The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
I overslept the tourny, lol showed up at 4, they had 2 (10 yr old?) playing MW3. I asked who won, they said it was still going. lol I'm quite confused.

the barcode when scanned doesnt even do anything..so it shoudlnt matter if it ha a barcode..though I know some BB employees probably want something to scan.

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']Where are these copies of KA without barcodes coming from? The one I got with Kinect had one and the one I grabbed from GS had one. Neither actually scanned in at BBV though, but even the dude who had no idea how to do trades could find it in the system.

Also every BBV I went to was doing a MW3 tourny. One of them ordered more pizzas than they had people sign up. I felt sad.[/QUOTE]
I was supposed to go to my closest store's MW3 tourney, but I skipped out on going since I figured that'd give me reason to look at the used sections while there and I'd end up buying MORE games to play and/or flip.:bomb:

Plus I figured I probably woulda been knocked outta the competition within a half hour, since I usually suck at competitive mp games.:razz:
[quote name='kouleefoh']I overslept the tourny, lol showed up at 4, they had 2 (10 yr old?) playing MW3. I asked who won, they said it was still going. lol I'm quite confused.[/QUOTE]
:lol::applause:That's funny cuz I had a 10-12 yr old kid bsing to me yesterday about how he plays this game n that n they were all M rated titles he mentioned. He kept mentioning how 'the bones break in this game n it's so cool'(Blitz: The League for 360).

I do feel kinda bad since the manager did lemme hold games aside and I shoulda went just to see how many of the people who signed up (30-40 already had by the time I signed up yesterday)would actually show up.

But it was also bitterly cold and like I said I'd probably end up buying another $30-60 in games to play or flip without even blinking.:whistle2:#

[quote name='Tsel']So you have to have an account to trade in games? What if I don't have a credit card?[/QUOTE]

I had to open up a rental account to trade so I suspect another store would be able to see your trade history. I could be wrong about the history though.

[quote name='PopcornBandit']Does anyone know if Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Vanquish are part of the sale?[/QUOTE]

Batman: The Brave and the Bold is $9.99 at BBV if you can find it. Picked it up last sale. Not sure about Vanquished.

I bought 15 games yesterday, flipped 13 to Best Buy for a $183 GC. Kept DS2 and SWFU2 for a buddy. When the BB worker was going through my trade-ins, she checked all the discs, and did not bat an eye when one of my Two Worlds 2 discs had a deep ass gouge about two inches from the center of the disc, and going all the way round. Yeah, I'm sure that'll play.

went back for the tournament, the manager knows me and told me he got 100 games from the other store, good stuff.
also got 3rd place in the tournament, got a poster, hat and dogtags. free cookies and sandwich. my wife got 5th. good fun ;) kinda sucks cuz default classes and no killstreaks but good fun.

Did the tournament, got dominated in round 2 because somebody had changed the controller to have high sensitivity. Should have paused and fixed it. Worst round of COD I've ever played. Had to play 5 games on PSN when I got home, to make sure that was actually my issue. I've still got it, thank goodeness.

Bought Band of Brothers and Mad Men seasons sets 3/$20. Just noticed they forgot to take out the ant-theft plastic things. I'm going back right now!

One of those days...

I had to open up a rental account to trade so I suspect another store would be able to see your trade history. I could be wrong about the history though.

Stores cannot see your history from another store. I would trade in whatever you can this weekend as we'll probably get a memo to stop taking the game since corporate will see we got hundreds of these traded in.

[quote name='dino88']Besides that being complete bullshit, why did you even mention how much you got it for?[/QUOTE]
I didnt, they had no way to knowing the price.. I told them me and my cousin bought them 8 months ago and he wanted me to turn in his copy and I wanted to turn mine.

She had no way of knowing what I was doing at all. I think just saw a single person with 2 copies and didnt like it.

Wow about KA...

I decided to flip for the first time in years. I was at BBV picking up a new movie to rent with my pass and decided what the heck lets do it. Turned $30 into $57 at BB (DA2, FO:NV, DS2, WWE, Spiderman).

[quote name='lordopus99']Wow about KA...

I decided to flip for the first time in years. I was at BBV picking up a new movie to rent with my pass and decided what the heck lets do it. Turned $30 into $57 at BB (DA2, FO:NV, DS2, WWE, Spiderman).[/QUOTE]

There is, quite literally, no way you could lose money using KA as trade. It feels nice to turn $4 into $57 of BB credit without even trying, isn't it?

Only problem is that I have to keep track of what I traded in for the last year... I know I hit the limit of FO:NV back when they had another one of these kinds of sales... I figure if BB takes them, then I must be OK. I'll probably get banned form BB trading, but OH WELLZ. Guess my wife will have to trade then. Or my Dad. He wouldn't care to do it :)

Thank you HB. Just traded in 4 copies and bought 6 games. BTW, when I bought Kinect Adventures, I saw about 5 to 6 copies of MW3 Hardened Edition at Gamestop.

doh i wish i would have checked this thread before heading out for the day. oh wellz. freakn nice for a bunch of you tho, congrats
my bbv says they won't take it. i was gonna go back and turn 30->60ish, but now i feel defeated cuz it isn 5->60ish, lol. its all relative

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
It's on your Blockbuster account at the store you do the trades at. I don't believe they issue 'value cards' anymore, which used to make your credit portable between stores. But if you go to another BBV store and find something you really want there, you COULD have them call and have the first store transfer your credit to there for you.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='FlamedLiquid']yah its tied to your account at that store. same happened with me.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I ended up purchasing 5 games, none of which were multiples and guy ringing me up said, "I guess I'll get these for you to Ebay" :roll:

I just traded in 2 copies of Kinect Adventures for $30. They were able to put it onto a value card for me.

They also gave me about 30 blu-ray cases for free!! It was a good trip. Incidently, if anyone wants a digital copy of Crazy Stupid Love for $1 let me know.

Got $150 credit at MC for 6 games. Have 4 more for next time, another $100-
Ended up with a vs. fight pad and another $150 to my GS credit.
Saw MW3 hardened at a couple stores, but they aren't going for much.
2 out of 4 stores took the KA's, and the other store had nothing.

Turned $38 into $50 amazon, $40 best buy and $30 gamestop. Kept a game and 2 blu-ray. Then I purchased the gamers club and found 2 portal 2 guides. Left tons of fable 3, lbp2, dragon quest vi, duke nukem ce, cod:bo, etc.... so all is good.

[quote name='nas6034']Turned $38 into $50 amazon, $40 best buy and $30 gamestop. Kept a game and 2 blu-ray. Then I purchased the gamers club and found 2 portal 2 guides. Left tons of fable 3, lbp2, dragon quest vi, duke nukem ce, cod:bo, etc.... so all is good.[/QUOTE]

How much was duke nukem ringing up?

[quote name='animemaniac14']turned $1,000,000,000 worth of games into 3 porche's, 2 private jets, and a hooker to boot. I think I win[/QUOTE]

LOL! post of the day! :applause:

ok 3rd trip:Traded in 2 copies of KA (neither had barcodes, cashier looked it up manually...I'll post the code she used later it was on my receipt 31something???) and a copy of Brink got $47 in store credit turned into:
:ps3: Star Wars TFU 2
:360:
Fable 3
Halo ODST (multiplayer disc was scratched to shit but works/installs fine)
FEAR 2
Bulletstorm
coke x2

Slim pickings today, I'll be going back on Monday after the refresh to burn the remaining credits, still have 2 more copies of Kinect Adventures to flip.

Hopefully my DNF comes in from Gamefly before I make that trip.

[quote name='animemaniac14']turned $1,000,000,000 worth of games into 3 porche's, 2 private jets, and a hooker to boot. I think I win[/QUOTE]
You got robbed then.;)
[quote name='mr mellow']How much was duke nukem ringing up?[/QUOTE]
He's talking about the guides, some of which pennied out last week at Best Buy. It's all detailed in the reduced price guide thread here on CAG(which I maintain;)).

[quote name='buff89']I picked up Dead Space 2 (360), Fight Night Champion (360), and Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii).[/QUOTE]

The lady told me that Fight Night Champion was $19.99. I was pissed. She wouldn't even ring it in. well she did tell me I could return and rebuy if it dropped to $14.99. I did pick up Mafia 2, Dante's Inferno, and Assassin's Creed 2 for my sister. Anyone know when the official price drop happens?

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']The lady told me that Fight Night Champion was $19.99. I was pissed. She wouldn't even ring it in. well she did tell me I could return and rebuy if it dropped to $14.99. I did pick up Mafia 2, Dante's Inferno, and Assassin's Creed 2 for my sister. Anyone know when the official price drop happens?[/QUOTE]

I think they only do defective exchanges could be wrong tho. I asked my cashier yesterday to scan it because it was $14.99 at another store and I wanted to get in on the deal at the current store. Sucks my online pass was used. Hopefully I can find a deal online.

Stupid me. I got 9 games instead of the 8 I wanted for the deal (5 for $30, 3 for $20), and didn't realize that until I traded everything in at BB. I was in a rush when the transaction was rang up at BBV. I was surprised the cashier didn't mention anything, but it made sense since the store made 4 bucks more than If I have gotten 10 games for 65.xx than 9 for 69.xx. Got $126 credit. Still not bad I guess.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']The lady told me that Fight Night Champion was $19.99. I was pissed. She wouldn't even ring it in. well she did tell me I could return and rebuy if it dropped to $14.99. I did pick up Mafia 2, Dante's Inferno, and Assassin's Creed 2 for my sister. Anyone know when the official price drop happens?[/QUOTE]
It's been said(NUMEROUS time already) that they have to accept and/or apply the price updates anymore, while it used to be automatic before. So unfortunately if the lady there wouldn't even scan the game for you, you may be SOL.:whistle2:#

[quote name='Tsel']I went to 2 Gamestops in my area and neither one of them had a SINGLE copy of Kinect Adventures. =/[/QUOTE]

The gamestop I went to said they had 35! I only bought 2 though.

Tried my luck yesterday and store had already been cleaned out at opening, and then the remaining got bought up just before I had arrived at the store (as stated by the clerk when I asked about the sale games). This store had tables outside the store setup with signs posted, so even casual shoppers would know about the deals.

Congrats to everyone who are getting what they wanted (to keep or to flip). On the plus side, less games to throw on the backlog and more money left in my pocket. I am hoping that eventually BBY will be selling these BBV games for the same price some time in the near future.

[quote name='kingsnuff']ok 3rd trip:Traded in 2 copies of KA (neither had barcodes, cashier looked it up manually...I'll post the code she used later it was on my receipt 31something???) and a copy of Brink got $47 in store credit turned into:
:ps3: Star Wars TFU 2
:360:
Fable 3
Halo ODST (multiplayer disc was scratched to shit but works/installs fine)
FEAR 2
Bulletstorm
coke x2

Slim pickings today, I'll be going back on Monday after the refresh to burn the remaining credits, still have 2 more copies of Kinect Adventures to flip.

Hopefully my DNF comes in from Gamefly before I make that trip.[/QUOTE]

DO NOT install the multiplayer disc, it will severely hamper your matchmaking. This was the same with Halo 3. Install the single player disc, but NOT the multiplayer disc.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's been said(NUMEROUS time already) that they have to accept and/or apply the price updates anymore, while it used to be automatic before. So unfortunately if the lady there wouldn't even scan the game for you, you may be SOL.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Damnnit! Looks like I'm heading back there soon then, and returning Mafia 2. I only got that game as a filler game. I've been working a lot so I haven't been able to follow this thread closely, but knowing that puts a thorn in my side!:bomb:

[quote name='kingsnuff']I think they only do defective exchanges could be wrong tho. I asked my cashier yesterday to scan it because it was $14.99 at another store and I wanted to get in on the deal at the current store. Sucks my online pass was used. Hopefully I can find a deal online.[/QUOTE]

I'll keep you guys posted though. I shouldn't even went into this third store. I already picked up ten games from this sale...

Well I went to the 4th BBV near me that closed at 11 last night. Not a bad selection even though I had many of the games. I went with my Dad after the WI game this afternoon and got a few games.

:360: Two Worlds II
:360: Spider-man Shattered Dimensions
:360: Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising
:360: The Bourne Conspiracy
:360: Dead Space 2
:ps3: Just Cause 2
:ps3: Killzone 2

Total after discounts was $46.43.

[quote name='Rozz']All of the Blockbuster stores in my area won't accept trade-ins anymore. They tried telling me that every Blockbuster in the country has stopped (which is not true, as the numerous people in this thread that have traded stuff in today can attest to). Is this just a local thing or what? These are not independently owned versions of the stores so I am confused as to why my local stores say they have been noted not to take anymore trade-ins (the manager working there said that another employee took trade-ins during the week and got in trouble or some shit over it from him). At least I found some good stuff for the $3 for $20 deal to play, but it would have been nice to buy it cheaper with trade-in credit instead of cash.[/QUOTE]

Since I see no one else is running into this issue should I just assume that the district manager made some weird decision not to accept trade-ins for any stores in my county?

I got the same lame excuse that all BBV's were not yet again accepting trades. No biggie though, as I did just fine at the 3 pristine, untouched stores I hit...:)

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I'll keep you guys posted though. I shouldn't even went into this third store. I already picked up ten games from this sale...[/QUOTE]

lol dude this week alone I've picked up 13 from BBV, 3 from GF and 3 from GS. I'm just glad the major fall releases are done, I can continue buying filler/backlog games until February. :cool:

Anybody know the TiV for Call of Juarez: The Cartel? I have it coming in from GF (after reading the reviews I only bought it to flip) should be here on Monday.

Thanks again to Hawaiiboy and thanks to everyone who continually help to contribute to this thread. And thanks to the guy who initially asked about the Kinect Adventures game TIV (sorry I forget your name).

I did a lot of trading of games today. I should be fairly alright on BB and Amz credit for Black Friday deals. :)I doubt my amz trades will get to Noram before friday, but I bought a Kindle card or 2 at BB. I also kept a couple games and blu-rays and DVDs from BBV for myself.

It was nice having Kinect Adventures (KA) and GF games to trade in so I didn't need to spend any more cash. I spend $147 cash on Friday at BBV and that was even with having $150 BBV credit spread across 4 stores.

Only 1 single hooker? Who are you going to fuck in the other 2 porches and 2 jets? You need at least 5 hookers in total. ;)

[quote name='Tsel']I went to 2 Gamestops in my area and neither one of them had a SINGLE copy of Kinect Adventures. =/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sbaker44']The gamestop I went to said they had 35! I only bought 2 though.[/QUOTE]
Try 42 copies at my closest GS. Almost all complete. Only had the heart to buy 8.

bread's done
Back