The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
So the "big" spring sale price drops are

:360: :ps3:
Assassins creed revelations $29.99

:wii: just dance 3 $19.99
:360: halo anniversary $24.99

[quote name='io']Apparently Sunday was the last day for my local Blockbuster. I didn't even bother going in since like the first few days of the sale. Driving by it looked pathetic - mostly empty with just a few racks in the center of the store. So very sad... I may never go to a Blockbuster store again.[/QUOTE]

One of my stores closed the same day. I went and checked it out right before it closed. I bought 14 or 15 of their previewed .99 cent blu-rays and a new copy of Watchmen Black Freighter blu-ray for $3.

It was pretty depressing seeing the empty store with workers or whoever they were taking the shelves down off the walls and loading them into the back of a wagon hitch thing on their truck. I just hope BBV keeps the good employees and give them enough hours at their remaining stores.

[quote name='io']Yeah, I still have some "in the area" but they aren't as convenient as the one that was 1/2 mile from my house. Besides Fred Meyer it was the only video game related store that was within 10 miles (GS, Target, Best Buy, etc are all at least that far for me).

I think there are still a few stores in the 10-20 mile range, though. Of course if there is an awesome B1G1 or 5 for $20 or something I will check them out. But otherwise it is sort of an "out of sight, out of mind" thing with me and BBV right now.

Wow - using the store locator it is a vast empty wasteland out there. There are only 3 stores in what I would consider my extended area. One is 9.4 miles, the second is 13.6 miles and the third is 16.7 miles and they are all in different directions. There used to be probably 20 stores within that 16 mile radius 4-5 years ago and at least 8 or 9 just a year ago.[/QUOTE]

All of the numbers you described sound like the exact same statistics in my area. At least I'm not the only one noticing the crazy loss on the store locator over the years.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']So the "big" spring sale price drops are

:360: :ps3:
Assassins creed revelations $29.99

:wii: just dance 3 $19.99
:360: halo anniversary $24.99[/QUOTE]

LOL, what an awesome sale. ;) Thanks for the info regardless of it's awesomeness. I'll definitely try to check out the 5 for $20 blu-ray sale. I bet I can scrounge 5 titles worth owning.

Have there been any blu-ray price drops down to $9.99 in the past couple months? Has the sale already started or will it start on Tuesday?

My store had used deals on Arkham City and Battlefield 3, $34.99 each.
And Gears 3 for $30. Used. Can't win them all, I guess. Blu Ray 5 for 20 was in effect, and my store was pretty well stocked, so I walked out with Guardians of Gahoole, Pirates 4, social network, and Rambos 2 and 4.

[quote name='mrwogs2']Anyone gone out to BBV today to see if the sale has started?[/QUOTE]

:???: What sale are you referring to?

Scored! Did my routine check at a closing BBV and finally saw them dropped prices to $2.99 for Bluray. I know $1.99 is the lowest but heck it's only a dollar diff. So bought some kid/family movie for my nephew. I scored a brand new bluray Band of Brothers collection for $21. I just bought The Pacific from Amazon too. Very happy about that.

Out of curiousity, are stores still offering that one pass thing where you get unlimited rentals of movies / games within a month?

I was thinking about it as I was softmodding my Wii. Might help "expand" my library.

Out of curiousity, are stores still offering that one pass thing where you get unlimited rentals of movies / games within a month?

I was thinking about it as I was softmodding my Wii. Might help "expand" my library.

Yep and it's on sale for $11.99 for the 1st month.

Price drops effective TODAY.

:ps3:
Assassins creed revelations $19.99
Batman arkham city $19.99
Battlefield 3 $24.99
COD MW3 $29.99
Infamous 2 $19.99
Red faction armageddon $9.99
Resistance 3 $19.99

:360:
Assassins Cree revelations $19.99
Battlefield 3 $24.99
COD MW3 $29.99
F.E.A.R 3 $14.99 (only on :360:)
Gears 3 $19.99
Marvel vs. capcom 3 $9.99 (only on :360:)
Rage $14.99 (only on :360:)
Red faction Armageddon $9.99
Transformers dark of the moon $14.99 (only on :360:)
Warhammer 40k space marine $14.99 (only on :360:)

:wii:
Black eyes peas experience $19.99
COD MW3 $19.99

I was at BB today renting a movie and noticed the BF3 price drop. I almost got it off Amazon a couple nights ago for $30, so I saved $5 or so. May have to go back and grab a Resistance 3 if my Best Buy doesnt have any used in stock tomorrow. Thanks for the list HB

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops effective TODAY.

:ps3:
Assassins creed revelations $19.99
Battlefield 3 $24.99
COD MW3 $29.99
Infamous 2 $19.99
Red faction armageddon $9.99
Resistance 3 $19.99

:360:
Assassins Cree revelations $19.99
Battlefield 3 $24.99
COD MW3 $29.99
F.E.A.R 3 $14.99 (only on :360:)
Gears 3 $19.99
Marvel vs. capcom 3 $9.99 (only on :360:)
Rage $14.99 (only on :360:)
Red faction Armageddon $9.99
Transformers dark of the moon $14.99 (only on :360:)
Warhammer 40k space marine $14.99 (only on :360:)

:wii:
Black eyes peas experience $19.99
COD MW3 $19.99[/QUOTE]

I might get red faction. Is there going to be a game sale soon like the ones from the fall of last year hb ?

[quote name='strait edge follower']I might get red faction. Is there going to be a game sale soon like the ones from the fall of last year hb ?[/QUOTE]

One can only hope for the greatest sale ever to come back

yeah 3 for 15, or 5 for 25 would be super hot again... ;) just lower some more of those game prices so they count... i need to finish off my credit before there are no more blockbusters left. thanx hawaiiboy always

Some decent prices in store on used games. Battlefield 3 for 25. MW3 for 30. Batman AC for 20. Resistance 3 for 20. Gears of War 3 for 20.

Edit: oops sorry, just read HB's price drop post.

[quote name='DCpinoy']Some decent prices in store on used games. Battlefield 3 for 25. MW3 for 30. Batman AC for 20. Resistance 3 for 20. Gears of War 3 for 20.[/QUOTE]
Gears 3: $12 after @Gamer coupon n Gamer's Club Unlocked @ BB
Batman: Arkham City $10 each(2x) after @Gamer coupon n GCU@BB

As for the other ones, Resistance 3 may end up cheaper than that at BB after the @Gamer coupon this month and MW3 may be decently priced if they do a one day sale on it and we can still use the $10 off $29.99 or higher coupon there.;):booty:

I figured I would post some TIV from today and earlier in the week.

White Knight Chronicles II - $22
Lord of the Rings: War in the North Xbox 360- $22 (PS3 is probably the same)
Crysis II Xbox 360 - $8

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']I figured I would post some TIV from today and earlier in the week.

White Knight Chronicles II - $22
Lord of the Rings: War in the North Xbox 360- $22 (PS3 is probably the same)
Crysis II Xbox 360 - $8[/QUOTE]

Dang, I have PS3 copies of WKC2 and LOTR WitN that I got from the GameStop B2G1. I was gonna flip them to BB but I might just trade LOTR to Blockbuster instead and hope for a game package sale soon...

Thanks for the post.

[quote name='esalw822']Dang, I have PS3 copies of WKC2 and LOTR WitN that I got from the GameStop B2G1. I was gonna flip them to BB but I might just trade LOTR to Blockbuster instead and hope for a game package sale soon...

Thanks for the post.[/QUOTE]

Would have been nice if Batman would have held for $19 at GS longer, but I did get 2 for Amazon at $24 :)

Plus these were just extra copies that were either going to be traded either way. I still have copies for playing.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Would have been nice if Batman would have held for $19 at GS longer, but I did get 2 for Amazon at $24 :)

Plus these were just extra copies that were either going to be traded either way. I still have copies for playing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just wish I would have bothered to check the BBV TIV when the B2G1 was still going on. Would have bought another set of 3 games specifically to transfer some GS credit to BBV.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Gears 3: $12 after @Gamer coupon n Gamer's Club Unlocked @ BB
Batman: Arkham City $10 each(2x) after @Gamer coupon n GCU@BB

As for the other ones, Resistance 3 may end up cheaper than that at BB after the @Gamer coupon this month and MW3 may be decently priced if they do a one day sale on it and we can still use the $10 off $29.99 or higher coupon there.;):booty:[/QUOTE]
Are you saying we can get gears 3 for $12 right now? or were you talking about when it was available for that price a few months back?

[quote name='Brother Daz']Are you saying we can get gears 3 for $12 right now? or were you talking about when it was available for that price a few months back?[/QUOTE]
That was when they had the $20 off a $29.99 or higher game coupon or whatever at BB. I know the game went on sale and it ended up pretty cheap after discounts.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That was when they had the $20 off a $29.99 or higher game coupon or whatever at BB. I know the game went on sale and it ended up pretty cheap after discounts.[/QUOTE]
Ok thats what I thought, just making sure I wasnt missing something this month.

Went to one of the last BB in Indianapolis today and discovered they are closing it now, too. I did notice everything was on the shelves for sale this time, they weren't holding back or redistributing newer games to other stores like they've done for previous closings.

That was the last one within an acceptible driving range for me. Bummer.

My best friend who has worked at BBV for about four years finally abandoned ship this week. His store is still open and operating, but he just went through a list of things that made him realize the job wasn't worth it at all.

One thing that they've started doing, is they're now required to ask every single customer if they'd like to sign up for Dish Network (or DirectTV... whoever bought them). Who the fuck wants to sign up for a year contract when renting a movie?

Anyway, he has had near perfect attendance for his entire tenure there, and take someone's call-in shift about once a week. Anyhoo, he came down with mono, and called in for about two weeks, but provided doctor's notes, his paperwork saying he went to the ER, and his prescriptions to prove he was really sick. Anyway, they've punished him by cutting his hours in half for the four weeks since returning. He finally said "fuck you" and found a much better job doing something he enjoys much more.

AAnnnnnnyway, that's my story. Don't know why I'm sharing except for the fact there's nothing else to talk about in this thread ;p

[quote name='mattcube64']My best friend who has worked at BBV for about four years finally abandoned ship this week. His store is still open and operating, but he just went through a list of things that made him realize the job wasn't worth it at all.

One thing that they've started doing, is they're now required to ask every single customer if they'd like to sign up for Dish Network (or DirectTV... whoever bought them). Who the fuck wants to sign up for a year contract when renting a movie?

Anyway, he has had near perfect attendance for his entire tenure there, and take someone's call-in shift about once a week. Anyhoo, he came down with mono, and called in for about two weeks, but provided doctor's notes, his paperwork saying he went to the ER, and his prescriptions to prove he was really sick. Anyway, they've punished him by cutting his hours in half for the four weeks since returning. He finally said "fuck you" and found a much better job doing something he enjoys much more.

AAnnnnnnyway, that's my story. Don't know why I'm sharing except for the fact there's nothing else to talk about in this thread ;p[/QUOTE]

Lawsuit?

Didn't think this was post worthy, but maybe someone will get a kick out of it since the thread has been lull.

My BBV had a "Manager's Sale Clearance" (so I doubt any other BBV was doing it) but it was just Xbox360 games. They had a table outside next to the entrance...but it was raining, so I think all of those cases are now water damaged.#-o I went inside and only saw literally 3 PS3 games on sale for $30+ each.

[quote name='mattcube64']My best friend who has worked at BBV for about four years finally abandoned ship this week. His store is still open and operating, but he just went through a list of things that made him realize the job wasn't worth it at all.

AAnnnnnnyway, that's my story. Don't know why I'm sharing except for the fact there's nothing else to talk about in this thread ;p[/QUOTE]

For some reason I'm curious...what's the new job?

I'm still here I just never check this thread unless there is something new to report.
Price drops effective mon 4/30

Uncharted 3 $29.99
Need for speed the run both :360: :ps3: $19.99

Also most stores should've gotten a pretty big shipment of refurbished games. We got about 50-75 :ps3: and :360: games.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']I'm still here I just never check this thread unless there is something new to report.
Price drops effective mon 4/30

Uncharted 3 $29.99
Need for speed the run both :360: :ps3: $19.99

Also most stores should've gotten a pretty big shipment of refurbished games. We got about 50-75 :ps3: and :360: games.[/QUOTE]

Are these the clear case games that they price low? I can't even remember what those things were called at this point

Are these the clear case games that they price low? I can't even remember what those things were called at this point

No they're not the prepacks that we used to get in. They just resurfaced them (not very well) and sent them to stores with the regular cover art.

Just found out today my store is closing. It was fun while it lasted.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']No they're not the prepacks that we used to get in. They just resurfaced them (not very well) and sent them to stores with the regular cover art.

Just found out today my store is closing. It was fun while it lasted.[/QUOTE]

Im sorry to hear that :whistle2:(
You were a great contribution to this thread and kept all of cag's informed on all that blockbuster had in sales whether it be games or blu rays. I hope that you are sent to another store or be able to get another job. I am sure you will be able to land a job with better pay :) keep your head up sir!!
THINK POSITIVE

[quote name='hawaiiboy']
Just found out today my store is closing. It was fun while it lasted.[/QUOTE]

Very sorry to hear it, HB. Thanks for all your contributions here. Best of luck to you, I hope the grass is indeed greener on the other side for you!

I don't post in here because I don't have a BB anywhere near me, but I just wanted to pop in and say thanks to HB for all his contributions and good luck in the future.

It's easy to forget while posting and interacting on the internet that there are real people behind the words we're reading, but every so often we're reminded of that fact. Thank you for all your hard work Hawaiiboy. I hope you find new employment soon. If that means we'll see a "Gamestop" thread pop up, as long as you're authoring it, I'll be sure to check it out from time to time.

bread's done
Back