The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tsel']Beautiful Katamari! :hot::hot::hot::hot:[/QUOTE]

Hahah, yeah I sold my original copy a while ago and planned on keeping this one now finally for myself. Then I saw the TIV and figured I would get rid of it yet again...

Though part of me wants to keep it still, I love the game.

[quote name='BrolyB593']Hahah, yeah I sold my original copy a while ago and planned on keeping this one now finally for myself. Then I saw the TIV and figured I would get rid of it yet again...

Though part of me wants to keep it still, I love the game.[/QUOTE]

Lol, i ended up getting rid of mine after playing it for a while again. Then again, it isnt as rare as it was before. Atleast considering you can just buy it off Xbox Live for cheaper than what most people sell it for.

I went back after work yesterday and picked up SMG2 and Split/Second. SMG2 had an unused Donkey Kong Returns (???) Club Nintendo code. Score!

I recently moved... And it seems the 2 BBVs that used to be in this neighborhood have closed since they aren't coming up on the store locator.

[quote name='metallicoholic']Reading about all these price differences really makes me frustrated with the Blockbuster stores in my area. I went to 3 separate stores and prices were all over the place, but SWFU2 was $19.99 in every store, and it looked like they had just re-stickered it too, so I didn't bother asking. So it's $14.99 right?

I almost picked up Modnation Racers but it was labeled as $19.99 and I saw here someone said $14.99. Unfortunately it didn't have an original case.

If I get bored tomorrow I might go back and check out the store across the street from me but the lack of proper labeling makes me want to avoid this sale all together. Nearly half the Blus I picked up tonight had the wrong label and of course the employee was completely surprised when they rang up differently.[/QUOTE]
You've got it all wrong. Mislabelled games are your friend. With the help of Hawaiiboy and this forum, you know the correct price while others believe they are higher or not qualifying for the sale. Thus they leave the games for you, the informed CAG.

i'd like to thank el hoardo for cleaning out the toms river,nj store by noon, taking every copy of all the decent games and then stand there casually inputting the next store into your gps so you can go destroy the inventory on that one too,did it ever occur to you that maybe some other people would like to enjoy them instead of you buying the inventory to sell at the local flea markets? thanks.....d!ck :shame:

I dont know if its one store only but I was in a store in Orlando yesterday when the guy told me they had .99 cent blu rays that morning and were cleaned out. He said they may be slated for another shipment on Wednesday. Ask your local blockbuster, he didnt seem to think it was unique to his store.

Picked up soul caliber 4 (14.99) got Wolfenstein free (was priced $16.99) saw a bunch of Halo reach (29.99) BlOps (didn't get the price) killzone 3 (labeled 44.99) and mvc3 (34.99) Wish they would raise the price of the free game selection...

[quote name='Otherguy676']I dont know if its one store only but I was in a store in Orlando yesterday when the guy told me they had .99 cent blu rays that morning and were cleaned out. He said they may be slated for another shipment on Wednesday. Ask your local blockbuster, he didnt seem to think it was unique to his store.[/QUOTE]

Any change of $.99 BR this weekend? should i hold out on the BR until monday?? thanks

[quote name='PapaSmerf']You've got it all wrong. Mislabelled games are your friend. With the help of Hawaiiboy and this forum, you know the correct price while others believe they are higher or not qualifying for the sale. Thus they leave the games for you, the informed CAG.[/QUOTE]

True to some degree of course. SWFU2 is being reported at $14.99 according to Hawaiiboy but ModNation Racers at $14.99 is not, thus it seems that price point is YMMV. I hate asking them if the games are ringing up any cheaper because I feel like such a douche. But I had to do that yesterday with some BDs. In that instance, having them mislabeled worked out because I managed to snag a bunch of titles that I wanted that no one else bothered with.

[quote name='smackattack']BOOOOOOO! PS3 selections sucks as it is in my area (south la, north OC counties) but the guy at the La Habra store told me someone rolled in from Irvine (about 30 miles) and cleaned the place out spending about $500.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I was going to head there today, too. Same thing (and I think same person) happened during the last B1G1 at the Rosemead/Whittier location. :cry:

[quote name='pasolini']that must explain why there's never much in any of the blockbusters in Phx. I wonder if el horado hits the east valley too where i live.[/QUOTE]

The Blockbuster at Southern and McClintock in Tempe still had a few things as of last night... not great, but a few things. They have a ton of MOH (360) and Fallout:NV (Both platforms). Picked up Enslaved and MOH for $15, and 2 $10 games. The one on Ray and Dobson has nothing, and wasn't even advertising any kind of sale.

[quote name='n0vak99']i'd like to thank el hoardo for cleaning out the toms river,nj store by noon, taking every copy of all the decent games and then stand there casually inputting the next store into your gps so you can go destroy the inventory on that one too,did it ever occur to you that maybe some other people would like to enjoy them instead of you buying the inventory to sell at the local flea markets? thanks.....d!ck :shame:[/QUOTE]

Looks like central Jersey has someone going around buying a lot of games up because there was a post about a similar situation in the brick store. Good thing I am up north.

Someone in the movie-side Blockbuster thread said that they took a bunch of $.99 cent rental Blu Rays up to the register, titles confirmed to be $9.99 or under for the sale, and they rang up 5 for $20. Hawaiiboy, what is the story on this?
I am assuming that it is not supposed to be allowed. Will that work though, if there is a title or two that someone wants that isn't available to purchase? Just throw a rental copy in and see if they catch it?

Oh Blockbusters....you shady shady bastards :D

At two stores i checked today they had Enslaved for 16.99, and Kingdom Hearts: Recoded for 17.99. (Quite a few games were oddly priced)

Tried having them scan them to be sure, and apparently they were trying to keep thier best stock until after the deal ends.

Saw a crapton of Medal of Honors and Battlefield BC2, but i think im going to wait incase i luck out and find Uncharted 2 or Ninety Nine Nights 2

Very disappointing list of drops. Prices effective Monday July 4 which is also the last day Of the sale.

:ps3:
Bulletstorm $24.99
Guitar hero warriors $19.99
Homefront $44.99
Two worlds 2 $24.99

:360:
Bulletstorm $24.99
Front mission $24.99
Guitar hero warriors $19.99
Homefront $44.99
Legend of guardians $19.99
Splatterhouse $19.99

:wii:
Legend of the guardians $14.99
Lego star wars III $34.99
Pokepark picachus adventure $24.99

At two stores i checked today they had Enslaved for 16.99, and Kingdom Hearts: Recoded for 17.99. (Quite a few games were oddly priced)
Enslaved
:ps3: $19.99
:360: $14.99

Kingdom hearts re
$14.99

No blu ray price drops and no .99 cent blurays. Not sure how that 1 person reported that they would be back on Monday but nothing came down indicating that.

Nothing on that list interest me and sad to hear about no .99 cent blurays, but thanks for the update nonetheless!

[quote name='dgwillia006']Oh Blockbusters....you shady shady bastards :D

Tried having them scan them to be sure, and apparently they were trying to keep thier best stock until after the deal ends.[/QUOTE]

As Hawaiiboy pointed out, those are not the correct prices. They aren't being shady - something else is going on. Either this is a franchise store (where the prices can be anything), or, possibly, they were telling you the new game pricing. They could have labeled them that way and then if they scanned the barcode and didn't pay attention to the screen, they may have just told you the new game pricing.

It bears repeating since so many people seem to think BBV pricing is YMMV: PRICE ARE UNIVERSAL ACROSS ALL CORPORATE STORES! If HB says a game is a certain price, then it is a certain price. Yes, there will be mistagged items and sometimes they even put the wrong little white bar code on a game (and thus that scans incorrectly as well). But the prices are always the same.

I still don't know why the clerk at my local store told me LOTR Fellowship of the Ring was $12.99 when I was buying a set of blu-rays. He scanned it right in front of me and told me that. So either he was lying, looking at the wrong pricing info, or the bar code was wrong. I picked it up later at a different store as part of the 5 for $20 deal. He did give me the third degree about why I was buying 2 copies of Star Wars Force Unleashed II so maybe he was just screwing with me. Of course, what I then did since I couldn't find another movie I wanted was to pick up a second copy of Toy Story 3. So if he was screwing with me for being a "hoarder" (though 2 copies of something hardly qualifies), it backfired on him ;).

[quote name='guinness7']Looks like central Jersey has someone going around buying a lot of games up because there was a post about a similar situation in the brick store. Good thing I am up north.[/QUOTE]

its some wierd looking bald guy in his 50's maybe, the clerks in toms river said he was headed to brick and then working his way north, i'm sure half of what he's buying he won't sell at the flea market, mostly copies of last years sports games and pretty much any other decent game

I can't imagine him making a profit off of some of the stuff he got. I'm surprised he didn't scoop up all of the Star Wars TFU2 and New Vegas copies as well...he wasn't too picky if he was buying multiple DS Spider-Man games.

Sucks because Brick was the last one in reasonable driving distance for me, used to have Neptune, Wall, Ocean, Howell and Shrewsbury.

picked up Medal of Honor (again, i bought it on release but traded it a while back) and Toy Story 3 for Xbox 360. Really interested to see how Toy Story 3 is...

[quote name='n0vak99']its some wierd looking bald guy in his 50's maybe, the clerks in toms river said he was headed to brick and then working his way north, i'm sure half of what he's buying he won't sell at the flea market, mostly copies of last years sports games and pretty much any other decent game[/QUOTE]

:lol: It's sounds like you're talking about a hurricane or tornado, which I guess would accurately describe some hoarders.

[quote name='pasolini']that must explain why there's never much in any of the blockbusters in Phx. I wonder if el horado hits the east valley too where i live.[/QUOTE]

qf all kind of t. i just finished going to school in the valley, and now im back in chicago. but jeeze blockbusters always got cleaned out SO FAST whenever they had any remotely good video game sale.

Hboy i guess no .99 BR this time around?

Sad story at BBV today, i went to two stores and they both told me this deal is for 14.99 and under ONLY game. So sad that i know it is not true. and they will not give me a free game for buying 19.99 game.
Finally i called and when to the third store, And the guy know what he is doing, and I got Bloodstorm
MofH
both on 360.
He also asked me on which store told the wrong deal and he is going to talk to the BIG BOSS.

Found HOMEFRONT on 360 marked for 19.99 on the first store but they will not sell it to me. WTF!!!!! I personally think if you have no idea on what deal your OWN company is running.... You should be FIRE!!!!!

Anyone have a $9.99 and under BR list? thanks

Going to participate in this deal for the first time since it started yesterday. Hopefully, there will be something left, maybe they restocked something the initial runners missed. Don't really want to come home empty handed after a trip to my local Blockbuster.

Where do you live in the East Valley
I had no trouble finding anything at the BB I went to of course the ones I went to are far East side like ellsworth/baseline and power/baseline. There was a very good selection and I just bought was games to play. fuck flippers!

Where do you live in the East Valley
I had no trouble finding anything at the BB I went to of course the ones I went to are far East side like ellsworth/baseline and power/baseline. There was a very good selection and I just bought games I wanted to play. fuck flippers!

Oh yeah heres my haul

iconps3.gif

Kane and Lynch 2 9.99
Split Second 14.99
SWFU2 Free
Dantes Inferno 9.99
EA MMA Free
MoH 14.99
MoH for my bro Free

I bought 8 games for the price of 1 brand new game I love these sales. I got
medal of honor
uncharted 2
metroid other m
fallout new vegas
lego harry potter years 1-4
crackdown 2
mercenaries 2
transformer war for cybertron

Hit up my Blockbuster earlier today and walked out with:

2x Skate 3 (PS3)
Transformers War for Cybertron (360)
Medal of Honor (PS3)
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (360)
TV SuperStars (PS3)

....for $40 + tax. Couple flips on Goozex and a bunch of keepers - awesome deal!

Appreciate the heads up!

[quote name='guitarguy']wish mine had MOH and UC2...anyone have it at their's? i'll pay ya for it![/QUOTE]

I saw a few of both yesterday. 1 had a complete UC 2; MoH I dont recall.

I have a MOH online pass for 360 and one for PS3. I'm not sure if they are used. If anyone needs one let me know.

Edit: sent out both via PM.

Got:
$10 Mario Hoops 3 on 3
Haze
$15 Heavenly Sword
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Wii

Looked at my receipt as I left, cashier charged me an extra $5. I guess they gave me the 2 $10 games for free. Instead of 1 of the $15 games for free.

I suppose I'll let it slide since I didn't say anything about ringing it seperately/they were really busy. My/this Blockbuster seems to be really doing poorly on sales.

This was the first time I ever saw this Blockbuster busy. Everybody else there was after the sales on DVDs.

At the Fisher's landing in Vancouver, WA the clerks would not allow me to purchase Dead Rising 2 for 19.99 and get a 14.99 game for free. They said if another store is doing that they'll get fired.

Is there anything I could do to get them to honor the sale?

Man I just got 2 games at my local store, 1 to keep and 1 to flip. I wanted to flip SWFUII for the xbox and I realized it doesnt have a manual. The excitement of finding a game I want always means that I never check for manuals and end up getting screwed. Could I just go back to BBV and tell them this game didnt have a manual and I'd like one or am I stuck with this?

Dammit, my only nearby BBV sucks so bad now. I went there almost exclusively to look for Medal of Honor, but they had NONE. If anyone can't find a 2nd game they want and could pick me up a copy for Xbox 360, I'd be happy to split the cost and cover shipping.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Got:
$10 Mario Hoops 3 on 3
Haze
$15 Heavenly Sword
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Wii

Looked at my receipt as I left, cashier charged me an extra $5. I guess they gave me the 2 $10 games for free. Instead of 1 of the $15 games for free.

I suppose I'll let it slide since I didn't say anything about ringing it seperately/they were really busy. My/this Blockbuster seems to be really doing poorly on sales.

This was the first time I ever saw this Blockbuster busy. Everybody else there was after the sales on DVDs.[/QUOTE]

wow, mario hoops was marked $14.99 at my store. I would have bought it if I knew it was really $9.99.

Second Haul today, at the store in Stratham, NH.
Kingdom Hearts Recoded x2
Disney all star party x2
Medal of Honor 360 x4
Ninety Nine Nights 2
Metroid Other M
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11
Wheel of Fortune x2
Star Wars the Force Unleashed 360 x2

Good day for flips, left plenty for anyone near stratham NH

bread's done
Back