The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Was able to pick up

Bulletstorm LE
Dragon Age 2
Fable 3

at my local BBV, but it was pretty much slim pickings. Tried to flip another set of Kinect Adventures at another location and they would not accept it since it did not had barcodes. Said they needed it to be able to resell it. Gonna try one more store tomorrow, hopefully they just take it in like the first one I went to

[quote name='Ferrari Racer']What is the trade in value for KA at Blockbuster? I'm guessing from the posts it's pretty high.[/QUOTE]

$2 at Gamestop turns into $15 at BBV.

Too bad I had to miss out on the fun.

[quote name='Tsel']$2 at Gamestop turns into $15 at BBV.

Too bad I had to miss out on the fun.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Is KA on sale for $2 or is that permanent?

*WOW* at Kinect Adventures!!!

I've been out of town all day long, son of a gun. It makes my $80 - $215 flip from yesterday seem so terrible by comparison.

I saw HB say that we should get our trades in this weekend; I'm hoping that means he expects the KA trade value to stick through Sunday. I can get out tomorrow and easily get my hands on four copies. $8 - $60 = 10 games. Should be pretty easy to turn that into $100 at Best Buy if I stick with smaller value games (I've already used up all the good ones if I stick to the 3x limit at Best Buy). Still, $8 -> $100 would be absolutely insane. Hoping to do this afternoon!

EDIT: If anybody on the East Coast can PM me whether or not the KA value holds in the morning asap, I'd be very, very appreciative! Thank you!

[quote name='StealOfADeal']I'm going to have to try hastings as well as blockbuster.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Hasting's is good for a really random high TiV every now and then, if you are lucky (or unfortunate) enough to have a b&M store near you! ;)

Also, I'll also add to the when did Kinect Adventures ever have a barcode? I had to go out so late tonight I didn't have time to hit up GS, but remembered I bought a few just because from GS when they hit the $3.99 mark. Of the two I have here on my shelf neither have the barcode. Didn't matter much, though, got the old 'no blockbusters take tradeins' line anyway. Still did so good, I'm not worried. Might go back to grab some more games tomorrow, maybe I'll try to trade at another store.

hopefully they take it some places tomorrow. i was bout to do it but i called and asked and they said they weren't taking any more. good luck tho bro

[quote name='sgaldis'] Also, I'll also add to the when did Kinect Adventures ever have a barcode? I had to go out so late tonight I didn't have time to hit up GS, but remembered I bought a few just because from GS when they hit the $3.99 mark. Of the two I have here on my shelf neither have the barcode. Didn't matter much, though, got the old 'no blockbusters take tradeins' line anyway. Still did so good, I'm not worried. Might go back to grab some more games tomorrow, maybe I'll try to trade at another store.[/QUOTE]

When I was at Gamestop I only could find one copy that actually had a bar code printed on the back of the insert.

[quote name='Rozz']All of the Blockbuster stores in my area won't accept trade-ins anymore. They tried telling me that every Blockbuster in the country has stopped (which is not true, as the numerous people in this thread that have traded stuff in today can attest to). Is this just a local thing or what? These are not independently owned versions of the stores so I am confused as to why my local stores say they have been noted not to take anymore trade-ins (the manager working there said that another employee took trade-ins during the week and got in trouble or some shit over it from him). At least I found some good stuff for the $3 for $20 deal to play, but it would have been nice to buy it cheaper with trade-in credit instead of cash.[/QUOTE]

I actually ran into the same thing. The manager told me that for the past 6 months, no Blockbuster anywhere in the country has taken trade-ins, and they probably never will again. This was the same manager that was completely ignorant during the last B1G1 and refused to properly honor the deal. Of course, the two Blockbusters a few miles away gladly did trade-ins. The employees knew exactly how to do the trades, so it wasn't as if no one had used the trade system for months. Most likely, we just ran into completely oblivious employees in poorly run stores. I would love to file a formal complaint against this manager regarding several incidents over the last several months, but BBV as a whole is so badly managed that I doubt it would make any difference.

Good lord people... This KA stuff is insane. As for me, I'm glad I went out to a few BBV stores on Friday as I came down with a nasty case of food poisoning Friday night. I haven't eaten all day today and I feel just as bad as I did last night. Bleh... I don't think I'll be able to get any KA tomorrow and trade them in - plus I'm sure it would be a hassle if I try to do it (bar code, etc).

At least I was able to get rid of a copy of Red Faction Armageddon I got from GF a while back - still got $19 for that on Friday.

But anyway, how the hell are you guys finding stuff worth buying at this point? I'd have thought every good game would have been gone by Friday night. So, yeah, having credit there tomorrow is pretty meaningless at this point.

I got:

:360: AC: Brotherhood $10 TIV BB
:360: Two Worlds II $8 TIV BB
:360: Mindjack $7 TIV BB
:ps3: Splatterhouse $7 TIV BB
:ps3: Heavenly Sword
= $32 spent

Traded all in to Best Buy except Heavenly Sword (which I am keeping) for $44.80 credit after 30% trade 3+ bonus, and 10% Gamers Club Unlocked.

It's nowhere near as good as the deals some of you got, but making $12 + getting Heavenly Sword for free seems pretty good for minimal effort.

Total haul for the weekend: 25 games

IMG_8.jpg

IMG_7.jpg

[quote name='io']But anyway, how the hell are you guys finding stuff worth buying at this point? I'd have thought every good game would have been gone by Friday night. So, yeah, having credit there tomorrow is pretty meaningless at this point.[/QUOTE]

Sorry you're feeling like crap, io. Hope you feel better.

As for me, NONE of the 3 stores I went to yesterday had been run over. In fact, at the one store, I could have done another pack of 5 games to go back to BB. At that point, though, I was so tired that I just wanted to get it done. I can't go back down there tomorrow - it was a 5 hour, 100 mile, 1 GS, 2 BBV, BB and then back to the same BB because the cute gamer chick that did my trade didn't give me back my license. So she did my last trade, too. I won't be doing that again today.

Also, at least at the 2 evening stores, they hadn't had a single person do the KA trades, so there were no copies in the store. They just had to look it up by name. I explained that it was the pack in game and that NONE of them had bar codes, so the fact that they were even in the computer meant that they took them for trade (which now I realize is a bit of a lie - maybe 1 percent of the copies have an actual barcode).

Did well on this yesterday, got Dragon Age 2, Fight Night Champioin, Epic Mickey, Fable 3, and Heavenly Sword for 30. Traded in DA2 and Fight Night Champion to Best Buy for 29 ish. So got 3 games for about 2-3 dollars.

I was glad to trade the other two as I wouldn't have played either.

[quote name='io']Good lord people... This KA stuff is insane. As for me, I'm glad I went out to a few BBV stores on Friday as I came down with a nasty case of food poisoning Friday night. I haven't eaten all day today and I feel just as bad as I did last night. Bleh... I don't think I'll be able to get any KA tomorrow and trade them in - plus I'm sure it would be a hassle if I try to do it (bar code, etc).

At least I was able to get rid of a copy of Red Faction Armageddon I got from GF a while back - still got $19 for that on Friday.

But anyway, how the hell are you guys finding stuff worth buying at this point? I'd have thought every good game would have been gone by Friday night. So, yeah, having credit there tomorrow is pretty meaningless at this point.[/QUOTE]

I'm very sorry to hear about your food poisoning io. I hope you feel better soon.

[quote name='cardsharkrob']The 5 for 39.99 new movie sale, is there a price limit on them, like it has to be 15 dollars and under?[/QUOTE]

$12.99 and under

Hope the food poisoned guy feels better quick....had it happened to me once as a teenager....not fun.

Thanks for the KA information. I was able to go to 1 Gamestop and get 6 KA's. Two workers were joking that I was probably setting up a KA tournament =).

I traded in 2 at my regular store, 1 at a second store (they would only take the one with the bar code) and 2 at the last. I spent $22 out of pocket (tax and the 3 for $20 got it to that amount). BB = $145 trade in credit (pre-ordered Mario Kart 7).

Heads up - as of last night Cars 2 for the DS trades in for $11 at BB.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']$12.99 and under[/QUOTE]

Any new drops for today?(used games and blu's)

Also a bit ot, does anyone know where to find cheap blu cases?

[quote name='nas6034']Any new drops for today?(used games and blu's)

Also a bit ot, does anyone know where to find cheap blu cases?[/QUOTE]

I believe HawaiiBoy said no new drops. And you could try ebay or amazon for replacement cases, that's where I got some recently at a good price. I used to go to sleevecity I think it was called, maybe give that a try too.

[quote name='nas6034']

Also a bit ot, does anyone know where to find cheap blu cases?[/QUOTE]

Discmakers makes ones that are perfect OEM cases. The ones from Amazon are a little squared off and a little bit thicker than the ones the studios use. Just depends on whether you are picky or not.

[quote name='Ferrari Racer']Well I'm about to go to GS to pick up KA and attempt to trade it in at BB. Wish me luck boys( and girls? )[/QUOTE]

Have fun! Worked like a charm for me. 6 copies across 2 stores. 90 credit. Grabbed a bunch of movies I had been wanting.

[quote name='io']Good lord people... This KA stuff is insane. As for me, I'm glad I went out to a few BBV stores on Friday as I came down with a nasty case of food poisoning Friday night. I haven't eaten all day today and I feel just as bad as I did last night. Bleh... I don't think I'll be able to get any KA tomorrow and trade them in - plus I'm sure it would be a hassle if I try to do it (bar code, etc).

But anyway, how the hell are you guys finding stuff worth buying at this point? I'd have thought every good game would have been gone by Friday night. So, yeah, having credit there tomorrow is pretty meaningless at this point.[/QUOTE]

Hope you feel better. If the trade in holds I don't think it'd be a problem to find a copy of KA. I called the nearest GS where the manager is really cool and asked them how many copies they had. Another employee was looking up the amount and I could hear the manager saying, "why do they need to know how many copies they had?" I told the employee that answered to mention my name and he was like oh ok, never mind. They had over 50 at that specific store. Hopefully I got the right version of the movie he wanted.

I was only going to buy a set of 5 blu-rays but with this trade in I've done a whole lot more. I'm not sure if I should feel cheap for buying 49 cent cokes for all he employees at BBV.

Finding deals at this point? One thing I can't complain are when the BBV employees don't update their price tag stickers. All the games, except a few 14.99 ones that weren't cleaned out, have been marked 19.99 or above =)

Picked up

Mindjack 360
Transformers RofTF 360
Dead Space 2 ( with Extraction ) PS3
Medal of Honor ( with Frontlines ) PS3
Infamous PS3 ( going to bro )

Blu's

Superbad
Hot Tub Time Machine
Natural Born Killers
Madagascar 2
How to Train Your Dragon combo

not bad for about $50 ( after credit )
going to venture out to some far out BB later im sure they are gassed but you never know :)

Today wrapped up what I believe to be my best flip (not highest value) but best set up yet.

Gamestop: 2 copies of Kinect Adventure (roughly 5 dollars in credit)
BBV: 5 games (30 credit for Kinect Adventures, 2 dollars tax)
Best Buy: 94 in credit, turned into Zelda Bundle and 28 in credit left over (including 10 dollar gc from Zelda purchase)

5 dollars in GS Credit + 2 dollars Cash
into
Zelda Bundle, and 28 in BB credit :)

[quote name='spacegundam0079']Picked up

Mindjack 360
Transformers RofTF 360
Dead Space 2 ( with Extraction ) PS3
Medal of Honor ( with Frontlines ) PS3
Infamous PS3 ( going to bro )

Blu's

Superbad
Hot Tub Time Machine
Natural Born Killers
Madagascar 2
How to Train Your Dragon combo

not bad for about $50 ( after credit )
going to venture out to some far out BB later im sure they are gassed but you never know :)[/QUOTE]

I was close to buying Mindjack until I read reviews on my phone - almost every one of which ripped the game to shreds.

mindjack plat! lol, but yeah horrible game.
io, get well soon brother!
any updates on ka tiv? peace all
and my bbv got 100 games transferred in yesterday, so they had a few extra.

So I have a Kinect adventures with the funky bar code - it's not a upc. It's a longer and thinner bar code. Will that even scan at blockbuster or do they only have a upc scanner?

I think I'm done with this sale for now. I have enough games, and I'm always getting in on deals so I'll leave the rest of the stuff for everybody. Maybe I'll pop back in, here and there to see what people are buying. Have fun!

Hi all,

I'm heading to GS to pick up some KAs, and will ask for ones with the barcode. But if I can't get my hands on one; does anyone have a confirmed UPC code I can write down? Google is showing two different ones. Thanks!

[quote name='mattcube64']Hi all,

I'm heading to GS to pick up some KAs, and will ask for ones with the barcode. But if I can't get my hands on one; does anyone have a confirmed UPC code I can write down? Google is showing two different ones. Thanks![/QUOTE]

717565888225 is what I used for my trade.

Got 2 copies of KA from GS. Without barcode. Went to BlockBuster. Saw a guy being wrung up for like 30 games.... They tried to scan the KA's, said that they would not scan....

Went to another GS that was across the street. They let me switch out the cases for ones WITH UPC CODES.

Went back to BlockBuster. They scanned the KA games again, said that they do not come up in the system.

Went to the Xbox area, saw friggin KA sitting on the shelf for $34.95. Asked the manager, he said: "BlockBuster probably does not want any more of them."

So, I don't know....

Did not have anything to really choose from anyway.

blockbuster in my town (only one left) has no good games available. They had games like LA Noire, Brink, Duke selling for $40 used when they go for $20 new. i was hoping to find AC:B but they only had Madden, Splatterhouse and Bulletstorm at the 14.99 price range.

I'm sure they sent out a memo first thing about KA this morning, and/or changed something in their system to deny the trade, after the fiasco yesterday. Maybe HB will chime in on this...

ringing the barcode/upc never did anything. they have to manually search for it. the barcode/upc is useless. They just assume they need it to have a barcode when you trade it in.

[quote name='sgaldis']I'm sure they sent out a memo first thing about KA this morning, and/or changed something in their system to deny the trade, after the fiasco yesterday. Maybe HB will chime in on this...[/QUOTE]

When I was talking to a manager YESTERDAY (around 2 hours after the TIV was known), the manager said a bunch of random things/policies.

These included that the game required a barcode to scan or they were a promo copy which was "illegal to trade in" in my city. I asked about others and another girl said 5 other stores were no different.
He went on to say that they needed to be complete copies and such. I asked why it was in the system as I dont know of a barcoded version. He said it had to do with either a upcoming version or it was put in by mistake.

I asked many stores here and everyone said they needed to be complete to trade in. This is no different from today or yesterday. I assume a LOT of the people getting lucky were talking over the people whom were unlucky as it appears to be against policy to accept them.

----

@ Velo / Jay

Mindjack was a fun game as it had an interesting concept. Sadly the online is dead which is a HUGE part of the game. The biggest selling point was that so there isn't really a reason to play it anymore. The platinum is nearly unobtainable too.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Today wrapped up what I believe to be my best flip (not highest value) but best set up yet.

Gamestop: 2 copies of Kinect Adventure (roughly 5 dollars in credit)
BBV: 5 games (30 credit for Kinect Adventures, 2 dollars tax)
Best Buy: 94 in credit, turned into Zelda Bundle and 28 in credit left over (including 10 dollar gc from Zelda purchase)

5 dollars in GS Credit + 2 dollars Cash
into
Zelda Bundle, and 28 in BB credit :)[/QUOTE]

curious what games you got at BlockBuster to trade in at Best Buy. There must be a better flip then Dragon Age 2.

[quote name='sgaldis']I'm sure they sent out a memo first thing about KA this morning, and/or changed something in their system to deny the trade, after the fiasco yesterday. Maybe HB will chime in on this...[/QUOTE]

It barcode was not in the system yesterday either. You need a very knowledgeable, kind, and helpful employee to search "Kinect Adventures" in the system.

[quote name='joshthegreat69']I went in today to a Blockbuster and it worked via a manual search. So it's definitely still working.[/QUOTE]

+1

Too bad I couldn't find any games to get @ 5 different blockbusters.

I'm sure they sent out a memo first thing about KA this morning, and/or changed something in their system to deny the trade, after the fiasco yesterday. Maybe HB will chime in on this...

No memo or anything sent out to not take them but like I posted yesterday trades are supposed to be complete to be taken at bbv or they can reject it. It's a easy process to look it up but the cashier is taught to scan the item so that is why they are being rejected.

And it doesn't really matter if there is a barcode or not since its something bbv never stocked in the first place the UPC is not in the system. They will have to look it up either way.

bread's done
Back