The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

dmaul, I'm surprised you ran today. Low temperature isn't too much of a detriment for me but heavy winds are a real dealbreaker. Even though I had other things going on today that prevented me from running, the strong winds in the area would have lowered my desire to get outside anyway.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Got a great long slow run in this afternoon. 10 miles, besting my previous long of 8 miles. Was surprised it didn't feel harder, especially with it being a hillier path than my usual routes. I guess eating more today than before the 8 miler last week, and having a Gu energy gel around the halfway point helped. Was pretty cold with the windchill around 32, so glad I had the gloves and headband I bought the other day.

Distance: 10.00 mi
Time: 1:36:47
Avg Pace: 9:40 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 477 ft
Calories: 1,226 C

[/QUOTE]
I thought my two mile run today was impressive...

Yeah, when the subject of running comes up I make it a point to describe myself just as someone who runs. I reserve the term "runner" for people like dmaul, usickenme and others who consistently do longer distances and don't have a lot of deviation from their routine.

Yeah, I'd love to be as good as him and usickenme some day, but it probably won't happen. I just don't have the time and resources to run that much on a regular basis.

Speaking of which, only did a mile today and on an elliptical. My splints are killing me after that two mile run from yesterday so I wanted to take it easy.

5.66 miles in 45 min. I had a twinge in my right hammy that I'm not happy about. I have a half-marathon in a month

[quote name='neocisco']dmaul, I'm surprised you ran today. Low temperature isn't too much of a detriment for me but heavy winds are a real dealbreaker. Even though I had other things going on today that prevented me from running, the strong winds in the area would have lowered my desire to get outside anyway.[/QUOTE]

Winds weren't super bad down here in the city. One stretch on the way back it was a bit brutal, but otherwise not to bad with buildings, trees and hills blocking the worst of it for most of the root.

I really just wanted to get in one last long run before heading out of town, and with the pouring rain yesterday today was the only chance this week.

[quote name='neocisco']Yeah, when the subject of running comes up I make it a point to describe myself just as someone who runs. I reserve the term "runner" for people like dmaul, usickenme and others who consistently do longer distances and don't have a lot of deviation from their routine.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Yeah, I'd love to be as good as him and usickenme some day, but it probably won't happen. I just don't have the time and resources to run that much on a regular basis.
[/QUOTE]

I've only been running since last February, and only started doing longer runs (over 5 miles) consistently over the past couple of months.

It does take time, but I only run 3-4 days a week. Usually 2-3 shorter runs of 3-4 miles, maybe 5 for one. Then a long slow run on the weekend. Don't plan on going above 10 any time soon. Don't really have the time and not much reason to unless I do a full marathon down the road.

But I have a very flexible work schedule as a professor (long hours, but can work them when I want outside of classes/meetings) which helps a ton. And I don't have or want kids, so outside of work my free time is just time with the girlfriend and hobbies, and I put running and working out as the top priority outside of her.

[quote name='GUNNM']Was gonna go for a third mile right now but I said fuck it and stayed home ate pizza.[/QUOTE]

I had 3 pieces of left over pizza before. Had a couple beers and some fries and philly cheese stake sliders a bit ago. Still a but hungry so will eat some left over stir fry in a bit probably. I've always had a high metabolism and never had weight issues thankfully, with the longer distance running I'm super hungry all the time and still losing a little bit of weight.

[quote name='usickenme']5.66 miles in 45 min. I had a twinge in my right hammy that I'm not happy about. I have a half-marathon in a month[/QUOTE]

Hope that turns out alright and isn't anything serious!

[quote name='dmaul1114']Got a great long slow run in this afternoon. 10 miles, besting my previous long of 8 miles. Was surprised it didn't feel harder, especially with it being a hillier path than my usual routes. I guess eating more today than before the 8 miler last week, and having a Gu energy gel around the halfway point helped. Was pretty cold with the windchill around 32, so glad I had the gloves and headband I bought the other day.

Distance: 10.00 mi
Time: 1:36:47
Avg Pace: 9:40 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 477 ft
Calories: 1,226 C

That will be my last run until probably the 30th as I'll be at my folks for the holidays from tomorrow through the 29th and will probably just use their elliptical rather than screw around finding a place to run and dealing with the cold and snow there. So happy holidays to everyone![/QUOTE]
Awesome job!

I was inspired by this thread to break out my Garmin since I haven't touched it in a while.

Distance: 4.10 mi
Time: 36:12
Avg Pace: 8:49 min/mi
Total Ascent: 777 ft
Total Descent: 765 ft
Calories: 564

Let me just say, today was miserable. It's 45° F with a windchill of 41° F, steady 6 mph wind with what seemed like never ending 14 mph wind gusts. Part of the run was on the roads through an undeveloped subdivision which is heavily wooded and it felt like I was running down a wind tunnel, the other part of the run was a road along the beach which was nice because I got to watch the 4 foot waves coming in, but the wind gusts coming off the water were so hard that I was leaning into the wind while running just to keep up my pace.

I was hoping to go for 5 or 6 miles, but I thought about how I could be at home watching football and eating the various Christmas foods we have at the house without two layers of sweaty clothes on and that pretty much sealed the deal on running the last part of my planned route. :lol:

Been doing a decent amount of running this week. Having family around to keep my kids a little busy helps.

Sun- 7.77 miles
Mon - 6.75 miles
Tues- 5.75 miles
Weds- 8.92 miles

The 5K trail last Saturday was brutal. About halfway into the run I got a massive pain in between my shoulder blades, and it severely slowed me down. Immediately after the run, I felt intense pain in areas that haven't hurt in months, especially in my calves. Got a massive headache and stomachache and felt terrible. Went home and slept for two days straight. It was awful. Making me gun shy about going out again.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I did two miles again today. It was pathetic. Then again, I'm also suffering from a cold, so I was a bit drained to begin with.[/QUOTE]

ugh, that sucks. Typical rule for running when sick is. If the issue is from the "neck up"- sore throat, runny nose, etc. It's okay. If it is lower- congestions, coughing, etc. It's better to rest.

16 miles today in 2:06:16. (7:53) Just a simple run on the treadmill. I've done a long run of 15+ miles once a week for the past 8 weeks. Today was my last one.

well I finished of 2012 with 2437 miles. I ran 300 days (taking 66 off). Not too shabby. 200 more miles than last year.

Not sure I would want to do too much more.

[quote name='usickenme']well I finished of 2012 with 2437 miles. I ran 300 days (taking 66 off). Not too shabby. 200 more miles than last year.

Not sure I would want to do too much more.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Congrats.

I'm back on the train today with the holidays finally being over.

[quote name='usickenme']well I finished of 2012 with 2437 miles. I ran 300 days (taking 66 off). Not too shabby. 200 more miles than last year.

Not sure I would want to do too much more.[/QUOTE]

You didn't hit 2500? Pssshhh. ;)

I did my first run with my Garmin watch on March 28th, so it's missing 10-15 runs probably that I did prior to get it as I started running in February.

On the watch I did 72 runs for a total of 294.72 miles.

Should be way higher this year as I'll be running all year and I do more mileage now per week. I slacked off most of the summer last year as well and hope to power through the heat this summer as well.

Haven't got a run in since the 21st currently though do to being out of town until the 29th, and busy the past two days. Was hoping to run today, but it's pouring rain so will have to wait till tomorrow. I did hit the elliptical at my parents a couple times last week at least.

Solid 5-miler for my first run of 2013.

Distance: 5.00 mi
Time: 44:39
Avg Pace: 8:55 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 202 ft
Calories: 614 C

Another solid 5-miler this morning despite the cold.

Distance: 5.01 mi
Time: 44:21
Avg Pace: 8:52 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 321 ft
Calories: 606 C

Thanks. I'm set on shoes for a bit--used that Fleet Feet groupon you posted last month. Thanks again!

Wish the weather would straighten up. Between rain and busy with beginning of semester work, haven't ran in a week. May have to suck it up and hit the tread mill as it's supposed to rain through Thursday.

Did a calisthenics pyramid this morning (2 pullups/4 pushups/4 situps as a base multiplied by 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1). Then cooled off with a 4.5 mile run in 40:54. Finished up with 500 yards freestyle in the pool afterward.

I was only planning on running two miles but I thought about this thread and how much you guys have been running and decided I'd dial it up. Motivation is contagious!

Haven't been able to run since that last posting, since that was the start of a terrible bout of flu. :/

On the upside, sunlight is lasting longer at night now, so there's a chance to return to post-workday runs.

Went out for a run Monday. It was 22 with a wind chill of 5. Promptly turned back around and went inside and did some cardio there.

The weather out here in the midwest has been wacky lately. It's usually in the 30's this time of year. It was 62 the other day. 48 hours later, 22...

Got my first long run of the year in today.

Distance: 10.01 mi
Time: 1:35:13
Avg Pace: 9:31 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 284 ft
Calories: 1,217 C

OK, I'm curious what everyone's height and weight are. Post if you want and I'll go first. I'm 6'0" and 168 lbs. I'm surprised I've stayed under 170 with the holidays and so much rain here the last couple of months. I'd like to get down to 165 this spring and hold there. It will be interesting to see how that works out since I'm trying to solidify with a little more muscle mass while trimming off the remaining fat around my stomach, the final frontier. Thanks a lot, genetic heritage.

Did 3 miles today, took just under 26 minutes.

I'm 6'4" 200 lbs. Gained some weight over the fall/winter, but my waist has stayed the same so hopefully it's mostly lean.

[quote name='perdition(troy']My mental pic of you has been blown lol. I always thought of you as a bigger guy (6' / 6'1 for some reason)[/QUOTE]

haha, as did I for some reason. And Latin/Hispanic...

Ran a 5K this morning.

Edit: Results up on web now, guessing those are the official ones. 25:40. 193rd out of 1,476 overall, 24th out of 70 in the male 30-34 age group.

Pretty happy with that as I knocked 1:06 off my last 5K race time. Was kind of hoping to get it under 25 minutes, but couldn't hold that pace the third mile after a couple of hills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran my goal half marathon yesterday. I am happy to say I totally rocked it.

I ran 1:20:20 (6:08 pace). This was a 1 min 53 second PR and way faster than I thought I could do. Even though I wasn't completely sure I could run like that, I still let myself believe so when I felt good, I went for it.

also... I am 5'-8" , 145lbs

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Garmin Forerunner 405. Main reason I went with it was for the wireless automatic data transfer. Came with a USB stick you plug in the computer, and it automatically uploads the data from runs when the computer is on and the watch is within a few feet.

The Nike watches are better looking and have more features though. I was torn, but the wireless transfer (vs. having to hook up via USB cable) sold me as I like looking at my run data right away, posting it on here etc.

If you just want to upload your run data once a week or something, then not much of a hassle to have to plug it in though.

[quote name='usickenme']Ran my goal half marathon yesterday. I am happy to say I totally rocked it.

I ran 1:20:20 (6:08 pace). This was a 1 min 53 second PR and way faster than I thought I could do. Even though I wasn't completely sure I could run like that, I still let myself believe so when I felt good, I went for it.

also... I am 5'-8" , 145lbs[/QUOTE]

Damn dude that's awesome. No way I could touch that. I could probably run 2-3 miles under 7 minute pace but then I'd drop dead.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I have the Garmin Forerunner 405. Main reason I went with it was for the wireless automatic data transfer. Came with a USB stick you plug in the computer, and it automatically uploads the data from runs when the computer is on and the watch is within a few feet.

The Nike watches are better looking and have more features though. I was torn, but the wireless transfer (vs. having to hook up via USB cable) sold me as I like looking at my run data right away, posting it on here etc.

If you just want to upload your run data once a week or something, then not much of a hassle to have to plug it in though.[/QUOTE]

I had the 405 for 15 days and absolutely hated it because I got one with the infamous bezel problem. It's my 305 that's acting up now. I think the 205/305 was the last wired generation - thank goodness.

I looked into the Nike watch and I've found it has less features vs. the GPS Garmins? I don't like that the data is stored on the Nike+ site and isn't (easily) transferable. I like Garmin's system of being able to upload/download and use 3rd party software. Also, I use an HRM, which I don't think Nike has.

First time out since December...22nd or so, whenever I last posted. Felt like I was finally over the flu and the cough to brave the course. 4.2 in 37:22, which is pretty slow, but I've been really gun shy over the whole thing. Nice to know I didn't honestly lose all that much.

bread's done
Back