The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

Great thread guys. I'm a fairly serious runner (but not quite as serious as usickenme) - 3 marathons, 3 half marathons, and typically get out 4-5 times a week for a run when I'm not training. I've run into a nasty combo of plantar and some kind of hip flexor strain, so I'm resting for 2 weeks to see if that helps.

Question - do any of you use the Nike+ app to track your runs? I used to use a Garmin ForeRunner 405 to track my runs, but I think this app has gotten much, much better in the last couple of years and now I use it to track everything.

10 miles on the treadmill while watching the Broncos game. 1:18:00

-I won a Nike+ watch this year that I really like. It works with the Nike + website. But I don't use it on all my runs so my tracking isn't complete.

Back from my conference, but have a bad sore throat. Hopefully this cold isn't too bad and doesn't end up in my chest and flare up my asthma as that would likely keep me out of my 10k on the 1st as it takes a while to be able to run long/hard after a flare up.

ran 15.15 miles on the treadmill today in a shade under 2 hrs (1:58) Wanted a consistant effort and that's what the TM gives you

Impressive.

I hate running on the treadmill--have a hard time stomaching more than 3 miles or so as it's so boring to me. But it is great for maintaining pace. But I can't bring myself to use it other than when the weather sucks.

Cold is still kicking my ass and has gotten in my chest some. I do feel better today that yesterday at least, so hopefully it's on the downswing. I'll probably try to go for a walk tomorrow if I'm still feeling better and hopefully can at least get an easy short run in this weekend and start gearing up for my 10K on the 1st.

Running the 5 mile race tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it, but really nervous. If I maintain 8:xx something miles, I'd be ecstatic.

[quote name='Strell']Running the 5 mile race tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it, but really nervous. If I maintain 8:xx something miles, I'd be ecstatic.[/QUOTE]

some kind of Turkey Trot? Good luck man, hope you wind up ecstatic

Back on the wagon today...

Do you guys put much faith in those calorie counters/estimates that (insert your favorite app) spit out when tracking your runs?

They're never going to be 100% accurate, but as long as it's an app (or watch etc.) with GPS that's tracking pace, elevation etc. they should be pretty close. Much better than the estimates on elliptical etc.

But still not everyone burns the same calories running the same course and the same pace, so no way any estimator can be perfect.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They're never going to be 100% accurate, but as long as it's an app (or watch etc.) with GPS that's tracking pace, elevation etc. they should be pretty close. Much better than the estimates on elliptical etc.

But still not everyone burns the same calories running the same course and the same pace, so no way any estimator can be perfect.[/QUOTE]

Sure. I figure that much. I put my height/weight in, and let it track the distance time. I was just shocked that it said I had burned as many calories as I had, based on my pace.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Sure. I figure that much. I put my height/weight in, and let it track the distance time. I was just shocked that it said I had burned as many calories as I had, based on my pace.[/QUOTE]

Generally most estimates should be in the 100-150 calories per mile range unless you're really pushing pace (i.e. well under 8 minute miles) or running hills etc.

46:21 in the Turkey Trot this morning! Not great (9:xx I wanted 8:xx), but not bad at all. Longest run I've yet attempted. Lots of hills on the course, and 21,000 people to weave around.

Forgotten how much I absolutely love the running scene here in Austin. Today was a great experience and I can't wait to go again next year.

This also makes me want to think more seriously about the zombie run 5K that's going on in about three weeks.

Since I was busy getting ready for today, I couldn't run until Thanksgiving night. Still did a 5 miler on the treadmill in 31:38 which is ~ 6:20 pace. Felt good....maybe I should've raced this morning.

Still coughed a lot last night, and a little today, but still decided to try a very light run. Just did 3 miles at a very easy pace. Had no issues during run, but coughing a bit more after it. Still, I should be good to go for my 10k on the 1st.

Distance: 3.01 mi
Time: 29:39
Avg Pace: 9:52 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 121 ft
Calories: 373 C

Ran 4.85 miles in 36:50 (7:35) pretty damn happy as it felt easy . I'm up in Steamboat springs this weekend -about 1200 ft higher than Denver but didn't feel any difference

I forgot my GPS watch so I just timed the run and used www.gmap-pedometer.com which is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran about 3.5 miles yesterday, and the day before did 3 on the treadmill. I cannot stand the treadmill. I go to the gym at my apartment complex and it is hot, the air is stuffy and I'm stuck in front of a mirror or maybe if I'm lucky one of the few TVs they have in the room. The problem with the TVs are that there are usually people already in there with NECN or FoxNews on or if I get first dibs I don't want to turn it up real loud that I can actually enjoy what is on. I end up just watching the little timer click by and it makes me focus on every step, how hot is it, dry mouth, etc.

Crap run for me today too. Still not totally over this cold/cough and have that 10K on Saturday. Made the mistake of starting off my 5 miler at the 8:45ish pace I was doing them at a couple weeks ago before getting sick and my lungs etc. just aren't back there yet so ended up having to take a few walk breaks.

Distance: 5.00 mi
Time: 48:07
Avg Pace: 9:37 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 136 ft
Calories: 585 C

Should be ok with the 10k as long as I'm really cognizant of doing a 9:30 ish pace and only stepping it up the last couple of miles if I'm feeling it.

Was originally hoping to do it in 55 minutes or under, but will be happy with under an hour now. Need to stop signing up for races weeks in advance. Last time I had to miss a 10K for a family reunion thing that came up, end up sick and not in top shape this time. Better to just pay the higher fees a few days before the race.

Nice thread going here. Doing another 5k after taking about 2 or 3 weeks off due to vacation and my leg being banged up. Hoping to be under 19:00 on a course I ran an 18:20 something on about a month or so ago.

Found some fancy runners socks over the weekend. Have you guys ever tried Merrell socks? These seem to give some extra support around the ankle and extra padding on the ball of the foot.

I haven't tried those. I have some Balega running socks I like a lot. Not really extra support, but nice material (wick sweat etc.) and more padded on the bottom than regular socks.

another long run 15.15 miles today @ 7:57 pace. Would've been faster but I had a really slow mile in there I can't explain.

I run in Feetures Socks. They provide good arch support (I have incredibly high arches). You know it's a fancy sock when it designated right and left. I also have some compression socks but haven't worn them in a while.

Thinking about doing a 5k in Dec. I'm in decent shape now.

Can anyone recommend me a pedometer? I briefly considered a gps enabled watch before I saw the ridiculous prices and also that battery life appears to be a fairly ever-present possible danger. Since I can't get back down to the river where I was running, I think I'll have to just map out a route near my apartment. If I could find a good 3 mile course, that would be helpful.

I'll try to get it mapped out first with my car, but it would be nice to get some exact stats if this can be done. The time change screwed all of this up for me and I really want to keep it up as best I can.

[quote name='Strell']Can anyone recommend me a pedometer? I briefly considered a gps enabled watch before I saw the ridiculous prices and also that battery life appears to be a fairly ever-present possible danger. Since I can't get back down to the river where I was running, I think I'll have to just map out a route near my apartment. If I could find a good 3 mile course, that would be helpful.

I'll try to get it mapped out first with my car, but it would be nice to get some exact stats if this can be done. The time change screwed all of this up for me and I really want to keep it up as best I can.[/QUOTE]

I have a motoactv gps watch, and I actually love it. It seems to have gotten mixed reviews, but mine does exactly what I want it to. The only negative that I can think of is when you run under tree cover, it loses its tracking fairly easily. Granted, I don't do any Woodland running, but it's just a small quirp I have. They're fairly cheap and if you're using wired headphones, the battery life is pretty good. You can adjust the refresh interval to save more power if necessary as well. I'm currently using wired headphones so I can wear a hat while running in the cold, but using blue tooth does drain it rather quickly.

GPS watch prices have came way down. The Garmin Forerunner 10 probably being the cheapest.

I have the 405 that I got on sale for $150 or so in the spring. Battery life is fine, I just charge it every 3 or 4 runs. Supposed to get 8-10 hours of active GPS tracking. None are things you'd want to use as a regular watch though.

Another option if you have a smart phone is to just get an app and an armband to wear it when running. Plenty of GPS running apps that go for $3-5. A watch is definitely more convenient, but if money's tight and you have an iPhone or Droid an app is a cheap solution.

I have a Nike+ GPS watch (about $150), the great thing about it is you can turn the GPS on and off. So it doesn't have to be on the whole time. I get great battery life.

If you are halfway serious about running, a GPS watch is a great investment.

Pretty happy with my 10k this morning. Will post official results when they're up, but the finish line clock was at 56:20 when I crossed. Forgot to stop my watch for 10 minutes or so and walked around grabbing food and swag with it still going. But I edited the time down the the 56:20 and distance to 6.2 and that came out to:

Distance: 6.20 mi
Time: 56:20
Avg Pace: 9:05 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 211 ft
Calories: 770 C

Had no issues other than feeling a bit nauseous the last half mile when I tried to pick it up some, and got a blister on a toe which is odd since I've been running similar distance/pace in the same socks and shoes for a while.

Official results from my 10k yesterday have been posted.

Chip time: 56:06

42 out of 81 in the male 30-34 age group. They don't have an overall breakdown posted unfortunately.

Edit: Overall results up now. 321 out of 1276.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job on the 10k.

No run for me today ( had a streak of 23 days going) Because of a Kidney stone. Hope I can get back to it tomorrow

Struggled on my run today, legs still a little stiff and sore from the race.

Distance: 3.00 mi
Time: 28:39
Avg Pace: 9:32 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 91 ft
Calories: 365 C

11 miles today in two runs. First one at 9 am (6 miles) went well but felt like crap on the second 5 miler. Figured out that I hadn't really eaten all day because of a dentist appt. around noon. 25+ years of running and I am still making rookie mistakes.

Heads up (as this is CAG after all): I found some of the running-specific Champion brand shirts on a Target clearance rack last night 70% off, so it was about $6 a shirt. I haven't used any other brands so far, but I'd swear by the one I've got now, so picking two more up for half the cost of just one at regular price was a nice find.

Haven't been able to run lately unfortunately, so I need to get it going again.

Yeah, those are great. I have 4 short sleeve ones, 2 long sleeve ones, and 2 long sleeve compression shirts from theirs I wear under the short sleeve ones if cold enough. Great shirts for the prices. Also got a long sleeve tech shirt from the 10K last week that I'll wear too (about the same as the Champion ones, just a little thinner.

Thanks! Wish it worked at the Decatur location, but I'll venture OTP to save $20. Needs some new shoes relatively soon (approaching the 300 mile mark on my current ones, so should start rotating in new ones soon).

Much better run today. Did a hillier 3 mile route (twice the elevation gain) as my crappy run the other day, and still knocked over 2 minutes off the time.

Distance: 3.01 mi
Time: 26:36
Avg Pace: 8:51 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 188 ft
Calories: 367 C

Did 7 miles for my long, slow run today. Furthest I've done to date.

Distance: 7.00 mi
Time: 1:07:30
Avg Pace: 9:38 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 200 ft
Calories: 850 C

FYI-

If you want to register for a Rock N Roll Event. They are offering $20 off registration today only. The website sucks so it may take a while to get through.

Ran 25:52 for three miles last Saturday. I haven't been able to run much lately due to some minor injuries; I got bad shin splints and somehow hurt my neck. Felt great to run though. It also got really cold around here, which is perfect running weather for me. Hope to get back out this weekend.

Passed on the Zombie Run thing that's going on here this weekend. I found out it's 1.5 hours just to drive to it, which just isn't worth it. Registration is already $50. I'm not dropping what would amount to nearly $100 and several hours of my weekend for a novelty run.

Ran 8 miles yesterday and the last two longer runs I've had some tightness in what I believe my Achilles tendons. Looking online most say that it is painful, sore, etc. I don't have any soreness but I had a snapping sensation while walking downstairs for most of the morning until it seemed to loosen up. I'm going to do some additional stretching before and after running to see if that helps and I will talk to my aunt (who is a PT). I really can't let this sideline me too much since I'm prepping for a marathon.

Been busy as shit this week with giving and grading finals, end of semsester meetings etc. so wasn't able to run until today. Got in a solid 4-miler, and will do five with my run group tomorrow.

Distance: 4.00 mi
Time: 37:12
Avg Pace: 9:17 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 100 ft
Calories: 486 C

Saw this and was instantly reminded that I need to go running. Had the flu about two weeks ago then injured myself at my martial arts club, but I can't wait to get back to it!

bread's done
Back