The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

Anyone have any experience with a FitBit if used purely during runs? I asked about GPS watches a bit ago but still find them a tab higher than I'm willing to pay (which could change this year).

[quote name='parKer']I had the 405 for 15 days and absolutely hated it because I got one with the infamous bezel problem. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, the bezel sucks if you're one who changes things while running etc. since it doesn't work if you're fingers are wet from sweat.

I never use anything but the start/stop button so I actually keep the bezel locked when in use so that's a moot issue for me. But definitely a valid flaw for people who do more than just stop and start it (switch between workouts etc.).

Maybe look into the Forerunner 10? It's cheap and only has buttons--no touch bezel or screen. Main drawback that I see is that the screen only displays 2 things at at time so you can't have time elapsed, distance and current pace all displayed at once like on most watches--but have to pick 2 of those 3.

I've been taking a few days off from running. Between the 5k and six miler last week I mildly injured something in the top of my right foot (feels like maybe some tendinitis in the tendon that runs up from the big two). Starting to loosen up and hurt less, so I'll probably run again on Wednesday if it keeps improving.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, the bezel sucks if you're one who changes things while running etc. since it doesn't work if you're fingers are wet from sweat.

I never use anything but the start/stop button so I actually keep the bezel locked when in use so that's a moot issue for me. But definitely a valid flaw for people who do more than just stop and start it (switch between workouts etc.).

Maybe look into the Forerunner 10? It's cheap and only has buttons--no touch bezel or screen. Main drawback that I see is that the screen only displays 2 things at at time so you can't have time elapsed, distance and current pace all displayed at once like on most watches--but have to pick 2 of those 3.

I've been taking a few days off from running. Between the 5k and six miler last week I mildly injured something in the top of my right foot (feels like maybe some tendinitis in the tendon that runs up from the big two). Starting to loosen up and hurt less, so I'll probably run again on Wednesday if it keeps improving.[/QUOTE]

Wish I had your luck with the 405. Exchanged mine 2 times and gave up, but luckily, I found a deal on the 305 at Best Buy. And, I agree with you that wireless transfer is killer. Plugging in is not so bad, but once you've used ANT+, it's hard to go back to a USB dock lol.

I looked into the FR10, and sadly, no HRM support. Looks like I'll have to check out the 210 or 410. I did a soft reset last night on my 305 and it did the trick for now with no hiccups on my run this morning.

Ah, yeah I forgot you mentioned that. I never use the HR monitor as I don't really care and don't want to run with the chest strap on.

Finally got in a run this morning. Had been taking some time off for the foot to heal up, and then weather and work wasn't cooperating.

Distance: 5.00 mi
Time: 46:06
Avg Pace: 9:13 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 134 ft
Calories: 613 C

[quote name='Strell']42:48 for 5 miles today.

Then I got into a car wreck going home. Hooray![/QUOTE]

Hope you're OK. By the way, your local Best Buy might have a good deal on the Fibit Ultra. It's being clearanced out here.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']My heart rate hits around 170 bpm when I'm on the treadmill. Does that seem a bit high?[/QUOTE]

Hard to say what's high for you. I would do a rough estimate of your max HR = 220 - your age and get your estimated activity range from there.

Thanks Parker, I'll do that.

Did four miles today in 36:40. I'm pretty sure I could have done it faster, but I was trying to keep it slow and steady.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']My heart rate hits around 170 bpm when I'm on the treadmill. Does that seem a bit high?[/QUOTE]

yeah it does. How are you measuring? IMO, heart rate monitors are really the best way followed by good old fashioned counting of pulse.

**if you are just starting out or doing speed work your HR would get that high.

[quote name='usickenme']yeah it does. How are you measuring? IMO, heart rate monitors are really the best way followed by good old fashioned counting of pulse.

**if you are just starting out or doing speed work your HR would get that high.[/QUOTE]

I'm using the heart rate things on the treadmill/elliptical. I'm not exactly just starting out (used to run a lot, didn't for a few years, getting back into it again, been doing it for about four months or so). I am doing speed work because I only have an hour for lunch and I have to fit running and weights in at the same time, (four days a week, I dedicate one day to distance running), so in order to get a quick mile in I usually run around 8 mph.

I can't take my own pulse. It grosses me out.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I'm using the heart rate things on the treadmill/elliptical. I'm not exactly just starting out (used to run a lot, didn't for a few years, getting back into it again, been doing it for about four months or so). I am doing speed work because I only have an hour for lunch and I have to fit running and weights in at the same time, (four days a week, I dedicate one day to distance running), so in order to get a quick mile in I usually run around 8 mph.

I can't take my own pulse. It grosses me out.[/QUOTE]

in that case, I wouldn't think 170 is out of whack

Ok, and 170 is on the high end, it usually sits at around 160.

Thanks dude, I had been worried since getting back into it.

While I'm here: Since today is Thursday I only did a mile. Nothing too impressive, but I figured I'd mention it.

[quote name='Strell']42:48 for 5 miles today.

Then I got into a car wreck going home. Hooray![/QUOTE]

Oh, I meant to say this earlier, but that time for five miles seems really awesome. I hope that with time and conditioning, I too will get there someday, but it sure doesn't seem like it. I feel like I've hit a wall with my running, but maybe I'm just being impatient.

Try different...ah, conditions for running. We've kind of mentioned some of them before, but here's some examples:
  • Long, slow run
  • Short, fast run (sprinting a mile)
  • Circuit training - run a mile slow (12 minutes), run a mile fast (9 minutes), alternate
  • Running a normal length, but sprinting for 5 seconds randomly during it, and trying to do this every 2-3 minutes
  • Try running with ankle/wrist weights (start at 1 pound even though you'll feel like a wuss)
  • Run some - and I don't know what everyone else called them - "Around the Worlds," where you go to a stadium and run up one set of stairs, go to the next one, go down, then up the next one, all the way around the stadium
  • Run backwards on a track for 1-2 laps (it'll hurt outrageously really quickly, it's odd how much different it feels)
  • Run trails on one day, roads on another, combinations of the two, at stadium tracks, in the woods, around your neighborhood
  • Ellipticals on off days can certainly help endurance if you up the resistance and/or height (if the height is adjustable)
  • I think there's also a weighted vest you can get; I've always wanted to get one and try out a run with it

There's a lot of variations. The more you do, the better, since they will all work different muscles in different capacities. I need to start doing a lot of this stuff.

Thanks for the compliment. It's roughly 8:30 miles, which isn't terrible considering that it was only the second time I've run since getting the flu, but I'd love to get it more near the 7 minute mark.

The two ultimate goals I have for this year are a 21 minute 5K and to run a marathon, and hopefully improve more next year, etc etc. In the interim, I need to be running minimum twice a week, try to bump it up to three.

Of course, the damn car wreck is going to screw that up for a bit...

That's a very good 5 mile pace Strell!

I've been on the lamb again as the foot was a little sore again after the five miler Sunday, and I've since came down with a cold. Foot's feeling better, hoping the cold doesn't' get worse and I can at least get a shorter run in over the weekend.

to further Strell..

Not sure sprinting for 5 second in the middle of a normal run will do much. Usually it a 1 min pick up (just picking up the pace) followed by 2-3 min rest and doing 3-6 of those in a run. It's called fartlek.

In order of getting better I would say

1a.) Base runs- Just normal everyday runs when you aren't doing anything special
1b.) Long slow run- should be able to talk and run
2.) Tempo runs (usually 20 minutes at a quicker than normal pace)
3.) Fartlek or intervals (called circuit above)- additionally these can be any distance from 1/4 to 1 mile
4.) Hill repeats- great for strength.

Generally you start with 1 long and base runs. After 3-4 weeks, swap up a base run day to a 2, 3, 4. After another 3-4 weeks you can add another base day, then repeat. The average regular runners should only do 2 of the difficult workouts a week.

Once week a month you should drop the specific workout and mileage for a rest week. Just do easy base runs.

[quote name='usickenme']It's called fartlek. [/QUOTE]

Oh thank god. I knew the term, and I swore up and down the guy that told it to me was trolling. Granted, I thought it was spelled "lick."

Wow. Some great advice. I'll be printing this out tomorrow because I think it's time I sat down and wrote out a schedule. I think I'll also see about getting into work 15 minutes or so earlier so I can take a longer lunch and focus on the running more. Thanks a lot guys.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Wow. Some great advice. I'll be printing this out tomorrow because I think it's time I sat down and wrote out a schedule. I think I'll also see about getting into work 15 minutes or so earlier so I can take a longer lunch and focus on the running more. Thanks a lot guys.[/QUOTE]

Probably obvious but helps to have a goal in mind..a races, time trial etc. so you can tailor your training. Please don't hesitate to ask questions.. (I coach a few runners online)

I've never kept goals in the past due to the detriment it would have on my morale if I wasn't able to reach them (I tend to set them pretty high). I may give it a shot though since this meandering doesn't seem to be helping my conditioning.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I've never kept goals in the past due to the detriment it would have on my morale if I wasn't able to reach them (I tend to set them pretty high). I may give it a shot though since this meandering doesn't seem to be helping my conditioning.[/QUOTE]

I meant having a purpose for your running... wanting to run a half marathon in a specific time is different that simply wanting to run 3X a week.

8.15 miles on the treadmill today. In the middle was a 5k in 17:59. Every year my goal is to get a 5k under 18 minutes, so it wasn't official but I did it.

My running has gotten slower these last few weeks... Until today. Had a breakout day. I did 8.06 miles in 59:39 and was barely even tired. Rate of 8.1 mph and 7:23 miles. Keep in mind this was on a treadmill but I've been having trouble with 7 miles in an hour recently and this was comparatively much easier today.

I think I need to do more varied running routines as strell suggested though if im going to reach 9 miles in an hour by the end of may

Finally got a run. My cold kept me from running over the weekend and weather hadn't cooperated this week until today.

Struggled a bit since I'm still not 100% over the cold, but still felt good to get back out there.

Distance: 3.01 mi
Time: 27:00
Avg Pace: 8:59 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 106 ft
Calories: 364 C

Ran 7.37 miles today.

I've been getting together with a group of dudes for wednesday lunch runs for the past couple years. We are all similar ability and it's a good way to get a run in.

Got a solid 5 miles in a bit ago.

Time: 43:42
Avg Pace: 8:44 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 506 ft
Calories: 605 C

Hope to get 3 or so runs in this week as I'll be off for a week to ten days after Friday (vasectomy).

Foot still bugging me some, but not getting worse and doesn't make me limp when walking or alter my gait when running so I'll just ignore it unless it gets worse I guess.

totally kick as workout today.

I did 4 one mile repeats...each one got faster and I felt great on the last 2.

5:45, 5:41. 5:41 and 5:36

dmaul- I was off for 5 days post -vasectomy. I probably should've taken a week

Got another solid 5 miles in a bit ago.

Time: 43:17
Avg Pace: 8:39 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 124 ft
Calories: 608 C

I've ruined a second pair of earbuds in three months from sweat. Any recommendations for earbuds? Sound quality isn't super important since ill only use them to run. Just want cheap but durable

[quote name='Rumors']I've ruined a second pair of earbuds in three months from sweat. Any recommendations for earbuds? Sound quality isn't super important since ill only use them to run. Just want cheap but durable[/QUOTE]

Go to Deal Extreme and buy the cheapest pair of earbuds they have. If you buy 10 with bulk rate prices you can get 10 pairs for ~$15 shipped. It comes from China so it takes a few weeks to arrive, but it's super cheap and they take PayPal. I just buy them like this and then throw them away every month or so when I ruin them.

For headphones for working out/running I love these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-J10-...id=1361547254&sr=8-8&keywords=sony+headphones

Cheap, durable, stay on when moving and last a long time. First pair I had lasted six years or so despite that my profuse sweating always snagging cables on weights in the gym and pulling them off my head or the plug out of my ipod etc. I wear a running hat, but I soak through it pretty quickly unless its very cold out. I sweat ridiculously for a skinny dude.

Rainy today, so did some lifting and 3 miles on the treadmill in 26:58. And with that I"m off for at least a week after the vasectomy this afternoon.

[quote name='dmaul1114']For headphones for working out/running I love these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-J10-...id=1361547254&sr=8-8&keywords=sony+headphones

Cheap, durable, stay on when moving and last a long time. First pair I had lasted six years or so despite that my profuse sweating always snagging cables on weights in the gym and pulling them off my head or the plug out of my ipod etc. I wear a running hat, but I soak through it pretty quickly unless its very cold out. I sweat ridiculously for a skinny dude.

Rainy today, so did some lifting and 3 miles on the treadmill in 26:58. And with that I"m off for at least a week after the vasectomy this afternoon.[/QUOTE]
I'll try these. The price is right if nothing else. I never used to sweat a lot but since I started drinking a lot of water I sweat like a beast now after a few miles

@ yousickenme,
Will probably try a headband because I don't like hats at all

I live in a city. Run in a park and on a paved rail trail most of the tme, but still near roads so lots of traffic noise etc. Thus some music helps with the zoning out.

I can't ever see myself running with headphones of any kind. I just get the feeling it would drive me crazy after a while. It's the same reasoning behind not wanting an arm band for a phone - I think I'd just hate that sensation after a while. I only have my watch and a single car key that I stow away in one of those shoelace pocket things when I'm running.

I think I'm going to try and hit the trail tomorrow and see how it goes. Will probably take it slow, easy, and not very far. I absolutely want to get back out there, but don't want to run (ho ho) the risk of hurting myself and delaying better/longer runs. But it's been three weeks and I just keep itching for it.

Hmm, I used to feel the same way. But I train a lot~ 7-8 hours a week. That's a lot time to be in your head.

IMO headphones are required for the treadmill. Many studies have shown that perceived effort is lower with music.

on most of my runs, I listen to podcasts. I have so many and it's a good way to catch up on them. I mostly run on city streets, paved parks, etc. I have instituted a 'no headphones policy' on one of my runs per week.

However, I NEVER race with headphones. I need to be in the moment.

bread's done
Back