The BLUE DRAGON Thread!

[quote name='Walt Jay']Well, considering I finished such highly acclaimed 360 RPGs as Enchanted Arms and Phantasy Star Universe, I figured I might as well give Blue Dragon a shot since it has gotten mostly positive reviews.

Is there any advice to give for someone that just started?[/QUOTE]

If you care at all about the achievements, make sure you get the small list of missable items and monsters so you can get them when the time comes. I think someone posted it earlier in this thread. Or you can get the achievement FAQ on GameFAQs. It isn't full of spoilers if you just look at the two sections for the item and monster completion.

But, yeah, the Generalist class is nice. I waited a bit on doing that since I wanted to level up some fighting and magic skills first. As with most RPG's it is more difficult in the beginning when items and HP are hard to come by. So maybe snag a few levels in the startup classes, and then switch people to Generalist (so you can get the extra skill and accessory slots). Of course those are useless unless you are leveled up in other classes (so there are skills to use). And you won't get the extra accessories that fit in the special slots until Disc 2.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']For the record, I've only scratched the surface of this game (Mural Town is next up) and I love it.[/quote]

Yup im playing through the same area.

i really want this. but i wont have time to play it until after xmas.
im tryign to wait as im sure it can be had for cheaper then, but im very impatient.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']For the record, I've only scratched the surface of this game (Mural Town is next up) and I love it.[/QUOTE]

Mural Town is when you'll really appreciate this game is in HD. Enjoy!

As for the DLC, as much as I loved this game, it is definitely not worth it to me. Maybe if I was just starting out. At this point, all I'd be playing for is the leveling achievements and the monster list (since I have all but the one boss the game glitched me out of having in my list for some reason). Now if they come out with some bonus dungeons that might be a different matter.

I'm about 16 hours into this game. Am really lossing time to play tho with classes and so many games coming out. Just got Rachet from gamefly and with COD 4 and Assassins coming out soon I might have to put this on hold for a little while, unfortunatly.

What shadow classes did you guys combine for the chars? I've followed this thread a bit for ideas and I'm sure it'll even out in the end, but are any combos generally looked at as the best for each char?

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']What shadow classes did you guys combine for the chars? I've followed this thread a bit for ideas and I'm sure it'll even out in the end, but are any combos generally looked at as the best for each char?[/QUOTE]

I just keep everyone at their given shadow class. However, during each quest...I'll stop and grind up the Generalist. I think Maro's Monk shadow has peaked on new skills so I may be moving him over Guardian. I'm also slowly leveling Kluke under white magic to get the HP regen skill and Jiro under black magic to get MP regen. But for basic questing, etc...I just keep them with their usual ones.

I borrowed this game from someone recently. The demo turned me off, but surprisingly I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
If only the boss music weren't the most awful sound ever created by man.

That song does get annoying. What's worse is I sometimes find myself humming it after I shut off the game.

That said, I'm on to the period of the disk 3 where you're set free to do all the optional stuff. Next up:
Sea Cube fun

Does anyone know where i can find the lyrics to the final boss song " the seal is broken? " i just passed the game and have been having this song on loop on my pc for awhile. very fun game. liked it way more than i thought i would.

[quote name='io']Does anyone know what the DLC dungeon is all about? 400 points...[/quote]

Here's all the info I could find:
Blue Dragon Shuffle Dungeon (400 MS Points) - 11/16
Download this new content featuring a dungeon that changes every time you enter. Along with more than 30 new items, powerful monsters, and more than 10 hard-to-beat bosses, there are certainly some challenges in store for you.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketplace/ticker.htm

Thanks, Linkin. It sounds interesting. All I have left to do in the game is grind levels for the achievements and I've stopped playing as a result. This may help out a bit. But man, I am reluctant to pay even 400 points for this...

the funny thing is all the DLC are free on the Japanese marketplace. Probably only works on Japanese version

[quote name='62t']the funny thing is all the DLC are free on the Japanese marketplace. Probably only works on Japanese version[/quote]

Has anyone tested this?

Blue Dragon just had a Price Drop at Gamestop (Universal I'm guessing) to $39.99 New and $34.99 Used. Can pick this up as part of Gamestop's After Christmas Buy 2 Get 1 Free Used Games, or get it at CC this Sunday for $31.49 New.

Credit goes to buckythekat for posting the Price Drop on the Video Game Deals forum .

[quote name='looploop']I borrowed this game from someone recently. The demo turned me off, but surprisingly I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
If only the boss music weren't the most awful sound ever created by man.[/QUOTE]

Totally agreed. The demo slaped you into the game with nothing to go on. I would've prefered to just play the first hour of the game.

I just started playing a few days ago and despite all the b*tching and moaning I heard from Blue Dragon this is a soild game. Most CAGs I talked to were recomending Eternal Sonata over this so I took their advice and now I wish I didn't. Played about 20 hours of ES hoping it would pick up and get exciting but no luck. Switched over to Blue Dragon and I can clealy see it's a much better game.

I normaly don't buy guides but I picked this on up. Seems like it would benefit from it

I'm near the end of the game and completed all the sidequests but the aurora ruins forest one. (I havent used a guide but I looked after and I ended up doing the sea cube first and going to the easier parts instead after that...), but, if I want to complete my monster record/item record and all that stuff, after I beat the rest of the game will it let me continue playing, or do I have to get everything before I enter the final parts of the game?

Well I been telling people that Blue Dragon is a lot better than ES. I also got the game guide. Usually on gamefaqs there is enough info but for this game the faq on gamefaqs isnt that good. The guide is also handy to make sure you dont miss any of the one time monster/item/achievement.

There is a warp device before the final boss. But if you havent been using there guide there is a very good chance you missed some of the one time item/monster. You can also start a new game plus i think.

Don't think I missed anything. I used an online guide only for possible missable things (as well as this thread especially...on one page someone mentions the missable stuff), and I also examined everything/talked to everyone over and over so when I found the guide I had everything anyway.

But if theres a warp point thats good...I guess thats the last place to go back and get everything then?

[quote name='Spades22']I'm near the end of the game and completed all the sidequests but the aurora ruins forest one. (I havent used a guide but I looked after and I ended up doing the sea cube first and going to the easier parts instead after that...), but, if I want to complete my monster record/item record and all that stuff, after I beat the rest of the game will it let me continue playing, or do I have to get everything before I enter the final parts of the game?[/QUOTE]

The monster & item records have several moments in the game that give you 1 chance to fight a certian monster or obtain a specific item (most by stealing rare items from bosses). If you missed that 1 chance you gotta start over from the begining and without a guide or FAQs it's likely you missed one.

Aren't the "stealing items" ones only present in the 3rd disc mainly at the end with the Nene items? If not maybe I did miss one...eh...isn't there also a downloadable thing called "New plus" or something?

Not sure what it does, but hopefully it allows you to keep the current item/monster record you have and start from any save game on your HD. I have my saves all full and generally I've kept saves no more than like 2 hours between each other in case I needed to go back

I'm quite sure I didn't miss the monster one though. I used a guide from loc or something on gamefaqs for that and it seemed complete.
For the items, I just used this threa...on a someone lists the missable items.

You're probably right about the items. I'm halfway through Disc 2 and I haven't encountered a boss that has a missable item yet (I hope so) And I've been paying close attention to the guide.

But with those bosses you only get one shot at stealing that "rare" item. If you by chance get the common item you have to resart and challenge the boss again. That sounds like a pain.

ooh really? I tried getting the black belt from the Eat Yeet boss and once I tried for half an hour, getting this crappy item first then never getting the black belt. (with steal and treasure hunt...and loot also).

I tried again later and I got it on my 2nd steal in like 1 minute...so maybe that boss falls into that category also. (i.e. if you get the crap item first you can't get the black belt)

The game has been pretty easy for me, but right after the one point in disc 3 where I fought this other extra ghost yeet boss and was around level 40 I found him quite tough. I lost twice, so then I had to change everyone out of their generalist/suckier classes, put them on their best ones with highest attack/defense, and equip the accessories that prevent petrify and stuff. I used 3 corporeals and barely beat him in the end as everyone had about 100 hp left. I don't think that ghost yeet had any good items though,...

i'm surprised this thread isn't getting any $14.98 or $9.98 Target love..........

unfortunately i got mine last fall in the TRU b2g1 - but still think it was well worth it. started it up last week and have already clocked nearly 18 hours.......and this is coming from someone who got bored of DQ8 after about 15 hours or so. the battle system is just so customizable (swapping skills and shadow classes is fun!), the graphics are amazing, and the story isn't THAT bad so far. if the story doesn't pick up until disc 2 like some say, then i'll surely enjoy the rest of the game.

I don't think I've ever been so excited to find "nothing" before in a game.........

I've been playing this quite a lot as well.

Finished Disc 1 at 17 hours exactly and I'm at the end of Disc 2 at
22 hours.

Hoping to finish sometime next week.

I've been playing this again to rack up the level achievements. Since I'm so close I'd like to get 1000 points but the monster list one glitched on me as one of the mandatory bosses did not show up on my list. Fortunately it is near the beginning (end of disc 1 I think). Has anyone started a New Game +? I assume I have all my levels and items and thus I can breeze though the early levels and get to the end of disc 1 without too much time or trouble. I'm assuming I can use the Field Barrier and just blow through any enemies. It is one of the 4 robot bosses on the ship that I am missing. Also, I assume the New Game + adds monsters to the list you already have so once I get that one I ought to get the achievement. I am about an hour from racking up the 99 level shadows from each character (by sitting on the Poo Snake island with the barrier on while I do something else like play SSBB ;)). That should leave me at 980/1000 which is just frustrating. It will be a lot of work to get to 1000 but I feel like I'm so close I might as well get it done.

Such a great game. I might pick it back up to do some achievement pursuit, but at the time I finished it I was just ready to move on to something else after the hours invested.

Love it though, highly recommend it to anyone that can find it for cheap.

[quote name='EvyLou']i'm surprised this thread isn't getting any $14.98 or $9.98 Target love..........[/quote]
wat?! I need to check the clearance threads more often. Time to check the local Targets.

I got to disc 4 months ago and haven't touched it since. I really wanna finish this and be done with it. Anyone know what level is good enough to finish it at?

[quote name='Rodimus']I got to disc 4 months ago and haven't touched it since. I really wanna finish this and be done with it. Anyone know what level is good enough to finish it at?[/QUOTE]

If you got to disc 4 then you DID finish as it only has 3 discs ;).

In terms of finishing, wow, I dunno as I'm at 99 across the board now. I did the final parts at a much lower level though - maybe in the 50's or 60's though it is hard to remember. Next time I have it running I can look at my save files to see where I was.

I think I'll give the New Game + a shot tonight - it seems maybe no one else has ever done this on CAG.

[quote name='Rodimus']You're right, I ment disc 3. Anyways I'm at level 40 with everyone, guess I need to level some more.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong - I'll have to check later tonight. It may have been in the 40's. Except for hunting down the optional bosses I didn't do any grinding (before doing the ending the first time).

Just got this about a week ago for $14.99 at frys and I can't wait to play it soon but with all the new games I have it looks like I'm pretty much back tracked right now.

[quote name='Rodimus']You're right, I ment disc 3. Anyways I'm at level 40 with everyone, guess I need to level some more.[/QUOTE]

OK, I looked at all my save files and it is kind of hard to tell but I was certainly pretty far along while my chars were still in the mid-40's. I honestly don't remember when I did the ending but I do know that the New Game + allowed me to select quite a few of my saves going back to when I was in the 40's (all on Disc 3). I'm guessing maybe that was when I finished??

I can confirm that New Game + allows you to keep your levels and all items. But it is still a bit odd because I had to re-find the Creature Compendium to get the monster list to show back up and of course you can't use your skills until you acquire the shadows. Also, you can't use field skills until the "tutorial" pops up but fortunately that is pretty early. So from that point on I just activated the field barrier and cruised through nearly all of Disc 1 in about 2 1/2 hours (skipping cut scenes obviously).

The monster that glitched on me was Heat Wave Sai who is the last of the 4 robot mini-bosses Szabo sends after you on the flying fortress right at the end of disc 1 (not spoiler tagged because if you haven't gotten that far the names are meaningless and I want to warn people looking for the achievements to be aware of this). Note that this is an absolutely mandatory boss that drops in on you after you complete a certain task. And yet in my original playthrough he did not show up in my Monster list after I beat him. I was very careful to snag all the optional and missable monsters (see a FAQ for those if you care about that achievement at least by the end of disc 1).

Fortunately that achievement chimed in right after I beat him this time. So there's more confirmation that you can build on the monster list (and presumably item list as well though I did complete that one the first time) in a New Game +. Extrapolating from my 2 1/2 hours on disc 1 I would imagine you could blow through the game in 7-8 hours total with a New Game + and high-level chars. Actually, probably less since I think Disc 1 is the longest part.

Thanks io, I'll do a few side mission then head for the ending. That monster Compendium achievement is a pain. I was doing great with it until I fought a boss that lets lose little skeletons and I killed him before he could summon them.

If I see this at a Target, I might pick it back up to go through on a New Game + run. I tackled most of the monsters, but would be interested in finishing off that and a few other achievements.

Man, all this talk makes me want to pull the game out, finish my level/shadow grinding achievements, figure out what items (I think just that damn Shield Ring) and monsters I apparently missed, and finish the 1000/1000 in a speed run on new game+.

I just picked this up for 14.98 at my local Target. Looks like a lot of fun although the beginning seems a little slow. Just a quick question: I usually get guides for the harder RPGs I play, so is one recommended for this? Basically I'm asking if there are a lot of misable items you can't go back and find later, or if the game doesn't give you and direction as to what to do next, or if it ever gets frustrating.

io's run for 1000 is giving me some motivation and hope that hopefully i can get there (currently at 80 :whistle2:() i'm surprised that i managed to do the 1st mechat stage (pretty fun) on my 2nd try, but i've heard they get much harder.......

I just beat Jeelala, am at level 29, and 23 hours in. i have a feeling that i'm spending too much time exploring and fighting, but it's hard not to when there are so many different attacks and spells to try.

and so far so good on the monsters/items lists - i don't think i've missed any yet. glad to hear that a new game+ won't take long if i do happen to miss something though....

I found this game for around 14 bucks at target, but I didnt bite. I played the demo and didnt think it wasnt that fun, does the action pick up during the actual game? How is the pacing of the story and combat?

bread's done
Back