The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='schuerm26']That is what Im thinking about the Kansas City Northland. Just in the Northland we have 6. Ones on the Kansas side have closed but the Northland doesn't seem to be affected.[/QUOTE]

We still have like 6 in Buffalo. 2-3 are pretty close to me.

Its sorta sad to see the numbers dwindle even more.

Just 2 years ago we had 20... if not more just in the Buffalo area. It was a caggers dream during certain sales.

Like with any closing... FYE, Circuit City, you need to turn the page as a cagger :)

I went to one of the 2 blockbusters today that are closing near me to scrounge up a few deals. One of the guys working there mentioned that it seems that Dish only bought Blockbuster because they wanted their online business, and that they lied to them about why they were closing stores the last round. This particular store is the best of the 3 near me and it has the lowest rent.

[quote name='bjstucker']Picked up the last copies of Shattered deminsion for Xbox and PS3 and flipped to GS not too shabby for 15$[/QUOTE]

Whats the trade in value for these at gamestop? I just picked one of these up from blockbuster today but web of shadows trades in for more than shattered dimensions at bestbuy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kulaguy']Trade in for PS3 Hunted was $19 as of today.[/QUOTE]

WHAT?! :O I traded mine in yesterday for $17. Did they increase the TIV?

Edit: NVM, I traded in the Xbox360 Version.

Pretty decent haul today, for as late in the sale as it is. For $40 I picked up
PS3
Tron
The Shoot
WWE SvR 2011
HP Deathly Hallows pt 1

Wii
Goldeneye
We Ski (My daughter (she's 3) really wanted this)

DS
Spiderman: WoS
Mario Hoops

Eh, I have a good contact at Blockbuster. I called ahead, and he said that the X360 version of Hunted held at $17, but the PS3 version has dropped to $10. This was as of about 7pm CST.

I brought three Xbox versions in, and used the credit, combined with my remaining balance, to grab:

6562372979_9c454f5401_z.jpg

I have $15 credit left. That I'm only holding onto in the rare case that DKCR drops to $14.99 and becomes eligible for a 3/$15 or a B1G1 down the road.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']I have also purchased XBL Points with store credit from selling a game. So, I have to agree with ivos: unless this is something new, you should be able to buy the cards.[/QUOTE]

Can HB confirm this? I will try to go into a BBV again when I'm back in town, I guess.

Edit: Nvm, I saw the above post. Either the lady cashier doesn't know what she's doing, or she lied to me...She scanned my BBV trade-in membership card, and then scanned the $20 PSN card, said it didn't work. Hm...

[quote name='mattcube64']Eh, I have a good contact at Blockbuster. I called ahead, and he said that the X360 version of Hunted held at $17, but the PS3 version has dropped to $10. This was as of about 7pm CST.[/QUOTE]
:bomb: There's another game I waffled on trading in and waited too long(besides Duke Nukem Forever). Oh well. Now at least I can play the game w/o worrying about trading it in, since it should stay at $10 for a while still(I hope).

[quote name='CAG90210']Can HB confirm this? I will try to go into a BBV again when I'm back in town, I guess.

Edit: Nvm, I saw the above post. Either the lady cashier doesn't know what she's doing, or she lied to me...She scanned my BBV trade-in membership card, and then scanned the $20 PSN card, said it didn't work. Hm...[/QUOTE]

My friend checking me out did have trouble selling me the gift cards with the balance on my account; so he put the balance on a BBV gift card, and then I bought the other store cards with that. Hope that helps!

My blockbuster seems like ita staying around. The employee there told me that they want one blockbusters 4 to 5 blockbusters in nyc and thats basically the amount in nyc right now lol.

[quote name='Althax']Did HIB ever post that expected sale or price drop for day after christmas?[/QUOTE]

Not yet - he must be slacking :lol:.

Don't forget about his post with the Christmas Day deal about the free batteries to the first 100(?) customers. Don't laugh about free batteries - 360 controllers nomnom batteries like candy.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Not yet - he must be slacking :lol:.

Don't forget about his post with the Christmas Day deal about the free batteries to the first 100(?) customers. Don't laugh about free batteries - 360 controllers nomnom batteries like candy.[/QUOTE]

The controllers are one thing...get a Turtle Beach wireless headset. They go through a set of batteries every other day.

[quote name='smashngrab77']The controllers are one thing...get a Turtle Beach wireless headset. They go through a set of batteries every other day.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I spent 20$ on a charger and 4 rechargable AAA. Always have a set ready to when my headset dies.

Haven't bought anything in a long time from my BBV, but stopped by today and picked up the following for $25:

Two Worlds II PS3
Ninety-Nine Nights 2 260
Napoleon Dynamite BD
A Christmas Story BD
Australia BD

[quote name='Althax']Yup. I spent 20$ on a charger and 4 rechargable AAA. Always have a set ready to when my headset dies.[/QUOTE]

Yes this is a must have. I bought the energizer with 4 AAA and 4 AA and I have saved a ton already!

[quote name='hawaiiboy']I'm out of town for the holidays so I never got the price drops before i left.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy your holiday man! Without you to throw us info, we're all in the dark out here! Oh well, maybe I will just stop by the day after Xmas and just ask what price drops they had.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']I'm out of town for the holidays so I never got the price drops before i left.[/QUOTE]

You obviously don't know details, but so this is what you were alluding to then? Do you know for sure there will be price drops, because really hoping for titles like Transformers and X-men 1st Class to drop down to that $14.99 spot.

[quote name='Schloob']You obviously don't know details, but so this is what you were alluding to then? Do you know for sure there will be price drops, because really hoping for titles like Transformers and X-men 1st Class to drop down to that $14.99 spot.[/QUOTE]

There might be and might not be hes saying he dosnt know since he isnt home

[quote name='Althax']Yup. I spent 20$ on a charger and 4 rechargable AAA. Always have a set ready to when my headset dies.[/QUOTE]

I seriously can't believe anyone uses regular batteries for game controllers and other accessories. I'm always surprised when it pops up on CAG as an issue (that something uses a lot of batteries). I even saw someone in a Gamestop choose to buy a refurbed original Xbox 360 console with a wired controller mainly because they didn't want to hassle with using batteries in a wireless controller. Yeah, good luck with the imminent RRoD there buddy ;).

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Crap burger.

Happy Holiday!

Well, if anyone finds out what games are droppin', let us know (or me, via PM !!!!).

I dont wanna wake up at 9am, and find out there's nothing I want that dropped, or not knowing what dropped b/c they havent changed the prices, etc..

HIboy ... your help is awesome. We miss it.

[quote name='io']I seriously can't believe anyone uses regular batteries for game controllers and other accessories. I'm always surprised when it pops up on CAG as an issue (that something uses a lot of batteries). I even saw someone in a Gamestop choose to buy a refurbed original Xbox 360 console with a wired controller mainly because they didn't want to hassle with using batteries in a wireless controller. Yeah, good luck with the imminent RRoD there buddy ;).[/QUOTE]

I actually use regular batteries....only because I bought a bunch of Kodak ones for 29 cents during the BBV clearance sales. I don't know if I'll even use them all by 2016 (when they expire). I also still have some Duracell batteries from the guitar hero bundles I bought from Kmart after taking them out then trading the bundles at game crazy......:D

[quote name='stoned99']confirmed!! my store is closing in F.V. Thats was the last convenient store to me, so it's bye bye BBV[/QUOTE]

Harbor and adams? They dont have much since I cleared most of it out but for future refrences

I called my BBV and they're doing 3 for $20 blu rays with 2 drinks, 2 candies and gift box or something like that.

They just advertise it that way to boost their candy bundles which are $5. You can do the 3 for $15 by itself if u want.
You obviously don't know details, but so this is what you were alluding to then? Do you know for sure there will be price drops, because really hoping for titles like Transformers and X-men 1st Class to drop down to that $14.99 spot.

It's just supposed to be general clearance sale so I'm thinking all of the Xmas stuff. Hopefully a game price drop since there hasn't been one in a while.

[quote name='intoxicates']I actually use regular batteries....only because I bought a bunch of Kodak ones for 29 cents during the BBV clearance sales. I don't know if I'll even use them all by 2016 (when they expire). I also still have some Duracell batteries from the guitar hero bundles I bought from Kmart after taking them out then trading the bundles at game crazy......:D[/QUOTE]
I'm still using the 24 packs of Energizer AA's that I got from Circuit City on clearance 6 months before they started liquidating all their stores.;) I've only gone through half of one pack so far.

Then on top of that I have the Kodak $.29 batteries from the BBV clearance in the summer, so I have a buncha AAA's/AA's, a couple 9 volt's n I think 1-2 packs of C's n D's that I'll likely completely forget about before they expire.

[quote name='Schloob']You obviously don't know details, but so this is what you were alluding to then? Do you know for sure there will be price drops, because really hoping for titles like Transformers and X-men 1st Class to drop down to that $14.99 spot.[/QUOTE]
You mean Dark Of The Moon, right? The DVD version is already $14.99, as I picked up a copy for chuckles when I grabbed this latest 5 pack for $25(thus bringing my total for this sale up to $175-ish:shock:). I couldn't stand the first two movies due to how Josie & The Pussycats they are(rampant product placement:puke:). I don't wanna know that Chevy is coming out with a new Camaro again this year, Michael Bay. Now stop shoving their product line down my throat.:roll:

I may actually pick Two Worlds II back up from that same store as they had 1-2 copies and pick up Transformers: War For Cybertron again before the sale ends along with a BR copy of A Christmas Story(if I can find one).

I'll probably give the movie to my one buddy who said he sits there n watches a good chunk of the marathon they do every year. More power to him, but I really got sick of it after TNT/TBS used to do those 24 hour marathons of it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean Dark Of The Moon, right? The DVD version is already $14.99, as I picked up a copy for chuckles when I grabbed this latest 5 pack for $25(thus bringing my total for this sale up to $175-ish:shock:). I couldn't stand the first two movies due to how Josie & The Pussycats they are(rampant product placement:puke:). I don't wanna know that Chevy is coming out with a new Camaro again this year, Michael Bay. Now stop shoving their product line down my throat.:roll:

I may actually pick Two Worlds II back up from that same store as they had 1-2 copies and pick up Transformers: War For Cybertron again before the sale ends along with a BR copy of A Christmas Story(if I can find one).

I'll probably give the movie to my one buddy who said he sits there n watches a good chunk of the marathon they do every year. More power to him, but I really got sick of it after TNT/TBS used to do those 24 hour marathons of it.[/QUOTE]I saw some new rental conversions yesterday including A Christmas Story. Might be worth your while to check again tomorrow or Monday.

[quote name='orangecrush']I saw some new rental conversions yesterday including A Christmas Story. Might be worth your while to check again tomorrow or Monday.[/QUOTE]
I hope so. Both of my closest stores have been stripped of nearly anything good since day one of the sale. It sucks, since they didn't even have 'extra' copies of some titles I'd have picked up for $5 each with the original deal(3/$20 or 5/$30) so none of the stores would convert rentals to pre-owned for me to grab.:cry:

Yesterday
Matrix Collectors Ed BR
Toy story 3 - BR/DVD/digital copy
2 - fantasia DVD Sets(the BR versions were sure hard to find)
For 39 bucks (minus 17 for a 4.99 bb dtd green lantern)? Unbelievable

I wonder if the price changes will appear tomorrow ...I really dont wanna wake up on Monday ... drive all the way to nearest one (assuming it hasnt closed since last week) and find nothing decent dropped. Grrrrr.

I was supposed to head out bright n early this morning, but I'm kinda debating going out today. But if I do I'm stopping at BBV with Dungeon Siege III and 1-2 other games I haven't managed to get around to playing yet to see if I can trade em in towards another 3/$15 5/$25 dealie with a couple decent flippables to BB.

Then it's off to BB for a $10 copy of Warhammer, a possible $10 copy of Catherine(someone in the BB @Gamer thread reported Catherine being $29.99 in store:shock:) and to use my B2G1 on pre-owned titles coupon from the welcome package.

Wish me luck.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was supposed to head out bright n early this morning, but I'm kinda debating going out today. But if I do I'm stopping at BBV with Dungeon Siege III and 1-2 other games I haven't managed to get around to playing yet to see if I can trade em in towards another 3/$15 5/$25 dealie with a couple decent flippables to BB.

Then it's off to BB for a $10 copy of Warhammer, a possible $10 copy of Catherine(someone in the BB @Gamer thread reported Catherine being $29.99 in store:shock:) and to use my B2G1 on pre-owned titles coupon from the welcome package.

Wish me luck.;)[/QUOTE]

Good luck. :lol:

bread's done
Back