The BLUE DRAGON Thread!

[quote name='wowimsocute']after you finish the game (beat last boss), can you save and then hunt for things/grind to get achievements?[/quote]

nope. if you download some of the extra content you can use your last save before the final boss to start a new game plus. you do start with the same character/skill levels, and your item and monster logs are exactly the same as your last save was, but you have to go through the whole story again.

if you want to grind for levels, you should just do that before the final boss (or beat it and then reload your last save to grind). if you're missing an item from earlier in the story that cannot be found later in the story (like i was) - the final item you get after beating it can only be gotten again by going through the game again with the new game plus. :bomb:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I recently really got going in Blue Dragon. I had picked it up in December and stuck it in my backlog. I started playing it a couple of weeks ago in my spare time and I'm about half way through disc 2 now. I'm really enjoying it so far. The story is interesting and it's keeping me into it. I just recently swapped all of my shadows over to Generalist and have been trying to get them skilled up now.

Did you all work on all of the classes for all of the shadows? I had gotten everyone past 36 for their original shadows so that they got all of the skills from them. I had started Kluke on Barrier and she was about 16 on it before I swapped her to Generalist. I had started Maro on Sword Master before moving him to Generalist, but I'd like to get him further down Sword Master as well. Having him able to Mow Down with Shu's type of damage on it would be nice.

[quote name='Lokki']I had started Maro on Sword Master before moving him to Generalist, but I'd like to get him further down Sword Master as well. Having him able to Mow Down with Shu's type of damage on it would be nice.[/QUOTE]
in the end, attack amp (monk) is better usually better than mow down. with that, if you charge your attack, you can hit enemies in a circular range, meaning more in front, more in back; and there doesn't seem to be a damage penatly.

double strike (assassin)+attack amp is MUCH better than mow down. then you can hit a bunch of enemies twice.

so i went to all 3 toys r us near me and none had blue dragon.....:cry::cry:
then i went online and it is sold out....:bomb::bomb::bomb:

ugh.... i guess I have to wait longer....

I just finished this, took me ~48 hours. Loved it. Did every side quest except for one of them, and really had a blast with it. It is seriously filled with bugs and riddled with framerate problems tho. The game needs more polish bigtime, but otherwise i enjoyed it a lot and hope for a BD2.

[quote name='wowimsocute']in the end, attack amp (monk) is better usually better than mow down. with that, if you charge your attack, you can hit enemies in a circular range, meaning more in front, more in back; and there doesn't seem to be a damage penatly.

double strike (assassin)+attack amp is MUCH better than mow down. then you can hit a bunch of enemies twice.[/quote]

Yeah, I've seriously leveled up multiple classes for each character in the last week. I've been working on the side quests and the exp & SP are coming at a great rate. Plus, it helps that I have 2 Black Belts and 1 Eyepatch spread out on 3 characters to double their SP.

I've done most of the sidequests now. I don't think that I will work toward 1000/1000. I like the game a lot, but I have a huge backlog of games and I'm ready to start on some of them. I have about 45 hours into this one now.

Ugh, I was running around tonight to tie up a few loose ends before going after Nene. I grabbed the last few Mysterious items that I needed for the bracelet and necklace and worked on some missing barriers. I went looking for the cave with the corrosive poo and king poo and I guess I ended up in the wrong cave and ran into the Spark dragon.

Yay for me running around for an hour and a half without saving it at all. Needless to say, I died a horrible death to the spark dragon and lost everything that I had done tonight. It's my own fault, but I still turned it off in disgust and went and slaughtered bad guys on Heavenly Sword. They should've put a checkpoint before the Spark dragon though. :bomb:

I put Nene to rest tonight. I'm missing a ton of achievements in this game, but I'm not going to grind out for hours on end to pad my gamerscore. I enjoyed the game though.

Hooray for being paranoid!

I bought Blue Dragon yesterday, and I have a question for those of you who purchase the NTSC version of Blue Dragon.

I was wondering, the wrapper on Blue Dragon isn't like other wrappers found on 360 games. It almost looks resealed, but the MS sticker is still intact. I noticed the other copies the store had looked like this, so I looked on Ebay for auctions with new copies of the game and they look like this too. I even went to Circuit City and the one copy they had was the same way.

Is this like this due to the game having multiple discs? Is it supposed to be like that? I THINK it's manufactured that way, but I wanted to ask you guys since, well, you bought the game.

I don't remember how mine was. I bought it back in January. I had read about them coming like that though, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

It is a great game though. Enjoy it.

[quote name='MoltenMan']Hooray for being paranoid!

I bought Blue Dragon yesterday, and I have a question for those of you who purchase the NTSC version of Blue Dragon.

I was wondering, the wrapper on Blue Dragon isn't like other wrappers found on 360 games. It almost looks resealed, but the MS sticker is still intact. I noticed the other copies the store had looked like this, so I looked on Ebay for auctions with new copies of the game and they look like this too. I even went to Circuit City and the one copy they had was the same way.

Is this like this due to the game having multiple discs? Is it supposed to be like that? I THINK it's manufactured that way, but I wanted to ask you guys since, well, you bought the game.[/quote]
It's normal, though I don't know the reason for it.

Come to think of it, when Shadow of the Colossus was released, every copy at BB was shrinkwrapped. *shrug*

Just got this from goozex a few days ago and have sunk around 10 hours into it. I'm liking it so far and don't see myself putting it down anytime soon.

I think my favorite feature is the time it takes from loading the game to actually being in the game. There's no branding in the beginning of who made the game or watching any of their self righteous advertisements.

[quote name='Dingleberry']Just got this from goozex a few days ago and have sunk around 10 hours into it. I'm liking it so far and don't see myself putting it down anytime soon.

I think my favorite feature is the time it takes from loading the game to actually being in the game. There's no branding in the beginning of who made the game or watching any of their self righteous advertisements.[/quote]

The first 10-20 hours are probably the most boring so if your liking that it will only get better once it picks up.

[quote name='babycarlitos']so i went to all 3 toys r us near me and none had blue dragon.....:cry::cry:
then i went online and it is sold out....:bomb::bomb::bomb:

ugh.... i guess I have to wait longer....[/quote]

Well it is $20 new and $18 used at Gamestop right now. If you use the coupon (with Edge card) that expires at close of business on Thursday, then you can get a used copy for $12.50 plus tax.

I just got to disk 3 of this game, around 40 hours in (lots of leveling up) and I love this game. It really reminds me of the great Final Fantasy games for the PSX (yes, I know Mist walker was created by the guy primarily responsible for FF)...

Any word of sequals coming out?

[quote name='REL1203']I just got to disk 3 of this game, around 40 hours in (lots of leveling up) and I love this game. It really reminds me of the great Final Fantasy games for the PSX (yes, I know Mist walker was created by the guy primarily responsible for FF)...

Any word of sequals coming out?[/quote]

I remember hearing plans of a part 2 before part 1 launched, but I also think it's success was a bit underwhelming in Japan, so not totally sure, now.

lost odyssey is a great rpg to play. hard to compare it to blue dragon though as they are so different. im just finishing up the 3rd disc now, the pacing is much better than BD. if you like jrpg's i suggest picking it up since its pretty cheap now.

Play 'em both Gizmo - they are both 2 of my favorite 360 games. But then I'm weird that way ;).

I do need to go back to LO to play the DLC dungeon but I'm afraid I've forgotten how to play and that dungeon is supposed to be pretty damn tough.

As for Blue Dragon, I played that to death (got my 1000 cheese out of it). If they came out with new content I'd get it in a heartbeat but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Finally finished the first disc again. Now to tackle the second. Before my xbox was on its last dying limb I had just gotten the mechant. Because it was on its dying limb I decided to sell all of my xbox things (instead of just keeping the HD and games and buying a new one). Oh well i appreciate the game a lot more now and with my wife playing Chrono Trigger on her DS we are seeing a lot of the similarities between the 2 games.

I would like to get back into this game but with some much to play, I don't know if I ever will. I really liked what I played of it though.

I've been playing this quite a bit myself. It's been a while since I've really gotten into a JRPG. To be honest, I'm not sure what I really like about the game. The story and characters are basically crap. I think it's the simple battle mechanics as well as the job system that has kept it interesting for me.

I just started disc 3, I don't plan on doing much or any optional or end game type quests. About how long do you think I have left in the game? Took me about 23 hours to get through the first two discs.

[quote name='MasterSprtn117']Around 15 hrs...[/QUOTE]

Wow really? Without doing sidequests the last disc is longer than either of the other two? I thought I was almost done...

I just recently finished this game up. Didn't want to waste time on getting all characters to 99 or maxing out all classes. Did all the side stuff though so it probably took me about 60 or so hours to beat the game doing the sidestuff and maxing out 1 class for each character.

I've been having a tough time trying to get into this game and I don't know why. I WANT to like it, but I feel like I am going through the motions. I start it up and then usually get something new and gladly put it down. I just finished the drill machine and I'm just like blah for the whole game so far. Should I keep slogging through or hang it up?

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I've been having a tough time trying to get into this game and I don't know why. I WANT to like it, but I feel like I am going through the motions. I start it up and then usually get something new and gladly put it down. I just finished the drill machine and I'm just like blah for the whole game so far. Should I keep slogging through or hang it up?[/QUOTE]

Eh, I actually like the game a lot but I would say the gameplay never really changes significantly. Also, the story never gets anywhere near good, so don't play for that reason.

I'd say just give it up...I also found it blah straight through. The story is pretty brutal (if there even is a story).

One of my fav RPGs ive ever played, the fun battle system, good music, awesome graphics kept me going throughout. I think it took me 48 hours to finish and that was without a single side quest. I would LOVE a blue dragon 2!

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just got this game today (for my birthday from my one year old son :) ). I have a question, but I'll preface by saying I am a father of two, work 10 hours a day, and I'm going to graduate school....I don't have a lot of time to play games, so I usually try to bust right through them. Thus, I usually get guides. A. Because they help me get through games with the minimal time I have and B. they make nice additions to the collections that compliment the game. So..

Would you recommend getting the guide for this game? I've played about two hours and didn't need one, but you know how JRPG's can get. Any thoughts???

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just got this game today (for my birthday from my one year old son :) ). I have a question, but I'll preface by saying I am a father of two, work 10 hours a day, and I'm going to graduate school....I don't have a lot of time to play games, so I usually try to bust right through them. Thus, I usually get guides. A. Because they help me get through games with the minimal time I have and B. they make nice additions to the collections that compliment the game. So..

Would you recommend getting the guide for this game? I've played about two hours and didn't need one, but you know how JRPG's can get. Any thoughts???[/QUOTE]

No you won't need the guide but I say go ahead and buy the guide. The guide has nice maps that are good for treasure hunting but the guide doesn't have the locations for the crazy amount of hidden items (the hidden items you search for on walls and stuff.)

Yeah, Blue Dragon is one of those games where you literally leave no stone un-turned. Check every pebble and every tree stump, usually it's only 10 gold but sometimes you find bonus experience or a +1 to one stat or another. Don't really need a guide to tell you that. Although, I've heard the strategy guide does help you with locating all those rare monsters so it might be worth it for that.

Well, I finally did get a guide for it, about a year after I beat it. I was able to get 100% completion (and all the achievements) just using a FAQ or two. So that's another way to go (plus I find them easier to read - never feel like I want to mess up a nice guide by actually using it ;)).

If you just want to play through the game and not be a completist then you definitely don't need a guide of any sort. But there are several missable achievements so it helps to know when those occur. There are also some rare monsters and items (which are also part of an achievement). The game glitched on me and at the end I had every monster in my list except one. And that one was a mini-boss that you could not avoid! It simply didn't record him in the list. However, the game has a New Game + option and I was able to restart and blow through the first few hours and get him again (fortunately he was early on).

This reminds me, though, that I should give the DS game a spin. I picked that up used from GS several weeks ago.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just got this game today (for my birthday from my one year old son :) ). I have a question, but I'll preface by saying I am a father of two, work 10 hours a day, and I'm going to graduate school....I don't have a lot of time to play games, so I usually try to bust right through them. Thus, I usually get guides. A. Because they help me get through games with the minimal time I have and B. they make nice additions to the collections that compliment the game. So..

Would you recommend getting the guide for this game? I've played about two hours and didn't need one, but you know how JRPG's can get. Any thoughts???[/QUOTE]

Only if you truly want to complete everything in the game, i used the guide and got all 1000gs. I also like to use the guides as place holders in my rpgs, since i often put them down and come back to them alter on (sometimes years later) lol. It was a pretty good guide though.

[quote name='freshzen']I couldn't get the button mashing achievements in this game =([/QUOTE]

I also gave up after about an hour of disappointment with my slow ass old thumbs.

[quote name='freshzen']I couldn't get the button mashing achievements in this game =([/QUOTE]

[quote name='spoo']I also gave up after about an hour of disappointment with my slow ass old thumbs.[/QUOTE]

I have slow ass old thumbs and can't play most twitch games or anything that requires multiple sticks/buttons at once (like most FPS and fighting games) worth a damn, but I still managed to get those achievements without too much trouble. Yeah, I had to do a few of them multiple times, but it wasn't too painful. That's not to say I didn't absolutely HATE doing them. I really despise it when games make those sorts of things into achievements. I'm playing Oblivion now and much prefer the way that one doles out achievements - though, dare I say, they are a little too easy in that game. I would have liked it if there had been more "completion" type achievements - like buying all the houses or completing X number of sidequests, etc... Except for the boss glitching on me in Blue Dragon I enjoyed that particular achievement (getting all the monsters on the list).

Can anyone tell me if this game has captions or if there are mainly text bubbles without the requirement to hear voice-overs or anything? I'm a deaf gamer, and I've been itching to play this.

It's got subtitles even during cutscenes so your deafness shouldn't be a problem. Good for you picking this up and enjoy.

[quote name='Rodimus']It's got subtitles even during cutscenes so your deafness shouldn't be a problem. Good for you picking this up and enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! That makes my day. I'm so glad so many games have captions these days, with the notable exclusion of the first Assassin's Creed...

bread's done
Back