The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue Ticket is their new scheme program that combines what was the combo pass and Rewards program. I think it's $15. It includes:

- Unlimited in-store game and movie (dvd or bd) rentals, one at a time. Not one of each at a time, just one.

- The online rental service (which is awful), one at a time. Keep in mind availability of anything online is worse than in store and online doesn't carry new games until they've been out 3 1/2 months. Even then you'll be waiting a long time for things. Or get broken and unplayable discs. Or the correct sleeve with the wrong disc inside.

- Rent and pay for one movie rental, get one free.

Cons: It's Blockbuster. They only get six copies each of a movie like John Carter or Project X, but they have three copies of American Battleship. If the first two movies are good or not I don't know because I haven't seen them yet. But people want to see them either way.

If it's free, you have a store close enough, and feel up to it you may want to try it.

[quote name='howard']Blue Ticket is their new scheme program that combines what was the combo pass and Rewards program. I think it's $15. It includes:

- Unlimited in-store game and movie (dvd or bd) rentals, one at a time. Not one of each at a time, just one.

- The online rental service (which is awful), one at a time. Keep in mind availability of anything online is worse than in store and online doesn't carry new games until they've been out 3 1/2 months. Even then you'll be waiting a long time for things. Or get broken and unplayable discs. Or the correct sleeve with the wrong disc inside.

- Rent and pay for one movie rental, get one free.

Cons: It's Blockbuster. They only get six copies each of a movie like John Carter or Project X, but they have three copies of American Battleship. If the first two movies are good or not I don't know because I haven't seen them yet. But people want to see them either way.

If it's free, you have a store close enough, and feel up to it you may want to try it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Was wondering if anybody knows why blockbuster doesn't get new games the day of release? They clearly advertise it in-store and try to get you to pre order the game. I got the game pass and the last month or so i went in to pick up newly released game only to be disappointed every time now. I always get the same excuse about UPS guy but the funny thing is he must go missing for a week are so cause thats about how long it takes for the games to show up on shelves. Is anybody else having problems renting games on release date too?

[quote name='chicho13_420']Was wondering if anybody knows why blockbuster doesn't get new games the day of release? They clearly advertise it in-store and try to get you to pre order the game. I got the game pass and the last month or so i went in to pick up newly released game only to be disappointed every time now. I always get the same excuse about UPS guy but the funny thing is he must go missing for a week are so cause thats about how long it takes for the games to show up on shelves. Is anybody else having problems renting games on release date too?[/QUOTE]

I dunno - I had that problemn 1-2 years ago with them. I see you are in OR. We have so few stores left now and I've heard the rest may be going away soon. I haven't been in a BBV in 2 or 3 months now. So sad...

Relying on your instore pass to play new games is just as disappointment waiting to happen. Even when they show up they only get 1/2 copies and due to the fact they don't pay UPS for priority delivery (front of delivery route), the delivery time is entirely random and thus unlikely you will be 1st in line to rent the game, which will then be held for a minimum of 1 week (unless its garbage). Go GameFly for games.

Aww i was hoping someone actually posted some deals on here, i still have a Blockbuster in my area. I hope there used games go down in price soon, would pick up Batman AC for less than 19.99 if it ever happens

[quote name='chicho13_420']Was wondering if anybody knows why blockbuster doesn't get new games the day of release? They clearly advertise it in-store and try to get you to pre order the game. I got the game pass and the last month or so i went in to pick up newly released game only to be disappointed every time now. I always get the same excuse about UPS guy but the funny thing is he must go missing for a week are so cause thats about how long it takes for the games to show up on shelves. Is anybody else having problems renting games on release date too?[/QUOTE]

Could be YMMV too. I was able to rent Dragon's Dogma day one.

[quote name='TheHelix']Could be YMMV too. I was able to rent Dragon's Dogma day one.[/QUOTE]
99% of the time my store has new releases at 10am when they open. I love my unlimited pass!

A heads up (probably YMMV): My store had these giant Super Mario Galaxy 2 Mario action figures clearances down to $9 today. Looking around my living room right now, the Mario was about the size of my Skyrim dragon.

It looke like the other sticker on the box was an older clearance sticker and said $17.XX.
Not sure how much they normally cost or are worth, but they looked like they were of good quality and worth at least $9.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']A heads up (probably YMMV): My store had these giant Super Mario Galaxy 2 Mario action figures clearances down to $9 today. Looking around my living room right now, the Mario was about the size of my Skyrim dragon.

It looke like the other sticker on the box was an older clearance sticker and said $17.XX.
Not sure how much they normally cost or are worth, but they looked like they were of good quality and worth at least $9.[/QUOTE]

Is it this? http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Super-Mario-Galaxy-Figure/dp/B0058Y0ZFI/

[quote name='io']I dunno - I had that problemn 1-2 years ago with them. I see you are in OR. We have so few stores left now and I've heard the rest may be going away soon. I haven't been in a BBV in 2 or 3 months now. So sad...[/QUOTE]

Ya they closed 1 only here in Salem so far but I'm sure a couple will follow here soon too.

[quote name='Brother Daz']99% of the time my store has new releases at 10am when they open. I love my unlimited pass![/QUOTE]

That's how the one I always go to was too, but the last month has been ridiculous. I was almost always able to pick up the game early morning the day of release.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']A heads up (probably YMMV): My store had these giant Super Mario Galaxy 2 Mario action figures clearances down to $9 today. Looking around my living room right now, the Mario was about the size of my Skyrim dragon.

Not sure how much they normally cost or are worth, but they looked like they were of good quality and worth at least $9.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if they're doing ANOTHER clearance of general merchandise like they did last July/August.

I'll have to dig up the list I made of the schedule for that clearance so maybe we can determine if it's following the same pattern by any chance.

If so, then the Snuggies, rock & roll keychains & bottle openers & other assorted shit I bought will have some friends soon enough.:evil:

EDIT: OK. If they were going by the clearance schedule from last years' clearance, then all of the stuff that may be clearanced now would've been RTV by now.:cry:

I really wish we still had our man on the inside(Hawaiiboy) working at a BBV store that was still open to let us know if they're eliminating more crap like this.

I been waiting for the clearance for a while now, I'm constantly checking. They got a lot of good stuff that has been sitting on the shelfs for a long time now. It would be nice to see it get discounted, cause I been eying on a few things for a minute now just not trying to pay full price.

I still can't believe how much crap I bought from there last year and the fact that the three stores I bought the bulk of the stuff from are all gone now:cry:(Syracuse, NY area).

yeah the clearance deals were awesome, getting usb's for super cheap and lbp toys and some Link/Bowser wall decal things for super cheap. what was it like 75%/90% off?

also yeah, damn i miss that 3/$15, 4$20 or whatever the games deals were. those were some awesome deals if you could find what you were looking for. especially when there was a price drop and it wouldnt be listed and you walk in like a boss at opening and go, yeah, these are on sale, and they work with the promo. let's do it. i miss those days.

(the bbv i went to had the craziest flipping scammy manager tho. more power to him, but i told you guys this and you said it also a few times, where he would buy stuff at bestbuy or walmart and then flip it all to his own bbv and make tons of money. walmart and bestbuy all over banned him, but he said he was making like $1500/month just flipping blurays and dvds etc. crazy world

[quote name='Velo214']yeah the clearance deals were awesome, getting usb's for super cheap and lbp toys and some Link/Bowser wall decal things for super cheap. what was it like 75%/90% off?

also yeah, damn i miss that 3/$15, 4$20 or whatever the games deals were. those were some awesome deals if you could find what you were looking for. especially when there was a price drop and it wouldnt be listed and you walk in like a boss at opening and go, yeah, these are on sale, and they work with the promo. let's do it. i miss those days.

(the bbv i went to had the craziest flipping scammy manager tho. more power to him, but i told you guys this and you said it also a few times, where he would buy stuff at bestbuy or walmart and then flip it all to his own bbv and make tons of money. walmart and bestbuy all over banned him, but he said he was making like $1500/month just flipping blurays and dvds etc. crazy world[/QUOTE]

How could Blockbuster be so out of touch as a trade-in destination with how to set and monitor market value on games and movies? It's almost unbelievable. Best Buy and Amazon seem to have that being monitored almost hourly now, and Gamestop changes their values daily. And without bonuses, all of them undervalue the credit they offer.

Blockbuster is/was seriously retarded in more ways than one, but that's just horrible business planning. If you don't have the staff or resources to handle that, then don't take trade-ins anymore. I can only imagine how many Kinect Adventures they have sitting in some warehouse waiting to take that $14 hit on each copy sold.

I just found a small stack of disc-only blu-rays I bought at a liquidation sale last year and forgot about. Then I come here and see people actually posting in this thread again! Unfortunately, there are no longer any BBV stores along my normal 20-mile drive between home and work. There are two or three stores not TOO far out of my way, but I have to make a special trip to get to them. No more BBV impulse buys...

[quote name='JaylisJayP']How could Blockbuster be so out of touch as a trade-in destination with how to set and monitor market value on games and movies? It's almost unbelievable. Best Buy and Amazon seem to have that being monitored almost hourly now, and Gamestop changes their values daily. And without bonuses, all of them undervalue the credit they offer.

Blockbuster is/was seriously retarded in more ways than one, but that's just horrible business planning. If you don't have the staff or resources to handle that, then don't take trade-ins anymore. I can only imagine how many Kinect Adventures they have sitting in some warehouse waiting to take that $14 hit on each copy sold.[/QUOTE]

I went to a store last week where I had traded a couple kinect adventures. They were still sitting on the shelf marked $34.99. I guess that's only like $34 higher than the Gamestop price. I feel kind of bad, but at the same time I wonder if they have any other games like "Kinect Adventures" or "Cranium Bukkake" with insanely high TIV.

This might be ymmv because the signs said "Manager's sale," but they had $9.99 previously viewed blurays as 4 for $20. They also had $12.99 and $16.99 previously viewed blu-rays as 2 for $20.

All of the $9.99 blu-rays were titles that have been $9.99 for a year or more. I already have all the ones I want. Some of the 2 for $20 blu-rays were stuff like Captain America and Fright Night (remake).

Of course there was no "Manager's" special sale on videogames. I walked out not buying anything. I also walked out not renting anything because I don't want to drive 18 miles round trip to return a fucking rental.

That's precisely what I said to my wife a week or two about renting something and considering all of our options.

1) I could go to Blockbuster and spend $2-3 on the rental (I forget), but I'd have to travel nearly 20 miles round trip. Factor in a gallon of gas and that is a $5 rental.

2) I could go to Redbox, less than 1 mile away, $1 rental plus minimal cost of gas if we are already passing by.

3) I could stream online for anywhere from $3-6, typically using "cheap credit" which is basically free.

Blockbuster has done nothing to encourage me to be a customer since they closed most of their stores and just have them about every 10 miles plus apart now. This is not a negative post on Blockbuster, just a simple analysis as a consumer based on their current model.

Wow old school goodness I made sooo much money off this thread through the years trading thrash for consoles etc. Sadly only 1 Blockbuster left around me within the area i'm willing to drive and check blindly. I'll swing in tomorrow and see if by chance they have any clearance Mario figures. A dragon sized Mario for $9, in totally there but not in the living room haha

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']That's precisely what I said to my wife a week or two about renting something and considering all of our options.

1) I could go to Blockbuster and spend $2-3 on the rental (I forget), but I'd have to travel nearly 20 miles round trip. Factor in a gallon of gas and that is a $5 rental.

2) I could go to Redbox, less than 1 mile away, $1 rental plus minimal cost of gas if we are already passing by.

3) I could stream online for anywhere from $3-6, typically using "cheap credit" which is basically free.

Blockbuster has done nothing to encourage me to be a customer since they closed most of their stores and just have them about every 10 miles plus apart now. This is not a negative post on Blockbuster, just a simple analysis as a consumer based on their current model.[/QUOTE]

I mapquested my nearest bbv and it's 25 miles round trip. It doesn't seem quite that bad because about half of the drive is down a road with a 50mph speed limit. It's still a pain compared to clicking the "on demand" button on my remote.

I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm too much of a cheap ass to order anything on demand anyway.

Used to have one about a mile from my house 8o(. Bad thing about that one is that a lot of people in this area promptly jump on ANYTHING labeled "sale" or "clearance" so I never had much luck with clearance sales or finding good deals (did get some decent folding headphones there last year though). Luckily I usually found some really good deals on their B1G1 sales...flipped some and played some.

There was also a really good store about 45min away that ALWAYS had a ton of nice games...found it by accident one day while driving up to check out a Target I'd never been to. Sadly that one is gone too.

Within about a 30mi radius just a few years ago I had around 5 BBV's, no zero in that same radius.

[quote name='DJP519']Not sure if this is a new thing or not, but my co-worker just found a coupon online good for one month free Blue Ticket, the in-store unlimited rental deal. Note, it does apparently require a credit card to be left on file, so if you use it, make sure you remember to cancel within 30 days.
http://www.blockbuster.com/stores
http://www.blockbuster.com/external/coupon/BT-FreeMonth-Coupon.pdf
Sorry if that's a re-post.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link! Printed it out and will be redeemed shortly.

I noticed the in-store tracking location is pretty worthless. I checked some of the recent games that are carried in my store (Spec Ops, Amazing Spiderman, Lego Batman 2) and the website said they are not carried at this location. Oh well.

I'm late to the party as I've been away from CAG for a pretty long while now and I just realized what happened to Hawaiiboy. For what it's worth, I want to say thanks for everything you did CAG community.

I went to swap out games today and the employees are really pushing the Dish subs pretty hard. There was even a sign hiring for a Dish sales rep in the store, lol

[quote name='TheHelix']I went to swap out games today and the employees are really pushing the Dish subs pretty hard. There was even a sign hiring for a Dish sales rep in the store, lol[/QUOTE]
Same at my store. Glad I'm a dish subscriber already. That shuts them up pretty quick.

I always say im either already a subscriber or i live in an apt complex that doesnt allow satellites. End of sales pitch 99% of the time right there.

I was in my sole remaining local BB last night and it was sad. They have about 40% more space than they need, and the hospice workers BB employees seemed lonely. They were about about 60, which is older than typical employees in that store.

I can't really see that place making more than a few more months. When I said I was happy with FiOS I think the lady might have started crying.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Same at my store. Glad I'm a dish subscriber already. That shuts them up pretty quick.[/QUOTE]

lol I say that to other salesmen to shut them up

Hey Daz I tried the my landlord won't allow dishes card but I guess dishes are only banned if you have a patio area or something. The manager tried to get me a letter from the FCC or something so it's like man I don't wanna go through this again. I'll just be blunt next time and say I don't want Dish. All that trouble just to swap out movies and games.

[quote name='gabolous']Went in to my local BBV and man is it depressing, not even any good Blu's :([/QUOTE]

I hear ya man. At least they used to drop blu's pretty fast down to $9.99 so they would qualify for the 4 for $20 sales. They haven't dropped anything down to $9.99 in a very very very very long time. Everything is stuck at $12.99 or $16.99 for their 2 for $20 promotion.

It's ridiculous when Best Buy is having such amazing bluray deals and BBV wants $16.99 for used, opened, rental versions with no special features, no traditional bluray case, no DVD copy, and no Digital/ultraviolet copy. Last I checked, blurays like Red Riding Hood, Transformers 3, and True Grit are still stuck at $12.99 and $16.99 unless the employees at my store haven't labeled movies correctly down to $9.99.

I think it would be fun to create a CAG poll on who has seen a recent BBV price drop Vs. who has seen Kinect Adventures tagged $34.99 or higher. I think the latter would win.

One of the BBV employees was using their phone inside the store. I hope she was on break lol

Survive long enough so I can rent out Sleeping Dogs!

Attn all south Orange County (CA) CAGs, one of the last remaining Blockbusters in the area is closing. In Laguna Niguel, at Alicia and Pacific Park.
Used games are only at 20% off their retail price, so don't rush out or anything. I only looked in the PS3 section, there were a few relatively new titles, and a lot of overpriced old junk. I saw
Dragon's Dogma
Spec Ops the Line
Prototype 2
marked $50, so 40 bucks after discount. But if you wanted those games, you could've gotten them for 40 new by now.
All previously viewed Blu Rays were $7.99, I got Megamind, Real Steel, and the Three Stooges. I have boys.
And with that, I lay a wreath upon this thread and commit it to eternal slumber.

I was at a store today and they had a flyer for a Memorial Day sale. 50% off used movies and 75% off framed art. It didnt say if it stacked with the 4 for $20. No video games mentioned.

The store here in Tampa almost has more used games than games for rental right now. For some reason they converted all 3 of their copies of Skyward Sword for the Wii ( seems like something people would still rent).

[quote name='orangecrush']I was at a store today and they had a flyer for a Memorial Day sale. 50% off used movies and 75% off framed art. It didnt say if it stacked with the 4 for $20. No video games mentioned.[/QUOTE]
You mean Labor Day OC?

[quote name='orangecrush']Sure, whatever the holiday at the end of the month is called.[/QUOTE]
You mean at the beginning of the month OC?

[quote name='orangecrush']I was at a store today and they had a flyer for a Memorial Day sale. 50% off used movies and 75% off framed art. It didnt say if it stacked with the 4 for $20. No video games mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Does anyone know what day it starts? Maybe august 28th because sales at BBV usually start on Tuesdays?

bread's done
Back