The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nosqadupper']Anyone know the email for blockbuster's customer service? Or somewhere else I can complain? I went today to get Transformers and Kirby and the guy working first told me the sale only applied to games 14.99 and under. I asked him if he could just try and ring it up and see what happens. He refused to do it. After saying that I've bought games over 14.99 before he finally agrees to call his manager who then tells him that I'm right. Then the games both ring up for 19.99. So this time I ask him if he can go into the system and accept the new prices. He asks me how I know that and if I work for blockbuster. I tell him that I don't but I know about price drops and the procedure from the internet. He then starts ranting about how I don't work there so i don't know and I'm wrong. I tell him that I was right about the games over 14.99 and ask if he can just check to see if there are any price updates available. He refuses and claims he can only sell the game for what it rings up as and that I'm wrong and starts yelling at me to get out.

I left and went to the next closest blockbuster who also didn't have the prices updated but gladly updated them and I was in and out with both games in 5 minutes. Normally I'd just let it go, but the guy was so rude[/QUOTE]

You should have knocked over a rack of magazines or DVD's and stormed out of there.

Alright I keep seeing posts about BBV not having the correct prices today. I do not feel like reading ALL the posts here to find out as the OP does not have it eiother. So can someone please post the new price adjustments and when they are SUPPOSED to be live.

Thank You

[quote name='Pliskin101']Alright I keep seeing posts about BBV not having the correct prices today. I do not feel like reading ALL the posts here to find out as the OP does not have it eiother. So can someone please post the new price adjustments and when they are SUPPOSED to be live.

Thank You[/QUOTE]

also is this sale for used games only?

so buy one get one free but free has to be under 14.99?

Wait so this thing is going on for another week now? Kind of strange but ok..

I suppose I'll stop in after school tomorrow and see if they restocked or anything over the weekend (although I highly doubt it).

Also, was the price drop to 15$ on Test Drive Unlimited 1 or 2? HB's post said TDU not TDU2 so I was confused about that. I guess if I can find a good 15$ game to pair it up with that shouldn't be such a bad purchase. I think they had a copy in stock last time I went but it was marked 20$.

[quote name='Pliskin101']Alright I keep seeing posts about BBV not having the correct prices today. I do not feel like reading ALL the posts here to find out as the OP does not have it eiother. So can someone please post the new price adjustments and when they are SUPPOSED to be live.

Thank You[/QUOTE]
Price drops effective monday 9/5 also the last day of the b1g1 sale

:ps3:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
F1: 2010 $19.99
Gran turismo 5 $34.99
Little big planet 2 $29.99
Portal 2 $24.99
Shift 2 unleashed $24.99
Splatterhouse $14.99
Transformers war for cybertron $14.99
Wwe smckadown vs raw 2011 $19.99
Move start the party $14.99
Move fight lights out $14.99

:360:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
Lego star wars III $29.99
Test drive unlimited $14.99
Two worlds 2 $19.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $19.99

:wii:
Call of duty black ops $24.99
Epic Mickey $14.99
Guitar hero warriors $14.99
Kirby epic yarn $14.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $14.99

[quote name='mr mellow']Price drops effective monday 9/5 also the last day of the b1g1 sale

:ps3:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
F1: 2010 $19.99
Gran turismo 5 $34.99
Little big planet 2 $29.99
Portal 2 $24.99
Shift 2 unleashed $24.99
Splatterhouse $14.99
Transformers war for cybertron $14.99
Wwe smckadown vs raw 2011 $19.99
Move start the party $14.99
Move fight lights out $14.99

:360:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
Lego star wars III $29.99
Test drive unlimited $14.99
Two worlds 2 $19.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $19.99

:wii:
Call of duty black ops $24.99
Epic Mickey $14.99
Guitar hero warriors $14.99
Kirby epic yarn $14.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $14.99[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info :applause::)

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Anyone traded in Brink or Hunted: The Demon's Forge today? Was wondering if the TIV's had stayed the same.[/QUOTE]
Xbox version still holding at $22, while the PS3 version dropped from $22- $19 as of today.

[quote name='showtimefolks']also is this sale for used games only?

so buy one get one free but free has to be under 14.99?[/QUOTE]

From what I understand it is supposed to be any used game will get you a free used game $14.99 and under. But the first game has to be of equal or lesser value of the second game. You can also buy a used game of higher value but the second game HAS to be one that is $14.99 or under.

Now that I read this I am not expalining it very well maybe someone else can help out...

[quote name='donkeydrop']Epic Mickey, Splatterhouse for PS3, NBA Jam, Singularity. There's some 6.99 Wii shovelware games but the names escape me right now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, back when the BBV thread started, people were friendly and hate a nice list of the best flips in the 1st post. This was back when the 360/PS3 JUST launched. People are mean now.

i turned $83.xx into $182.xx between two blockbusters. i went to three, but the second one i went to hadn't updated prices and had a crap stock. sucks because they had a few splatterhouses and an epic mickey.

I got crazy lucky. Got 3 Epic Mickeys, 2 Splatterhouses, some FO New Vegas, and Enslaved... the manager goofed and gave me one of the Epic Mickeys for free so the total was $81.

Traded them all into Best Buy for like $132.

I'm heading to another BB right now to get even more flippable games...

Well, grabbed 2 copies of Medal of Honor. Store had like 10 of each @_@, will make decent fodder towards the 7 for 30% at Gamestop.

Also saw Uncharted 2 for 14.99, but they didnt have anything to match it with

[quote name='Pliskin101']From what I understand it is supposed to be any used game will get you a free used game $14.99 and under. But the first game has to be of equal or lesser value of the second game. You can also buy a used game of higher value but the second game HAS to be one that is $14.99 or under.

Now that I read this I am not expalining it very well maybe someone else can help out...[/QUOTE]

I saw the ad in one of the stores and read the fine print. It's supposed to be buy one 14.99 or less get another 14.99 or less for free.

Those are old signs. They were never sent new ones for the last couple sales.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']So the b1g1 starting Monday is the same as last time. Buy ANY priced game and get a game $14.99 or under free. Lower priced game is free.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hawaiiboy']I mentioned this earlier but I'll post it again. We never received the proper signage last time to promote the sale how it is intended So they informed us to use the old signs that say b1g1 $14.99 and under BUT to inform customers on exactly what the sale is. You figure over a month later they would have sent us the correct signs for this sale but nope so we are stuck using the same old signage.[/QUOTE]

The closest BBV has 2 Epic Mickey's and 2 Kirby's Epic Yarns. Price tags weren't updated but Google Shopping is showing the updated price. I'll probably go buy them tomorrow.

so went to BBV and they had Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash Up so im like cool let me get blur with this why not. so i go pay and they cant find Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash U. guess someone stole it oh well didnt buy anything

[quote name='dabamus']Pics coming when I get home, but who is the asshole buying 41 games at the north royalton store?[/QUOTE]
:lol: You're just mad it wasn't you buying those all up.:razz: So when ya paying back the CAG's ya owe money to?:booty:

Not sure. But I'm still trying to figure out how 75% off of $19.99 is $6.25 for some $19.99 guides at my closest BBV, while others at the same price are $5.00 flat.:roll:

So I almost had a bad story to come back with, but all that changed later in the day. :applause:

LONG STORY AHEAD!

Went to the closest BBV to take advantage of the price drops at around 11:15AM this morning, hoping to allow enough time for the price acceptance, or at least stickering to cause confusion once they scan wrong. I got there and checked; the stickers were wrong. So I approached the lone employee to ask about drops and she claimed nothing had dropped. She did offer to check though, so she scanned Epic Mickey and it of course scanned at the old price. I tried to inform her of the new price acceptance policy and she would hear none of it, she just kept shaking her head and telling me that they're automatic and if they didn't drop in that store then it wouldn't be dropping, since "all stores are different." So yeah... I put back everything I had and left. Lost cause.

Second store: I walked in and immediately asked if any games had dropped in price. The dude in there recognized me from last week and walked over with the sheet of drops printed out and said "just give it back when you're done." Hah! Why couldn't the other store be as awesome? So yeah, walked out with a couple new games. :bouncy: They were much friendlier than that other woman and even discussed the games I was buying.

After a long day I decide to try the first store again at around 6:30, hoping there'd be another employee there. There was, of course, and when I asked him about drops he said he hadn't heard of any and left it at that. I was discouraged but very tired of arguing so I went to browse the games anyway. After about a minute he walked over and handed me the price drop sheet, saying "apparently she didn't get around to doing this this morning. Just give it back when you're done." Hah! Competent employees are awesome. When the games scanned wrong he waltzed over to another computer to accept the drops and everything went perfectly from there. Why can't all employees be that knowledgeable?

To make it even better, as I was about to leave he apologized that one of the games was lacking cover art and informed me that they accept trade-ins and typically give more than Gamestop. I had written off trying to trade-in stuff since the employees always seem to be so completely clueless, so that was a welcome surprise! I may actually trade some things in there; assuming he is the one working...

So yes, great day! Ended it with 10 games in total, and with that I am done with this sale. :cool:

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']Is there a code for the guides or does the computer discount them automatically?[/QUOTE]

If they've accepted the recent price drops then it's automatic. That's how it worked at one of the stores I went to, anyway.

Not sure. But I'm still trying to figure out how 75% off of $19.99 is $6.25 for some $19.99 guides at my closest BBV, while others at the same price are $5.00 flat.:roll:

some guides are $24.99 like dragon age.

[quote name='Luuc']If they've accepted the recent price drops then it's automatic. That's how it worked at one of the stores I went to, anyway.[/QUOTE]

The store I went to this morning said quite the opposite. While this manual price drop might be a pain in our arses now, there seems to be a good reason for it. It let's corporate known what stores are keeping on top of things because they are supposed to update the prices once they have stickered the product. I imagine that stores that fail to update the prices in a timely manner consistently will get some unwanted attention.

Went into a store at pretty much 10 am on the dot, recognized one of the girls as the store's new manager who I had talked to a few days prior for a bit, so I had high hopes. Snagged 2 copies of Splatterhouse on PS3 and 2 copies of Epic Mickey walked up and said, "So I was told that these games are supposed to have price drops today." The girl laughed and made some joke like, "who told you!" acting like it was a big deal and went to check the list, saw the games on there and updated them. There was a small glitch, when, right before she updated the prices the power flipped off for a second and we had to wait for the computers to restart. :lol: Other than that, all good. She did ask me again how I knew about the price drops and just said I have a friend who works at a blockbuster in another state and tells me these things.

Didn't mention it was Hawaii. :lol:

Side note, got a coupon for a free 99 cent movie rental with the purchase, and then when I used it got another coupon for a 99 cent movie rental cause they have a deal for rent 1 get 1. So Basically I appear to have unlimited 99 cent movie rentals for a while now.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']The store I went to this morning said quite the opposite. While this manual price drop might be a pain in our arses now, there seems to be a good reason for it. It let's corporate known what stores are keeping on top of things because they are supposed to update the prices once they have stickered the product. I imagine that stores that fail to update the prices in a timely manner consistently will get some unwanted attention.

Went into a store at pretty much 10 am on the dot, recognized one of the girls as the store's new manager who I had talked to a few days prior for a bit, so I had high hopes. Snagged 2 copies of Splatterhouse on PS3 and 2 copies of Epic Mickey walked up and said, "So I was told that these games are supposed to have price drops today." The girl laughed and made some joke like, "who told you!" acting like it was a big deal and went to check the list, saw the games on there and updated them. There was a small glitch, when, right before she updated the prices the power flipped off for a second and we had to wait for the computers to restart. :lol: Other than that, all good. She did ask me again how I knew about the price drops and just said I have a friend who works at a blockbuster in another state and tells me these things.

Didn't mention it was Hawaii. :lol:

Side note, got a coupon for a free 99 cent movie rental with the purchase, and then when I used it got another coupon for a 99 cent movie rental cause they have a deal for rent 1 get 1. So Basically I appear to have unlimited 99 cent movie rentals for a while now.[/QUOTE]

I just cant bring myself to rent anything right now,all i do is buy from them,i hate taking them back,lol.They might come in handy though.

In the sale so far I have got:
Killzone 2 Ps3
MLB 10 The Show Ps3
Bulletstorm-360
Splatterhouse-360
Game Guide for Fable III and LA Noire $5 each.

Looking to sell or trade Killzone 2 if anyone is interested.

[quote name='Stingermck']Mine still had Epic Mickey and Smackdown ringing up at $20 & $25 and wouldn't budge. May try again tomorrow[/QUOTE]Went to two stores and got the same charade. At one store, the manager said she had to do it Tuesday morning cause that is when it is supposed to get done. At the other store, the girl said she had sone the drops update, but the system wouldn't reflect the price changes until tomorrow. So I grabbed a Dead Space 2 (20) and a Lego Harry Potter (15) and they said it had to be two under 15 and that she had tried a pair like that earlier and it didn't work even though she said it had worked before the weekend. I told it just worked at another store and asked them to try. Begrudgingly they did and it worked. Shoulda pushed for them to scan Epic Mickey, but I was in a hurry.

Overall I got several good games to play and got some games to trade into Best Buy and got 40% extra for preordering. Had to do it today as Resistance was one of my five. I got DS2 cause it had an online code and since every copy had one I took a chance it would be good and I could trade it in if it wasn't. It got traded. I got two from my main store yesterday and both of their codes were used too. They usually do well to keep codes behind the counter and put them in boxes when it goes on sale, but they said those DS2s and several other games had been shipped to them from closing stores.

[quote name='Luuc']So I almost had a bad story to come back with, but all that changed later in the day. :applause:

LONG STORY AHEAD!

Went to the closest BBV to take advantage of the price drops at around 11:15AM this morning, hoping to allow enough time for the price acceptance, or at least stickering to cause confusion once they scan wrong. I got there and checked; the stickers were wrong. So I approached the lone employee to ask about drops and she claimed nothing had dropped. She did offer to check though, so she scanned Epic Mickey and it of course scanned at the old price. I tried to inform her of the new price acceptance policy and she would hear none of it, she just kept shaking her head and telling me that they're automatic and if they didn't drop in that store then it wouldn't be dropping, since "all stores are different." So yeah... I put back everything I had and left. Lost cause.

Second store: I walked in and immediately asked if any games had dropped in price. The dude in there recognized me from last week and walked over with the sheet of drops printed out and said "just give it back when you're done." Hah! Why couldn't the other store be as awesome? So yeah, walked out with a couple new games. :bouncy: They were much friendlier than that other woman and even discussed the games I was buying.

After a long day I decide to try the first store again at around 6:30, hoping there'd be another employee there. There was, of course, and when I asked him about drops he said he hadn't heard of any and left it at that. I was discouraged but very tired of arguing so I went to browse the games anyway. After about a minute he walked over and handed me the price drop sheet, saying "apparently she didn't get around to doing this this morning. Just give it back when you're done." Hah! Competent employees are awesome. When the games scanned wrong he waltzed over to another computer to accept the drops and everything went perfectly from there. Why can't all employees be that knowledgeable?

To make it even better, as I was about to leave he apologized that one of the games was lacking cover art and informed me that they accept trade-ins and typically give more than Gamestop. I had written off trying to trade-in stuff since the employees always seem to be so completely clueless, so that was a welcome surprise! I may actually trade some things in there; assuming he is the one working...

So yes, great day! Ended it with 10 games in total, and with that I am done with this sale. :cool:
[/QUOTE]Glad yours did better than mine.

I went to my local store and the manager who knows me was super cool and updated the prices for me. I bought Kirby and Epic Mickey for $14.99, both complete with manuals and completely scratch free. There were hardly even any fingerprints on them. I was very impressed. These must not have been rented heavily.

Thanks again to Hawaiiboy for the price drop list and the continuous updates.

I wish I didn't already buy the Epic Mickey Collector's Edition off Amazon. It's not as fun as I thought it would be but hopefully the BB TIV holds so I can get rid of this copy.

Regarding the blockbuster Total access online rental program.

If I bring in a Online rented game can I exchange it for a movie instore?

And how much of a discount do I get if I exchange an online movie rental for a game in store?

Managed to grab Kirbys Epic Yarn and Metroid Other M right at the end of the night. The fella was doing price changes right before close. I managed to not buy anything until the last day. Couldn't say no to those for $7.50 each.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Managed to grab Kirbys Epic Yarn and Metroid Other M right at the end of the night. The fella was doing price changes right before close. I managed to not buy anything until the last day. Couldn't say no to those for $7.50 each.[/QUOTE]

You know the sale is extended to 9/12?

I forgot to mention earlier that I got Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for PS3 today as part of the sale. Must've been restocked yesterday because I don't remember it being there earlier in the week. I haven't seen it anywhere at any store for that matter... and it was marked $9.99 which came out to $5 after the B1G1. Not the best flip but by far the cheapest I've seen it anywhere... and it was flying off the Target Clearance shelves at $10 a couple months ago.

got

hulk ps3 6.99
mass effect 2 4.99 xbox360
duke nukeum and fear 3 strategy guide $5 each

all the strategy guides are 75% off too

test drive 2 xbox360 14.99
fable 3 19.99
gt5 39.99

[quote name='Abeja']O man I hope it goes til the 12th.[/QUOTE]

A manager at one of my local stores volunteered that the sale had been extended. I think HB has good info.

[quote name='bgame2']A manager at one of my local stores volunteered that the sale had been extended. I think HB has good info.[/QUOTE]

So if it does get extended, does that mean a chance of higher priced games to drop to $14.99? Or just more time to hit up more other Blockbusters? *I'm new to the B1G1 Blockbuster sales*

Yet another BBV story for those who, like me, like to read em.

Went to one BBV around 10:30am, only the manager was working. I brought up Epic Mickey and Splatterhouse, asked him to check the prices and he immediately got defensive. He checked em at least then said they were still the old price. I made sure to act a little dumb, but I asked if he'd accepted any price drops today yet and he started bullshitting me about there not having been any price drops and how they only drop prices on Sunday. He then started asking where I was getting my info from; so I told him an "employee at some other store". He started to say how they were wrong and he was right so I just said that I was probably misquoting them and asked him to hold my games and left.

Went around to some thrift stores to take advantage of the labor day sales (got a bunch of complete PS1 games for 5 cents a piece and diablo 2 battle chest for $1 among other things). So just before I was headed home, I stopped in at a random BBV just to check if they had done the price drops there. I ran into a old friend of mine from high school I had not seen in years. Asked him about the price drops. His manager said that a manager from another store had called them asking about them specifically regarding the games I had on hold (lol) and that there was no price drops. She even gave me the list she had so I could verify. While she was doing this, my old friend was over at a register...he then calls the manager over, she gets a bit quit and then calls up the other manager! Tells him there was a price drop and that he needed to accept his "POGS". She then has to walk him through the process on the phone.

Went back to the previous store and got my games. Thankfully I ran into my friend because no one else seemed to wanna budge on the subject whatsoever.

bread's done
Back