quote name='henry00x']ill give it a try during my lunch (1pm est) but right now for some reason looks like its ymmv, which shouldnt be the case[/QUOTE]

Last time I saw this happen it was because regional managers were being dumb and not letting their stored take part in the sale. I think the managers in question got in big trouble

[quote name='JKSonic']Huh I'd be interested to know then if at the stores it hasn't worked at if they scanned the barcode. What, did they have it in their little binders or something?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tsel']I have a few questions before I head out. One I already asked, but it must have gotten overlooked.

Do you get both discs with Halo ODST?

And, if I buy two $14.99 games and two $6.99 games during the same transaction, am I going to get the $6.99 games for free or am I going to get one $14.99 and one $6.99 game free? Hopefully the latter.[/QUOTE]

You get both disk's and you should do two seperate transactions like i did just in case

Seems like it's not automatic in the system like it usually is; I might have to re-think my strategy of going out today, if I'm gonna have to argue with every worker who doesn't know about the sale, get them to call someone about the barcode, etc...

[quote name='strait edge follower']You get both disk's and you should do two seperate transactions like i did just in case[/QUOTE]

Thanks! :applause:

I just got back from my run. I grabbed NCAA 11 (PS3) and Toy Story 3 (360) and they rang up correctly for 21.xx after tax.

[quote name='erock']I just got back from my run. I grabbed NCAA 11 (PS3) and Toy Story 3 (360) and they rang up correctly for 21.xx after tax.[/QUOTE]

Was Toy Story the $15 game or the $20 game?

[quote name='erock']I just got back from my run. I grabbed NCAA 11 (PS3) and Toy Story 3 (360) and they rang up correctly for 21.xx after tax.[/QUOTE]

well i guess thats success story #2?

[quote name='JKSonic']Huh I'd be interested to know then if at the stores it hasn't worked at if they scanned the barcode. What, did they have it in their little binders or something?[/QUOTE]
The manager said something about a barcode to the employee ringing me up,but I was talking with another customer and wasn't paying attention to what they did.

No go in VA Beach. They are gonna hold the games till the manager gets in at 5 though. I walk there in 3 minutes so no gas wasted, just time, but at least I got some Vitamin D. Dang its hot!

I ended up getting
:ps3:Uncharted 2
:ps3:GoW Collection
:360:Skate 3
:360:Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
:360:Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11
:360:Split Second
:360:Iron Man
:360:Iron Man 2

for ~$70. I got screwed out of $.40 or so, because she rang them up the way SHE thought I would get the best discount and I was going to get screwed out of $5. She told me that it would take 10 minutes to void out $75 worth of merchandise to do separate transactions and it was the best possible deal. Then she started reading back stuff to me and she must have saw what I was trying to do and said "Oh, it looks like it's only $5 off. It'll take about 10 minutes to do this though." I said "Ma'am, I'm sorry about that, but I'd rather save the $5 then not have it." So she ended up just subtracting $5 from the total and let me go on my way.

Also got, on Blu Ray:
Prince of Persia
Toy Story 1
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
The Happening
Book of Eli
Sleeping Beauty
LotR: FotR
LotR: TT
LotR: RotK

for $43.20. Later this afternoon I will be hitting two more BB's up that are an hour away. Thanks for the heads up Hawaiiboy. Got some awesome movies and games this time.

And for anyone curious, there was a ton more of the $.99 DVDs at my store. A couple more boxes and a lot of actually good stuff. I'm thinking about going back and getting Sicko, Brooklyn's Finest, and The Invention of Lying.

[quote name='tosu']I just got turned away at store #92555 in Columbia, SC. I tried to buy LBP and SSF4 for ps3. Lady said there was no b1g1 and that she did not know of one. I had her total out the games and they came to 32.xx.

They had the 5 for 20 blu rays though.[/QUOTE]
Damn, that's one of the stores I was going to hit up this afternoon. That's good about the Blu Rays though, that's the primary reason I'm heading up there. The store in Sumter is good on the games though if you want to make a drive. Plenty of SMG2's it looked like.

Snaged my games no problem :3 Thanks HB

Also I read some people having problems with Dead Rising and 20+. I just went and got DR 2 + WKC no problem for 21.

i picked up star wars fu 2 14.99

mafia 2 14.99

dead rising 2 19.99

wkc 14.99

rang up 35.40 ....barcode did not work and she had to go in a delete the lower priced games

ha ha got mafia 2 and star wars for 14.99 no misprint in the price all 50 copies they had was that price

call is you don't believe me 586 412-0600 its michigan

Sale worked exactly as advertised at my store. So happy. I was the only one there got everything I wanted...10 games total for 105the bucks. Only flipping one.

[quote name='JKSonic']Was Toy Story the $15 game or the $20 game?[/QUOTE]

Toy Story 3 was marked and rang up as the $15 game. It was the only one they had and she had trouble finding it, so i thought it might have been a mismark, but it looks right on the receipt. I didn't watch closely, but I didn't see her scan anything extra. There was no confusion at all, it was the first (and only) total.

[quote name='darkvulture']i picked up star wars fu 2 14.99

mafia 2 14.99

dead rising 2 19.99

wkc 14.99

rang up 35.40 ....barcode did not work and she had to go in a delete the lower priced games

ha ha got mafia 2 and star wars for 14.99 no misprint in the price all 50 copies they had was that price

call is you don't believe me 586 412-0600 its michigan[/QUOTE]

Where's that recipt you were gonna show us? lol

bread's done
Back