The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slppedyoursster']Or you could just swap your copy for one of theirs - unethical? Yes. Do big corporations care about you? No. Do they care about your money? Yes. fuck'em.[/QUOTE]

But when you do that you dont fuck the corporation you fuck the next guy that gets that game.

[quote name='kanamit']But when you do that you dont fuck the corporation you fuck the next guy that gets that game.[/QUOTE]

Who cares? There are SO MANY people on this site that fuck things up for others so who gives a shit (Brink, RadioShack TIVS, and a whole lot more)? And don't even start with, "I bet it was someone from slickdeals."

I went to my local Blockbuster (83rd Ave/Deer Valley) and they had a sign that they were closing at 4pm today to start the liquidation process tomorrow. It's a bummer but I can't say I didn't expect it. I ended up becoming pretty friendly with the manager at that store and I feel bad for her. I probably won't even bother with the closeout until the very end if there is anything good left. Through all of the closings they've had I've never seen anything I even thought twice about grabbing.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Who cares? There are SO MANY people on this site that fuck things up for others so who gives a shit (Brink, RadioShack TIVS, and a whole lot more)? And don't even start with, "I bet it was someone from slickdeals."[/QUOTE]
Pssst. I bet it was someone from SlickDeals.;):booty::razz:

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']I went to my local Blockbuster (83rd Ave/Deer Valley) and they had a sign that they were closing at 4pm today to start the liquidation process tomorrow. It's a bummer but I can't say I didn't expect it. I ended up becoming pretty friendly with the manager at that store and I feel bad for her. I probably won't even bother with the closeout until the very end if there is anything good left. Through all of the closings they've had I've never seen anything I even thought twice about grabbing.[/QUOTE]

Been up there a few times, always seemed to have a better selection then the other BBV's that were nearby. At this point I'm just hoping my nearest BBV at 3rd St & Bell Rd doesn't close up shop.

^ As I said to my wife today, it's only a matter of time before all of the BBV's close up. Dish never wanted anything to do with B&M video outlets, and these closures are showing that. A year from now we'll be remembering the good old days of the B1G1's and other deals that are gone forever.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Who cares? There are SO MANY people on this site that fuck things up for others so who gives a shit (Brink, RadioShack TIVS, and a whole lot more)? And don't even start with, "I bet it was someone from slickdeals."[/QUOTE]

I care. I wouldn't do it.

Anyone know the TIV of Arkham City for either platform?

(I know, I know, I'll stop being lazy and call myself once they open if no one happens to know off-hand...)

If anyone is in the South Florida area, the Boynton Beach store on Hypoluxo and Congress is closing at the end of March (28th I think she said). Right now, games are at 40% off still and all dvds and blurays are $3.99. They still have a ton of movies, some of which I would have gotten at that price for sure if I didn't already have them. They only have a few games, and they are WAY overpriced, even at 50% off I wouldn't touch them, which is why they have survived. I did find one bluray I didn't expect to find. I didn't see it last time I was there, so I don't know where it was hiding, but I grabbed a Horrible Bosses Totally Inappropriate Edition for only $3.99! I also grabbed 5 caseless DVDs for $7.50. Not too shabby. Does anyone know how close to the end they drop the prices on the movies to $1.99? I'd like to grab some more at that price if anything is left.

[quote name='mightymek']If anyone is in the South Florida area, the Boynton Beach store on Hypoluxo and Congress is closing at the end of March (28th I think she said). Right now, games are at 40% off still and all dvds and blurays are $3.99. They still have a ton of movies, some of which I would have gotten at that price for sure if I didn't already have them. They only have a few games, and they are WAY overpriced, even at 50% off I wouldn't touch them, which is why they have survived. I did find one bluray I didn't expect to find. I didn't see it last time I was there, so I don't know where it was hiding, but I grabbed a Horrible Bosses Totally Inappropriate Edition for only $3.99! I also grabbed 5 caseless DVDs for $7.50. Not too shabby. Does anyone know how close to the end they drop the prices on the movies to $1.99? I'd like to grab some more at that price if anything is left.[/QUOTE]

I used to shop at that store quite a bit when I lived in Florida. Too bad they're going out.

[quote name='mightymek']If anyone is in the South Florida area, the Boynton Beach store on Hypoluxo and Congress is closing at the end of March (28th I think she said). Right now, games are at 40% off still and all dvds and blurays are $3.99. They still have a ton of movies, some of which I would have gotten at that price for sure if I didn't already have them. They only have a few games, and they are WAY overpriced, even at 50% off I wouldn't touch them, which is why they have survived. I did find one bluray I didn't expect to find. I didn't see it last time I was there, so I don't know where it was hiding, but I grabbed a Horrible Bosses Totally Inappropriate Edition for only $3.99! I also grabbed 5 caseless DVDs for $7.50. Not too shabby. Does anyone know how close to the end they drop the prices on the movies to $1.99? I'd like to grab some more at that price if anything is left.[/QUOTE]

BBV closest to me (that was closing) dropped price of DVD's to $1.99 10 days before closing. Most of the new releases were gone by that point (managed to get Source Code for $1.99, best deal I got).

Thankfully I still have 2 BBV's close to me, the one closest seems to get a lot of business and the manager said that since they split rent with a Papa John's they are good through at least 2013, so at least one BBV may make it through the year...

[quote name='strait edge follower']This thread is almost dead now. We need some price drops ![/QUOTE]

The thread isn't dead because of a lack of price drops. It's dead because there's so many people on here who no longer have a Blockbuster close to them (myself included).

I think Dish is hiding the "real" numbers in terms of closings. I mean they just announced two weeks ago that it would be closing 500 stores (and made it sound like that was out of their original 1,500 when, in fact, they've been closing many stores long before this announcement). I'd find it hard to believe that they'll be 500 stores left after the "new" round of closings.

And I wouldn't be surprised if this thead is GONE by the end of the year. Simply because there won't be any stores or, if there are, they may turn into more of a DISH store promoting their wares and Blockbuster online service.

Well there is still 1 Blockbuster within 5 minutes of me and 1 more within 10 minutes, so if any more sales do pop up and they replenish their game inventory a little bit, I'll happily stop into the store again. Otherwise, not much of a reason to go in anymore.

I need to stop going to my closing Blockbuster...I'm spending way too much money. Went last night and picked up Death Race Unrated Blu new for $6, and 12 Rounds Extreme Cut Blu new for $4. The games are almost all wiped out now, except for some crap and 2 copies of Infamous 2, and 1 copy of Operation Flashpoint: Red River, both at extremely high prices even at 40% off.

I just realize my BBV near my house is closing. Games are 20% off. Not sure why people say the games at 40% are high prices, considering at 20%, most of the prices are decent. Ex: Infamous 2 is $19.99, God of War 3 is $11.99, Crysis 2 $15.99. I'm hoping it goes down further, but the store manager won't tell me when they're actually closing. She probably doesn't know it herself. Will have to keep checking.

[quote name='kouleefoh']I just realize my BBV near my house is closing. Games are 20% off. Not sure why people say the games at 40% are high prices, considering at 20%, most of the prices are decent. Ex: Infamous 2 is $19.99, God of War 3 is $11.99, Crysis 2 $15.99. I'm hoping it goes down further, but the store manager won't tell me when they're actually closing. She probably doesn't know it herself. Will have to keep checking.[/QUOTE]
That's because most times the closing stores are supposed to mark up the used games to MSRP or close and not keep them at the discounted prices they were already at.

So you definitely got lucky that your store didn't mark them up.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's because most times the closing stores are supposed to mark up the used games to MSRP or close and not keep them at the discounted prices they were already at.

So you definitely got lucky that your store didn't mark them up.;)[/QUOTE]
I'm glad that's the case. I'm going to have to come back and talk to other employees to gauge how much more time they have. I saw a few games I want and I wouldn't mind buying Bluray or DVD when they are $5 or below. What's the reported lowest price for Bluray on closing store? Right now they have most Pre-view Bluray for $9.99 and some $6.99.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops

:360:
Alice: madness $19.99
Crysis 2 $19.99
Shadows of the damned $19.99[/QUOTE]

Hi HB, I'm assuming this means at least your store is not closing for now. That's good to know. Last year I had 4 BBV stores in a 5 mile radius but now 2 have closed and the other two are closing. There still are a couple more like 10 miles away but doesn't seem likely that they'll hang around for very long.

Does anyone know of an updated online list of closing stores? The blockbuster site only updates when the stores in my area are closed for good, not in the process of closing. I'm trying to figure out which Indianapolis stores are having closing sales. Anyone?

[quote name='odd mr t']Does anyone know of an updated online list of closing stores? The blockbuster site only updates when the stores in my area are closed for good, not in the process of closing. I'm trying to figure out which Indianapolis stores are having closing sales. Anyone?[/QUOTE]

Why not just call one and ask. They should all be in the know.

I'll admit I know next to nothing about business, but why doesn't Dish Network just close them all down at the same time? They obviously don't want to invest in a B&M model anymore.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I'll admit I know next to nothing about business, but why doesn't Dish Network just close them all down at the same time? They obviously don't want to invest in a B&M model anymore.[/QUOTE]
Maybe they do want a limited presence and want to test out profitability before committing to shutting them all down. Who knows.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Maybe they do want a limited presence and want to test out profitability before committing to shutting them all down. Who knows.[/QUOTE]
I kept hearing they were going to make combination Dish/BBV stores with actual Dish reps in store(sorta like the Directv guys who pester you in Best Buy right now). But I haven't heard anything about that in a while.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I bought 22 Blu-ray movies today for $1.99 Each. Can't beat Cars 2 & African Cats for $1.99 Each ;)[/QUOTE]
That's what Im hoping to do to expand my bluray collection. I pray that the Pacific and Band of Brothers Bluray last til that point.

How long was your store started the closing discount until you saw it hit $1.99? Mine is at $6.99 right now, $9.99 yesterday.

What are people's opinions on Gamer? I've seen copies at closing stores many times, but heard bad things about it. For 2 bucks I couldn't really care less, but I don't want to get a movie that blows hard...or at least hard enough to not justify getting it for $2.

[quote name='Smart Aleck']What are people's opinions on Gamer? I've seen copies at closing stores many times, but heard bad things about it. For 2 bucks I couldn't really care less, but I don't want to get a movie that blows hard...or at least hard enough to not justify getting it for $2.[/QUOTE]

Blows hard perfectly describes my opinion about the movie. I waited so long to watch it and after all that waiting, I wish I had just flat-out skipped it. I thought it was awful.

Anyone in the Phoenix area know of any store closings where the blurays are reaching the $1.99 point?

Found Beauty and the Beast, Golden Compass, and Hancock for $1.99 when I was in Ohio a couple weeks back at a store's final closing. Hoping to find a couple around here as well.

I havent been to my local BBV in a while, Ill go in a couple hours when they open and see what they have

unless they closed since then rofl

[quote name='kouleefoh']That's what Im hoping to do to expand my bluray collection. I pray that the Pacific and Band of Brothers Bluray last til that point.

How long was your store started the closing discount until you saw it hit $1.99? Mine is at $6.99 right now, $9.99 yesterday.[/QUOTE]

1st store $1.99 for blu-ray movies and 70% for new copy (only 1 miles away). 2nd store blu-ray movies still $3.99 and 40% off new (3 miles away). Both stores will shut down on March 25th. Chance it drop down $0.99 on blu-ray is RARE !!!

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']is there any talk in this thread about good deals and sales at the non-closing blockbusters anymore? or has it completely converted to a closing bbv thread?[/QUOTE]

There are no sales right now except for the 3 for and 5 for deals... Guess they are too busy shutting down stores
and distro centers

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']is there any talk in this thread about good deals and sales at the non-closing blockbusters anymore? or has it completely converted to a closing bbv thread?[/QUOTE]
There are currently no good sale or any sale on non-closing blockbusters, hence no one talks about it. There are however, some price drops. If you were really interested, you can click one page back and search for the smiling cat picture and you'll see 3 price drops, which aren't exactly the best drops. I hope that answered your question, unless you posted that just to b*tch about it.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Gamer isn't worth 2 cents let alone $2.[/QUOTE]

Honestly....I thought it was entertaining. Dexter (whatever his real name is) played a GREAT role.

[quote name='doubledown']Honestly....I thought it was entertaining. Dexter (whatever his real name is) played a GREAT role.[/QUOTE]

I saw a couple of scenes online (Thanks YouTube!) and he seemed like he was having fun in his role. Despite all the hate, I thought the dancing scene was really entertaining. I also appreciated the video game allusions. :D

Stopped at my closing store today. Said they close this Sunday in Castle Rock, CO. Pretty barren in there from when it started in December. Everything DVD and Blu Ray is $1.99. New stuff is 70% off. Video games are 40% off (not much left just madden 09 and 10 for like $5 each, MLB the Show 12 for $20, and 2 kinect games I didn't pay much attention to since I don't have an xbox).

There are a few price drops this week which I'll post on Monday as I didnt bring the list home.

All remaining stores are now basically dish retailers. Every store has a dedicated dish sales person on the weekends (not someone actually from dish just a bbv employee who was chosen). Our "official" training consisted of doing a module on the computer and reading about a bunch of crap, and having numerous conference calls talking about the same thing.

They expect stores to sell 2 per week even though in my particular area we have no FOX or ABC and no CBS in HD. Who the hell is gonna sign up.

:lol:I was wondering when Dish was gonna start whoring out their stuff in the remaining BBV stores. I'd heard rumors that they were gonna do this, but I figured at the rate they were doing store closures they would just forget about doing it.

bread's done
Back