The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my local Blockbuster's is closing in March, so I stopped in to see where they were at. Blurays were "as low as" $6.99 and dvds were also $6.99. I wonder why they are pushing the dvds for the same cost as blus? Games were at 30% right now. They still have some pretty good stuff, but for more than I wanted to spend. I did pick up Rise of Nightmares for $27.99, which while not an amazing deal, is still less than I have seen it anywhere else right now. Was in pretty good condition with case and manual intact. I will swing by within the next couple of weeks to see if I can find better deals on anything else when the prices go down some more.

I have a question.

I know that with the Combo Pass comes an online subscription for 1 game out at a time. I canceled my combo pass last week because there aren't any games really worth renting anymore. I still have the online subscription though. They don't have my credit card info so I don't see how they can charge me. Will the online subscription eventually cancel itself or will I keep it free?

I feel like just canceling out of goodwill lol

[quote name='Envel']I have a question.

I know that with the Combo Pass comes an online subscription for 1 game out at a time. I canceled my combo pass last week because there aren't any games really worth renting anymore. I still have the online subscription though. They don't have my credit card info so I don't see how they can charge me. Will the online subscription eventually cancel itself or will I keep it free?

I feel like just canceling out of goodwill lol[/QUOTE]
Same here, it's been free since December (I think) when I cancelled it. It's movie and game, doesn't matter, but I've been using it for games as it makes more sense (1 a month). Not all that great considering the wait time of newer games, but for free, I'm not going to complain :lol:

[quote name='kouleefoh']Same here, it's been free since December (I think) when I cancelled it. It's movie and game, doesn't matter, but I've been using it for games as it makes more sense (1 a month). Not all that great considering the wait time of newer games, but for free, I'm not going to complain :lol:[/QUOTE]
You're right! I had forgotten that it was also for movies. Thank you!

Now, anyone care to let us know if we will get bitten in the :booty:?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Lucky. Although judging by how many hours those PS3 systems and TV's are on in a day I would be leery of buying one. But for $200 that was a decent deal nonetheless. I asked the closest closing BBV if they were selling the Sharp 1080p HDtv's they have on the walls or the PS3 kiosk there and they said none of those were being sold. More than likely one of the managers or employees was grabbing those.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

My store is transferring all these out. I actually kinda wanted the PS3, but yeah. I field this question at work every ten minutes or so. I actually went and put sold signs on all the TVs and the PS3, but our DM did not like that.

Also, Monday is the best day to go in. That's the day we've been price dropping for last two months.

Closing stores are supposed to transfer the tv out to another store so they have a back up for if/when the tv craps out for being on 14+ hrs a day 7 days a week.

No price drops this week.

[quote name='Envel']I have a question.

I feel like just canceling out of goodwill lol[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Envel']You're right! I had forgotten that it was also for movies. Thank you!

Now, anyone care to let us know if we will get bitten in the :booty:?[/QUOTE]

Heh... I never did get anything by mail (my store closed right around when I was about to do so for the first time and I thought my pass would be canceled so I didn't bother). But they keep sending me emails like I am a member. I wonder if I should try to get something? ;)

My BBV closes next week. Going there on the weekend to see if they will have desperation prices, not getting my hopes up too high since last time I was there there prices were $30+ for preowned games that you could get new at sub 30.

Has anyone gotten anything not normally on sale from closing BBV. TV, display consoles? tables? fridge? just wondering if i should bother looking for anything else that not normally thought of. and cheap of course.

[quote name='Denbo32']Has anyone gotten anything not normally on sale from closing BBV. TV, display consoles? tables? fridge? just wondering if i should bother looking for anything else that not normally thought of. and cheap of course.[/QUOTE]
Nope. Only BBV by me that's closing that I've been to had nothing I was really interested in besides the damn tv's. What I find funnier though is that one of the BBV stores that got packed and sacked overnight still has all of their shelving sitting in the store. Nothing like leaving shit behind for your landlord to either dumpster or make money from that you could've made.

Then again, Hollywood Video did the same at their closest store. There's still some metal shelves sitting in there.

Presidents day sale price drops beginning today not sure how long the sale is running.

All prices listed are for all platforms the game is available.

Batman arkham city $34.99
Battlefield 3 $34.99
Gears 3 $29.99
Red faction Armageddon $14.99
Spiderman edge of time $34.99
Xmen destiny $34.99
Transformers dark of the moon $24.99
Infamous 2 $24.99
Resistance 3 $24.99
Disneys phineas and ferb $19.99

There is also a licensed product clearance sale. Some merchandise at 50% and some at 25%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the updates! Any Bluray price drops?

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Presidents day sale price drops beginning today not sure how long the sale is running. Employee must scan a barcode to get the sale price.

All prices listed are for all platforms the game is available.

Batman arkham city $34.99
Battlefield 3 $34.99
Gears 3 $29.99
Red faction Armageddon $14.99
Spiderman edge of time $34.99
Xmen destiny $34.99
Transformers dark of the moon $24.99
Infamous 2 $24.99
Resistance 3 $24.99
Disneys phineas and ferb $19.99

There is also a licensed product clearance sale. Some merchandise at 50% and some at 25%.[/QUOTE]

Blus were at $1.99 the other day when I went in. It's crazy to see them at that price, it's just too bad the selection was pure shit. I managed to pick up the last copy of Kick-Ass despite already owning it.

Games and new Blus/DVDs were 50% off but again the selection was shit. All that's left for games is Rage and Battlefield 3.

I got fear 3 for $10 from a closing store. But it took a lot of work to get them to price check it, it was marked at $39.99. The store was almost empty and they were worried about missing any of the movie they were watching.

According to Blockbuster there is some sort of "Games Sale preview" starting today. First I had heard about anything of the sort. Probably just the price drops (since they were early)

The last BB in the area is closing. They had like no gaming stuff there. Just a basket of some PS3, Wii, and 360 games a that sucked. I did manage to get one of the drawers they used to keep all the games in for $25. The thing's 32"x21"x15" with 2 drawers. It holds all my games for all my systems with plenty of space to spare. I heard some stuff sliding around in there so I took out the drawer and found some extra bolts, some lists of accounts with missing items, and a Ben 10 Alien Force Vilgax Attack for PS2 in there.

As they get closer to when they actually close I'll see if I can get another one to stack on top of it to hold my peripherals.

The BBV by me dropped the price of BF3 to $35 and Batman: AC to $35 as well. They also dropped the price of Gears of War 3 but I forgot the price. Didn't see these prices posted here.

If BF3 didn't have an online pass I would pick it up at $35... Spider-Man: EOT's price is almost worth it... At least BBV is willing to drop the price on used game.

The BBV I got my Blockbuster card at just closed, makes me pretty sad.... Now I only have two BBV's within 30 minutes of me.

[quote name='Tsel']My BBV's last day is tomorrow. I'll stop in tonight and see if I can score some last minute deals.[/QUOTE]
The best time to stop into closing stores is usually the final day. If you can mill about during the last hour or two of the sale, then they usually make everything left in the store $1 an item. So that game you might buy for $12 tonight could be $1 tomorrow.;)

Of course, it could also disappear overnight and you'll wind up with nothing. But if you're a real cheapass like me you'll take that chance.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The best time to stop into closing stores is usually the final day. If you can mill about during the last hour or two of the sale, then they usually make everything left in the store $1 an item. So that game you might buy for $12 tonight could be $1 tomorrow.;)

Of course, it could also disappear overnight and you'll wind up with nothing. But if you're a real cheapass like me you'll take that chance.:D[/QUOTE]
Really? I always assumed that at closing time the employees would just get all the leftover stock for $1 or something.

Not sure when my store's last day is. I'll have to stop by tomorrow though just to see because it has to be close (I don't think it closed last week). So far though there hasn't been anything good at all. They've been holding off on dropping the games and most of the good movies went really quick at higher prices. The only thing I was keeping my eye one was the original Star Wars trilogy new, last time I checked it was still $39.

[quote name='TooPoor']Really? I always assumed that at closing time the employees would just get all the leftover stock for $1 or something.[/QUOTE]
No. At least that's never happened around here.

Some of the closed Hollywood Video/Blockbuster stores around here still have some of their shelves and other items in them still and in some cases that's YEARS after they closed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The best time to stop into closing stores is usually the final day. If you can mill about during the last hour or two of the sale, then they usually make everything left in the store $1 an item. So that game you might buy for $12 tonight could be $1 tomorrow.;)

Of course, it could also disappear overnight and you'll wind up with nothing. But if you're a real cheapass like me you'll take that chance.:D[/QUOTE]

Damn! I'm definitely doing that if any store around me closes for good.

That's what I did at the HWV stores on their last day. I was there at closing and I did grab some stuff. But be forewarned that about the only movies that'll be left by then are likely ones that were straight to video releases starring people you've never frickin' heard of.

So unless you wanna see movies with Jean Claude Van Damme's fourth cousin twice removed on his sister's side of the family, you may wanna grab some stuff BEFORE the final day.:booty:

Oh dear god it was pitiful. Not a single video game in sight, about 100 B-movie DVDs, bottled water, and about 4 Blu-rays.

Such a sad sight. :cry:

My local BB in Heath Ohio is closing as well. Its a joke. There games are at $40% and there aren't any good deals. They have a copy of White Knight Chronicles for $15 but its missing the case. I won't buy their used blu rays til they hit a $1 or $2 cuz I hate their generic Blu ray cases. I did get myself a decent Christopher Walken movie though (The Maiden Heist)

The BBV across the street closed today. At around noon prices were the same as Monday when new DVDs/BRs dropped to 70% off. Used DVDs/BRs were still 1.99 as they had been the last two weeks and used/new games were still 50% off as they had been for two weeks. Hope that helps anyone waiting on a store to close.

Hit my closing BBV in Blue Springs, MO for the first time yesterday. They started their liquidation on February 1st, so it's been nearly a full month.

What a ****ing joke, lol.

Games were a measly 20% off. They still had a decent selection on the wall, but I had seen - and I'm not exaggerating - every.single.game (~100 unique titles) for less somewhere else in the last three months. Killzone 3 for thirty five bucks?! HA! Especially consiering most games are likely scratched to hell and the boxes were in awful condition.

Only thing that caught my eye was Kirby Mass Attack for $16; but it was missing the Club Nintendo code, and that pushed me over the edge and I put the game back on the shelf.

24 packs of 20oz sodas for $27.
Nasty-ass shelving and displays I could build for $10... for $250.
Most old Blu Rays were still $10. Newer ones were $15 or more - used.
Boxed candy was being "liquidated" for $1.40 - when it's $1 at Walmart down the street.

Lol; such a fail. Anyhoo, thanks for the tips guys. I'll try my luck on the last day, whenever that is. But until then, I don't plan to stop in the store ever again.

Such a shame. I still remember it like it was yesterday going to pre-order and then get the midnight release of Halo 2, my PSP Value Pack, MGS3, Project Snowblind, and so many more. :(

[quote name='mattcube64']Hit my closing BBV in Blue Springs, MO for the first time yesterday. They started their liquidation on February 1st, so it's been nearly a full month.

Games were a measly 20% off. They still had a decent selection on the wall, but I had seen - and I'm not exaggerating - every.single.game (~100 unique titles) for less somewhere else in the last three months. Killzone 3 for thirty five bucks?! HA! Especially consiering most games are likely scratched to hell and the boxes were in awful condition.

Only thing that caught my eye was Kirby Mass Attack for $16; but it was missing the Club Nintendo code, and that pushed me over the edge and I put the game back on the shelf.

Boxed candy was being "liquidated" for $1.40 - when it's $1 at Walmart down the street.

Lol; such a fail. Anyhoo, thanks for the tips guys. I'll try my luck on the last day, whenever that is. But until then, I don't plan to stop in the store ever again.

Such a shame. I still remember it like it was yesterday going to pre-order and then get the midnight release of Halo 2, my PSP Value Pack, MGS3, Project Snowblind, and so many more. :([/QUOTE]

pretty much all this with mine as well. $39.99 for a used copy of Hunted? Yea, no thanks..

[quote name='mattcube64']Hit my closing BBV in Blue Springs, MO for the first time yesterday. They started their liquidation on February 1st, so it's been nearly a full month.

Such a shame. I still remember it like it was yesterday going to pre-order and then get the midnight release of Halo 2, my PSP Value Pack, MGS3, Project Snowblind, and so many more. :([/QUOTE]

Store in Independence (near 23rd and Lee's Summit) is entering it's final month, closing on March 25th.

All they had for games was 2 copies of Infamous 2, 1 Resistance 3, 1 Disney Universe, and I think that was about it. Only marked off 40% so prices were still $35 or higher.

Blu-rays and some DVDs were down to 4.99 each, and other DVD's were 1.99. Clerk said prices would drop again today (and every Monday up until closing).

I really liked this store too... shame it's one that is closing. (Always seemed busy)

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Store in Independence (near 23rd and Lee's Summit) is entering it's final month, closing on March 25th.

All they had for games was 2 copies of Infamous 2, 1 Resistance 3, 1 Disney Universe, and I think that was about it. Only marked off 40% so prices were still $35 or higher.

Blu-rays and some DVDs were down to 4.99 each, and other DVD's were 1.99. Clerk said prices would drop again today (and every Monday up until closing).

I really liked this store too... shame it's one that is closing. (Always seemed busy)[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I forgot that store was closing. Real shame. Thanks for the update!

My friend works at the store that is staying open in Blue Springs. For those not around here; for as long as I can remember, there have been two large and very busy BBV stores; one on one side of I-70, and the other on the other side of I-70. The freeway really does a surprisingly good job of splitting the town 50/50. Anyhoo, my friend says their store has literally doubled in business since the other store started liquidating. Unfortunately, most every shift they only have two people working, and they were already way understaffed before the liquidation. Now they're not allowing any more hours to be given for extra help, and so he says he expects most of the employees will quit in the next few weeks. On nights when they close at 11pm, he used to get out between 11:10 and 11:30. Every night since the "merger", he's gotten out at 12:45-ish - nearly two hours after they close.

I don't know if anyone posted this info yet or if it's YMMV but I wanted to share.
There is no benefit for waiting until the last day.

@ 2 Closing Stores
New/Used Games
9 days left = 50%
1 day left = still 50%

Used DVD with case
9 days left = $1.99
1 day left = $0.99

Used Blurays with case
9 days left = $1.99
1 day left = $1.99

I just realized my BBV had ZERO mention of any sort of free trial for Blockbuster Online. I was hoping to get 3 months or at least 2. Guess not.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Store in Independence (near 23rd and Lee's Summit) is entering it's final month, closing on March 25th.

I really liked this store too... shame it's one that is closing. (Always seemed busy)[/QUOTE]

Anyone that works at blockbuster have any clue why the northland KC stores aren't closing? The one north of 152 on N. Oak is closing. Every other northland store is still open and not in danger of closing apparently. The Kansas side of KC literally has about 3 stores still around at this point. The Northland of Missouri has 5 stores alone (64th, Barry, Choetau, Liberty and N. Oak South of 152). I will say that the Northland is the booming area of KC and Johnson County is overpriced and god knows how you could sell a house in that area. Maybe that answers my question.

[quote name='Readthepost']I don't know if anyone posted this info yet or if it's YMMV but I wanted to share.
There is no benefit for waiting until the last day.

@ 2 Closing Stores
New/Used Games
9 days left = 50%
1 day left = still 50%

Used DVD with case
9 days left = $1.99
1 day left = $0.99

Used Blurays with case
9 days left = $1.99
1 day left = $1.99[/QUOTE]
It must be either a different liquidation company running the closing sales than the one that ran the Circuit City and Hollywood Video ones then. Although I remember someone(Hawaiiboy perhaps) mentioning that it was Dish/Blockbuster themselves running the closings at one point. So maybe that's it?

A little off topic, but I figured you guys would know best. Does blockbuster resurface games for the public? I've asked before but couldn't get a straight answer. Thanks!

[quote name='Woot1337']A little off topic, but I figured you guys would know best. Does blockbuster resurface games for the public? I've asked before but couldn't get a straight answer. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Or you could just swap your copy for one of theirs - unethical? Yes. Do big corporations care about you? No. Do they care about your money? Yes. fuck'em.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It must be either a different liquidation company running the closing sales than the one that ran the Circuit City and Hollywood Video ones then. Although I remember someone(Hawaiiboy perhaps) mentioning that it was Dish/Blockbuster themselves running the closings at one point. So maybe that's it?[/QUOTE]

Couldn't it also just be that in the case of HV and CC, the entire chains were closing, so they had to get rid of all stock no matter what, versus this case where BBV still has open locations to send excess stock to?

I'm thinking that's why you won't see the same extreme last minute desperation sales at individual BBV store closings that CC and HV seemingly practiced chain-wide...

bread's done
Back