The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DJP519']Right in my same neighborhood. I was at the 7 Mile & Middlebelt store today, and was told the 9 & Middlebelt store and the 5 & Merriman store would both start liquidating on Monday. I'm not sure about the store at 9 Mile & Novi Rd. That one was open the last I checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is also on next week's hit list.

Around here, they definitely seemed to have over-saturated the market previously, but they've already closed nearly half of the area stores over the past year or so. Looks like they're calling it quits completely now.

One note, that store previously had a "moving" sign up, but it's now been replaced with a "closing" store. At least they're being a bit more honest about it now![/QUOTE]

Hmm maybe I'll swing by the Detroit area in a couple weeks. Only one Blockbuster left in the tri city area. Sucks.

michigan is hit hard

13 and Gratiot

16 and Gratiot

all going away and they been there forever

all i got left is 18 and garfield and the manager there is mega bitch lol

[quote name='Tsel']If the store's closing, then there won't be anymore rentals, so there'll be nothing to convert. Everything will be sold individually, so no more 3 for 15 or any bundles for that matter. Sucks, I know.[/QUOTE]

Oh I know that, I meant I could try to get them to convert rentals before the liquidation process even starts. That process won't begin till Sunday, so they are still doing rentals up till Saturday I believe.

[quote name='aspen1284']Oh I know that, I meant I could try to get them to convert rentals before the liquidation process even starts. That process won't begin till Sunday, so they are still doing rentals up till Saturday I believe.[/QUOTE]That is what I meant when I sugested it.

[quote name='ploppsdman']There's got to be a price drop coming ... only trouble is .. it's probably Duke Nuke 'em, and it will drop to $15.01.

Geesh. I didn't even want it when I could buy it for 5.[/QUOTE]

Duke Nuke 'em is old school, simple FPS fun. It's not a horrible game, there were far worse games released last year. It's worth $10-$15.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Duke Nuke 'em is old school, simple FPS fun. It's not a horrible game, there were far worse games released last year. It's worth $10-$15.[/QUOTE]

but it was $10 or less at some point at pretty much every retailer last year.

[quote name='aspen1284']Oh I know that, I meant I could try to get them to convert rentals before the liquidation process even starts. That process won't begin till Sunday, so they are still doing rentals up till Saturday I believe.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='orangecrush']That is what I meant when I sugested it.[/QUOTE]

Oh okay. I thought you meant AFTER the liquidation process.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']but it was $10 or less at some point at pretty much every retailer last year.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I saw it for $15.99 at Blockbuster today. I agree at this point at that price it's too much to pay. It can be had cheaper.

With this long sale it's harder to get all good games, it seems people snatch up the good ones as they drop, to get a good one you have to get several crappy ones. making the deal sour. anyone else running into this?

Ive all but given up with my blockbuster. I literally hoarded that place during the year (still waiting for donkey Kong to drop) and now I'm paying the price lol. At least I can still get movie candy with those 2 for 3$ deals !

[quote name='Sinnbox']With this long sale it's harder to get all good games, it seems people snatch up the good ones as they drop, to get a good one you have to get several crappy ones. making the deal sour. anyone else running into this?[/QUOTE]
Yeah. But at my closest BBV stores there's not even "crappy" games(see: Brink) to grab even if there were a copy of a single decent game.:lol:

How much you wanna bet that Dish will end this sale right as a good buncha games drop to $14.99?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How much you wanna bet that Dish will end this sale right as a good buncha games drop to $14.99?[/QUOTE]
It seems more likely that they will end this sale once every BBV has closed. So 2 months?

[quote name='Sinnbox']With this long sale it's harder to get all good games, it seems people snatch up the good ones as they drop, to get a good one you have to get several crappy ones. making the deal sour. anyone else running into this?[/QUOTE]

Im not having too much of a trouble. Actually found another God of War 3 which i thought i had hoarded all of them.

It does suck that LA Noire and others went back up in price. They were nice fillers if you needed it.

[quote name='ackbar7']It seems more likely that they will end this sale once every BBV has closed. So 2 months?[/QUOTE]
That seems about right with the way they're STILL closing stores. I just don't get it. I mean, why buy the damn chain if you're gonna nuke it into oblivion within a year or two? To gauge how much foot traffic the stores get and open/re-open combination stores with a small Blockbuster section and a place to shill your shitty tv service?

It just makes no sense whatsoever. Although I can definitely understand them annihilating stores that are losing money or places where the landlords jacked up their lease by a huge amount.

It seems like they're following the Kmart/Sears game plan here and just running the chain into the ground.
[quote name='Abeja']Im not having too much of a trouble. Actually found another God of War 3 which i thought i had hoarded all of them.[/QUOTE]
I was shocked as hell that all 25+ copies of God Of War 3 completely disappeared from each of the stores around here.

this is supposedly it for closures so whatever stores are left at the end of march should be safe (who knows for how long though). the company is going down to approx 950 stores from the 1500 or so they had before this latest round of closings started. they are undergoing major changes(cutbacks) at the upper mgmt level so who knows what will happen.

Well, they seem to have removed all the large "Store Moving" signs and now mostly have "Store Closing" signs which all make a point of it being "This Location Only" though that is a big-ass lie since several others are closing (and a few I drove buy last week I was surprised to see were completely gone - they didn't even go through the normal closure procedure). But I guess they are trying to make the point that they aren't going completely under.

But seriously, I've never seen so much rebranding and rearranging of a store closing sale - the signs are different nearly every time I drive by :lol:. I guess for the most part the people still working there don't have much to do so they keep them busy rearranging the signs.

[quote name='io']Well, they seem to have removed all the large "Store Moving" signs and now mostly have "Store Closing" signs which all make a point of it being "This Location Only" though that is a big-ass lie since several others are closing (and a few I drove buy last week I was surprised to see were completely gone - they didn't even go through the normal closure procedure). But I guess they are trying to make the point that they aren't going completely under.

But seriously, I've never seen so much rebranding and rearranging of a store closing sale - the signs are different nearly every time I drive by :lol:. I guess for the most part the people still working there don't have much to do so they keep them busy rearranging the signs.[/QUOTE]Got my oil changed yesterday and while I was waiting I went to the BBV next door which I've checked on frequently. Same deal as the signs had been changed from "moving" to "closing." I already got a new Band of Brothers BR set and The Matrix there, but I'll probably be getting more as a lot of stuff is lasting while used dvds/brs are down to 5.99. Lots of kids blus I'd get but I'm hesitant cause buying cheap br/dvd packs are useful for having dvds at times. Was really tempted by Sarah Connor Chronicles Season 1 br for 13. Certain movies on br should last a long time like Inception and District 9 cause there are a ton of copies.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']this is supposedly it for closures so whatever stores are left at the end of march should be safe (who knows for how long though). the company is going down to approx 950 stores from the 1500 or so they had before this latest round of closings started. they are undergoing major changes(cutbacks) at the upper mgmt level so who knows what will happen.[/QUOTE]

With all the closings in my area, I'm surprised that that number isn't even lower. Seems like a lot more than 1/3 of their stores closed or are closing.

Haven't run across any moving or closing signs at any of the BBV's in Houston. Stopped by the one in Kemah today on my way home, and picked up Prince Of Persia, GI Joe:The Rise Of Cobra, and Tiger Woods PGA 2011 all for PS3. They had Transformers:War for Cybertron for rental, but the manager wouldn't convert it for me.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That seems about right with the way they're STILL closing stores. I just don't get it. I mean, why buy the damn chain if you're gonna nuke it into oblivion within a year or two? To gauge how much foot traffic the stores get and open/re-open combination stores with a small Blockbuster section and a place to shill your shitty tv service?

It just makes no sense whatsoever. Although I can definitely understand them annihilating stores that are losing money or places where the landlords jacked up their lease by a huge amount.

It seems like they're following the Kmart/Sears game plan here and just running the chain into the ground.

I was shocked as hell that all 25+ copies of God Of War 3 completely disappeared from each of the stores around here.[/QUOTE]
Dish probably paid pennies for Blockbuster given it's stock price. They picked up Blockbuster's digital movie service that is now a free bonus for joining Dish and I think Blockbuster also has Redbox style kiosks.

All of the games that were 14.99 last visit were 15.99 now haha. Got Dragon Age 2 with a couple Blurays for $15 though, so not a total loss.

[quote name='awp']With all the closings in my area, I'm surprised that that number isn't even lower. Seems like a lot more than 1/3 of their stores closed or are closing.[/QUOTE]In the Atlanta area it seems that about 85% of the stores that were open when I moved here in 2002 are now closed. There used to be so many I could hit a different handful of stores each of the different ways I could come home and there were probably 15 or so within 20 minutes of my house, maybe more. At the time it seemed like too many . . . There are now only two anywhere nearby the house, one is twenty minutes away and the other 30 or so but on the way home for me. No others that are reasonable to try to shop at.

[quote name='J7.']Dish probably paid pennies for Blockbuster given it's stock price. They picked up Blockbuster's digital movie service that is now a free bonus for joining Dish and I think Blockbuster also has Redbox style kiosks.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they're all about the already established digital service that they can market better and integrate with Dish's service. Can you access Blockbuster online through a Dish box? That would be a nice integration of products. Synergy. And they do have a bunch of kiosks as well although at one point those were going to be canceled. Maybe that was a Blockbuster idea and Dish decided to keep them. Might as well. There will soon be NO local physical competition for Redbox. Why not have a competing kiosk? For years I thought it was funny they had a kiosk at the gas station right next to the BBV across the street from my house, now that the store's closing I have to wonder if that was a factor in closing that particular store as opposed to the one they kept open.

Yeah since my BBV down the street is going, there's like six Redbox machines in my neighborhood, and one BBV Express kiosk. However, BBV kiosks aren't competitive though. For new releases it costs $2.99 to rent per day, and Redbox it's only $1.20. BB Express doesn't even have games either.

[quote name='J7.']Dish probably paid pennies for Blockbuster given it's stock price. They picked up Blockbuster's digital movie service that is now a free bonus for joining Dish and I think Blockbuster also has Redbox style kiosks.[/QUOTE]
If I remember correctly, the Redbox style kiosks were run by a seperate company that bought rights to use the Blockbuster name. Besides which, any of those kiosks I saw around this area disappeared right before the sale to Dish.

Is anyone aware of any addition closings in the Indianapolis area besides Brooks School, Avon, and 86th and Ditch? I haven't been able to get out for a couple weeks.

OMG YES ! My bbv did a crap load of transfers. They put resistance 3, portal 2, battlefield 3 and a copy of deus ex ! I'm watching that deus ex copy like a hawk as I want it to drop to 14.99. If it does then its a great piece to add to that 3 for 14.99 deal :)

So do we have any word when this 3 for $15/5 for $25 sale might end? I skimmed back a few pages but didn't see it. Whenever the framed art dropped to 90%, I went to a couple of stores (neither of which had any art) and both had signs up for the sale, stating it was the last week.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Looks like another week with no price drops :([/QUOTE]
:bomb: Damn you Dish Network. Drop some of the $19.99 games so I can grab some more shit that'll sit in my backlog for months(years).;)

Thanks nonetheless though Hawaiiboy. Your updates on Saturday evenings are most appreciated, even if the update is 'no update'.:)

Stuff at my liquidating store that's planning to close in March actually went up in price in the video game department haha. I remember when the store closing sales started that all copies of Duke Nukem were $14.99 each but after walking in today a few weeks later to see they now have 20% off all games but one copy of Duke Nukem was remarked $39.99 and the other was remarked $49.99 haha.

Needless to say I didn't get any video games today. Just a bunch of new $7.99 blu rays and DVD's as well as the multiple lots of 5 movies (blu ray or DVD) in shipping sleeves for $7.50 (as in every 5 movies only costs a grand total of $7.50 and they had recent movies like inception, dinner for schmucks, and etc) since I wont be able to get in on the 3 for $15 used sale anyway.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:bomb: Damn you Dish Network. Drop some of the $19.99 games so I can grab some more shit that'll sit in my backlog for months(years).;)

Thanks nonetheless though Hawaiiboy. Your updates on Saturday evenings are most appreciated, even if the update is 'no update'.:)[/QUOTE]

You sir, are a true CAGer. :D

[quote name='NismoZ32']Stuff at my liquidating store that's planning to close in March actually went up in price in the video game department haha. I remember when the store closing sales started that all copies of Duke Nukem were $14.99 each but after walking in today a few weeks later to see they now have 20% off all games but one copy of Duke Nukem was remarked $39.99 and the other was remarked $49.99 haha.

Needless to say I didn't get any video games today. Just a bunch of new $7.99 blu rays and DVD's as well as the multiple lots of 5 movies (blu ray or DVD) in shipping sleeves for $7.50 (as in every 5 movies only costs a grand total of $7.50 and they had recent movies like inception, dinner for schmucks, and etc) since I wont be able to get in on the 3 for $15 used sale anyway.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if closing stores have uniform base prices, but Duke Nukem shouldn't be that much. When we switched to closing, a lot of our stuff was incorrectly priced. I switched all the prices myself on day 1 closing, and I haven't run into any price increases yet. I'd say it's worth investigating at your store, maybe employees just didn't switch it--understandable given the circumstances.

[quote name='linkbear']I don't know if closing stores have uniform base prices, but Duke Nukem shouldn't be that much. When we switched to closing, a lot of our stuff was incorrectly priced. I switched all the prices myself on day 1 closing, and I haven't run into any price increases yet. I'd say it's worth investigating at your store, maybe employees just didn't switch it--understandable given the circumstances.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of price tags not always being correct, does anyone know how much Dungeon Siege 3's base price is at a closing store. There is one left marked at $39.99 for 360 at my closing store and I don't want to get a price check and alert anyone it's mismarked until it'll be a little cheaper. I'm not sure if it dropped before or after closings started.

For any CAG's in the Mt. Pocono(PA) area, the BBV in the same plaza as Shop-Rite is closing. They were retagging shit and had 'store is closed today' signs when I pulled in.:cry: Had I gone that way yesterday like I intended to, then I would've maybe been able to get them to pull some stuff from the rental shelves to convert.

It's a shame. That's the ONLY BBV store in that area anymore just about, since the ones in Allentown and what not are also closing.

Is there a way to check prices. I know some movies are listed on the site, but AFAIK not all of them are. I've been waiting for Green Hornet and a few other blu/game drops.

[quote name='joeyshadows']Is there a way to check prices. I know some movies are listed on the site, but AFAIK not all of them are. I've been waiting for Green Hornet and a few other blu/game drops.[/QUOTE]

Best way I know of is google shopping. Type in the blockbuster then the movie you want to check the price of

Dammit :(, went to check a stores stock this morning to find out they were closing too. That means theres just 1 store left in the whole area, and i havent been there in about 2 weeks, so im not even sure if they are still open.

Gonna miss the epic deals :(

The sale is ending today. Beginning tomorrow the prices go back to how they used to be 3 for $20 on titles $14.99 and 5 for $20 on $9.99 and under. Games are not part of any deal and just go back to Normal prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hawaiiboy']The sale is ending today. Beginning tomorrow the prices go back to how they used to be 3 for $20 on titles $14.99 and under and 5 for $20 on $9.99 and under. Games are not part of any deal and just go back to Normal prices.[/QUOTE]

Well darn! :( Was really hoping we'd see some $20 & $25 games drop to $14.99 during this sale. Alas, guess it wasn't meant to be.

This sale started with a real heck of a bang, but it really fizzled into nothing after Christmas.

In any case, thanks for the update, HB.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']The sale is ending today. Beginning tomorrow the prices go back to how they used to be 3 for $20 on titles $14.99 and 5 for $20 on $9.99 and under. Games are not part of any deal and just go back to Normal prices.[/QUOTE]

Wha??? Damn, I was going to go grab another set of 3 games tomorrow too. What a kick to the crotch... Why does BBV insist on doing crap like this last minute with no warning to customers who may want to grab a couple things before the sale ends?

My closest store is officially liquidating today. That leaves only one store left in town, and I don't imagine they'll be around long, since they're always slower and have worse selection and customer service than the one that's closing.

It's a bummer. I'm glad I used up all my credit on 5 for $25 stuff, at least.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']The sale is ending today. Beginning tomorrow the prices go back to how they used to be 3 for $20 on titles $14.99 and 5 for $20 on $9.99 and under. Games are not part of any deal and just go back to Normal prices.[/QUOTE]
Well that sucks. Like I said before, knowing our luck some of the better $20 and above titles will drop to $14.99 next week too.:bomb: It couldn't last forever, I suppose.
[quote name='aspen1284']Wha??? Damn, I was going to go grab another set of 3 games tomorrow too. What a kick to the crotch... Why does BBV insist on doing crap like this last minute with no warning to customers who may want to grab a couple things before the sale ends?[/QUOTE]
That's why you run out tonight to grab whatever you want.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']The sale is ending today. Beginning tomorrow the prices go back to how they used to be 3 for $20 on titles $14.99 and 5 for $20 on $9.99 and under. Games are not part of any deal and just go back to Normal prices.[/QUOTE]What about the new Blu sale of 3 for 25 or 5 for 40, is that ending as well? Thanks HB.

bread's done
Back