The CAG Mario Kart/Animal Crossing/Tony Hawk WiFi Thread - 'Friend Codes' - Up. 12-21

I wonder if they're shipping the game out on the 14th or if most stores will have it on the 14th (and therefore, be ready for the influx of people on the network) since Nintendo seems to be pushing that date so hard.

[quote name='lebowsky']Just because you already have the game doesn't give you the right to ridicule the rest of us ;)

It amuses me that you have the game but can't play with anyone online yet! Ha! Of course that also means that you have been able to practice on all of these tracks before us. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I wasn't ridiculing anyone actually. I was amused that everyone is getting so excited because when I first got in I was very excited myself!

And I have played some people, I just don't have patience enough to stay on there longer than 5 minutes and wait for someone to show up. :)

[quote name='Purkeynator']Does anybody know if the Nintendo Wifi connection will support WPA and WEP security? I can't check any game sites from work.[/QUOTE]

WEP yes, WPA no.

Would Meteos work with this system? I can remember a big deal was made over the multiplayer aspects of the game, but nothing came out of it.

[quote name='rywateska']Would Meteos work with this system? I can remember a big deal was made over the multiplayer aspects of the game, but nothing came out of it.[/QUOTE]

There's bound to be some unoffical work around to get online multiplayer (like WarpPipe for MK: DD or the original Halo). Here's hoping that Nintendo makes an offical solution though.

[quote name='mobster011']http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Belk...73704/catOid/-12981/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Does anyone know if this router is good? Is Belkin a good brand for wireless routers?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127143

Or how bout that one from D-Link?[/QUOTE]
Generally, no, Belkin is not that great. The routers themselves are fairly functional. I just replaced mine with a D-Link that was cheap at an OfficeMax grand opening. Problem with Belkin si that they have zero support and they haven't updated their firmware for my router in 3 years. Based on that information, I would say their out-of-the-box support for Nintendo Wi-Fi would be sketchy at best.

Edt: Haha, that's the exact D-Link router I just got. It works fine for me. Same price after rebate too.

OK I've officially ruled out the Belkin. That D-Link is a great price for me, can anyone who has had it for a little while tell me if it's a decent router?

I saw a similar price to that D-link router at TigerDirect, though I think it was without the hastles of a rebate. If I get a router, it will be that one.

That decal makers going to come in handy. I dunno what I'm gonna use for my decal yet but it works pretty good if you pick a simple picture.
b2e44efd.gif

taken from IGN.com:

Mario Kart DS enables two, three, or four player races in 20 of the available 32 race tracks. The match-ups don't feature computer opponent drones, and the more active tracks with tons of environmental hazards (like giant rolling balls) have been taken out of the equation. Battle Mode is not an option.

Mario Kart DS has the ability to keep a log of people you consider friends. These "friends" are obtained two ways. 1) Playing people in local wireless multiplayer (i.e. in the same room, connected system to system via the standard wireless protocol and NOT the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection) will automatically transmit that person's ID into your Friend's List. 2) Each player's game has a unique 12 digit "Friend's Code." You can give that code to your friends, who can enter it into their own game with a temporary name. When logging onto the Wi-Fi Connection with the DS, when the DS sees that person online, it will automatically pull the appropriate user name and his icon. The temporary user name that you entered will be overwritten in favor of the data that the other user has already registered. And Friends can be removed from your list easily.

Mario Kart DS automatically links players together in the match-up. By choosing "Friends", Nintendo's server will go out and pull players on your Friends List also sitting on the Connect screen waiting for a match-up. "Rivals," in theory, pairs up players with like-skills, most likely comparing the wins/loss record ratio. Regional matches up people in the same territory, and Worldwide connects anyone on the planet together. Worldwide runs the most risk of lag, since you could theoretically be playing people from Japan, US, Europe all at the same time.

Mario Kart DS keeps track of the win-loss record against members in your Friend's List. If you want to see how many times you beat that Friend, that data is recorded to cartridge so you can take that data with you to gloat (or hide). Unfortunately, it doesn't keep track of your wins/loss records against players that aren't listed as Friends on your cartridge...and currently, the website doesn't offer this data, either.

Mario Kart DS will alert you when a Friend is logged on and waiting to play a match. Right above the Wireless strength bar, a blue "Friend" icon will pop up and blink when he logs onto the Wi-Fi Connection with Mario Kart DS. This icon pops up anywhere: menu selections or in-game during a race. Unfortunately, players can't see which friend it is, nor can they interact with them in any way. It's just an alert, nothing more.

And now, for the negatives:

Mario Kart DS online racing is a little more limited. Certain elements have been tweaked or removed to make the game run as seamlessly as possible. The "Three Banana" power-up has been taken out of the equation, and players can't hold a banana peel or turtle shell behind their kart for protection.

Mario Kart DS does not allow for specific match-ups. Let's say I want to play my friend MrKori and only MrKori in a one-on-one race. The only way I can do that is if I make sure that he's the ONLY person on my Friend's List (meaning, I've physically deleted everyone else), and he's logged on and searching at the same time under the "Friends" search setting. You also can't force a two or three player race. The server will automatically give up and let two or three players race if it can't find a third or fourth player to match up, but players don't have the option to go ahead without the additional racers.

Mario Kart DS does not allow players to "Friend" online racers. If I play a Regional or Worldwide race, I'll be playing against people I've never met. If I had a great time playing against, say, ShellBoy, there's no way I can add ShellBoy to my Friend's List because the game never gives me that option. And without any sort of contact information transmitted, there's no way to get in touch with ShellBoy to send him my Friend Code. In theory players will be able to search for names on the NintendoWiFi.com website, but at this time there's no contact info attached to them.

Mario Kart DS does not penalize players who disconnect in the middle of the match. I've had certain instances where players will power off their system in the middle of a circuit, on the last race simply because they didn't have enough points to push them over the edge for the first place win. If it's a three or four player race, the dropped player will just disappear and let the other two or three players race, but if it's a one-on-one race, that dropped player will sever the connection and all that racing progress will be lost without any sort of mark on your win-loss record.

Mario Kart DS doesn't pull up the opposing players' overall Win-Loss record unless you're actually racing against them. Your Friends' List shows what your win-loss record is against each player, but you can't see what his or her global Win-Loss ranking is in-game. This may be something that will pop up on the NintendoWiFi.com website, but so far, it's not an option.

no specific match-ups huh? does this mean weekly tournaments and such are impossible?

and no online friends? wtf? isn't that the whole point of a friends list?

Just played it today. My manager got a free copy from Nintendo yesterday and he doesn't have a DS, so I bought it off of him for $14... I feel so lucky. Anyways, the online portion of it is fun as long as you can understand that you can't communicate with your opponent. As far as the friend thing goes, here is what you do, post your friend code on here and they all the CAGs can get together and race. I just wish that more people got an early release copy because finding a person to race against is tough.

Allout, want to be the first perso to list there friend code?
Here is how I am going to set it up.

CAG Name- 'Friend Code' - State you live in

Been playing this game for a few days now. It is GREAT. Have hardly touched the single player stuff. It's tough to find an online match with 4 because of the amount of people with the game so far but it is SWEET! Can't wait till there are more of you with the game. It is a definite buy!!!

[quote name='ogreeley']Been playing this game for a few days now. It is GREAT. Have hardly touched the single player stuff. It's tough to find an online match with 4 because of the amount of people with the game so far but it is SWEET! Can't wait till there are more of you with the game. It is a definite buy!!![/QUOTE]

See above...Cough Cough

[quote name='allout1986']Just played it today. My manager got a free copy from Nintendo yesterday and he doesn't have a DS, so I bought it off of him for $14... I feel so lucky. Anyways, the online portion of it is fun as long as you can understand that you can't communicate with your opponent. As far as the friend thing goes, here is what you do, post your friend code on here and they all the CAGs can get together and race. I just wish that more people got an early release copy because finding a person to race against is tough.[/QUOTE]

I got mine off my manger for $20. Had to talk him down from 25 tho, lol.

I wonder what the chances are of Target or WalMart having this out this evening. I got Nintendogs the evening before it was supposed to be released at WalMart.

[quote name='daroga']I wonder what the chances are of Target or WalMart having this out this evening. I got Nintendogs the evening before it was supposed to be released at WalMart.[/QUOTE]

It does not SHIP until tomorrow...so at the earliest, tomorrow night.

[quote name='gizmogc']It does not SHIP until tomorrow...so at the earliest, tomorrow night.[/QUOTE]

mmhmm. Just like Nintendogs shipped on August 23rd and I had my copy on the evneing of the 22nd.

So it sounds like it won't be widely out in stores until Tuesday at which time we can get it at Circuit City using the $5.00 off coupon that can be used starting 11/15. If stores were getting it in Monday I was going to forget about the $5.00 off so I could get it a day early.

[quote name='daroga']mmhmm. Just like Nintendogs shipped on August 23rd and I had my copy on the evneing of the 22nd.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! :D
There is always a small chance, but I doubt places like Wal-Mart get shipments on Saturday or Sunday. I remember Super Mario Advance 4 (which was Mario 3 NES) shipped like a week early...but DS games generally do not. But if you find it, let me know! I want this game BAD

[quote name='gizmogc']EXACTLY! :D
There is always a small chance, but I doubt places like Wal-Mart get shipments on Saturday or Sunday. I remember Super Mario Advance 4 (which was Mario 3 NES) shipped like a week early...but DS games generally do not. But if you find it, let me know! I want this game BAD[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'll be posting! A friend is going to a few stores north of me to look at around 4 or 5 this afternoon. I'm gonna call around to a ton of different places and see if anyone has it yet. I'm assuming most big places (WalMart, etc.) already have it in back, waiting to put it out.

[quote name='daroga']Oh, I'll be posting! A friend is going to a few stores north of me to look at around 4 or 5 this afternoon. I'm gonna call around to a ton of different places and see if anyone has it yet. I'm assuming most big places (WalMart, etc.) already have it in back, waiting to put it out.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I can't see Wal-Mart getting this early. I have never seen a game released early at Wal-Mart, but have seen some DVDs (Which get shipped a week in advance).

[quote name='gizmogc']I propose we try and have some CAG related tournaments on Tuesday...Anyone game? Lets say....6PM Pacific, 9 Eastern?[/QUOTE]

I'd be up for that. I won't have time to organize it, but I can probably play it :)

[quote name='Jaket']forgot to put my state... fixed it in the OP for you myself ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot to look, so I just put CA in ;)

[quote name='Jaket']Jaket - 270642188092 - Mario Kart[/QUOTE]
How'd you get your number? Do you have the game already?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it. A bunch of EB/GS employees mooching off of their managers. ;)

Everyone that has the game as of now got it from either working for Nintendo/Online website/Magazine, or they are Managers of EB/GameStop or gave there managers some 'good lovin' to get a copy. And in Jackets case, thats TRUE!

Just to help someone out, I have a Netgear Rangemax router and it works great with mariokart. so use the list at top as more of a guideline

I hope I get mine tomorrow. Gonna go into the GS I work at tomorrow and see if the they'll let me buy a copy before it hits the shelves on Tuesday.

bread's done
Back