The BLUE DRAGON Thread!

[quote name='jalu6']I just picked this up for 14.98 at my local Target. Looks like a lot of fun although the beginning seems a little slow. Just a quick question: I usually get guides for the harder RPGs I play, so is one recommended for this? Basically I'm asking if there are a lot of misable items you can't go back and find later, or if the game doesn't give you and direction as to what to do next, or if it ever gets frustrating.[/QUOTE]

There are most definitely missable items and monsters. You can get by with a FAQ though. There was a nice one that listed what monsters and items you should have at certain points (by their number in the Compendium) and at what point you can miss them. It was very useful for me and if it was not for the glitch I had happen I would have had both lists done on my first playthrough.

I wouldn't say it gets frustrating but you do need to know where to go/what to do in a few cases so it is good to know ahead of time.

Some of the "action" achievements are a real pain - though in every case there is a save right before so make sure you use those so you can go back and redo if necessary. I had to redo the wagon protection one about 3-4 times and the Mechat shooting ones a few times as well (I think you can't take ANY damage in those and it gets pretty challenging - I think the 2nd is easier than the 1st, but the 3rd is harder). Heck, I even had to redo the "push A real fast" one near the beginning of the game as I let a robot through just a split second before I got the door closed.

[quote name='io']There are most definitely missable items and monsters. You can get by with a FAQ though. There was a nice one that listed what monsters and items you should have at certain points (by their number in the Compendium) and at what point you can miss them. It was very useful for me and if it was not for the glitch I had happen I would have had both lists done on my first playthrough.

I wouldn't say it gets frustrating but you do need to know where to go/what to do in a few cases so it is good to know ahead of time.

Some of the "action" achievements are a real pain - though in every case there is a save right before so make sure you use those so you can go back and redo if necessary. I had to redo the wagon protection one about 3-4 times and the Mechat shooting ones a few times as well (I think you can't take ANY damage in those and it gets pretty challenging - I think the 2nd is easier than the 1st, but the 3rd is harder). Heck, I even had to redo the "push A real fast" one near the beginning of the game as I let a robot through just a split second before I got the door closed.[/QUOTE]

If memory serves, you CAN take damage in the third [EDIT, I DUMB] second Mechat stage. The requirement there is that you have to destroy EVERYTHING instead: all the guns, missile launchers, etc.

[quote name='Callandor']If memory serves, you CAN take damage in the third Mechat stage. The requirement there is that you have to destroy EVERYTHING instead: all the guns, missile launchers, etc.[/QUOTE]

Ah, OK, so maybe that is the easy one and the second one is hard. It is the one where you are flying down a tube-like thing and you have to shoot down a ton of missiles coming at you and can't get hit once.

[quote name='io']Ah, OK, so maybe that is the easy one and the second one is hard. It is the one where you are flying down a tube-like thing and you have to shoot down a ton of missiles coming at you and can't get hit once.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, that is the third one. I was thinking of the second, the optional shooting state to get into the Upper Mecha base. The third is the tunnel fight against a land shark to get to the final areas, which is a PAIN.

Reminder: Never post info about a game you finished half a year ago without the guide in front of you. :D

Well, I watched the first two episodes of the cartoon with my youngest son last weekend. He's the one who watched me play pretty much the whole game so he knows all the characters and such.

The cartoon is a bit strange because, while the characters look the same and have the same names, they are voiced differently and the plot has been changed up. There's still Nene as the bad guy, but it starts off with Zola as a shadow-master (my term for it as she is being very mysterious in the first 2 eps) with Jiro as her apprentice (!). Jiro and Shu don't much like each other and are trying to beat each other up at first. Soon they discover Shu can summon the Blue Dragon (much to his surprise) but cannot control it. As a result Nene wants to find him so they leave Shu's village (with Kluke tagging along without any powers as of yet) to keep it safe from Nene's attacks. Very strange plot mixup when you have played the game... But there's still land sharks and Szabo and Nene's robot forces and whatnot. So my son got a big kick out of it.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the reviews for this game. Haven't played it yet, but based on everything I've read, heard, and seen (trailers, gameplay videos), it looks, feels, and plays much like DQVIII (a game which I adored btw). Yet, sites that praised DQVIII for its old-school sensibilities criticize BD for the very same reasons. Boogles the mind.

[quote name='Allnatural']I'm having a hard time figuring out the reviews for this game. Haven't played it yet, but based on everything I've read, heard, and seen (trailers, gameplay videos), it looks, feels, and plays much like DQVIII (a game which I adored btw). Yet, sites that praised DQVIII for its old-school sensibilities criticize BD for the very same reasons. Boogles the mind.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I thought. But having played it I'd say for sure if you liked DQ VIII (as I did - probably my favorite PS2 game) then by all means play Blue Dragon. I would say it isn't quite as good, but then that's a tall order ;). It does have one advantage (over DQVIII and Lost Odyssey) - no random battles!

[quote name='allnatural']I'm having a hard time figuring out the reviews for this game. Haven't played it yet, but based on everything I've read, heard, and seen (trailers, gameplay videos), it looks, feels, and plays much like DQVIII (a game which I adored btw). Yet, sites that praised DQVIII for its old-school sensibilities criticize BD for the very same reasons. Boogles the mind.[/quote]

One major disadvantage in that the characters can be extremely annoying. I thought I could look past the characters and was actually enjoying the gameplay quite a bit, but I got 15 hours in and realized I didn't care about the story at all because I absolutely hated the main characters. My wife was also looking at me the whole time I was playing a game with such annoying characters. It wouldn't have bothered me if I wasn't thinking the same thing in my head.

With that being said I can easily see how reviewers could try and look past the characters and think they were being objective, but would knock other aspects of the game as a result.

If I have a hankering for a JRPG I will be trying LO or ES before I come back to this game. If I do come back to it I will be turning off the volume and listening to a custom soundtrack. I will also skip all cutscenes.

Just picked up the game last night on clearance at TRU. Got about 10 minutes into the game, and it froze. =[ Thought it might be a fluke, so I rebooted. Froze again in the same spot!

At this point I'm thinking, if it freezes in the same exact spot, there might be a problem with the disc. Sure enough, there were scuffs on there, a few of them deep-ish. Hooray for stacking discs on top of each other!

So now I have to go back to TRU today and exchange it, burning my $5 off coupon in gas money in the process. =[

Anyone else have a scratched disc problem with this game?

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Just picked up the game last night on clearance at TRU. Got about 10 minutes into the game, and it froze. =[ Thought it might be a fluke, so I rebooted. Froze again in the same spot!

At this point I'm thinking, if it freezes in the same exact spot, there might be a problem with the disc. Sure enough, there were scuffs on there, a few of them deep-ish. Hooray for stacking discs on top of each other!

So now I have to go back to TRU today and exchange it, burning my $5 off coupon in gas money in the process. =[

Anyone else have a scratched disc problem with this game?[/quote]

Nope game worked flawlessly for me. Maybe TRU repackaged a return or something =/

Out of the 10 minutes you got, what did you think?

I just got it from the Amazon deal yesterday and have yet to open it up. Ive got about 10 games I need to play, but this may jump to the front.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Just picked up the game last night on clearance at TRU. Got about 10 minutes into the game, and it froze. =[ Thought it might be a fluke, so I rebooted. Froze again in the same spot!

Anyone else have a scratched disc problem with this game?[/quote]
Yup.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179272&page=5#94

In my case, the third disc has the most blemishes, so I'll be deep into it before (if) problems start. Don't think I can do anything about it since I bought the last copy...

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Out of the 10 minutes you got, what did you think?

I just got it from the Amazon deal yesterday and have yet to open it up. Ive got about 10 games I need to play, but this may jump to the front.[/quote]Honestly, it wasn't enough time to have a valid opinion on the game. I will say that I wanted to play some more and find out. =]

So I went back to TRU, and it turns out I bought the last copy. For fuck's sake. I had a decision to make: try to run the disc through Skip Doctor or an equivalent, or get a refund. I decided to get my money back and pick up the game at a later date. If I can find it for $20 somewhere else, I'll pick it up. Maybe Amazon will drop the price again in the near future.

[quote name='io']Well, I watched the first two episodes of the cartoon with my youngest son last weekend. He's the one who watched me play pretty much the whole game so he knows all the characters and such.

The cartoon is a bit strange because, while the characters look the same and have the same names, they are voiced differently and the plot has been changed up. There's still Nene as the bad guy, but it starts off with Zola as a shadow-master (my term for it as she is being very mysterious in the first 2 eps) with Jiro as her apprentice (!). Jiro and Shu don't much like each other and are trying to beat each other up at first. Soon they discover Shu can summon the Blue Dragon (much to his surprise) but cannot control it. As a result Nene wants to find him so they leave Shu's village (with Kluke tagging along without any powers as of yet) to keep it safe from Nene's attacks. Very strange plot mixup when you have played the game... But there's still land sharks and Szabo and Nene's robot forces and whatnot. So my son got a big kick out of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...see I actually saw the first couple episodes before getting my copy of the game. Still I actually am enjoying both stories...I dunno, I actually like it unlike some of the others here.

Today's episode was great though...I kinda wanted to see the unedited version to know what was actually said in this episode. Marumaro is just the character I expected him to be, a complete perv. See...in the show you could totally tell that they edited and made that fake flag. You could tell it was Kluke's panties in the way she put her hands in front of her skirt and when Marumaro got them off the pole and stretched the "flag" you could totally figure out it was her panties. Not to mention you know he groped her instead of the whole saying she was weak and that his fingers had cramps.

^^ I haven't watched today's yet - sounds interesting ;). Is Maru obsessed with Zola like he is in the game? That was probably the funniest part of the game.

Nope, he is obsessed with all cute girls. Zola I guess goes into more of the woman category and not a girl...so he doesn't seem to be too interested in her. He is obsessed with Kluke instead. Since like I said he pretty much enjoys groping her and they lured him with some of her panties (though it was edited like I said, by making his hand movements just saying he had finger cramps...and then the flag thing). Also, he wanted to get revenge on the Shu and others because he thought he destroyed the town they were in (and not just cause the town was great...but cause the town was filled with cute girls as he put it).

The whole obsessed with Zola thing was amusing and cute, his obsession with Kluke is definitely funny though, since it is filled with perversion and not admiration.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']http://www.toonamijetstream.com/ but they only have episode 2 there. I'm sure they will put more as time goes on. Otherwise I guess torrents?[/quote]

I had a feeling torrents were my only real options. I'll take a look on my cable box and see what it says as far as older episodes.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']
The whole obsessed with Zola thing was amusing and cute, his obsession with Kluke is definitely funny though, since it is filled with perversion and not admiration.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, finally watched it last night. Of course, his voice seems all wrong. And the perversion is definitely a wierd (and slightly disturbing) thing compared to how innocent he was in the game. It all seems very strange and off to me ;).

[quote name='GizmoGC']What channel is the show airing on?[/QUOTE]

Cartoon Network at 9am Saturdays.

It also shows at 10:00 p.m. on Saturdays during Toonami.

Guess I will post something about the game so it evens out lol. I'm on disc two now...so yeah.

Now back to the show XD

Seeing as how I started with the show...for some reason as soon as I saw that model character I expected him to be just like he is in the show. I met him first in the game and saw how wrong I was...then when he came on the show I was like "oh yeah...now that's what I thought Maru to be like".

Just started playing this game and I gotta say its awesome. Its my first JRPG and I have about 4 hours into it.

For those of you who have played/completed..at what shadow level did you switch to another class? Do you stagger who is a generalist to obtain the additional slots? Im only at the Ancient Hospital now after the drill and everyone is I think shadow level 12 - reg level 10.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Just started playing this game and I gotta say its awesome. Its my first JRPG and I have about 4 hours into it.

For those of you who have played/completed..at what shadow level did you switch to another class? Do you stagger who is a generalist to obtain the additional slots? Im only at the Ancient Hospital now after the drill and everyone is I think shadow level 12 - reg level 10.[/quote]

At the begininging of the game i stuck with their initial for a little bit and then i switched everyone to generealist to get the additional skill slots. you really wont get to expand upon them until you get field barrier 3 from there on its a cake walk to level them up. You learn all the skills for each at around level 32-35.

On another note I rolled to about 90 hours tonight and im right at the very very end everyones levels are in the high 70's , but i also got all the achievements and side quests minus the max all shadows and get everyone to level 99.

Once I got the 360 I was really into getting achievements but this game I could care less. I'm just enjoying it as it is...I could not see myself playing it over again just to get all the achievements. I'm actually enjoying the game as it is. I don't play it as often as I'd like, but the times I do I have fun, even if it is just skilling up.

I almost got generalist to 36 (got Maru there first) with everyone without a field barrier. I just wanted that done with and then level up my jobs.

fyi, if anyone is having trouble with the button mashing achievements, try using the guitar hero 2 controller. (not my idea, read it somewhere)

i was having a hell of a time getting away from the giant stomping bird, and failed 10+ times. did it on my first try with the guitar.

i like the game.

I'm with you, Im really liking the game, but I hate I won't be playing it that much since tonight GTA comes out. Its my first real RPG since I played FFVII way back in the day, wish I would have started this sooner.

game saves - are they only available at save points? there's a 'save' option in the main menu, but it's disabled for me. as much as i like the game, sometimes (like when i'm a bit tipsy) i don't want to keep playing just to get to a save point.

[quote name='UCLAevo']game saves - are they only available at save points? there's a 'save' option in the main menu, but it's disabled for me. as much as i like the game, sometimes (like when i'm a bit tipsy) i don't want to keep playing just to get to a save point.[/QUOTE]

You can only save at save points and on the overworld.

Just got this game from Goozex and it's such a great traditional RPG. I'm only a few hours in but I really love the graphics and the fact that there are no random encounters. This'll keep me busy while I wait (hope) GTA 4 comes down in price.

yeah, i set the voice to jp, but i like anime and the sound of the jp language. i think, once i dl the hard version, i'll go english to see what the difference is in meaning and in tone/inflection.

When I had it on English, it always seems that the pauses between the characters talking was a little unnatural. When I set it to Japanese, it seemed to flow better. But maybe that's because I just like listening to the Japanese voices more than the English ones.

Yes, dunno if all enemies have 2 items, but like certain do. The crappy and good item. If you have loot and treasure hunter then by simply attacking (using attack and not magic sword or spells) you steal and cause of TH increase your chance for the better item.

I just beat this at 2 a.m. today. Felt it very enjoyable and actually liked the story. Reminded me of playing RPGs on my SNES. I keep hearing people bad mouth the story and everything, but well, I thoroughly enjoyed all of it.

You can only steal once, if you get the common item and were trying for a rare item you will need to reload in order to attempt stealing for the rare item again.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']
I just beat this at 2 a.m. today. Felt it very enjoyable and actually liked the story. Reminded me of playing RPGs on my SNES. I keep hearing people bad mouth the story and everything, but well, I thoroughly enjoyed all of it.[/quote]

Same here...I heard that it was a bad game and such, but now that I'm playing through it, I think it's a really fun game.

[quote name='Layd Dly']You can only steal once, if you get the common item and were trying for a rare item you will need to reload in order to attempt stealing for the rare item again.[/quote]

Which disk should I start looking for the multiple item steals?

[quote name='Layd Dly']You can only steal once, if you get the common item and were trying for a rare item you will need to reload in order to attempt stealing for the rare item again.[/quote]

you could 'flee', leave the area, and come back and steal some more...

[quote name='MasterSprtn117']Same here...I heard that it was a bad game and such, but now that I'm playing through it, I think it's a really fun game.

Which disk should I start looking for the multiple item steals?[/quote]

if you're just going for all of the achievements, then there are really only two steals you HAVE to do. both of them are on disc 3, nearish the end.
one of the dragons, and the second-last boss

and yeah, in order to get one you can flee from the enemy, but the other one you can't, so you have to reset/reload to try again.

bread's done
Back