The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Try not to laugh at how stupid this company is. Just received an email stating that there is no game sale for the holiday weekend now. If a customer asks about it honor the 3 for $20 or 2 for $20 but do not advertise it.

No price drops this week.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Try not to laugh at how stupid this company is. Just received an email stating that there is no game sale for the holiday weekend now. If a customer asks about it honor the 3 for $20 or 2 for $20 but do not advertise it.

No price drops this week.[/QUOTE]
:rofl: Can it be? Dish Network is more inept at running Blockbuster than Blockbuster was at running their own company.:lol:

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Try not to laugh at how stupid this company is. Just received an email stating that there is no game sale for the holiday weekend now. If a customer asks about it honor the 3 for $20 or 2 for $20 but do not advertise it.

Hawaiiboy, does the email you received from corporate say anything about the 3 for $20 having to be at a specific price (i.e. 14.99 and under)? Do the cashiers just punch in something manually?

If so, it would be a big YMMV but maybe we could get games above $14.99. I don't think I have the gusto to try it (runs off to the corner of the room and waits to hear if it works for someone else).

Going thru some of the 200+ boxes of junk we got in I come across with a box full of games. About 30 brand new copies of fallout new Vegas. "only" 59.99 + 10% off. What a deal.

Hawaiiboy, does the email you received from corporate say anything about the 3 for $20 having to be at a specific price (i.e. 14.99 and under)? Do the cashiers just punch in something manually?

Yes $14.99 and under.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Try not to laugh at how stupid this company is. Just received an email stating that there is no game sale for the holiday weekend now. If a customer asks about it honor the 3 for $20 or 2 for $20 but do not advertise it.[/QUOTE]
Wow! I don't think the selection of games (especially ones I don't already have) are worth hassle this time around. Way to avoid my business, BBV.

My money went to the Half.com sale this weekend instead of this, heh. Hopefully BBV picks back up with some more deals around the holidays.

Again my laziness costs me nothing. Between this sale and the target kindle fire hoax, I am glad I'm just not feeling motivated to get more stuff right now that involves driving.

My friend and I went down there to check and see what they had at the Portsmouth VA store...just bad imo. LOADS of copies of Fallout 3 and NV, Homefront (which i allready own), Splinter Cell Conv, Velvet Assassin, Duke Nukem ($15.99? wtf?) Brink ($15.99 too) Crysis 2 ($20 why is this still so "pricey"?) MW3 $30 (BBV lower than gamestop? getta outta here!) Batman ArkCity $20 (damn...) Portal 2 ($30...why?) All the titles i wanted were not part of the deal or i already own it or no interest. Most of the staff was total derp on the sale and if there was more titles coming in...total waste of time and gas.

[quote name='Gosha']My money went to the [highlight]Half.com sale[/highlight] this weekend instead of this, heh. Hopefully BBV picks back up with some more deals around the holidays.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Toss']Again my laziness costs me nothing. Between this sale and the [highlight]target kindle fire hoax[/highlight], I am glad I'm just not feeling motivated to get more stuff right now that involves driving.[/QUOTE]

Wow, clearly I am way out of the loop as I have no idea what you guys are talking about here.

[quote name='io']Wow, clearly I am way out of the loop as I have no idea what you guys are talking about here.[/QUOTE]

Idk what the half.com sale was about but the kindle fire hoax was that target clearance rumor

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']Wow, clearly I am way out of the loop as I have no idea what you guys are talking about here.[/QUOTE]

The half.com sale is really amazing. Type FREESHIP for free shipping,but it can only be used once per account (I made a few more accounts for my "parents" :whistle2:\"). I really became El Hoardo, but I'm sure some of these orders will get cancelled just by the law of averages. I added up what I bought and I ended up with 13 game guides, 10 old school genesis, dreamcast, super nintendo games, 19 DVDs, 20 HDDVDs, 10 books, and 2 blu-rays all for a little less than $100. It would have been cheaper but the blurays were $9 and $10. Everything else was less than $3 shipped (mostly .75 cents).

I bought a lot of stuff from the same sellers so that shipping would be a lot less for each additional item, thus getting more out of the $25 "FREESHIP" promotion. If your order ends up with leftover shipping money available, switch some of your items to expedited shipping to make the most of the promotion.

I guess I should be thankful the BBV sale was kind of a dud because I am already gonna be broke being El Hoardo sitting at my computer. :roll: I should be selling my stuff instead of buying more stuff. But there's no way in hell I'm driving to the post office to make like .75 cents on each item. I wonder how people can sell stuff so cheap.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's sad to me how inactive this thread has become.:cry:[/QUOTE]

that's what happens when things die. When you here someone or something is dying you feel sad and want information......tgen as the thing or person slowly dies and suffers you kinda wish it would just be over with already. :p

Oh good lord. That explains why there was no signage at the store and why everyone didn't know anything-- (played dumb?)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's sad to me how inactive this thread has become.:cry:[/QUOTE]

I haven't set foot in my Blockbuster since the last sale, and when I found out what was actually being offered I kept that streak alive this past weekend. Maybe if I catch wind of another % off framed art I'll pop back in, but otherwise there's zero reason to go there or talk about going there.

Even if you find a deal on used games, my experience (and I've bought a lot in past sales) is that the games are scratched to hell and rarely come with a manual if you're lucky enough to find one in decent shape with cover art.

I don't even know how much they charge to rent a movie these days, but the last place I think about streaming or renting from is Blockbuster anymore.

Not exactly sure what Dish Network was hoping to do with this chain or what their plan is...did they really think branding Blockbuster on vending machines was going to bring in more business against Redbox than putting Dish Network logos on them?

I do in a way feel like I've "used" Blockbuster over the last 4-5 years because I never buy or rent anything in the store unless it's dirt cheap. I remember grabbing 40 or so of those 99-cent blu-rays last year and $3 framed artwork during a separate sale, and of course the videogame sales. But it looks like those days are in the past now....as are Blockbuster's.

The way things are going, there won't be a Blockbuster thread to post in. But as long as my last BBV is still around, I still got a combo pass to use.

anyone recall how much modern warfare 3 is now used? I have been trying to call and one close store keeps telling me there busy to come in to check the price..... no lol

[quote name='Derrick1979']anyone recall how much modern warfare 3 is now used? I have been trying to call and one close store keeps telling me there busy to come in to check the price..... no lol[/QUOTE]

Busy looking at an empty store huh

[quote name='Derrick1979']anyone recall how much modern warfare 3 is now used? I have been trying to call and one close store keeps telling me there busy to come in to check the price..... no lol[/QUOTE]

Just use Google Product search. Looks like the PS3 version at least is coming up 29.99 used for me.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']:ps3: and :360: are $29.99[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hawaii boy Im assuming no offense to you but at the store I called they just want me in there to pitch offers...

Any price drops on previewed blurays yet ($9.99)? The last ones I bought were cars 2, crazy stupid love, green lantern, and horrible bosses, but those were ones BBV had to go out and buy from retailers to have rental copies.

No price drops yet as there hasn't been one in eons. Bbv is moving their headquarters to CO so everything is all screwed up right now. Peoples online stuff are not being sent out in a timely manner, stores arent getting the info they should be. What a mess.

Whatever stores are left are undergoing major changes as they are all set up with dish in the store, broadband service is finally being installed and iPads are being set up to somehow go along with dish. Not sure how they tie in together but u should see them in stores soon. They have also opened some new smaller stores in Texas from what I hear and many more are on the way supposedly. Looks like they want to close most if not all existing stores as I also heard that 300-350 more stores are in the process of closing.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']No price drops yet as there hasn't been one in eons. Bbv is moving their headquarters to CO so everything is all screwed up right now. Peoples online stuff are not being sent out in a timely manner, stores arent getting the info they should be. What a mess.[/QUOTE]

Thanks HB! I'm assuming this is why my next movie hasnt been sent or even why the last one I turned in hadn't been acknowledged in over a week now.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Looks like they want to close most if not all existing stores as I also heard that 300-350 more stores are in the process of closing.[/QUOTE]
noooooooo.jpg

:cry:

Me either. My closest one just had a Dish Network truck out in front of it last week the one day. Hopefully that means that they're converting that one to include the DN area, but that it won't completely take over the store.

When the front of the store says that rental's going to stop on a certain day and the dvds are going to go to an outlet center, that means the store is closing out right?

[quote name='btown201']When the front of the store says that rental's going to stop on a certain day and the dvds are going to go to an outlet center, that means the store is closing out right?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your store is closing. But I don't know...with the management decisions that have been made during the last year, anything is possible. :roll:

Man, it's like being aboard the Titanic in here, lol. Sadly, I haven't been to a BBV in almost two years now. There aren't any at all within an hour of Nashvillle. It's just crazy thinking back to the "glory days". I didn't get in on the gravy train as early as others, but I remember my first time just completely raping their trade in system fondly. It was one of the "Trade 2 Games Get Any Game for $9.99" promo. What was even more ridiculous was you got the value of games as credit on top of the promotion. That allowed me to pick up RE4 on the Gamecube for free by giving them two crappy sports games (I think I actually had credit left over too), lol.

Oh, BBV. You did this to yourself. I would feel a little bad about it if you hadn't spent the entire time actively trying to make a profit off of me. I was just too smart for you. Even 2-3 summers ago before they killed off the trade in program, it was hilarious to get $30+ for games that GameStop had marked down to $12.99. I know it's nothing compared to some in here, but at one point, I had built up a credit of over $200, and every time I used it, the cashiers' eyes would pop out of their head, hahaha. Man, those were the days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj-1b1Yvep8

The only time I was in a Blockbuster this year (or even in a year) was for the Memorial Day "sale" debacle. Didn't buy anything and the selection was crap anyway.

I'm about to take two rentals from the online program in to swap out for something, since it beats waiting for stuff to get here in the mail. I'd like to swap them out for games, but my store only allows $.99 games to be swapped out.
And there aren't any of those there. I did see Dead or Alive 4 for $.99. But I own that.

Agreed with the online problems.

Last night I had a movie that did not play. When I reported it online, it said my account had been flagged for excessive use of reporting a problem. (Not my fault your BD's kept coming to me as cracked...) Whatever... the value to me is the in store exchange...

Last week I returned one in store, and the old one had never cleared the Online queue.

My store has like 2 years left on its lease and it's a value-priced lease at that. They just received a ton of more stuff (presumably from our distro center that closed) and are in the process of re-arranging with new signs and store layout... can't imagine them wanting to close this store atm.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']The only time I was in a Blockbuster this year (or even in a year) was for the Memorial Day "sale" debacle. Didn't buy anything and the selection was crap anyway.[/QUOTE]
I was in about a day before that sale started. I then called back a lil later and asked the manager working if she knew what the terms of it were gonna be yet. Once I found out the new terms from here on CAG I didn't even bother stopping in for the sale and haven't been back yet. A 3/$15 woulda been decent or a higher priced sale with stuff above $15 being allowed woulda got me intrigued enough to stop back. But a standard BOGO or whatever the f it turned out to be that time was annoying compared to that last glorious sale they had.:drool:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was in about a day before that sale started. I then called back a lil later and asked the manager working if she knew what the terms of it were gonna be yet. Once I found out the new terms from here on CAG I didn't even bother stopping in for the sale and haven't been back yet. A 3/$15 woulda been decent or a higher priced sale with stuff above $15 being allowed woulda got me intrigued enough to stop back. But a standard BOGO or whatever the f it turned out to be that time was annoying compared to that last glorious sale they had.:drool:[/QUOTE]

Come on now they can't always give the store away :lol:

My store had Spec Ops The Line for rent but all copies were checked out. Was gonna try Game of Thrones but got Amazing Spiderman instead.

They closed the one that was less than a mile from us a couple of months ago. We had been pretty regular customers to that store the past year after moving here. Now the next closest store is about 4 miles away and we've only been there once since our old store closed. The only reason I went that one time was because my daughter wanted to rent a movie and we learned quickly that it wasn't even worth going all the way to Blockbuster to do so.

In the time that our closest Blockbuster closed down we added Hulu+, Netflix online and started to use Redbox. We have plenty of entertainment available comparable to what we received from Blockbuster and now far more convenient.

It made me laugh when they were pushing for the monthly subscription at Blockbuster this last time. I said, "we've only been in here once the past couple of months, I don't see that changing!"

Just got an email with four coupons.

One being one free month of game and movie rentals. It's says "blue ticket". Have no idea what this is. Can someone give me the pros and cons for this please?

bread's done
Back