The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JaylisJayP']tomarow...tomarow....I'll love ya....tomarow.

lol[/QUOTE]

Lol normally have an update on this by now maybe they gave hb a mini vacation lol

[quote name='joeyshadows']Might swing back by bb again. So it's automatic 3 for 15 5 for 25?[/QUOTE]

it's automatic 3 for $20, 5 for $30. but it's automatic and painless (all titles included under $14.99)

I know the 3 for 20 was, but I'm guessing they changed up the promo to 3/15 etc. based on what i read on the last 2 pages. Looks like my bluray and game collection is going to expand.

[quote name='skin21rip']I think guy at mine needed to scan sonething for 3 for 15 or 5 for 25[/QUOTE]

[quote name='pimpster4183']so do you have to ask for the 3 for $15?[/QUOTE]

What are you guys talking about? Did something change? Hawaiiboy, clear this mess up, please! ;)

I haven't been over there in a few days. Didn't you also say the gift card deal got extended? I still have some credit at a distant store - would like to liquidate that. Plus I have a couple of gift cards and we all know how those work out in the end!

[quote name='io']What are you guys talking about? Did something change? Hawaiiboy, clear this mess up, please! ;)

I haven't been over there in a few days. Didn't you also say the gift card deal got extended? I still have some credit at a distant store - would like to liquidate that. Plus I have a couple of gift cards and we all know how those work out in the end![/QUOTE]

There are no more $5 giftcards. Instead they are just taking $5 off the price of the bundles. So I think it's 3 for $15 or 5 for $25 for the used games and movies. I'm not sure about the new $19.99 movies though.

Found out yesterday that my store is going into liquidation right after Christmas. It has been there since I was a teenager. As much as people rip BBV, I know that I will miss it. I also hate to see nice people lose their jobs. RIP

[quote name='bgame2']Found out yesterday that my store is going into liquidation right after Christmas. It has been there since I was a teenager. As much as people rip BBV, I know that I will miss it. I also hate to see nice people lose their jobs. RIP[/QUOTE]
me too, I got to know most of the employees there during the last couple months and I hope they don't lose their jobs and the store isn't closing but I think it is.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']There are no more $5 giftcards. Instead they are just taking $5 off the price of the bundles. So I think it's 3 for $15 or 5 for $25 for the used games and movies. I'm not sure about the new $19.99 movies though.[/QUOTE]

My local BBV stores just do whatever they want to do:
- Some accept tradein, some not
- When BBV have 5usd gc for purchasing bundle, some will do movie/game combo, some restrict it to be only movie
- All 3 stores do have 3 for 15usd, 5 for 25usd sell as of now
- Some give 10usd for combo pass member, some won't
(1 out of 3 stores still doing that for me, other 2 just told me promotion expired, lying without a blink of eye, ORZ)

I am slightly concerned, one of the BBV's near me hasn't put out anything new for game sales in weeks and just shortened their hours. I'd be shocked if they closed, they are almost always busy, but I suppose that doesn't mean they are making a profit.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']There are no more $5 giftcards. Instead they are just taking $5 off the price of the bundles. So I think it's 3 for $15 or 5 for $25 for the used games and movies. I'm not sure about the new $19.99 movies though.[/QUOTE]

That is not true...Combo Pass Members still get a $5 gift card with the bundles if they ask for it as it is unadvertised. This is pre-owned only, not the new bundles.

Is there away to see what is in stock in our local area, without having to drive to store to store...I would love to find a Pokémon (any) for the DS. My daughter has been playing my old GBC yellow version. Even thou my Xmas shopping is done, this would make a nice stocking stuffier.

[quote name='Bug42']Is there away to see what is in stock in our local area, without having to drive to store to store...I would love to find a Pokémon (any) for the DS. My daughter has been playing my old GBC yellow version. Even thou my Xmas shopping is done, this would make a nice stocking stuffier.[/QUOTE]

Here's what you need to do:

-Go to Google Shopping
-Search for Blockbuster + whatever game you are looking for. In your case type "Blockbuster Pokemon"
-After the search, click on the 'In Stock Nearby" option on the left side of the screen.
-If any of your stores have any pokemon games in stock for sale, it'll show the game and that it's available at however many stores. Click on the stores link and it'll tell you specifically which stores in your area have it in stock, or at least had it in stock the last time google updated the blockbuster stock.

[quote name='Whambamm']Here's what you need to do:

-Go to Google Shopping
-Search for Blockbuster + whatever game you are looking for. In your case type "Blockbuster Pokemon"
-After the search, click on the 'In Stock Nearby" option on the left side of the screen.
-If any of your stores have any pokemon games in stock for sale, it'll show the game and that it's available at however many stores. Click on the stores link and it'll tell you specifically which stores in your area have it in stock, or at least had it in stock the last time google updated the blockbuster stock.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

What are you guys talking about? Did something change? Hawaiiboy, clear this mess up, please!

I haven't been over there in a few days. Didn't you also say the gift card deal got extended? I still have some credit at a distant store - would like to liquidate that. Plus I have a couple of gift cards and we all know how those work out in the end!

The deal is still automatic no barcode needed. The giftcard deal ended when they switched to the 3 for $15 or 5 for $25 last week BUT it is still active til close tonight for combo pass people who ask for the free $5 giftcard. There was an email that went out to combo pass members that's why they will honor it as long as you ask about it.

Grabbed 8 more games from a location. Used my $5 giftcard from a previous purchase and 7 left over from KA flips. Paid about 30 OOP

Monopoly Streets Wii
Lego Star Wars 3 DS
Biggest Loser Challenge Wii

Duke Nukem Forever 360
Transformers WFC 360
Killzone 2 PS3
Enslaved 360
Spiderman SD 360

Some of these imma keep and maybe trade off. They had a Harry Potter DH2 and a Sports Champion i should have grabbed with the other 3 but whatever. Awesome sale as always

Anyone want to trade let me know. Mostly Killzone 2.

[quote name='Abeja']Grabbed 8 more games from a location. Used my $5 giftcard from a previous purchase and 7 left over from KA flips. Paid about 30 OOP

Monopoly Streets Wii
Lego Star Wars 3 DS
Biggest Loser Challenge Wii

Duke Nukem Forever 360
Transformers WFC 360
Killzone 2 PS3
Enslaved 360
Spiderman SD 360

Some of these imma keep and maybe trade off. They had a Harry Potter DH2 and a Sports Champion i should have grabbed with the other 3 but whatever. Awesome sale as always

Anyone want to trade let me know. Mostly Killzone 2.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully you're not a spray n pray player when playing a shooter or you'll be out of ammo VERY often in Transformers: WFC. There isn't a ton of ammo around and if you miss a lot of your shots then you'll have to melee many enemies just to get through some levels.

Yeah i actually bought it used from Gamestop when it came out 54.99 used. Yuck. I loved the game honestly, I just lagged online and didnt have friends to play campaign with. I even played the survival for a bit.

And no, im not a spray and pray player.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']The deal is still automatic no barcode needed. The giftcard deal ended when they switched to the 3 for $15 or 5 for $25 last week BUT it is still active til close tonight for combo pass people who ask for the free $5 giftcard. There was an email that went out to combo pass members that's why they will honor it as long as you ask about it.[/QUOTE]

Strange, I got no such email. I do have one today from them that just advertizes the 3 for $14.99/5 for $24.99. It doesn't mention the gift card at all.

Just got back from BBV. They had the new signage up for the 3 for $14.99 deal but had the same crap selection they had a week ago. Still, I bought some stuff just to burn up my $10 gift card from last time. The games are still $5 each so it isn't a huge break in price anyway. I probably should have just waited for more rental conversions.

The manager also said the gift card deal was dead dead dead even for Combo Pass members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ended up getting more blurays and bulletstorm. I wonder when they usually price drop/restock. Anyone know where to get bluray cases(B&M)?

[quote name='mr mellow']Anyone knows the trade in value for Red Faction Armageddon ?[/QUOTE]

19 and hb a blockbuster near me is closing down do you know if theyre going to convert all of their rental games to used for sale games? and will these games be the same price as used and/or apply to the 5/24.99?

I went to exchange a dvd for a blu today and I couldn't find anything. The games were pretty slim as well, but I settled for Smackdown vs Raw 2011. I won't be able to try the game out until Friday and was just wondering what the general consensus on this game is. Is it worth keeping?

[quote name='sninh']19 and hb a blockbuster near me is closing down do you know if theyre going to convert all of their rental games to used for sale games? and will these games be the same price as used and/or apply to the 5/24.99?[/QUOTE]

From what I have been told by managers at BBV, any store that closes ships their stock to other stores. How it is divided, that has never been divulged to me - I'm guessing by corporate. Anyway, you might get lucky and a disgruntled employee might do something against policy.

For a definitive answer, I guess we will see what HB says.

WOW! Suprised I was able to grab these right before they closed. Don't where they came from because I was just there a few days ago.

5 for $24.99 deal

(All complete w/ case and manual)

Splatterhouse 360
Kingdom Hearts Re Coded DS
Dead Space 2 360
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011 360
Wii Game Party Wii

$27.XX OTD

[quote name='slppedyoursster']From what I have been told by managers at BBV, any store that closes ships their stock to other stores. How it is divided, that has never been divulged to me - I'm guessing by corporate. Anyway, you might get lucky and a disgruntled employee might do something against policy.

For a definitive answer, I guess we will see what HB says.[/QUOTE]

i was talking with one of the managers(?) today and he said something about them closing on monday and then they'll be open for a month selling things only and not doing rentals so this may be a new thing?

[quote name='Whambamm']Here's what you need to do:

-Go to Google Shopping
-If any of your stores have any pokemon games in stock for sale, it'll show the game and that it's available at however many stores. Click on the stores link and it'll tell you specifically which stores in your area have it in stock, or at least had it in stock the last time google updated the blockbuster stock.[/QUOTE]

How accurate is this? I swear the blockbusters by me that it says has certain games, does not have them. Also, stores that I know have a certain game don't show up as having it. Just wondering about driving a bit further than normal.

i was talking with one of the managers(?) today and he said something about them closing on monday and then they'll be open for a month selling things only and not doing rentals so this may be a new thing?

select stores like this become "outlet stores" so they get all the crap that other stores have sitting around and havent sold. we sent a bunch of our junk to an outlet store around here.

not sure how they are going to be run this time but if last time is any indication all prices go to msrp and you get a % off which is no deal at all since they wont be running the 3 for $15 or 5 for $25.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']select stores like this become "outlet stores" so they get all the crap that other stores have sitting around and havent sold. we sent a bunch of our junk to an outlet store around here.

not sure how they are going to be run this time but if last time is any indication all prices go to msrp and you get a % off which is no deal at all since they wont be running the 3 for $15 or 5 for $25.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they throw some store closing sings up and it brings in everyone who has no idea what a good deal is. They knock $14.99 games up to $29.99 and then slap a 15% off flyer up and people buy it like it is some hot shit. By the time the games reach 50-75% off and actually become good prices again they are almost all gone.

I just hope that my closest 3-4 stores are actually spared getting the axe this time. We lost like 6-7 stores through the last buncha rounds of closings and it's tough enough running from store A to store B around here still to check stock.

[quote name='grecianfox']Hope some local stores are spared as well. Have lost 4 in the past 18-24 months.[/QUOTE]

Lost 2 in the past 4 months here in columbus oh

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Roughly 300-350 more store closings.[/QUOTE]

You serious ? When ? I hope the one on 94'th and broadway in manhattan survives this. I remember when there were so many bbv's in manhattan and now there is only 1 left :(

[quote name='schuerm26']How accurate is this? I swear the blockbusters by me that it says has certain games, does not have them. Also, stores that I know have a certain game don't show up as having it. Just wondering about driving a bit further than normal.[/QUOTE]

As of now, I wouldn't say it's terribly accurate. It doesn't seem to have updated in at least a couple weeks. It was extremely accurate when the sale first started though.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Roughly 300-350 more store closings.[/QUOTE]

Sadness.

I hate to see BBV fade into retail oblivion. I just hope all our "go to" stores remain open, but I'm sure some of us will get the short end of the stick.

Sad to hear about more closings...with circuit city and Hollywood video done and blockbuster/sears circling the drain all we are gonna have left are GameStop and best buy. That will be a rough pill to swallow.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Sad to hear about more closings...with circuit city and Hollywood video done and blockbuster/sears circling the drain all we are gonna have left are GameStop and best buy. That will be a rough pill to swallow.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy isn't doing so well according to recent articles. GameStop may be the only one left since gaming is a huge market which they specialize in!! We shall see.... either that or they'll all turn into online retailers like circuit city (saves cost all around)!

[quote name='intoxicates']Best Buy isn't doing so well according to recent articles. GameStop may be the only one left since gaming is a huge market which they specialize in!! We shall see.... either that or they'll all turn into online retailers like circuit city (saves cost all around)![/QUOTE]
FYI: Circuit City did NOT turn into an online only retailer. It's domain name was bought by Systemax, which also owns the rights to the CompUSA name/domain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemax

Anyway, I bought :ps3:Bulletstorm, :ps3:Dead Space 2 LE and 3 movies for $25 today(newest POTC and HP DH Part 2 on Blu-Ray and Transformers Dark Of The Moon on DVD cuz the BR version is still $16.99:roll:) .

The selection is still beyond mediocre at the local BBV stores for this sale and I imagine the out of the area ones aren't much better. I was really hoping some of the older rental titles($.99 a night ones) woulda been converted over to pre-owned by now to at least freshen up the sale racks, which reek of Brink, Duke Nukem Forever and Fallout New Vegas galore besides the really, really old shit:)ps3:Haze, etc).

bread's done
Back