The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Darkhate']We still have a 5 for $20 blurays at the bbvs around here. I picked up 10 (Takers, Avatar, I will post the rest here later.)[/QUOTE]
Lucky you! Mine only have 5 for $20 on previously used DVD. =/

Traded Red Faction Armageddon PS3 for $19 today (Thurs, Oct. 27th that is). Now I have that money sitting on my account at my local store - most likely won't be using it unless there is a B1G1. Much to my surprise, I didn't have to fill out the trade forms again. It has been a long time since I traded a game to BBV. Before when I would visit some far-flung store and it had been a year or so I'd have to fill out the forms again.

[quote name='io']Traded Red Faction Armageddon PS3 for $19 today (Thurs, Oct. 27th that is). Now I have that money siting on my account at my local store - most likely won't be using it unless there is a B1G1. Much to my surprise, I didn't have to fill out the trade forms again. It has been a long time since I traded a game to BBV. Before when I would visit some far-flung store and it had been a year or so I'd have to fill out the forms again.[/QUOTE]
I see my store is already restock their games for sale too. See some stuff I like but waiting for a B1G1 sale.

Maybe someoen can confirm this, but it seems their TIV is just about 40% of the game's current price.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I know I'm forgetting a couple. Maybe Fable? [/QUOTE]

Yeah, Fable had one. I still have my Fable one.

c'mon please have a 5 for $20 bluray

the sale is still going. it never stopped from 4th of july or labor day. i dunno but its been going on for a long time. if its a corporate store it will ring up that way even though the employees are telling you otherwise.

The scary thing is the other stores are remodeling, this store is not. Red flag?

stores are going to be remodeling til beginning of next yr so i wouldnt worry about it closing. its just they are doing it slowly so not everyone is getting done at the same time.

Hey hb any new price drops this week ?

ill find out tomorrow sometime. the only price drop last week was :ps3: shoot $9.99
there have hardly been any price drops at all for the past month.

[quote name='io']Traded Red Faction Armageddon PS3 for $19 today (Thurs, Oct. 27th that is). Now I have that money sitting on my account at my local store - most likely won't be using it unless there is a B1G1. Much to my surprise, I didn't have to fill out the trade forms again. It has been a long time since I traded a game to BBV. Before when I would visit some far-flung store and it had been a year or so I'd have to fill out the forms again.[/QUOTE]

Right on IO. Me too, I haven't trade to BBV since the good ol'e days of Monster Madness ($5 BBY -> $30 BBV, and Beowlf $10 -> $30 BBV). Those were good times...

[quote name='Daring']Right on IO. Me too, I haven't trade to BBV since the good ol'e days of Monster Madness ($5 BBY -> $30 BBV, and Beowlf $10 -> $30 BBV). Those were good times...[/QUOTE]

Woah those flips are insane ! I wish I was on cag when these were happening lol

[quote name='Daring']Right on IO. Me too, I haven't trade to BBV since the good ol'e days of Monster Madness ($5 BBY -> $30 BBV, and Beowlf $10 -> $30 BBV). Those were good times...[/QUOTE]

Heh, and I don't even think of those as the "good ol' times". That was kind of the last hurrah I suppose... There were many good times before that ;). I'm trying to remember that one game (one of the few, actually) that I broke. It was $4 at TRU and traded for $30 I think. Some stupid Wii game... Anyone remember that?

[quote name='io']Heh, and I don't even think of those as the "good ol' times". That was kind of the last hurrah I suppose... There were many good times before that ;). I'm trying to remember that one game (one of the few, actually) that I broke. It was $4 at TRU and traded for $30 I think. Some stupid Wii game... Anyone remember that?[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that the Wii version of Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer?

If I remember correctly, that was around the time when BBV's junior detectives really started coming out of the woodwork. I also think it was one of the last great Kunai super-flips (once he found out about it) of 10 copies to every BBV in his town. He had to hire people to trade in for him.

I could be mistaken though (about Kunai). But I'm sure the game io is talking about was FF:RotSS (Wii).

[quote name='io']Heh, and I don't even think of those as the "good ol' times". That was kind of the last hurrah I suppose... There were many good times before that ;). I'm trying to remember that one game (one of the few, actually) that I broke. It was $4 at TRU and traded for $30 I think. Some stupid Wii game... Anyone remember that?[/QUOTE]
For a second I thought you were talking about Cranium Kabooki(which may still be a viable flip if you can find it cheap enough;)), but I believe JAR is correct and it was Fantastic Four: ROTSS.;)

Almost forgot about Kunai. Here are some I can remember:
Red Ninja
Driver: Parallel Lines
Matrix: Path of Neo
Marc Ecko's Getting Up

Some of the good flips I remember for the PS3/360/Wii era at least were Cranium Bukkake, Legendary, Monster Madness, Fantastic Four: RoSS, and two other games which I can picture, but just can't think of the name right now.

[quote name='mvp828']Some of the good flips I remember for the PS3/360/Wii era at least were Cranium Bukkake, Legendary, Monster Madness, Fantastic Four: RoSS, and two other games which I can picture, but just can't think of the name right now.[/QUOTE]

Just wont die...

[quote name='JAR']Wasn't that the Wii version of Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer?

If I remember correctly, that was around the time when BBV's junior detectives really started coming out of the woodwork. I also think it was one of the last great Kunai super-flips (once he found out about it) of 10 copies to every BBV in his town. He had to hire people to trade in for him.

I could be mistaken though (about Kunai). But I'm sure the game io is talking about was FF:RotSS (Wii).[/QUOTE]

YES, that was it. I had completely forgotten what it was. At least I had the system correct ;). I don't remember if djkunai was all in on that one or not.

[quote name='Devil May Cry']Just wont die...[/QUOTE]

Something about it just sticks on you. Err, with you...

While it wasnt as high of a profit margin as say Singstar PS3 or Monster Madness, I loved me some Fatal Inertia flipping just because of how many I got($13 @ Amazon -> $36 BBV)
fi.jpg

On the opposite side, one of the flips I most regret was back in 06 when TRU had Grandia 3 for around $5 and I was flipping them to BBV for $12. Right now on ebay, there's one for $40 then all the rest are $65+.

The best flips were when BBY has those crazy free game coupons. Im a fedex driver and I hit all 5 BBYs in a 100 radius getting 9 of each and then hitting each BBV in those towns. I made about 400 in credit bought a ton of PSN cards and sold them cheap to people.

[quote name='juden66']The best flips were when BBY has those crazy free game coupons. Im a fedex driver and I hit all 5 BBYs in a 100 radius getting 9 of each and then hitting each BBV in those towns. I made about 400 in credit bought a ton of PSN cards and sold them cheap to people.[/QUOTE]

Nice... That explains why my UPS driver never gets around to my house until after 6:00pm
:lol:

[quote name='Daring']Nice... That explains why my UPS driver never gets around to my house until after 6:00pm
:lol:[/QUOTE]

lol he said Fedex. The UPS drivers have about 3x as many deliveries and carry pee bottles. :lol:

[quote name='donkeydrop']lol he said Fedex. The UPS drivers have about 3x as many deliveries and carry pee bottles. :lol:[/QUOTE]

True but we work just hard with 3x the area, 1/3 of third pay, no benefits, and the same pee
bottle.

[quote name='edavis0780']Almost forgot about Kunai. Here are some I can remember:
Red Ninja
Driver: Parallel Lines
Matrix: Path of Neo
Marc Ecko's Getting Up[/QUOTE]
That Marc Ecko's game was getting a decent TIV at BBV?:bomb: Damn. Here I was buying it from Circuit City en masse for I think $5-6 a copy on clearance(LE version to boot) and dumping it on FYE for $20-25 a pop in CASH.

I remember there was much bitching by my fellow local CAG's cuz I cleared out both local CC stores and wouldn't give one of them I bumped into ONE out of my stack of 3-4 I had.:lol:
[quote name='Daring']Don't forget the awesome coupon - 5 used games for $20 at BBV.[/QUOTE]
I remember people posting pictures of hundreds of games they bought with that coupon. I also remember printing ONE copy up and being DENIED since they had finally realized it wasn't a coupon that was intended for the whole chain or a fake or whatever. That was one time I regretted not having a printer at home.:cry: Of course, I still haven't bought one, since I rarely print shit up. So going to the library still works fine enough for me.;)

Probably a waste of time asking but any new price drops Hawaiiboy?

No price drops this week but we are transferring almost 1300 blu ray from rental to pvd (used). Every store is getting a transfer but the amount will vary from store to store .

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']For anyone who bought Saw II (ps3) on Amazon for $5.99, it trades in for $12 at BBV as of Saturday.[/QUOTE]
Good to know, thanks!

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']For anyone who bought Saw II (ps3) on Amazon for $5.99, it trades in for $12 at BBV as of Saturday.[/QUOTE]

Ugh I still haven't gotten my 3 copys of that game yet

[quote name='strait edge follower']Ugh I still haven't gotten my 3 copys of that game yet[/QUOTE]
no worry, BBV TIV is reliably slow to drop :lol:

[quote name='hawaiiboy']No price drops this week but we are transferring almost 1300 blu ray from rental to pvd (used). Every store is getting a transfer but the amount will vary from store to store .[/QUOTE]
When will the stores start receiving the transfers?

so we just finished our Q4 meeting and bbv is having a ton of new promotions. i'll just post what pertains to this thread. i dont have an exact start date yet but i believe it is going to be within the next 2 weeks. also not sure if this is just a holiday promo or going to just be the regular pricing scheme from now on. i'll update when i have more info. have not heard about any b1g1.

ALL $14.99 and under pre played (used) games will be 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99. it also includes gift packaging if you want it.

i'll post this over in the dvd thread too but its the same deal for both regular dvd's and blu rays. ANY previewed $14.99 and under movie is 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99.

if anyone wants the entire rundown of promos let me know and i can list them or just pm me so we dont clutter this non existant thread with non game related stuff.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']so we just finished our Q4 meeting and bbv is having a ton of new promotions. i'll just post what pertains to this thread. i dont have an exact start date yet but i believe it is going to be within the next 2 weeks. also not sure if this is just a holiday promo or going to just be the regular pricing scheme from now on. i'll update when i have more info. have not heard about any b1g1.

ALL $14.99 and under pre played (used) games will be 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99. it also includes gift packaging if you want it.

i'll post this over in the dvd thread too but its the same deal for both regular dvd's and blu rays. ANY previewed $14.99 and under movie is 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99.

if anyone wants the entire rundown of promos let me know and i can list them or just pm me so we dont clutter this non existant thread with non game related stuff.[/QUOTE]

Those promos sound good. I'm very very interested in learning the entire rundown of promos.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']

ALL $14.99 and under pre played (used) games will be 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99.
[/QUOTE]
This sounds... awe-some! Thanks for the info hawaiiboy.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']

[/QUOTE]

This would be good if I can find 3 games that I actually want or worth flipping. Selection have been getting skimpy these days. But other wise, still saving 2.50 or 7.50 from the regular B1G1

[quote name='hawaiiboy']
ALL $14.99 and under pre played (used) games will be 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99. it also includes gift packaging if you want it. [/QUOTE]
:whee: Now to hope that the remaining 2-4 BBV stores either transfer some good shit that qualifies over to used or for a shipment or three from their warehouses or whatever.

Niceee. Definitely putting some money aside. I found a gold mine Blockbuster during the last B1G1. It's about 40 minutes away but it can definitely be worth it. Looking forward to the 5 for 29.99!

[quote name='hawaiiboy']ALL $14.99 and under pre played (used) games will be 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99. it also includes gift packaging if you want it.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Goldeneye, Bloodstone, FF13, Enslaved, and Uncharted 2 for $30? Who needs BF :bouncy:

[quote name='hawaiiboy']
[/QUOTE]

Nice! Love the "gift packaging" too. Give the gift of scratched games covered in stickers with no manuals!

[quote name='dinovelvet']Nice! Love the "gift packaging" too. Give the gift of scratched games covered in stickers with no manuals![/QUOTE]
Not true if you have a PS3 and nitpick what you're buying. Most stores will give ya the coverart/manual/real case and let ya pick between discs if you ask nicely enough.;)

[quote name='Abeja']Wow its even better than B1G1 free or am I wrong here? I guess games 19.99 dont qualify for anything tho.[/QUOTE]

For $14.99 games it is; games would be just short of a $1-$1.50 cheaper (roughly).

Three $14.99 games would end up being $6.67 each before tax. Five $14.99 games would be $6 each before tax. (As opposed to two $14.99 games for $7.50 each with B1G1)

For games $9.99 and under it will cost more than the B1G1.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I find your laziness impressive. I'm not even upset.[/QUOTE]

You could have been more productive and just answered my question. I just quickly read hawaiiboys post about it being Q4, didn't catch the part about not having a set date. No need to be rude in this thread.

[quote name='RealDeals']
Goldeneye, Bloodstone, FF13, Enslaved, and Uncharted 2 for $30? Who needs BF :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

You expect to find UC2 now? Those were wiped out around here even before the last B1G1 sale - none made it through that anywhere I would imagine. Unless there was another round of rental conversions that is - though I think they were down to 1 rental per store before the last sale.

FF XIII I still see around - but I beat and platinumed that long ago, so I'd just get that just to have it again. Can't think of what else I'd get for the 3 or 5 unless a bunch more drops happen before then. I'd probably prefer a straight up B1G1 again but it seems that won't be happening with this promo on the horizon.

Hoping these TIV at BB hold.

FFXIII 7
Metroid 8
Kirby 10
Lego Star wars 8

40 credit depending on the 3 of the 4 after spending 20.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']For $14.99 games it is; games would be just short of a $1-$1.50 cheaper (roughly).

Three $14.99 games would end up being $6.67 each before tax. Five $14.99 games would be $6 each before tax. (As opposed to two $14.99 games for $7.50 each with B1G1)

For games $9.99 and under it will cost more than the B1G1.[/QUOTE]

It definately can be a nice deal for BBV stores that have nice stocks of games for sale. Kind of sucks for stores that might only have 1-2 good titles to pick up or for those wanting games sub $9.99. Still has plenty of potential though, especially if more drops come soon. Thanks for the update as always HB!

[quote name='Gosha']You could have been more productive and just answered my question. I just quickly read hawaiiboys post about it being Q4, didn't catch the part about not having a set date. No need to be rude in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Not intending to play devil's advocate, but you admitted you only quickly read through the post of the person who knows all the details about upcoming deals here for BBV. If you took the time read his post fully rather then jolting off to ask the question you'd known off the bat. Thats on you. Not trying to hate, but most deal threads get full of the same simple questions thats answers are literally a post away from them or in the OP.

bread's done
Back