The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by my local BBV yesterday to 'scout.' Nothing exciting, unfortunately. Looks like I'll be sitting this one out.

So the sale "officially" starts today. That is, unless some hoarder at your local store went in yesterday and got them to honor the same and already got all the good stuff... right?

And for further clarification....Will this sale require a barcode for them to scan or will it be automatic? I read back through about 10 pages and last I saw someone mentioned they "might" need a barcode. Anyone have any clarification on this.

The BBV "near" me is 40 minutes away. I called yesterday morning and the lady told me it started yesterday. Drove all the way over there, found a jackpot of stuff and then she told me she was wrong and has no idea when it starts. Want to avoid another 1.5 hours wasted so if anyone can help clarify this for me that would be great. It's sad that I used to work at BBV about 4 years ago and I still know more than the employees that work there. It's like you have to hold their hand through everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cg1407']And for further clarification....Will this sale require a barcode for them to scan or will it be automatic? I read back through about 10 pages and last I saw someone mentioned they "might" need a barcode. Anyone have any clarification on this.

The BBV "near" me is 40 minutes away. I called yesterday morning and the lady told me it started yesterday. Drove all the way over there, found a jackpot of stuff and then she told me she was wrong and has no idea when it starts. Want to avoid another 1.5 hours wasted so if anyone can help clarify this for me that would be great. It's sad that I used to work at BBV about 4 years ago and I still know more than the employees that work there. It's like you have to hold their hand through everything.[/QUOTE]

It should start today and they will need to scan a barcode. When I was there yesterday the guy tried a barcode...it will be the same one they used last time. After scanning the code he said it was not good until 8/30 (today).

[quote name='cancerman1120']Nothing in that range at your store then?[/QUOTE]
nothing I don't already have. was hoping to pick up a few higher priced games

I picked up Enslaved and GOW Collection both marked at $14.99 w/B1G1. North of Atlanta. Technically that's 3 games, $5 per game!!

[quote name='locater918']nothing I don't already have. was hoping to pick up a few higher priced games[/QUOTE]

Mine said they're not sale until labor day weekend

[quote name='mrwogs2']Sale was on here in Ohio. Didn't pick anything up though, my backlog is huge! Lots on sale.[/QUOTE]

What area of Ohio? Store I went to had no signs up anywhere.

[quote name='Bargain Hunter Bob']What area of Ohio? Store I went to had no signs up anywhere.[/QUOTE]
South Euclid store had a pretty good inventory and had signs up. I only walked out with N3 II and Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox 360.

I do have to say that I wish the "kids" wouldn't keep the manuals when they rent games...

PS - For those still wondering, they did have to scan a bar code for the sale.

Was up and running here. Not much of an under 15 selection at that store, but I did get :ps3: Enslaved and Mindjack for 16 and change.

Manager was training a new girl (pretty cute), heard him tell her it was automatic, then he proceeded to have to override it. Wanted to suggest try a bar code, but didn't want to mess with him while be was training her.

[quote name='haywire69']This sucks,why are some people getting the promo and some are being turned down?HB is this thing on yet or is it YMMV?[/QUOTE]

Apparently, each individual store has to 'activate' the sale from their register for it to be valid, and they have to find a barcode included in their store materials, so basically some stores that don't have it have employees that are not in the know, lazy, or just plain slow.

[quote name='carldisc']Has anyone successfully purchased a game above 14.99 and got the sale to work? Really hoping to pair Bulletstorm with Splatterhouse.[/QUOTE]

Those are both $19.99 games, I think you have to pair each one with a $14.99 or lower

[quote name='AukeySeven']Those are both $19.99 games, I think you have to pair each one with a $14.99 or lower[/QUOTE]

Splatterhouse 360 is 14.99.

If I had opted for a game over 15 they my store would have done it. Manager was explaining that to the new girl, and they had hand written signs up stating so.

Just got back from blockbuster on woodforest in Houston. Picked up the last copy of L.A. Noire and a copy of dead to rights retribution, there wasn't a lot of games for under $14.99 just DtR, prince of Persia the forgotten sands, AC 1, Fallout new Vegas. SWFUII was $19.99 and Dead Space 2 was $24.99. I did see one copy of enslaved for $14.99 I didn't pick it up because the game doesn't look fun to me.

i was the first customer at 10:01, so manager had to activate it at register, but was nice enough. slim pickins at the AUSTIN S.CONGRESS & OLTORF store. mostly wii shovelware, no ps3, few crap xbox. i picked up what i could, SWFU2 + 007 bloodstone, and bloom blox2 + Hawx. hopefully any of these are fun. if anyone wants to trade my 15 ones for a copy of splatterhouse, PM me please!

No luck here either, either way didnt look like they had much of anything worth buying @_@. I cleaned out most of the stores last time, and i still havent touched most of the games i got yet....

[quote name='Kablasia'] I did see one copy of enslaved for $14.99 I didn't pick it up because the game doesn't look fun to me.[/QUOTE]

Bummer for you. I'm about 2/3 through this game right now (I picked it up during the last BOGO) and it is a really fun game. Great visuals, and a really unique art style. A lot of running, climbing, jumping a la Uncharted, and a pretty solid combat mechanic. The strong suit of this game is the story though. It's pretty unique. It's a shame this game didn't really find an audience. I wouldn't say it's a 5 star game, I wouldn't pay $60 for it, but at $7.50-$15, it feels like a steal.

[quote name='brianace']Bummer for you. I'm about 2/3 through this game right now (I picked it up during the last BOGO) and it is a really fun game. Great visuals, and a really unique art style. A lot of running, climbing, jumping a la Uncharted, and a pretty solid combat mechanic. The strong suit of this game is the story though. It's pretty unique. It's a shame this game didn't really find an audience. I wouldn't say it's a 5 star game, I wouldn't pay $60 for it, but at $7.50-$15, it feels like a steal.[/QUOTE]

I think I got it for 10 bucks but it's probably my favorite game of the past few years. Fun gameplay, good story, and great graphics/style. It reminds me a lot of Beyond Good and Evil.

Thanks for the topic in general and keeping it pretty updated... but I don't see where it says when the sale runs UNTIL... Is it all week? Only a few days?...

Got the deal but the manager had to manually enter the discount for me. He said they didn't get signage but knew about the deal. He was in a frazzled mood because apparently the 1.99/.99 game rental codes were reversed by corporate this week so it's creating a lot more work for him.

[quote name='JKSonic']Thanks for the topic in general and keeping it pretty updated... but I don't see where it says when the sale runs UNTIL... Is it all week? Only a few days?...[/QUOTE]

HB's original announcement said 8/29-9/5. Not sure if that's changed since obviously the original memo was wrong with the 8/29 start.

Hm...if a manager has to manually do the overriding then this might be more of a hassle. Worth it if one is able to find decent games that they don't already own. Will have to check in a little bit.

I picked up :ps3: Tron: Evolution and :ps3: Dead Space 2: Limited Edition for $16.18 total. I'm a sucker for cheap games even though I still haven't played games I bought from the last sale. Was at the BBV store in Brooklyn, Ohio.

[quote name='spideymike']I picked up :ps3: Tron: Evolution and :ps3: Dead Space 2: Limited Edition for $16.18 total. I'm a sucker for cheap games even though I still haven't played games I bought from the last sale. Was at the BBV store in Brooklyn, Ohio.[/QUOTE]

I thought DP 2 was $20...

Picked up :ps3: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, :ps3: Force Unleashed 2, :ps3: Singularity, and :360: NBA Jam. Everything rang up right, they knew about the bar code, and NBA Jam even had the correct 9.99 price.

Yeah, I just got denied to do a game above 14.99 for the BOGO; I wanted to pick up Splatterhouse for PS3 and a $14.99 game but the guy told me no. Also, he didn't have the coupon either so he had to manually discount the game.

I figured, if he had to manually override that anyway, why couldn't he just let me get Splatterhouse?

I was overjoyed when I walked in and saw 4 copies of goldeneye for wii for $7 a piece. Couldn't justify paying the $15 for used when It was $10 new a few weeks ago. Sadly it rang up $15 and decided to pass as I grabbed STFU2 for me and friends. They did have about 15 stfu2. Grabbed those and PoP/frontlines for $7. Also 2 trons for me and my wife.

This store had all signage up and most of the games that were $14.99 or less separated out. Made it extremely easy. Everything rang up at register properly with all discounts applied automatically.

Both Blockbusters were very adamant about it being ONLY 14.99 games, I politely mentioned that last time it was buy ANY priced game and get a 14.99 or below free and they pointed at the sign from the original sale and said NO IT SAYS IT RIGHT HERE. One even opened an email and read it out loud, saying ONLY 14.99 GAMES ARE B1G1. At the second store I managed to get a new employee to try ringing up a $20 game and see if it would work... and it did. The manager was suprised but let it happen anyway.

Ended up with...
:ds: KH RE:Coded
:ps3: Mindjack
:360: Mindjack
:ps3: SWTFU II
:360: SWTFU II
:360: Fable III
:360: Splatterhouse
:ps3: Uncharted 2

Also ALL of the strategy guides were 75% off. Got:
Animal Crossing City Folk
Dragon Age II
Halo Reach
Bioshock 2

For $5 each.

[quote name='handsomepete']An employee just told a 5 year old girl when she asked about Alice Madness Returns "It's just like Alice in Wonderland!" Oy![/QUOTE]
Yikes. Hey, little girl. Try this scotch, it tastes just like butterscotch. Say, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

[quote name='Luuc']Both Blockbusters were very adamant about it being ONLY 14.99 games, I politely mentioned that last time it was buy ANY priced game and get a 14.99 or below free and they pointed at the sign from the original sale and said NO IT SAYS IT RIGHT HERE. One even opened an email and read it out loud, saying ONLY 14.99 GAMES ARE B1G1. At the second store I managed to get a new employee to try ringing up a $20 game and see if it would work... and it did. The manager was suprised but let it happen anyway.

Ended up with...
:ds: KH RE:Coded
:ps3: Mindjack
:360: Mindjack
:ps3: SWTFU II
:360: SWTFU II
:360: Fable III
:360: Splatterhouse
:ps3: Uncharted 2

Also ALL of the strategy guides were 75% off. Got:
Animal Crossing City Folk
Dragon Age II
Halo Reach
Bioshock 2

For $5 each.[/QUOTE]

I thought Fable III was $20 or $24?

[quote name='doodmandood']Was going to get TFUII and Dead Rising 2. DR2 was $19.99 and I tried to convince the guy to bump it down. He did not.

No deal was made and I left.[/QUOTE]

Why didn't you just buy DR2 and get TFU2 for free? That still sounds like a good deal, or was your store only doing a B1G1 free on $14.99 and under games?

bread's done
Back