The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='admiralvic']Tried at 9 locations and got nothing[/QUOTE]

9 locations?? Were they all just totally picked over?

i was also shot down trying to trade in kinect adventures to blockbuster because there was no barcode. the clerk even phoned an "experienced manager" who confirmed they cant take a game with no bar code

[quote name='labrat34']i was also shot down trying to trade in kinect adventures to blockbuster because there was no barcode. the clerk even phoned an "experienced manager" who confirmed they cant take a game with no bar code[/QUOTE]

Dang that sucks. In my case they just looked up the game in the database.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']9 locations?? Were they all just totally picked over?[/QUOTE]

I was talking about Kinect ADventures. Sorry thought I mentioned that =[

So just finished my 2 day haul, Spent 105 total on 16 games, just submitted 8 games to trade in to Amazon for a total of 107 in credit, so I got 8 games and 2 dollars for free LOL I LOVE BBV, all the games Im trading in are complete and most have very minimal scratching.

[quote name='Huggybear1688']So just finished my 2 day haul, Spent 105 total on 16 games, just submitted 8 games to trade in to Amazon for a total of 107 in credit, so I got 8 games and 2 dollars for free LOL I LOVE BBV, all the games Im trading in are complete and most have very minimal scratching.[/QUOTE]

That is so fucking sweet! Nice deal.

[quote name='ralph10']Btw who's in the blockbuster on Commonwealth? You left me no Dead Space 2![/QUOTE]

I found DS 2 was rare in my area and might be in yours too. Before the sale I could only find 3 locations (with like 1 - 2 per) that had one.

I picked up a pair of kinect adventures from GS. Turned them into
Fight Night Champions - XB360
Bulletstorm - XB360
Spiderman:SD - PS3
Megamind and How to train your dragon - BLU

Not bad for 4 bucks. I'll likely grab another pair of KA and turn it into 5 Blu's.

Went to BBV and when I asked about trade-ins, the manager didn't know what the hell I was talking about. He kept nodding to everything I said and it was quite obvious that he didn't know. He and the employees kept going on about a CoD tournament which was kind of tempting, but I decided not to participate in as I can't stand MW3 and its maps. Sucks as I had a copy of Kinect Adventures to trade and they had two of the games I wanted (Dragon Age 2 and Tron). Might go back to pick em up and perhaps a movie.

BBV told me they couldnt accept my 2 copies because of strict trading laws against flipping. They said its illegal to buy a game for cheap and trade in to them for a profit.
Sigh, I never get in on these types of deals, makes me want to give up on them. Now ive got to make a trip sometime to return the kinect games

[quote name='denshaotoko']My gs had 18mint kinect adventures. Flipped. Them. All.[/QUOTE]

Holy profits, Batman! O_O

@Artrigis: Lol, flipping being illegal? That might be the most BS excuse I've ever read.

[quote name='Luxuria']Holy profits, Batman! O_O

@Artrigis: Lol, flipping being illegal? That might be the most BS excuse I've ever read.[/QUOTE]

How much did you make?

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Really hope to find something good tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='denshaotoko']My gs had 18mint kinect adventures. Flipped. Them. All.[/QUOTE]

Did you flip them all at 1 blockbuster or several. I cant get away with that cause there is only 1 bbv near me :(

[quote name='PopcornBandit']Does anyone know if Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Vanquish are part of the sale?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is, I just snagged one.

Picked up:
2 Wii Party
Dragon age II ps3
Dragon age II x360
GOW III

Wanted to play GOW so i kept that but traded in the others for $67 at BB. My store didn't have much at all really. Left 1 Wii Party and 1 DA for x360

grabbed 2 kinect adventures and flipped at blockbuster and picked up some games to trade in at best buy. Ended up getting $63 in credit. I'm going to pick up 4 kinect adventures and trade them in tuesday and pick up some games for myself...

bought 4 kinect adventures. Tried trading them without cover art because only 1 had a barcode. (didnt notice 1 had a barcode at the time..but more on that in a bit). They wouldnt accept them without coverart. So I went out to my car and put the covers on. They were skeptical at first because they didnt see barcodes on them. i explained it is a bundled item so there is no barcode. They then noticed a barcode on one. But when scanning it it didnt do anything. So they manually entered the titles. They wouldnt take one of them because it was pretty scratched up..so got $45. With that I bought 6 games:

2 Dragon Age 2 (360)
2 WWE SD Vs, RAW 11 (360)
2 WWE Sd Vs. RAw 11 (PS3)

wish they had more Dragon Age 2s but they didnt. Whats another good flip?

I kept one Dragon Age 2 because I traded mine into a pawn shop to get money for the Kinect Adventures copies.

Traded the rest into Best Buy for roughly $73 after preordering Mass Effect 3.

Wouldnt mind going back later in the week but I dont think they had any good flips. Games that may get half of what I got..I mean $4 into $40 would still be good..but not as good as $4 into $73.

[quote name='Artrigis']BBV told me they couldnt accept my 2 copies because of strict trading laws against flipping. They said its illegal to buy a game for cheap and trade in to them for a profit.
Sigh, I never get in on these types of deals, makes me want to give up on them. Now ive got to make a trip sometime to return the kinect games[/QUOTE]

Besides that being complete bullshit, why did you even mention how much you got it for?

I got:

AssBro 360
Mafia II 360
Dead Rising 2 360
NFS Shift 2 360
Splatterhouse PS3

...not shabby BB, not shabby. Also, yougave me another excuse to type "AssBro" in a post. Best game abbreviation ever.

P.S. for Phoenix CAGs, this was at the BB on McClintock and Southern in Tempe. They still had a fair amount in stock as of 3:30 PM, and it all seemed to be going completely ignored by the throng of MW3 tournament players blocking my way to the register. No offense MW3 guys.

[quote name='salty tbone']That's pretty sweet. I'll try one but won't go nuts. Can't really afford to since there aren't many BBVs left around me. I'm pretty sure I bought back the Front Mission Evolved I traded in awhile ago. I think that was my last flip to Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]
:lol::applause:Funny you mention Front Mission Evolved, since my PS3 copy I traded to my closest BBV is now one of the titles that qualifies for the sale. They actually converted my trade-in to a rental for about 3-4 months, then it languished on the used game shelves and has been slowly dropping from $39.99 ever since.:)

The Bigs 2
Killzone 2
AC Brotherhood
Dead Rising 2
Epic Mickey
Dead Space 2
Fable 3
Kirby's Epic Yarn

Picked all this up for $50. Hell of a sale. They wouldn't take Kinect Adventures, but I have two more BBV's to try.

So curious, how are you guys getting around the 2 per day limit at BlockBuster? Or are you having others do your trade also? Or are they really that strick? Like could I trade 2 at one store, then 2 at another on same day?

[quote name='admiralvic']I found DS 2 was rare in my area and might be in yours too. Before the sale I could only find 3 locations (with like 1 - 2 per) that had one.[/QUOTE]
My closest store didn't have any copies of DS 2, but the next closest one about 5-6 miles away DID. Even better is that another BBV about 15-20 miles away has BOTH DS games in stock, so maybe I'll hit that store next week sometime and grab those two and 3 other titles to keep/play(for now).
Please tell me you're kidding. It's shit like this that kills flips in a hurry.:whistle2:#:roll:
[quote name='Artrigis']BBV told me they couldnt accept my 2 copies because of strict trading laws against flipping. They said its illegal to buy a game for cheap and trade in to them for a profit.
Sigh, I never get in on these types of deals, makes me want to give up on them. Now ive got to make a trip sometime to return the kinect games[/QUOTE]
:lol: It sounds like someone at your BBV was talking out of their ass. I guess every buy low and sell high activity around is 'illegal' according to them, huh? If so, then they better just close up right now cuz they're breaking the law too.;)

[quote name='Jesse757x']Just traded some games in and I guess the credit is attached to my license? I only got a receipt. No physical gift card. Are all bb doing this?[/QUOTE]

yah its tied to your account at that store. same happened with me.

[quote name='Optical']What are the best flips to Gamestop? Id like to save some money on Skyward Sword tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
There are lists of games that qualify for this sale in the OP and there is a Gamestop trade-in value thread complete with regularly updated trade values listed. Cross check the values of games that qualify for the sale with the tiv's listed in the GS value thread and voila.
[quote name='Jesse757x']Just traded some games in and I guess the credit is attached to my license? I only got a receipt. No physical gift card. Are all bb doing this?[/QUOTE]
It's on your Blockbuster account at the store you do the trades at. I don't believe they issue 'value cards' anymore, which used to make your credit portable between stores. But if you go to another BBV store and find something you really want there, you COULD have them call and have the first store transfer your credit to there for you.

man i've been watching the amazon trade in values for all these blockbuster games just keep dropping and dropping since last night lol

they must have an automated system, once they get a certain amount the trade in value keeps dropping so that they dont get overloaded with a title

All of the Blockbuster stores in my area won't accept trade-ins anymore. They tried telling me that every Blockbuster in the country has stopped (which is not true, as the numerous people in this thread that have traded stuff in today can attest to). Is this just a local thing or what? These are not independently owned versions of the stores so I am confused as to why my local stores say they have been noted not to take anymore trade-ins (the manager working there said that another employee took trade-ins during the week and got in trouble or some shit over it from him). At least I found some good stuff for the $3 for $20 deal to play, but it would have been nice to buy it cheaper with trade-in credit instead of cash.

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']man i've been watching the amazon trade in values for all these blockbuster games just keep dropping and dropping since last night lol

they must have an automated system, once they get a certain amount the trade in value keeps dropping so that they dont get overloaded with a title[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Far too many people 'lock in' values before they even have their games in hand. They do this so that if the values have dropped by the time they get out to the stores to grab the games to send in, then they're at least getting the old value and not getting screwed out of X amount.

I'll admit that I locked in a big trade order on Best Buy's trade site before I got the games I did yesterday, since I had no clue if I was going to be able to get out right at opening and get everything I was looking for. Not only did I get everything I went out looking for, but I also grabbed some other stuff I hadn't intended on picking up originally.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'll admit that I locked in a big trade order on Best Buy's trade site before I got the games I did yesterday, since I had no clue if I was going to be able to get out right at opening and get everything I was looking for. Not only did I get everything I went out looking for, but I also grabbed some other stuff I hadn't intended on picking up originally.[/QUOTE]

You don't get the trade bonuses on .com, do you?

9 Kinect Adventures gone at 2 stores. They didn't even bat an eyelash. The dude at the first store was going to take all 10, but another guy said 5 max... Second store took 4 and had no issue. That, along with the $31.49 5 games that I first got today before the KA flip, ended up looking something like this:

9 KA - $18
5 other games (first store before I knew about KA) - 31.49

Turned into:

3 BR PV movies from BBV (Eli, Kickass and Secretariat)
1 year of @Gamer unlocked
3 preorders at BB :)cry:)
$280 in BB GCs...

I had forgotten how FUN it is to flip like that. I likely hit my limit on all the flippable games today, though, so I am probably done unless I get the urge to pick up a couple of games to actually play at BBV using KA as flipping material.

Many, many thanks to HB and EVERYONE that helped in this thread!

I traded two copies of Kinect Adventures but I had a hard time. First store wouldn't accept them because of no UPC and couldn't find it in the system. Second store same deal but told me if I brought in the UPC number I could trade but only one copy. Finally the third store accepted both copies but I brought the UPC number with me this time. Also this seemed to be very YMMV for me as I was told that it is against company policy to accept a trade without a UPC. My five for $29.99 cost me $3.58 in gamestop credit. Thank you so much Hawaiiboy and fellow CAGs!

[quote name='dino88']You don't get the trade bonuses on .com, do you?[/QUOTE]
No you don't.:cry: But if it's a choice between making about a $4-5 profit on some games or taking a loss on them(as some found out recently w/ the Gamefly games:whistle2:#), then I'd rather the minimal profit than lose out completely.

Albeit I at least know there's OTHER places than BB/GS/AMZ to sell stuff to.;)

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']man i've been watching the amazon trade in values for all these blockbuster games just keep dropping and dropping since last night lol

they must have an automated system, once they get a certain amount the trade in value keeps dropping so that they dont get overloaded with a title[/QUOTE]

Thats why I don't care to flip, I'll sell on craigslist if I don't like trade-in values. But these deals kill flip opportunities. I buy to play =]

Where are these copies of KA without barcodes coming from? The one I got with Kinect had one and the one I grabbed from GS had one. Neither actually scanned in at BBV though, but even the dude who had no idea how to do trades could find it in the system.

Also every BBV I went to was doing a MW3 tourny. One of them ordered more pizzas than they had people sign up. I felt sad.

bread's done
Back