The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what games are currently priced at $19.99? I decided to pass on going to BBV today because I'm trying to hold on to as much cash for the BF sales, but if there are some good price drops next week, I may have to check out this sale.

The best wrestling game ever made was No Mercy for the N64. Everyone knows that. SvR11 was the best Smackdown I've played. I enjoyed it quite a bit. And WWE 12 looks pretty sweet. I'm hoping my roommate picks it up so I can just mooch off his.

Back on topic, I forgot to mention the semi strangeness of when I traded in my Dead Island. I bought that game new & was the only one who played it, so it was in almost perfect condition. But the dude (50 something year old man) looked over the disc & case for a good 2 minutes. He even looked through the manual, as if I had torn off the 1st page and stuck that in there or something. He didnt actually say anything about it and eventually finished up with the transaction. I was just wondering if it was just this one guy or if maybe they're being more strict about the games they accept.

IO, the 3 for $20 and 5 for $30 runs til at least the end of the year as well as the retail 3 for $24.99 and 5 for $39.99. i know most of the games will be depleted over the weekend but the sale will be ongoing. its the other stuff thats just this weekend. $.49 rentals, $.49 coke etc.

[quote name='Gertle627']The best wrestling game ever made was No Mercy for the N64....[/QUOTE]

Giant Gram and Fire Pro would like to have a word with you...;)

[quote name='mattcube64']Oh yeah, forgot to post this...

I've run into a few CAG-ers myself in my day. Normally they're pretty nice fellows - one was even a pretty attractive 20-something young woman. I love to talk games, help with a deal, or even offer something I'm holding if you want it.

But to the Asian guy that was at Best Buy when I was flipping games - you're an asshole. Plain and simple. You were a jerk to the employee. You had ridiculous requests. And when a guide isn't pennied out, be nice enough to fucking bring the guide back to where you found it, instead of just dropping it on the floor. C'mon, man.[/QUOTE]

Which Blockbusters do you visit?

Found 5 to keep, and 10 to flip (thanks for the heads up on the Wii titles, mattcube64). The flipped cost me roughly $65 with tax, and I'm flipping them to Amazon for almost $140 credit.

2nd BBV was a bust. They did not have any games I truly wanted and the 2 I would've been ok with (Fable III and NFS Shift II) were both priced 20$. I'm pretty sure this place is franchised as their deals are always slightly different so I'm sure I would've gotten trouble for it. Hell, I don't even think they were doing the deal, did not see any signs whatsoever. Walked out empty handed.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']yea is there a full list of eligible games? (and I mean, just the ones that are most common / possible to find)[/QUOTE]

Yes, the first spoilered list in the OP has the games that are commonly found. That list includes the drops from the last sale and the ones that just happened a few weeks ago.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']IO, the 3 for $20 and 5 for $30 runs til at least the end of the year as well as the retail 3 for $24.99 and 5 for $39.99. i know most of the games will be depleted over the weekend but the sale will be ongoing. its the other stuff thats just this weekend. $.49 rentals, $.49 coke etc.[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll take your word for it - I changed the OP. I will say that I heard 3 or 4 different clerks today tell people that the sale (referring to the used movies mostly) was only for this weekend. But we all know how that goes ;).

[quote name='hawaiiboy']IO, the 3 for $20 and 5 for $30 runs til at least the end of the year as well as the retail 3 for $24.99 and 5 for $39.99. i know most of the games will be depleted over the weekend but the sale will be ongoing. its the other stuff thats just this weekend. $.49 rentals, $.49 coke etc.[/QUOTE]

Hey HB, I know this is a lot to ask but do you have a list of new blu's under 12.99? that you could easily post? IF it would be a ton of work dont worry about it.

Thanks

first + foremost, thanks HB

summary: i went to 10 blockbusters. started at 10 am and ended around 130pm. Picked up $330 worth of games. I have $580 locked in at amazon and i just got $190 from bestbuy

Hey HB, I know this is a lot to ask but do you have a list of new blu's under 12.99? that you could easily post? IF it would be a ton of work dont worry about it.

i'm assuming you mean $12.99 and under right? it would be quite a long list but i can take a look tomorrow and see exactly how long it would be.

Ended up going to 3 Blockbusters today, and found a nice selection of games to add to my collection. Not sure if any of these are flippable but I'm going to keep them all for the time being. As I mentioned earlier, at the second store I went to, the manager who helped me was happy to convert any rentals I wanted to purchases.

PS3
Heavy Rain
Army of Two 40th Day
Dead Space
Ghostbusters
Call of Duty 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Split/Second
MK vs DC
Splatterhouse
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
Test Drive Unlimited 2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Dragon Age 2 (gonna give it another chance)
Dragon Age Origins

Fallout New Vegas
Kane and Lynch Dog Days
Dead Rising 2
Assassins Creed 2
Far Cry 2
Dead to Rights Retribution
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Two Worlds 2
Maria 2
Force Unleashed 2
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock
Tron Evolution

Wii
Metroid Other M
Goldeneye
Epic Mickey

I was denied Horrible Bosses today. It was up at the counter marked $9.99, but they said it wasn't eligible for the sale. I wouldn't have wanted it anyway, it had a different cover that had no back.

Man this deal kinda feels like a bust. Grats to anyone that found a good flip, but trying to get +$2-3 for Star Wars Unleashed 2 or Mafia 2 or whatever feels like a waste of time to me.

What did feel awesome was the fact TV DVD sets were included in the sale. One of the BBVs I went to had a ton of HBO/Showtime sets for $15.

What did feel awesome was the fact TV DVD sets were included in the sale. One of the BBVs I went to had a ton of HBO/Showtime sets for $15.

all stores should have tv box sets at either $14.99 or $9.99. each store received a big transfer of tv stuff in the past 2 weeks.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']i'm assuming you mean $12.99 and under right? it would be quite a long list but i can take a look tomorrow and see exactly how long it would be.[/QUOTE]
Yea thats what i meant if its to long to post you could pm it to me!! either way i would love to have a gameplan before i drive to my closest bbv which is about 40 mins away cuase of all these closings.

Thanks again

Thanks HB. Here's my haul. I'm going to see if the online code works for Need for Speed, and Bulletstorm. If not, oh well. It's still an awesome deal! The only one that was incomplete was Yakuza 3. Don't matter. I'm checking tomorrow after work as well.

CIMG0006.jpg

Tree061

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bredbu']Yea thats what i meant if its to long to post you could pm it to me!! either way i would love to have a gameplan before i drive to my closest bbv which is about 40 mins away cuase of all these closings.

Thanks again[/QUOTE]

Do a double/triple post if you have to. I would like to see what other games are on the list as well. Thanks again!

[quote name='hawaiiboy']i'm assuming you mean $12.99 and under right? it would be quite a long list but i can take a look tomorrow and see exactly how long it would be.[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask the same thing if you have time, but only for new drops. Everything since the last drop you posted which was stuff like:

The fighter
Salt
The other guys
Love and other drugs
Machete
Megamind
Let me in
127 Hours
Paranormal Activity 2

I believe everything up to that point is in the OP of the BBV thread in the DVD and Blu-ray Deals Section, so no need to type all those out again.

At the third blockbuster I was able to get the following:

Dead Space 2
Transformers War for Cybertron
Dragon Age II
Metro 2033
Harry Potter DH2 Bluray!

They were all complete but I'm pretty sure every game was taken out of the case and ran across concrete. I'm trying to install the games now to see if I have to take them back or not. Did anybody else get a 5 disc movie holder thing when you checked out? It looks like a movie reel that holds discs.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']all stores should have tv box sets at either $14.99 or $9.99. each store received a big transfer of tv stuff in the past 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

i didnt see ane sets, any list of these shows? like sopranos?

I had a really wierd run-in with a flipper today. After doing real well at a Blockbuster close to work(I left lots for others), I headed on a run of 3 other stores. My second stop found me watching a guy picking up bunches of games (I was about 5 minutes too late). He was checking cases for manuals so I guess he was trading in at (?) or reselling.

I took off to get to my favorite locale but unfortunately he had beat me to it an hour earlier (employee described him) and had literally gutted the place (I was gonna get my son Pokepark - oh well). On my last stop (he had already been there too) I found several games that were trade ins to BB that he left...I guess he had to have the instructions? Rather strange. I ended up getting a few games for myself and my family and trading in the rest at BB. Spent $160, kept a few games, and still got $312 trade-in credit.

Just picked up-

PS3-

DS2
F1 2010
Two Worlds 2
Front Mission evolved

DS-

Animal Crossing wild world

All complete except AC didnt have a booklet. Thx!

[quote name='mr mellow']Anyone have an idea how much Duke Nukem Forever is? would like to grab that during this sale[/QUOTE]

I think it was marked $29.99 just like Homefront. I didn't have them scan it though.

I finally found El Hoardo today. I was at the BBV at 24 mi and hayes. I was looking thorugh the 360 games and through the rack I hear a rapid shuffling though the games. I look through the wire rack and there he was staring back at me. This particular beast had a scruffy red beard and a hat probably in his early 30's and had what appeared to be his mom with him with a very annoyed look on her face. Through the rack I saw him holding at least 4 copies of WWE SvR 11...??? and a few other games...looking very annoyed that there was not a better selection for him to hoard. This was later in the day and I turned around and went home because I knew that the rest of the stores in the area had been pillaged. On a positive note I would like to thank the store closest to me for being lazy and not pricing their games right. I was able to get the following from them today all priced $19.99
wii party x2
DA II x2
Dead space 2
pokemon pikachu
f1 2010 ps3
mafia 2
wwe 11
ACB

Thank you HB for all the great posts and updates. BBV should make you head of their VG marketing dept :)

[quote name='mr mellow']Anyone have an idea how much Duke Nukem Forever is? would like to grab that during this sale[/QUOTE]

Gamefly has it right now for $5.99 shipped. There's a Gamefly thread on page 1.

[quote name='smashngrab77']I finally found El Hoardo today. I was at the BBV at 24 mi and hayes. I was looking thorugh the 360 games and through the rack I hear a rapid shuffling though the games. I look through the wire rack and there he was staring back at me. This particular beast had a scruffy red beard and a hat probably in his early 30's and had what appeared to be his mom with him with a very annoyed look on her face. Through the rack I saw him holding at least 4 copies of WWE SvR 11...??? and a few other games...looking very annoyed that there was not a better selection for him to hoard. This was later in the day and I turned around and went home because I knew that the rest of the stores in the area had been pillaged. On a positive note I would like to thank the store closest to me for being lazy and not pricing their games right. I was able to get the following from them today all priced $19.99
wii party x2
DA II x2
Dead space 2
pokemon pikachu
f1 2010 ps3
mafia 2
wwe 11
ACB

Thank you HB for all the great posts and updates. BBV should make you head of their VG marketing dept :)[/QUOTE]

Those are the worst kind of people to deal with. I only picked up games that I knew I was actually going to play, and not flip. Couldn't say no to those 5 for $30 games though. I was highly shocked to find Yakuza 3 in stock though. Now I just need to get the other three so I can complete the series.

Here's my "for playing" haul. I won't bore you guys with my "not for playing" haul.

Tron Evolution
Dragon Age 2
Dead Space 2
Two Worlds 2
Test Drive Unlimited 2
Metro 2033
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
Mind Jack
Fable 3
Bulletstorm
Blur

Ps3
Dead Space 2

DS
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Hoops 3 on 3
Mario vs Donkey Kong Mini Land Mahem

I don't know much about the DS because I dont even have one, but I figured that was probably the cheapest I'd find those DS games.

Dragon Age 2 and Two Worlds 2 might end up in the "not for playing" haul. I'll never get to them.

i went to my local BB and saw 10 copies of Super Mario Galaxy 2 stickered at $14.99. i took 2 of them up to the register and it came up at $24.99. the employee went and looked at the othere copies and saw that every copy was priced $14.99. she honored it and i took 3 other games as well. anyone run into this issue yet with SMG 2?

[quote name='darkpice']i went to my local BB and saw 10 copies of Super Mario Galaxy 2 stickered at $14.99. i took 2 of them up to the register and it came up at $24.99. the employee went and looked at the othere copies and saw that every copy was priced $14.99. she honored it and i took 3 other games as well. anyone run into this issue yet with SMG 2?[/QUOTE]

Wow, I doubt this happened to many today with SMG 2. Good job man. That was probably a 1 in a million chance of finding a store where an employee marked all the SMG2's with SMG 1 pricing. Kudos to you sir on that find.

As i brought up a few games to buy that was marked 19.99 - 24.99, i was told that these don't qualify. I kindly told them that its actually 14.99 and the label has not been updated. The cashier check the price and it rung up 14.99. the cashier notify that his manager and the store manager says, "WE BETTER PULLED THOSE GAMES OFF THE SELF BEFORE PEOPLE BUY THEM ALL" He was telling me he don't have many selection and cannot afford to sell all his game a dirt cheap price.

This is BS. This is a corporate promotion and here, he is with holding the promotional goods until the promo ends.

However, just saw that HB says the promo will be to the end of the year. hahahha. i would like to see the look on his face when he gets the memo.

Gah! Can't believe I couldn't make it out today...sounded like a lot of fun. Well I think I'm gonna hit the road at about 8am tomorrow, and cruise out of town to check out 2-3 stores...hopefully they're not totally pillaged.

Those stores are notoriously slow about putting up signage, so I have that in my favor. There is almost no way they had signs up today if the sale doesn't officially kick off until tomorrow. Likely, they'll be putting them up when I go in.

[quote name='Daring']As i brought up a few games to buy that was marked 19.99 - 24.99, i was told that these don't qualify. I kindly told them that its actually 14.99 and the label has not been updated. The cashier check the price and it rung up 14.99. the cashier notify that his manager and the store manager says, "WE BETTER PULLED THOSE GAMES OFF THE SELF BEFORE PEOPLE BUY THEM ALL" He was telling me he don't have many selection and cannot afford to sell all his game a dirt cheap price.

This is BS. This is a corporate promotion and here, he is with holding the promotional goods until the promo ends.

However, just saw that HB says the promo will be to the end of the year. hahahha. i would like to see the look on his face when he gets the memo.[/QUOTE]

Can't say I would go back to that store... cept of course the fact that you know they don't mark the games right but should ring up fine, equals easy finds for you...

Help, I'm having trouble w/ Shift 2 ps3.

I don't have an online pass but searches of various internet forums show that people are able to get into online/multiplayer without the pass.

Has anyone tried this yet? Please try to do so and post your results. So far, I've failed. Let me know how it goes.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Can't say I would go back to that store... cept of course the fact that you know they don't mark the games right but should ring up fine, equals easy finds for you...[/QUOTE]

Very very very true, but it may back fire during brand new price drops because BBV stores have to "accept" price drops now. They are no longer automatic.

picked up

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS3)
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days (360)
Bulletstorm (360)

Would have gotten more, but Skyward Sword comes out on Sunday.

[quote name='smashngrab77']I finally found El Hoardo today. I was at the BBV at 24 mi and hayes. I was looking thorugh the 360 games and through the rack I hear a rapid shuffling though the games. I look through the wire rack and there he was staring back at me. This particular beast had a scruffy red beard and a hat probably in his early 30's and had what appeared to be his mom with him with a very annoyed look on her face. Through the rack I saw him holding at least 4 copies of WWE SvR 11...??? and a few other games...looking very annoyed that there was not a better selection for him to hoard. This was later in the day and I turned around and went home because I knew that the rest of the stores in the area had been pillaged. On a positive note I would like to thank the store closest to me for being lazy and not pricing their games right. I was able to get the following from them today all priced $19.99
wii party x2
DA II x2
Dead space 2
pokemon pikachu
f1 2010 ps3
mafia 2
wwe 11
ACB

Thank you HB for all the great posts and updates. BBV should make you head of their VG marketing dept :)[/QUOTE]

By your haul looks like you got all the good flips.

bread's done
Back