The Boycott Circuit City Thread

Was about to pay $170 for a stereo installed from CC but got it from another site and have to install it my self and will have no idea how to do it haha. But fuck Circuit City.

[quote name='SaII']I for one will boycott Sony and CC :)[/quote]

I've been boycotting Sony for long time now so to add CC won't be that difficult.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']You know, I don't think we should boycott. I think we should make their costs go up. I'll post more on this avenue when I get a few minutes.[/quote]

That's exactly what I was suggesting a few posts back. Won't it do even more damage to them financially if we were to shop there and only but the cheap ass merchandise that CC takes a loss on?

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Was about to pay $170 for a stereo installed from CC but got it from another site and have to install it my self and will have no idea how to do it haha. But fuck Circuit City.[/quote]

Pretty much any car stereo store can install a car stereo bought from somewhere else.

Well technically.. I've been boycotting Sony for a longggg time.. since their PS3 is wayyyy expensive anyway.... and for CC? Plss... they rarely have anything worthwhile.. well.. i guess, I'm in! although.. i rarely support either one of them anyway.. Dugg the Digg articles also :)

In.

I plan to make copies of my electronics/entertainment purchases that I make elsewhere and mail it to their corporate headquarters once a month.

Circuit City - Corporate Headquarters
2040 Thalbro St
Richmond, VA 23230

funny thing is if someone posted

CC is clearing out alot of ps3 games for 4.99 that normal cost 49.99

99.9% of the people here calling for a boycott would be first in line buying them : )

[quote name='slidecage']funny thing is if someone posted

CC is clearing out alot of ps3 games for 4.99 that normal cost 49.99

99.9% of the people here calling for a boycott would be first in line buying them : )[/quote]

I'd be all over it if it were some sort of computer glitch. That way I could clean up and cause them to lose a bundle in the process.

[quote name='slidecage']Quote:
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2417820By Sony and Microsoft Author: Se7enwolfman, 08/10/2007 Actually Circuit City is only going after these guys because Sony AND microsoft is telling them to. Sony had threatened to pull all support from Circuit City if they did not take action againest me aka Se7enwolf and Speedy for posting that stuff. Sony had me fired and now they are going to be taking legal action againest Speedy and even other gaming sites who do post leaked information which includes possiblity of 1up and even joystiq.com.

Best Buy, Target and Wal-mart are also joining in on the fight.

Supposably Sony lost major amounts of money do the leaked PS3 price cut and made their drop the price a week early. The guy who interviewed me about the leaks said "Sony is wanting someones head on a stick for this." But because I wasn't the original one to post it, i wont be getting legal actions againest me.

This is probably the only fight you will see major retailers and rival companies working together.

UMMMMMM how does sony figure they lost money on the ps3 price drop news. There is no way to prove that BILLY wasnt going to go buy a ps3 for 599 but instead cause of the leak they were forced to drop it to 499

hey sony if you really want to #$#$#$ over your base who got the systems at 499 Put something in the new 599 system that isnt in the older ps3 systems and then see how many people buy your shit

the price leak didnt hurt sony one bit cause you know about every 2 years a price drop happens at E3 so $#$# sony[/QUOTE]

didn't I just say something like this earlier?!?!?!?

oh and for those who are trying to set up a url for boycottcc......... well I remembered there was a circuitcity suxs site out there, similar to radioshacksucks and bestbuy sucks... but I can't find it on google anymore ..hmmm.. it was there before :(

anyways if I find it, this story should go on that site, get much more attention over there and all for free :)

[quote name='ITDEFX']didn't I just say something like this earlier?!?!?!?

oh and for those who are trying to set up a url for boycottcc......... well I remembered there was a circuitcity suxs site out there, similar to radioshacksucks and bestbuy sucks... but I can't find it on google anymore ..hmmm.. it was there before :(

anyways if I find it, this story should go on that site, get much more attention over there and all for free :)[/QUOTE]

sorry didnt see your post. im too lazy to read all the replys LOL

i wonder if a place would put

sony to drop the price of the PS3 sometime between now and 2020 they would be sued cause they are hurting their business cause your leaking a price drop is coming LOL

i think sony just got tired of getting sued and they wanted to sue someone for a change : )

also someone should sue sony for releaseing naked pictures for the love of god someone buy that ps3 some pants :)

Circuit City was my prefered electronics store ("was" key word her). This coupled with what they did to me this past week. They had an "available by 2pm" guarantee on the Boogie game for the Wii, the game was not available, the time was 6pm on the release date, and they didn't want to honor the $20 gift card, I had to talk to a manager. So they want to screw us but we'll see who really gets screwed. Bastards.

I've never been one to boycott a store. Ever.

However, after threatening to take action against a site and a user that posts information that will eventually become public knowledge anyway (they're ads for God's sake) instead of tightening down on its own internal security to prevent such "trade secrets" from being revealed early, I've lost a good amount of respect for Circuit City.

I've been visiting CAG for quite a while now, and while I'm not the most active member here, the site's community, ownership, and money saving tactics has installed a sense of loyalty in me I didn't know I had until now.

Until this issue is resolved (read: dropped), I join the boycott.

[quote name='Tsukento']I'll simply make one final note on my end. No, I'm not going to boycott CC.

To be completely I honest, I think this will hardly have any effect on CC.[/quote]

If it was only CAGs going alone in this, I would possibly agree with you. But as someone has said previously ... Cheapy and Speedy are our brethren as it pertains to this matter, and they deserve our support no matter what. I also agree with what someone has said in a previous post (in that Cheapy should reach out to the other deal sites e.g. Fatwallet and SlickDeals and have them support a boycott through their forum communities).

Until I state otherwise, I'm in for the long haul. I've told my family and I've asked other communities that I am a part of to join the boycott (EvilAvatar and a couple of smaller sites devoted to podcasts).

Best Buy and Gamestop will get my gaming money this holiday, CC won't.

fuck CircuitCity.

Been boycotting CC for a year now. I vowed last year after the shitty CS and inventory to never step inside a CC store again. This just throw more onto the boycott fire. fuck CC and the lawyers they rode in on.

Man I really wanted my fans edge coupon from the madden pre-order at Circuit City, but screw them..guess I'll cancel it. I'm on board.

I'd love to see somebody make up some T-shirts or something. It could say "Support Speedy1961" on the front, and then in HUGE letters on the back, say "Boycott Circuit City" with Scorch's new avatar on it.

If something like that came in my extra-humongous size, I'd be all over that.

after reading a few of these threads and spending a few hours thinking about it..here are some additional thoughts..

The boycott CC will only go so far before it runs out of steam and someone else will post down the road "End of Summer clearance , 5 dollar games at CC!!" (an example mind you) with a few hundred responses and 40k views. That means CAG's are still flocking to CC even after the "BOYCOTT CC!!" campaign.

With Speedy gone these past few days, he might have either decided to STOP posting on CAG and hope things will die down and CC will leave him alone, or he is currently engaged in talks with his lawyer to see what he can do to save his skin OR CC Lawyers have already found him and told him to not to post any more cc ads and to hand over information about where he is getting his information or else be slapped with a lawsuit.

Either way, I don't think Speedy is going to fight CC/Sony... What we can do to support Speedy is to help him out financially if and when he decides to go public with his status. He could say he can't talk about it due to agreements/court order and that everything is going to be ok and thanks for all your support. We may never find out what happened on Speedy's side.
Best to keep him in your prayers and only if and when he asks for financial assistance, help the guy out with a couple of bucks or whatever you can give.

Okay, so I've read further and it turns out it IS Sony that's behind it because of being pissed over the PS3 price-drop announcement being made earlier than planned. You guys are missing the big picture that Circuit City's being pressured BY SONY to take legal action. You guys are targeting your hatred towards the wrong people.

It's likely Sony's pissed because they wanted the price drop to be announced at the same time as the discontinuation notice for the 60GB model. Remember how up in arms some people got when they found out a week later that the only reason the PS3 was dropped in price was because a bigger model was coming out for the older retail price?

[quote name='ITDEFX']The boycott CC will only go so far before it runs out of steam and someone else will post down the road "End of Summer clearance , 5 dollar games at CC!!" (an example mind you) with a few hundred responses and 40k views. That means CAG's are still flocking to CC even after the "BOYCOTT CC!!" campaign.[/QUOTE]
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/retail.asp?date=20070519

And again I raise the point... Wouldn't we be doing CC a favor by boycotting? Seems to me gobbling up all the heavily discounted items would cause more damage to their bottom line. We're the type of customers that they hate. We buy the heavily discounted loss items and that's it.

[quote name='Chitown021']And again I raise the point... Wouldn't we be doing CC a favor by boycotting? Seems to me gobbling up all the heavily discounted items would cause more damage to their bottom line. We're the type of customers that they hate. We buy the heavily discounted loss items and that's it.[/quote]

So, in other words, continue as you were doing, buy all their discounted items, drive them out of business.

[quote name='guyinga']So, in other words, continue as you were doing, buy all their discounted items, drive them out of business.[/quote]

I'm definitely down with the boycott. CC and Gamestop are the two places at the top of my list of ass clown retailers. I'm just making a point based on what I've read. From what I've gathered stores like BB and CC thrive on the high profit products like their warranties and services. There was a link to a site where Best By basically called us CAGs the "devil" customers because we gobble up the loss items and buy nothing else. It seems to me that by not shopping there they lose nothing (unless a huge portion of the country joins in), if we continue to shop there buying the weekly special items they continue to lose cash.

Just an observation. Is that not correct?

As bad as it seems, CC is in the right here. When I worked at a newspaper, we had some agreement clause that we wouldn't take the ads and circulate them prior to running.

I do agree that it does help them by making consumers aware of sales that are upcoming, but it also hurts them by making customers hold off on purchasing an item at regular price so they can get teh sale price a few weeks later.

Posting the ads weeks in advance is a legal tightrope. You take a chance when you do it, as the ads are technically property of said company until they are distributed via media outlets. I took the chance myself with the TRU ads, but was fortunate enough to not get caught by the company. This time, someone got caught and is going to have to face repurcussions.

Sorry guys, but if CC continues to have good deals, I'll shop there. While I feel bad for those involved, I don't feel pity.

[quote name='Chitown021']I'm definitely down with the boycott. CC and Gamestop are the two places at the top of my list of ass clown retailers. I'm just making a point based on what I've read. From what I've gathered stores like BB and CC thrive on the high profit products like their warranties and services. There was a link to a site where Best By basically called us CAGs the "devil" customers because we gobble up the loss items and buy nothing else. It seems to me that by not shopping there they lose nothing (unless a huge portion of the country joins in), if we continue to shop there buying the weekly special items they continue to lose cash.

Just an observation. Is that not correct?[/quote]

If we only buy clearance items from circuit city they will have it better than if we boycott them. If we buy clearance items from Circuit City they get rid of them and recieve some money for the item. However if the clearance items stay on the shelves then Circuit City recives no money and they have to clearnace the games more and more in order to sell them. Also what could happen is circuit city could not be able to see them items and then they might not have room for new items.
If people never buy anything at CC then they will have to clearnace everything and lose more money.

I don't buy full price anything at CC (only clearanced games). Not going there until this gets resolved. No one fucks with CAG and our members. :D

Wouldn't Microsoft also be pissed (if the Sony thing is true) about console price drops? I know there's been a lot of threads on new 360 models being cheaper, etc. Is this just Sony hate or is Microsoft in on this too? Because basically the same thing that happened with PS3 sure as hell probably happened with 360.

[quote name='Tsukento']Thing is that Microsoft wasn't planning on canning any of their models of the 360 with the price drops. Sony, however, was.[/QUOTE]

Isn't there rumors of the cooler chips coming soon along with HDMI on the core and premium units? Not that this affects the pricing but still.... if these changes are done then technically Microsoft is canning the current models on the market.

Haha, Circuit = CompUSA five years ago. Hanging on for dear life in a market where they're insanely outclassed.

After what they did to my laptop that I'm not going into, and now seeing this, I'm glad that I can continue my 8 month ongoing boycott of the place indefinitely.

Circuit City: the first credit card I ever shredded :D

I only buy the really cheap stuff from CC anyway, but yeah, I'm down with this boycott.

Figures it was $ony pulling the strings. Still, CC decided to roll with them.

I've hated Fony for years and this only adds an assload of straw to an already broken camel's back.

This really made up my mind whether to apply for a job at Circuit City or not...

On another note...I say we all make t-shirts that read "Free Speedy" and walk around CC wearing them. :)

To be honest, I've never really liked CC. Their customer service is terrible. Every time I go there I always have a problem with coupons or their own store ad. The point card thing was the last straw for me.

this is sooooooooo amusing. how many personas on here are of an age to even vote, and yet they feel "compelled to boycott to save their brethren"? this is just like the vitriolic criticism of xbscene by neogaf for using their pics of opened 360's, but worse. worse in that the stolen material is copyrighted. cag would protect their name, podcasts, images and the people would jump on the bandwagon for cag. why not circuit city?

this is a new electronic age that the laws of the past weren't made for. this is new territory for everyone and circuit city is just protecting their own. again, this problem has been broached years ago with fatwallet. the pictures are copyrighted!

i hope that peaceful accords can be reached. also, hopefully a workaround can occur. perhaps just items listed with price but in alphabetical order, not the ad order.

ps it is rumored that sony, et al. are behind this...circuit city is bowing to pressure also.

Yes, it is funny to witness all of this saber-rattling. This "boycott" will be a matter of convenience for most - when a deal comes out that has CC with the lowest price, many will still be there at CC with cash in hand.

EVERYONE, email them and let them know what you think: [email protected]

Here's a sample letter:

For many years I have been dissatisfied with Circuit City. Recently, when I visit the store on a new release day, I am often unable to locate the new release because the employees have not unpacked the boxes. If I cannot find the DVD or video game I am looking for, I search for an employee who often avoids helping me or finally pulls out the DVD or video game from a box behind the counter. This should not happen.

To checkout, I must now visit customer service, even though there are plenty of cash registers. I know that the clerks used to ring up my purchase there, but they no long seem to be allowed to do this. At customer service, the checkout process is excruciatingly slow--especially for someone who is only purchasing one item. I could understand a slow checkout for a big ticket item, but it should not take more than ten to fifteen minutes to ring up my DVD or video game. I know from experience that checkout at Target and Best Buy that their checkout process is quite efficient. As to any free gift with purchase advertised in your ad, most often than not your employees attempt to argue with me that I am wrong. At this point, I must produce your ad to show them that I am correct.

To give you an example of my latest experience at Circuit City, I went in to purchase a portable DVD player. I selected a DVD player but was told by one of your clerks that they no longer had that DVD player in stock. Nonetheless, your employee told me that there was another Circuit City nearby that had it stock, so I agreed to purchase it. I asked her to confirm that the player was in fact in stock at the other Circuit City and she said I had nothing to worry about. Nonetheless, the next day (after driving for 45 minutes one-way), I found out that the other Circuit City DID NOT have the DVD portable player in stock. I had to get a refund on both the portable DVD player and the service plan. That day, Best Buy got my business.

The highlights of any given visit to Circuit City include not being able to locate the item I'm seeking, poor customer service, and a painfully slow checkout. Thus, I made the choice a few months back to stop shopping at Circuit City because I was left feeling like your company was trying to discourage my business. So if Circuit City offered a lower price in their ad on any given week, I took my ad to Best Buy or Wal-Mart because any one of these stores would match the price, offer better customer service, and a faster checkout.

Within the last few months, I've followed the forums on DVDtalk.com and CheapAssGamer.com. I appreciated the posts that listed the comparison prices of different retailers. Because of these posts, I decided to return to Circuit City—in fact, I made more purchases at Circuit City than I ever had in the past (only because I realized through the ads that Circuit City often offered the best prices). While none of my previous problems with CircuitCity had been resolved, I continued to tough it out and keep shopping there. Within the last few months, I have purchased a 1080p DLP Television, several video games, several blu-rays, among other things from Circuit City.

However, as a consumer I have a choice to make: I could spend the exact same amount of money on these items at Best Buy, Target, or CircuitCity because no one company offers a lower price than the others. T hanks to Circuit City's decision to instigate a legal matter against DVDtalk.com, CheapAssGamer.com, and especially against the user named Speedy1961 about posting the ads ahead of time, I will no longer purchase any items from Circuit City and will encourage all family members and friends to do the same.

Due to the fact that Circuit City has shut down people who shared the ad ahead of time and for all of the other factors listed above, I feel like I can no longer give you my business. The poster in question did you a favor by driving business to your store. Having knowledge of your prices ahead of time helped me make an informed decision about how to budget my entertainment purchases. I'll still have that knowledge from the Sunday ads, but Circuit City will no longer gert my business because of their attack on DVDtalk.com, CheapAssGamer.com and Speedy1961. If the ads will no longer be allowed to be posted ahead of time, I will not continue to shop at your store.

Best,

[Your name]

bread's done
Back