The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sclub']Does anyone know the trade in value for Kinect Adventures? Saw it for $40 used on the shelf.[/QUOTE]

Sheesh $40 I swear I'll snatch up every copy I can find from Gamestop.

Maybe the Kinect Adventures you saw had a really old price sticker? I believe Brink and Duke Nukem each sell for $39.99. Their trade in values are both 17. If Kinect Adventures trades in for $17 I'm going to be really excited and really pissed about all the cash I spent yesterday.

If Kinect Adventures is a good TIV, I have a few pristine copies from when people were buying them for $20-30 each because their kids would ruin the disks just like Wii Resorts.. Gamestop was charging $5 a copy plus B2G1 free at the time..

[quote name='mitemouse']If Kinect Adventures is a good TIV, I have a few pristine copies from when people were buying them for $20-30 each because their kids would ruin the disks just like Wii Resorts.. Gamestop was charging $5 a copy plus B2G1 free at the time..[/QUOTE]

Do they have barcodes for the BBV employees to scan?

I just got off the phone with an employee that doesn't know what I mean by "trade in value" or "buy back value." :roll:

Does anyone know the trade in value for Kinect Adventures? Saw it for $40 used on the shelf.

Holy Crap kinect adventures trades is for $15 and it's $1.99 used at GS. I guess Bbv will now get flooded with kinect adventures. Good luck with trading as I'm sure a lot of stores will get educated on how to do them.

No price drops for next week but a fairly big game transfer. No blu ray drops either.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Holy Crap kinect adventures trades is for $15 and it's $1.99 used at GS. I guess Bbv will now get flooded with kinect adventures.

No price drops for next week but a fairly big game transfer. No blu ray drops either.[/QUOTE]

I feel guilty, but I'm trading one in for sure.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Do they have barcodes for the BBV employees to scan?

I just got off the phone with an employee that doesn't know what I mean by "trade in value" or "buy back value." :roll:[/QUOTE]

No Barcode and Also no Area saying bundle or Not for resale.

I guess I finally know where these are going ..

img20111119124340.jpg

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Holy Crap kinect adventures trades is for $15 and it's $1.99 used at GS. I guess Bbv will now get flooded with kinect adventures. Good luck with trading as I'm sure a lot of stores will get educated on how to do them.

No price drops for next week but a fairly big game transfer. No blu ray drops either.[/QUOTE]

Good look HB! I was planning on swining past GS anyway to pickup my copy of Halo. Is there a limit to how many copies can be traded in? I was thinking of flipping 4 total.

Good look HB! I was planning on swining past GS anyway to pickup my copy of Halo. Is there a limit to how many copies can be traded in? I was thinking of flipping 4 total.

It's supposed to be 2 but it's basically a stores discretion on how many they want to accept. They also might not take them if they have no barcode to scan.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']It's supposed to be 2 but it's basically a stores discretion on how many they want to accept. They also might not take them if they have no barcode to scan.[/QUOTE]

Ill buy 3. If they dont take them Ill just return them to gs. They should take them though as there is a tiv for it and dont all copys have no bar codes

Picked up:

PS3 Blur
Wii Pokepark Pikachu's Adventure
XBOX 360 Dragon AGe 2
XBOX 360 Harry Potte Deathly Hallows 2
PS3 Dragon Age 2
XBOX 360 Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
Wii Green lantern
Wii Monopoly Street
Wii Kirby Epic Yarn
XBOX 360 Fight Night Champion

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Holy Crap kinect adventures trades is for $15 and it's $1.99 used at GS.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty sweet. I'll try one but won't go nuts. Can't really afford to since there aren't many BBVs left around me. I'm pretty sure I bought back the Front Mission Evolved I traded in awhile ago. I think that was my last flip to Blockbuster.

Looks like BBV will be getting a few Kinect Adventures, Microcenter will get a few Kirby Epic Yarns and Dead Space 2's and I will get a new Ipad. ;)

Just called my BB asking for the TiV for Kinect Adventures, and they said they no longer do game trade ins, and that they're starting a new program in a couple weeks so "the customer can get more money..." Is this true? Has anyone had any luck trading in games lately?

Never heard of any new trade in promo. They are probably just bsing u. Ask for the store manager as they might be the only one who would know how to do a trade.

I'll trade in 2 copies of Kinect Adventures. Maybe even 4 on separate occasions. If I can turn $4 into 5 games/blus, that sounds like a sweat deal to me.

well damn..........wish i read this stuff on Kinect Adventures before going to Blockbuster. if im near a gamestop soon Ill try scoping out some copies. Hope that TIV sticks for a while. Surprised no one has brought it up before.

Also picked these up today, all 360:

Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions
WWE SD Vs. Raw 2011
Two Worlds 2
Dead Space 2
Bulletstorm

And they had signage up by the preowned tv show sets saying they were discluded from the sale. Nothing of real interest to me though anyways except maybe The Tudors or DeadWood. But I dont like how the discs are in bulky indiviual cases nd not the actual box they come in.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']Just called my BB and they said the TiV on Kinect Adventures is $34.99????[/QUOTE]

The misunderstood you and gave you the price.

I went by several Blockbusters yesterday and noticed they had a ton of higher priced games such as Brink, Halo Reach, the newest Red Faction, etc. I have listed each game by price to help those with stores that don't update the stickers:

Xbox 360

Bulletstorm $14.99
Metro 2033 $14.99
Lego Star Wars III: Clone Wars $9.99
Medal of Honor $9.99
Transformers: War for Cybertron $14.99
Enslaved $9.99
WWF Smackdown vs Raw 2011 $14.99
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood $14.99
Dead Rising 2 $14.99
Dragon Age II $14.99
Dead Space 2 $14.99

PS3

Bulletstorm $14.99
Dead Space 2 Limited Edition $14.99
Blood Stone 007 $14.99

DS

LEGO Pirates of the Carribean $14.99

Thanks for the information HB.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']well damn.......... Hope that TIV sticks for a while. [/QUOTE]

it won't if people post the hell it of it :wall::wall:

[quote name='strait edge follower']Too late[/QUOTE]

oh good, I was worried you wouldn't have a post on this page too

stressed? lol just pointing out the stupidity of redundancy .... but meh, who cares ....

[quote name='donut']oh good, I was worried you wouldn't have a post on this page too

stressed? lol just pointing out the stupidity of redundancy .... but meh, who cares ....[/QUOTE]

Lol just yanking your chain, Its all good :). Did you get anything from the bbv sale ?

HB do you think any of these stores will be restocked within the next couple of weeks? Or are they pretty much just getting rid of their inventory.

My store didn't have much.
I grabbed:

Dead Space 2
Dragon Age 2
Dead Rising 2
NFS: Shift 2

Wii
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Just Dance Summer Party

Blu Ray
Expendables
Social Network
Resident Evil Afterlife

TV Set
Rome Season One

Took a chance on Rome. Hope it's good.
All that was $64. I did see a copy of F1 but didn't care enough to get it and trade it.
All stuff is for me to play.

I am a bit disappointed though, that every online pass that was in the games that require them was used. I knew it was a long shot, but I thought I could have gotten them. Oh well though, maybe someone will be giving some away in the Free Stuff thread or on GAF or somewhere.

HB do you think any of these stores will be restocked within the next couple of weeks? Or are they pretty much just getting rid of their inventory.

Every store gets a game transfer every week. Like I mentioned earlier it's a fairly big one this week which stores can begin putting them out on Sunday.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']sorry to ask as m sure I may have even answered myself earlier, but how many copies of a game can you trade in to a blockbuster?[/QUOTE]

Just called one and asked if they'd take 2 copies and they said yes, might be a store to store thing though.

[quote name='ev1lg00dguy']Just called one and asked if they'd take 2 copies and they said yes, might be a store to store thing though.[/QUOTE]

Yes it varies. My local store will only take one per customer (they look up your trade history to confirm this). The other stores around me are rather "special" and don't know about trade-ins or how to process them.

Went to my local store with a douche bag manager, said no because of the barcodes. I went to the next one, this time without covers and PRESTO! 2 copies = 30$.

Been to 2 different blockbusters with kinect adventures and have been shot down
The reasoning is that the game doesn't have a UPC code any advice to get around it ?

So the trade in policy says you can trade into BBV without a case? If so, I may just throw the games in a sleeve to avoid any potential problems.

Went to GameStop, bought 2 copies of Kinect Adventures for $4 total, went to Blockbuster, traded them in for $30 store credit, got :360:Portal 2 and a Sprite for free. The guy at the register just looked up the games and didn't need bar-codes which was nice.

I met a fellow CAG as well, who was an "El Hoardo," but a nice guy. He brought his girlfriend and they must have bought 30+ games. He said he owned a shop of his own and heard about the deal, so I wasn't too appalled lol. We were at one of the Columbus, OH locations and the selection was pretty paltry, which is why I went with the $30 Portal 2 instead.

Hey HB, would you check on the TIVs of Crysis 2 for both :360: and :ps3: when you have a chance? Thank you.

Edit: Also curious what Assassin's Creed Brotherhood trades back to them for.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Every store gets a game transfer every week. Like I mentioned earlier it's a fairly big one this week which stores can begin putting them out on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

So a lot of store will be stocking up new stuff on Sunday?

Took advantage of the retail Blu Ray sale today, picked up the following for $40:

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps 2 Disc
Toy Story 1 2 Disc
Natural Born Killers Director's Cut
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen 2 Disc
The Fifth Element

Good deal!

kinda want to get another 5 games. Dirt 2, Kane & Lynch 2, Aliens vs Predator, call of duty 3, and bulletstorm (already beat it and trade it in). But I'm running out of space on my shelves and I gotta reserve spaces for newer game. =/

bread's done
Back