The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
im going to hopefully check my local here soon. ill post results.

i did call, and they said the sale got extended another week

Last edited by a moderator:
NO PRICE DROPS!!1

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Saw none, talk to the employees, they said there are none.

RAGE!!!!

Oh well. Sale is over.

I swear my store hid all/a lot of the games for this sale. In my local store they NEVER get wiped out of stuff in the normal sales quickly...if at all. They moved some movies and games around and I'm convinced they took some of the games and put them away for the duration since it's such a good deal and didn't want to participate. May sound far fetched but Targets do similar stuff all the time with clearance items.

The odd thing was even really cheap, crappy games were gone. ALL games under $15 were gone not just the good stuff for flips.

I got Heavy Rain in this 3/15 deal.

Had a 19.99 sticker, but asked him to check again. Works for me! Got it along with SvR 2011 and Darksiders. Place didn't have much, but I was satisfied.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was supposed to head out bright n early this morning, but I'm kinda debating going out today. But if I do I'm stopping at BBV with Dungeon Siege III and 1-2 other games I haven't managed to get around to playing yet to see if I can trade em in towards another 3/$15 5/$25 dealie with a couple decent flippables to BB.

Then it's off to BB for a $10 copy of Warhammer, a possible $10 copy of Catherine(someone in the BB @Gamer thread reported Catherine being $29.99 in store:shock:) and to use my B2G1 on pre-owned titles coupon from the welcome package.

Wish me luck.;)[/QUOTE]
Good Luck!! Nice plan I might have to use the part for BB. I may pick up another lord of the rings statue if it's still $9.99 and available.

[quote name='JKSonic']I swear my store hid all/a lot of the games for this sale. In my local store they NEVER get wiped out of stuff in the normal sales quickly...if at all. They moved some movies and games around and I'm convinced they took some of the games and put them away for the duration since it's such a good deal and didn't want to participate. May sound far fetched but Targets do similar stuff all the time with clearance items.

The odd thing was even really cheap, crappy games were gone. ALL games under $15 were gone not just the good stuff for flips.[/QUOTE]

I mention this before. On the first day the deal started, i stop by my closest BBV and picked up 5 games for $30 (Slim pickings). Most of these games were incorrectly label with prices above $14.99 and would have not qualify (per google checkout they were all $14.99 or less). As i was paying, the bbv employee told me it didn't qualify b/c of the games were more than 14.99 and i told them to scan it b/c it was just an incorrect/old label. Here comes the good part. BBV employee told his manager and his manager says "We better start putting them all away b/c we'll be wipe out clean. remove them and put them all in the back".

what a load of crap. this is a freaking corporate promo and these games are corporate inventory but some shady manager decides that he can do what ever he wants.

[quote name='realskillz']how do you find out which blockbuster near you does video game trade ins[/QUOTE]call on a monday and ask the head manager.

thanks for the fast reply and also is there a list of the trade in values I couldn't find any values from the trade in value tool on this website.

Went to my two local BBVs today to check for price drops and was told at both that nothing has dropped since Duke Nukem last week. :(

One of them did say that sometimes stuff can drop during the week, not just on Monday, so I figured I'd save the rest of my trade-in credit for the last day of the sale, to see what might pop up.

[quote name='realskillz']thanks for the fast reply and also is there a list of the trade in values I couldn't find any values from the trade in value tool on this website.[/QUOTE]

No, there is no list. There's just what is reported every so often in this thread by other CAGs. You can ask Hawaiiboy to look up a value or two. Otherwise you'll just have to call BBV or take your games in and check.

And make sure they understand what you mean. Nearly every time I bring something in to trade now they are very confused about it and start looking for the rental sleeve in the back of my game and whatnot. For the longest time I had no idea why they did this since it didn't used to happen when I traded a few years ago. But then once I signed up for the Combo Pass I figured it out. "Trade" to them means you are bringing back your one rental and swapping it for another. That, combined with them getting rid of the rental cases and using the actual game cases for rentals (a bad move IMO when considering future sale of the used games), plus the small amount of game trading that they do, results in much confusion when doing game trade-ins ;).

I feel sad :(, closest BBV store is closing down. Went there to check out the stock since they dropped the price on the deal, only to see the doors locked and a sign on the door saying tommorow was their last business day and they were opening for a store closing sale at like 11AM.

Sucks too, all the employees there were super nice and helpful. And there will only be 1 store left in like a 60 mile radius now

[quote name='WeaponX2099']two local BBV stores around me are closing. Damn.[/QUOTE]

Are the stores near you that are closing still listed when you use the store locator on the Blockbuster website? They are usually pretty quick with removing stores from that list once they are closing soon or are already closed. So far none in my area have been removed, but maybe they haven't revised the list yet since some stores are doing closing sales.

[quote name='winterlane']Are the stores near you that are closing still listed when you use the store locator on the Blockbuster website? They are usually pretty quick with removing stores from that list once they are closing soon or are already closed. So far none in my area have been removed, but maybe they haven't revised the list yet since some stores are doing closing sales.[/QUOTE]

Nope, they are still on the list. What's worse is that Movies like Rise of the Planet of the Apes on my BBO Queue show 6 copies available at the closest store.

The furthest BBV from me(Carbondale, PA) is closing. They were setting up to start the liquidation sale TOMORROW as they had the doors locked and all of the signs up mentioning the closing sale.

One thing I noticed is that the percentage sign already read 30% off, so maybe this is gonna be a fast liquidation sale.

EDIT: Woohoo. I just called my closest store and the one lady manager picked up n I asked if they were closing and asked about the other two stores in the area. She told me the three that will be left are not closing. Of course, that may change since I figured this area had seen the last of the liquidation sales after we went from 10-12 stores in a 30 mile down to 4.

I really hope Dish is done closing stores after this furthest store is gone. If I have to rely on Sears/Target/TRU and on occasion Gamefly n Amazon for cheap clearance priced games I'll end up playing through my entire backlog.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The furthest BBV from me(Carbondale, PA) is closing. They were setting up to start the liquidation sale TOMORROW as they had the doors locked and all of the signs up mentioning the closing sale.

One thing I noticed is that the percentage sign already read 30% off, so maybe this is gonna be a fast liquidation sale.

EDIT: Woohoo. I just called my closest store and the one lady manager picked up n I asked if they were closing and asked about the other two stores in the area. She told me the three that will be left are not closing. Of course, that may change since I figured this area had seen the last of the liquidation sales after we went from 10-12 stores in a 30 mile down to 4.

I really hope Dish is done closing stores after this furthest store is gone. If I have to rely on Sears/Target/TRU and on occasion Gamefly n Amazon for cheap clearance priced games I'll end up playing through my entire backlog.:cry:[/QUOTE]

I used to work for BBV and I still have a couple friends who work there, to their knowledge Dish wants to eventually make them an "online" only feature and get more into the instant streaming. It's not looking good. Not 100% but from what I remember and what those still there say, it's not a bright future.

I was just at my local Blockbuster and picked up Sherlock Holmes, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, and Rock Band 3 through the sale. I asked the guy at checkout if they were closing and he said they will be open at least through 2013, and that the odds of my Blockbuster closing is slim since they share rent with a Papa Johns that is located inside the Blockbuster. I think these Blockbusters closing really just depends on if they can pay their landlords...

Just got back from my favorite BBV just to find out they are closing. The manager is an awesome guy and decided to comvert any of the extra rentals to part of the 3/15-5/25 deal got 8 more games and finished out the credit I had left. He said to get them now because next week there was someone coming in to jack the prices back up and then start the liquidation.
I got to talking with him and asked about the fixtures and he said he would sell me the ICEE machine. Always wanted my own ICEE machine. I hope it doesn't cost me a small fortune to get it. I also don't think they are going to let me use credit to buy it either.
I really will miss this store. It's not the closest to me but the coolest people work there.
Out of the 6 stores in my area this seems to be the only one closing and it's part of a strip mall with a ATT store and a pizza place.

[quote name='foreinter']Does anyone know what will happen if I still have the store credit and the store is closed? Do I lose all my credit?[/QUOTE]Yes.

My local bbv just had started the closing sale and everything was jacked up. Then had a 10% off sticker. So definately a nogo as far as any decent sales.

My 2 closest stores are closing. I'll have to drive at least 30 minutes with no traffic if I want to go to BBV. I'm really bummed out. I used to have 15 stores within 30-45 minutes of my home. Now there are 3.

Interesting. The one store near me closing had their games marked at their normal prices, plus 10% off. But since some of those games almost never went on sale (i.e. they only ever had one copy in store so they didn't convert them from rentals often) it was a solid opportunity to pick up a couple of $5-10 titles. Also managed to snag some really good $.99 DVDs as well, and I mean like Happy Gilmore and other movies I genuinely want to own.

so lame. the bb store near my house is closing. oh well, did pick up a resident evil 5 collector's edition (box is all fawk up) for $15 with 10% off.

[quote name='postaboy']so lame. the bb store near my house is closing. oh well, did pick up a resident evil 5 collector's edition (box is all fawk up) for $15 with 10% off.[/QUOTE]

I don't even know where the closet one is where I live. So many have closed down. I would not be surprised if BBV just became online only.

[quote name='orangecrush']Yes.[/QUOTE]

didnt some people have credit transfered to other stores? If you have another Blockbuster nearby you may be able to get your credit transferred.

[quote name='foreinter']Does anyone know what will happen if I still have the store credit and the store is closed? Do I lose all my credit?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='orangecrush']Yes.[/QUOTE]

Can the credit be used during the store closing sale?

So many stores closing and no one here should be complaining. This is what happens when you guys flip KA, Hunted, and Dukes so many times. It only accelerated their eventual demise.

My local store is closing down...hopefully the next closest one doesn't go under either. What's gonna happen to my combo pass if my store is closing down?

[quote name='itsoverninethousand']So many stores closing and no one here should be complaining. This is what happens when you guys flip KA, Hunted, and Dukes so many times. It only accelerated their eventual demise.[/QUOTE]

And renting at a B&M is an inconvenient non-lucrative endeavor in this decade. It doesn't fucking matter how much popcorn bags, smart water, and 4-year-old bagged pickles you sell.

[quote name='TheHelix']My local store is closing down...hopefully the next closest one doesn't go under either. What's gonna happen to my combo pass if my store is closing down?[/QUOTE]

you could ask if it could be transferred to a near by store. if they cant then you're sol.

[quote name='dino88']Can the credit be used during the store closing sale?[/QUOTE]
Yeah. You should be able to use it during the store closing sale. I know I used some credit when the one BBV around here shut down a year or two ago.
[quote name='itsoverninethousand']So many stores closing and no one here should be complaining. This is what happens when you guys flip KA, Hunted, and Dukes so many times. It only accelerated their eventual demise.[/QUOTE]
Actually I didn't flip any of those and even if I did I would've done it in smaller numbers than some of the folks I know did.:razz: If anything, I don't need to be sitting on hundreds in BBV credit, especially with the way Dish is closing stores still.

One more store closing kinda near me.

Hilariously, a few patrons (specifically people looking to rent) started arguing with employees, saying that they wasted their time finding something to rent because they weren't warned that everything was only for sale. This is in spite of the store being littered with huge signs that said just that.

stores are closing based on when leases on buildings are up, not on sales. The busiest Blockbuster near me closed due to the rent getting jacked way up, the next busiest just started it's closing sale. Thankfully the other one i know of has its lease until 2013

Where in PA are you, wolverine? Just curious since I know the BBV up the road about 5-10 miles from the one that just started their closing sale yesterday closed over the summer.

The store in Lee's Summit, MO is closing down. Sad that it's one less store I can hit during crazy sales; but it's like 30 minutes away, so I've only hit it like three times per year.

Still have the two in Blue Springs, and one in Independence. I can't complain. Hopefully they stay for at least a couple more years.

Hilariously, the store that was closing had everything at a ridiculous 10% off :whistle2:/ Best part? All of the used games were marked MSRP. Example: Zelda Skyward Sword, used and previously rented, was marked $49.99. I'm sure the disc was in crappy shape, and the box was missing the instructions and the Club Nintendo code. Fail.

Checked my store today and it made me laugh, all the prices were so jacked up it wasnt even funny. (And i had just been there the week before).

Used copies of Duke Nukem without the cases for 19.99 each, and a few other games that usually sold for 6.99 were jacked up to 14.99.

It makes me sad how stupid they think people must be to fall for it

[quote name='dgwillia006']Checked my store today and it made me laugh, all the prices were so jacked up it wasnt even funny. (And i had just been there the week before).

Used copies of Duke Nukem without the cases for 19.99 each, and a few other games that usually sold for 6.99 were jacked up to 14.99.

It makes me sad how stupid they think people must be to fall for it[/QUOTE]
Yet quite a few obviously do since there's never anything left by the time the percentages go up to the level where they're decent.

Dammit - I drove by my local Blockbuster on the way home from Best Buy tonight and saw it festooned with "Store Closing" signs. Dammit, dammit, dammit... And I just signed up for the stupid combo pass a few weeks ago.

So what happens with the pass? I hope they will refund me pro-rated (like $7.xx or so). I do not want it transfered to another store as the next closest ones are 10 miles each way. Blockbuster will essentially be dead to me after this except for the occasional B1G1 or whataver sale if there are some things that are too good to pass up (and making a long 60+ mile loop to hit up the remaining stores makes any sense).

I have two rental cards from trading in old gift cards that I'll never be able to use either (since it isn't practical for me to rent, watch, then return to these faraway stores with 1-day turnaround). Maybe if they had the old 5-day rentals I could use them.

So this was the store that according to one of the long-time employees was all of the following: the only profitable one in the district, had the lowest rent, had the highest margins due to a lot of cash transactions, and would be the last one they'd ever close. So, yeah... But when did any of their decisions ever make any sense?

I can tell you one thing - I'd be royally pissed if I signed up for one of the Dish packages that promised the Blockbuster pass as a bonus.

That made me laugh out loud. Good Lord. Take off your high heels and tiara, drama queen. These are decisions made on rent and the fact that their business model just doesn't work anymore. What you said is so damn dumb that it's hard to respond on a non condescending level.

bread's done
Back