The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
was wondering why this thread kept popping up to the top, good thing i checked, looks like theres gonna be a big sale this friday, gonna clear out all my local BBV, awesome

Shift 2, Bulletstorm and Spiderman TiV @ BBY dropped to $6. No big deal on Bulletstorm and Spiderman since those are ones I'm adding to my collection.

[quote name='kouleefoh']all trade in values held, so looks like this will be a good sale after all. =). Games already on hold and will be there at 10 to collect my share.[/QUOTE]
Not all of them held unfortunately, but either way the ones I was worried about DID, so :whee:.
[quote name='herpderp118']the better flip values for this are on amazon imo[/QUOTE]
Except that not every BBV has mint/complete copies of games, so in that case going in-store where the trades can be done instantly is best.;) It also helps when you know a local shop with a buffing machine for those 'problematic' discs that may not even pass muster at BB or GS.:roll:

What is with the rash of people getting games held for them? We've never really done that on previous sales, have we? Seems like a new and odd thing to me.

really hope we don't run into any problem tomorrow. Just tryna make an honest living here.. haha

Edit: I didn't want to have them hold my games but with all the folks talking about holding, I don't want to miss out.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only CAG in my area, so I should be good to go. I'm mainly getting games for myself/gifts so I won't be upset if I miss out on anything. I might do a flip here and there though if I can.

[quote name='io']What is with the rash of people getting games held for them? We've never really done that on previous sales, have we? Seems like a new and odd thing to me.[/QUOTE]
I figured I'd ask since I know my one buddy(lude21) from on CAG used to have Hollywood Video hold stuff for him during their $5 sales. Can't hurt to ask. The most they can say is NO.;)

So long as I get my ass to bed soon I should be good to go before 10am this morning. I just wish I had a doppleganger or a buddy who could hit up the next closest store while I'm buying the held games at the one just down the road from me.;) Thing is, since those ones are on hold for me, I could always hit up store #2 FIRST, then come back for store #1 and then go from there.;)

I've been doing a LOT of Google Shopping searches and I've even turned up some DS and other games that qualify but that I don't see on a list anywhere in the OP.;)

For example: :ds:Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Mini Land Mayhem is showing $14.99 and in stock by me.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I figured I'd ask since I know my one buddy(lude21) from on CAG used to have Hollywood Video hold stuff for him during their $5 sales. Can't hurt to ask. The most they can say is NO.;)

So long as I get my ass to bed soon I should be good to go before 10am this morning. I just wish I had a doppleganger or a buddy who could hit up the next closest store while I'm buying the held games at the one just down the road from me.;)

I've been doing a LOT of Google Shopping searches and I've even turned up some DS and other games that qualify but that I don't see on a list anywhere in the OP.;)

For example: :ds:Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Mini Land Mayhem is showing $14.99 and in stock by me.:D[/QUOTE]

My bbv had mario mini land recently till some punk swiped it and i never had a chance to get it myself :(

the fact is each BBV has like 2 copies max of any one game, at least thats how it is in so.cal. im not going to drive around to 6+ bb's on a wild goose chase. why wouldnt i ask to hold them

[quote name='herpderp118']the fact is each BBV has like 2 copies max of any one game, at least thats how it is in so.cal. im not going to drive around to 6+ bb's on a wild goose chase. why wouldnt i ask to hold them[/QUOTE]
You obviously weren't around CAG for the great Fallout New Vegas conversion, were you? They STILL have around 10 copies of it for the PS3 at my closest store.:rofl:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You obviously weren't around CAG for the great Fallout New Vegas conversion, were you? They STILL have around 10 copies of it for the PS3 at my closest store.:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Mine acually managed to get rid of all 12 used copys ! I dont know how my bbv did it but i give them props

[quote name='strait edge follower']Mine acually managed to get rid of all 12 used copys ! I dont know how my bbv did it but i give them props[/QUOTE]
Perserverance, I suppose.

My closest store already had a big table loaded up with games/movies that qualify for the same out in the open over towards the PS3 display. Most of the games on there were meh at best($6.99 n barely above stuff;)).

But I'll still check that table out when I get there this morning.

Anyway, I'm finally out so I can go crash till 8-8:30am and get some sleep so I can be somewhat rested to go grab some games(and maybe movies even;)).

[quote name='io']It is killing me not knowing if this is auto or requires a bar code. I plan on being at my local store at 10 tomorrow (or do they open at 11?).

In any case, I added the sale to the OP, and will add it to the title tomorrow if we have 100% confirmation of it being on (like, actually ringing up properly). Of course I expect you East Coasters to report back ASAP and in particular let us know if it requires a bar code.

Has anyone posted this yet?

http://www.blockbuster.com/openhouse

This indicates it starts Saturday so even if it does start tomorrow, and especially if it requires a bar code, I expect lots of us to have trouble getting things purchased on Friday.[/QUOTE]

Can you wait till saturday to put it in the OP so the SD'ers dont see it right away? would be nice to have a days jump on them.

My local store's lease was up and abercrombie put in a large bid on the storefront. So bad news is that my local store 5 minutes from my house is closed (that had $47 of credit that is now in Limbo!!!!).

Good news. 1 store absorbed a majority of the game stock. So you guessed it, this sale is awesome at that store. Lots of rarer games that are hard to find at BBV like UC2, KZ2, Kirby, etc.

Too bad I'm at work till 12:30 then steroid blocks at 1:30. Sending my wife in, which may turn out very badly even though I made detailed instructions...

Crap, won't be able to make it to a store today. Guess I might not get the "epic haul" of games that I had punched into google shopping.

Question - does google shopping update accurately overnight? I can head out first thing tomorrow morning, but I'd like to get an idea of what's still out there since there are a ton of stores around here.

I totally forgot to try to get some games held for me last night. I'll be hitting one today around lunchtime as long as we get a confirmed go for the sale. The store I wanted to hold games at had some middle-aged woman who obviously knew nothing about games snatching up EVERY SINGLE GAME eligible for the sale last time around. Not even exaggerating, it was over 100. THAT'S why people are getting games held.

Did you guys know that BBV opened at 8am nationwide today? I drove around the country buying up all of the games you've put on hold, and flipped them to Babbages for $7,000,000.

[quote name='mrwogs2']Did you guys know that BBV opened at 8am nationwide today? I drove around the country buying up all of the games you've put on hold, and flipped them to Babbages for $7,000,000.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I did the same but only made $6,999,999.

OT: Hoping I can still get in on a few games. My local BBV has Bulletsyotm, DA2 and Brotherhood which I wouldn't mind picking up. Wish they had Metro 2033 though. >

[quote name='mrwogs2']Did you guys know that BBV opened at 8am nationwide today? I drove around the country buying up all of the games you've put on hold, and flipped them to Babbages for $7,000,000.[/QUOTE]

lol. on another note everytime I go to my local BBV they have everything I want. I have the strangest feeling that wont be the case today. Wish I could be there at 10AM but I'm not off work until 4 today.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']My local store's lease was up and abercrombie put in a large bid on the storefront. So bad news is that my local store 5 minutes from my house is closed (that had $47 of credit that is now in Limbo!!!!).

Good news. 1 store absorbed a majority of the game stock. So you guessed it, this sale is awesome at that store. Lots of rarer games that are hard to find at BBV like UC2, KZ2, Kirby, etc.

Too bad I'm at work till 12:30 then steroid blocks at 1:30. Sending my wife in, which may turn out very badly even though I made detailed instructions...[/QUOTE]

i also have the wife going with detailed instructions and a spread sheet.. :D maybe they will meet up and together they will spend all our money on those pens with the spinning buzz lightyear on them

Ok guys. Unfortunately the sale is NOT an auto barcode. The employees must scan a barcode for the deal to ring up. We just received the new sheet this morning so hopefully everyone is gonna check before opening. We all know how Bbv is so unfortunately I'm sure there will be some clueless stores. Just ask them to check the communications update from this morning with the new barcode sheets. Good luck and happy hunting.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Ok guys. Unfortunately the sale is NOT an auto barcode. The employees must scan a barcode for the deal to ring up. We just received the new sheet this morning so hopefully everyone is gonna check before opening. We all know how Bbv is so unfortunately I'm sure there will be some clueless stores. Just ask them to check the communications update from this morning with the new barcode sheets. Good luck and happy hunting.[/QUOTE]

Thanks much for this update. Guess I'll check to see what's left after work today. Sounds like some folks are making this their job :)

[quote name='mrwogs2']. . . and flipped them to Babbages for $7,000,000.[/QUOTE]

I hope you used some of that credit on a preorder for King's Quest, that game looks awesome. ;)

HB is there 2 seperate barcodes 1 for 3 games 1 for 5 games? or is it the same one? also will we be able to do one large transaction with 20 games and have them scan the code 4 times for the deal?

does anyone know how to tell if a store is corporate owned or franchised? i just moved to CT and I have a feeling they're all franchised here. I'm also assuming that matters for this sale, right?

Sorry guys I just deleted my last post to not confuse everyone else. I just tested the deals and it IS an auto barcode. Deal is live so whenever your store opens so good luck.

For those of you who read my first post the barcode I was looking at was the new retail DVD deal.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Sorry guys I just deleted my last post to not confuse everyone else. I just tested the deals and it IS an auto barcode. Deal is live so whenever your store opens so good luck.

For those of you who read my first post the barcode I was looking at was the new retail DVD deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update!!

[quote name='bredbu']i also have the wife going with detailed instructions and a spread sheet.. :D maybe they will meet up and together they will spend all our money on those pens with the spinning buzz lightyear on them[/QUOTE]

Lol I gave my wife a spreadsheet with all the TiV, profit etc. she looks at me and says "what do I do with this?". So I wrote out detailed instructions.

I had them hold the 5 games I wanted (there were multiples of each (fable 3, AC b, da2, Mario mini land and a flip). So at the very least I get the games I want.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Sorry guys I just deleted my last post to not confuse everyone else. I just tested the deals and it IS an auto barcode. Deal is live so whenever your store opens so good luck.

For those of you who read my first post the barcode I was looking at was the new retail DVD deal.[/QUOTE]

Hell yea!

Thanks as always HB, you remain a gentleman and a scholar.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I hope you used some of that credit on a preorder for King's Quest, that game looks awesome. ;)[/QUOTE]

yeah, but I heard you have to have one of those new CGA graphics cards to get the full effect...

[quote name='BudzMcGee']To the guy I always run into at these sales, see you in about an hour.[/QUOTE]

Rofl...

Have yet to meet a CAG. Had a BBV employee that has heard about CAG but that's it.

You're gonna have to post who won the fight. Pics included of course.

Although last BBV sale I did have a soccer mom buy EVERY game 14.99 and under. Luckily it was my second trip to that store and got my share earlier.

[quote name='bredbu']i also have the wife going with detailed instructions and a spread sheet.. :D maybe they will meet up and together they will spend all our money on those pens with the spinning buzz lightyear on them[/QUOTE]

I can't even get my wife to walk into best buy unless she's getting something out of it. You are my hero. :applause:

So does anyone think (since this is the first time they are mixing and matching games and blu's, that buying 10 in one transaction will not ring up correctly?

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Rofl...

Have yet to meet a CAG. Had a BBV employee that has heard about CAG but that's it.

You're gonna have to post who won the fight. Pics included of course.

Although last BBV sale I did have a soccer mom buy EVERY game 14.99 and under. Luckily it was my second trip to that store and got my share earlier.[/QUOTE]

I think I could say I'm up 2-0 at this point. I nabbed every game I wanted but one last time at BBV (He did get one game) but I beat him out of the store and to the next BBV (where I got the game I wanted) by like 15 minutes. Then I managed to get a Warriors of Rock band bundle at Toys R Us and he walked in just as was able to get the very last guitar bundle for one of the other Guitar Heroes (I think 5?). Not really competing though, neither of us seem to be the "I wanted that game, borrow my fist for a moment?" types.

Well my wife just called. I had her hand the phone to the BBV employee who was extremely nice and helpful. Went back and pulled the games I wanted.

Yay for helpful
Employees

[quote name='otakuseth']Sorry if this has been answered. The lady at my local BBV said the sale starts Saturday when i asked. Is it starting today? >

bread's done
Back