The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Grabbed a game at one of the local stores going through the liquidation process and they let me use BBV gift cards. I was under the impression that you can only use cash/card to purchase stuff at closing stores?!

Don't feel as bad not getting anything during this sale but there might not be another sale again the way things are going.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']The sale is ending today. Beginning tomorrow the prices go back to how they used to be 3 for $20 on titles $14.99 and 5 for $20 on $9.99 and under. Games are not part of any deal and just go back to Normal prices.[/QUOTE]It was fun while it lasted. I picked up so many games and blus over $9.99 with this sale. Thanks for all the info these past few months.

Not surprised by any of this. I overheard a conference call that the manager was on and things were not looking good. They lost 1.5 million on Reel Steel and Paranormal Activity because of overbuys. Also there was a lot of talk of ending programs (including some kind of gift card program). Other than some boring stuff about allotments for new movies that need to be sent back to the mail order department, nothing of interest.

Oh well, I meant to check out a few stores that maybe hadn't closed yet but just never bothered. This whole sale (and BBV in general) went out with a whimper.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Not surprised by any of this. I overheard a conference call that the manager was on and things were not looking good. They lost 1.5 million on Reel Steel and Paranormal Activity because of overbuys. Also there was a lot of talk of ending programs (including some kind of gift card program). Other than some boring stuff about allotments for new movies that need to be sent back to the mail order department, nothing of interest.[/QUOTE]

You would think BB would learn its lesson after how horrible the other 2 PA movies were.

[quote name='kanamit']cue the music...."Don't stop..................................." fade to black[/QUOTE]

Speaking of that show
The Sopranos
I found all four discs of Season 5 in the the bin of no-cover-art dvds in envelopes (the blockbuster online overstock, apparently) at a store that just started closing yesterday.

So my area currently has 2 stores that are staying open (for now), 3 stores currently in liquidation, and at least 7 more stores that I can think of that closed in the past 18 months or so. Going from one extreme (over-saturation) to the other.

I have a distinct feeling that at least one of the three remaining stores within a 20 mile radius of my house are gonna close sooner than later as well.:cry:

As DJP519 said, we went from oversaturation(11-12 stores) down to next to none(3 as of now).

[quote name='io']Oh well, I meant to check out a few stores that maybe hadn't closed yet but just never bothered. This whole sale (and BBV in general) went out with a whimper.[/QUOTE]

Of course it went out with a whimper...those sales are usually a week long and the stores are still cleared out after 2 days. This one went on two months, there was no way they were going to keep anything of great interest in stock at the end.

The sale had to end at some point, they probably cleared out of a bunch of crap. Although I have no idea what if anything they're plans are for the shelf space they might have now.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Of course it went out with a whimper...those sales are usually a week long and the stores are still cleared out after 2 days. This one went on two months, there was no way they were going to keep anything of great interest in stock at the end.

The sale had to end at some point, they probably cleared out of a bunch of crap. Although I have no idea what if anything they're plans are for the shelf space they might have now.[/QUOTE]

It was more than that, though - there were really no great price drops. It seems for nearly every B1G1 sale there was a great price drop the very last weekend that meant a huge rush (and a big ending) for the sale as people got the latest thing on the one day (Monday) it was available. They used to go out with a bang, in fact, even when they went on for 5-6 weeks.

But I meant it in more ways too - the whole thing with so many stores closing meant the sale wasn't even active in a lot of places. There are 3-4 stores I normally go to that are closing or already closed (one was completely empty and I had just been there a few weeks before - they didn't even do the liquidation it seems). I didn't even bother to see if the handful of ones that I don't know about are closing or not nor have I checked out their selection in weeks because the whole store closure deal is just kind of depressing. So that's also what I meant... BBV as a whole went out with a whimper as far as I'm concerned. That could very well be the end of the whole thing - and certainly for a lot of us (depending on location) it is practically the end or very close to it no matter what sales they might have in the future.

And to think, 6 years ago I actually had a Gamerush store 8 miles away (the only one within about 600 miles), when that actually meant something (great trade-in deals, preorder promos, 50% off sales on new games and accessories, and a healthy stock of new and used games). Things sure have fallen since those good ol' days ;).

[quote name='strait edge follower']Anyone here think bbv is going to survive the year ? I don't :([/QUOTE]
With the way Dish is closing stores still, I highly doubt it.

Was at my BBV again and they've been closing since early January...prices are STILL absolute crap. Oh well at least I can be proud of most of the locals around here for holding out and not freaking out and buying it all at 10% off jacked up prices.

[quote name='DJP519']Looks like Redbox is buying out the Blockbuster Express kiosk business from NCR Corp: http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/redbox-parent-buys-maker-of-blockbuster-dvd-kiosks/[/QUOTE]

It's a smart business move. If red box basically monopolizes the rental kiosk business then it could be the beginning of the end for blockbuster (as if it wasn't suffering enough). I'm going to be on stand by every week getting ready for that inevitable liquidation sale and check the invintory constantly. I want bbv to stay around and for hb along with the other bbv employees to keep their jobs but it isn't looking good :(

One of the 3 BBV's that are within a half hour drive of me is closing, but they did have some decent closing sales going on... All video games were marked 30%, which meant Gears of War 3 for $25 and MW3 for $35, which I thought were decent prices... And all DVD's were only $5. Still, it makes me sad that its closing. I remember back in 2005 when that BBV would have every movie out of stock on the weekends.

Thankfully the BBV closest to me is still open. Splitting rent with a Papa John's probably helps.

Hopefully I can stop by BBV on Friday; the store closest to me is very close to their closing date, and pretty much every used blu is $5. I asked him about Deathly Hallows Part 2 since it was still a relatively new movie, and it was $5! It had a generic case though so I decided against it.

Pretty much all the Disney blus are gone, but I did see some gems left over.The Hurt Locker and Layer Cake come to mind.

[quote name='Smart Aleck']Hopefully I can stop by BBV on Friday; the store closest to me is very close to their closing date, and pretty much every used blu is $5. I asked him about Deathly Hallows Part 2 since it was still a relatively new movie, and it was $5! It had a generic case though so I decided against it.

Pretty much all the Disney blus are gone, but I did see some gems left over.The Hurt Locker and Layer Cake come to mind.[/QUOTE]
I'm still waiting for my one buddy to get done watching the BR copy of The Deathly Hallows Part 2 that I grabbed during the 5/$25 sale so I can sell the damn thing on either CL or to the local shop for about what I paid back.

That reminds me that I still have some other BR movies I was supposed to watch(POTC: On Stranger Tides, Pillars Of The Earth set) but haven't gotten around to yet either.:whistle2:#

[quote name='Smart Aleck']
...pretty much every used blu is $5. I asked him about Deathly Hallows Part 2 since it was still a relatively new movie, and it was $5! It had a generic case though so I decided against it.[/QUOTE]

FYI, virtually all used blu-rays at Blockbuster will always have generic cases, but will have the actual, original artwork, that you can pull out and put into a replacement blu case if you want. BBV's distribution center shipped them out that way, the stores never get the actual, original blu cases.

(The handful of exceptions are for movies they couldn't get from their distributors during their bankruptcy reorganization, I think they actually sent employees out to to buy copies at retail to use for rental, so they may have a handful of actual blu cases.)

[quote name='DJP519']FYI, virtually all used blu-rays at Blockbuster will always have generic cases, but will have the actual, original artwork, that you can pull out and put into a replacement blu case if you want. BBV's distribution center shipped them out that way, the stores never get the actual, original blu cases.

(The handful of exceptions are for movies they couldn't get from their distributors during their bankruptcy reorganization, I think they actually sent employees out to to buy copies at retail to use for rental, so they may have a handful of actual blu cases.)[/QUOTE]
That's how some of the Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 copies were around here, where half had the generic case while the other half had the real Blu-Ray cases.

All Blus at my store are now $3.99. Too bad everything is picked over completely. Games are at 40% off which makes for some pretty sweet deals, but there's nothing I want. TONS of Gears 3, Battlefield 3s, Arkham Citys. I wanted Saint's Row: The Third, but it was nowhere to be found.

[quote name='Tsel']All Blus at my store are now $3.99. Too bad everything is picked over completely. Games are at 40% off which makes for some pretty sweet deals, but there's nothing I want. TONS of Gears 3, Battlefield 3s, Arkham Citys. I wanted Saint's Row: The Third, but it was nowhere to be found.[/QUOTE]
The one near me (SoCal) has games 30% off highly priced games (killzone 3 preowned for ~$35), and blu-rays are $4.99, and the store closes in a week. Will go check back 2 days before it closes if possible.

[quote name='TooPoor']The one near me (SoCal) has games 30% off highly priced games (killzone 3 preowned for ~$35), and blu-rays are $4.99, and the store closes in a week. Will go check back 2 days before it closes if possible.[/QUOTE]

What other store is closing?

[quote name='DJP519']FYI, virtually all used blu-rays at Blockbuster will always have generic cases, but will have the actual, original artwork[/QUOTE]

I know about the cases, but it was the artwork that was generic. I should have elaborated. It was just the Hogwarts castle behind a green sky with the title over it. The "Harry Potter" title wasn't even the actual title that you would see on the real artwork. Hell, it looked like it had been hand drawn, albeit by a good artist.

[quote name='schuerm26']Is Blockbuster getting any new rental games in today besides Amalur? Are they getting the Darkness II?[/QUOTE]I dont know if you found your answer yet but yes, at least by me, they have the darkness II for rent

Rented The Darkness II today and they had pulled the single use codes already. Checked Amalur and the codes had been removed from those copies as well. Damn. I've had a good run getting season passes / DLC in the past.

[quote name='stoned99']Rented The Darkness II today and they had pulled the single use codes already. Checked Amalur and the codes had been removed from those copies as well. Damn. I've had a good run getting season passes / DLC in the past.[/QUOTE]

I got lucky then. I got the code in my rental copy of Amalur.

[quote name='Smart Aleck']I know about the cases, but it was the artwork that was generic. I should have elaborated. It was just the Hogwarts castle behind a green sky with the title over it. The "Harry Potter" title wasn't even the actual title that you would see on the real artwork. Hell, it looked like it had been hand drawn, albeit by a good artist.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Yeah, they did something similar for the Star Wars blu-ray discs. I'm assuming the original packaging doesn't have artwork for each disc, so they have an insert they must have printed at their distribution center. It's the size of the DVD case, not the size of a blu case.

Hmm... I think BB is going to be ok. The store near me is always packed... I would guess that Total Access is helping them out, but they are closing stores that don't get any revenue... We will see...

Well so much for needing that copy of deus ex from my bbv as I got it for 13.50. Sorry bbv but you took to long to drop the price. I managed to make a combo to get it cheaper used at bestbuy.

^ It's a secret, and you will know about it on a need to know basis. Right now you don't need to know and continue to shop at Blockbuster like it's going to be open another 10 years.

Every blockbuster by me in Everett, Wa is going out. I keep stopping in every few days wondering if their prices are going to drop before they close and they never do. I guess my stores are serious about closing with copies of uncharted 3 for 45 dollars, batman arkham city for 45, and used copies of fear 3 for 29.99. lol.

Just saw a Dungeon Siege 3 and Deus Ex at a closing BBV. Those may drop to 50% off tomorrow. If so, I'll probably snag them. Do either of those have a reason to be bought new as opposed to used like extra content code or online pass or the like?

Also, most of you may know this, but I didn't. Word of warning buying used BRs there: Fox and WB discs will often be a special Rental version without any extras. Look for "Rental" or "Rental Exclusive" on the box and especially the disc as some boxes may not indicate it. Bought Night at the Museum 2 and was perplexed it had no extras at all until I did a little research on the net. I've already bought several 1.50 BRs that are probably like this such as the town, book of eli, etc.

My bbv seems to have put sealed games on a shelf to sell which I've never seen them do before (they would always be behind the counter). The thing that made me lol is that they are charging 49.99 for a ps3 copy of bloodstone !

My local BBV is closing I think next week. Going to check it right before it closes, and see if they would be desperate about the prices.

One of the BBV stores that's closing around here isn't closing till March sometime now, so I'll probably take a trip up to there around the end of the month. I'll probably also check the WalMart about 5-10 miles up the road from there for any of those $5 clearance games the same day for laughs, since I know if they have any they'll probably be gone by then.:cry:

[quote name='jdawgg76']Just saw a Dungeon Siege 3 and Deus Ex at a closing BBV. Those may drop to 50% off tomorrow. If so, I'll probably snag them. Do either of those have a reason to be bought new as opposed to used like extra content code or online pass or the like?

Also, most of you may know this, but I didn't. Word of warning buying used BRs there: Fox and WB discs will often be a special Rental version without any extras. Look for "Rental" or "Rental Exclusive" on the box and especially the disc as some boxes may not indicate it. Bought Night at the Museum 2 and was perplexed it had no extras at all until I did a little research on the net. I've already bought several 1.50 BRs that are probably like this such as the town, book of eli, etc.[/QUOTE]

I think the copy of Avatar or Inception I bought is rental only with no extras. :cry:

Wow I wish I had popped in to my closing stores earlier. They already sold the Ps3 display model w/ sony tv and surround sound system for 200 bucks...MAN I wish I could have picked that up

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Wow I wish I had popped in to my closing stores earlier. They already sold the Ps3 display model w/ sony tv and surround sound system for 200 bucks...MAN I wish I could have picked that up[/QUOTE]
Lucky. Although judging by how many hours those PS3 systems and TV's are on in a day I would be leery of buying one. But for $200 that was a decent deal nonetheless. I asked the closest closing BBV if they were selling the Sharp 1080p HDtv's they have on the walls or the PS3 kiosk there and they said none of those were being sold. More than likely one of the managers or employees was grabbing those.:bomb:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Lucky. Although judging by how many hours those PS3 systems and TV's are on in a day I would be leery of buying one. But for $200 that was a decent deal nonetheless. I asked the closest closing BBV if they were selling the Sharp 1080p HDtv's they have on the walls or the PS3 kiosk there and they said none of those were being sold. More than likely one of the managers or employees was grabbing those.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

All the stores I asked around said more or less they are getting back to Sony and are not for sale.

bread's done
Back