The conduit: Will be at ComicCon 2009 @ NYC.

[quote name='The Crotch']Now, now. The fantasy-FPS subgenre has hardly been scratched! I demand a "Wheel of Time" sequel![/quote]If only.

[quote name='The Crotch']Now, now. The fantasy-FPS subgenre has hardly been scratched! I demand a "Wheel of Time" sequel![/QUOTE]

Really? I have that game actually and have yet to play it... maybe I should drop it in.

Looks like a lot of bug-shooting. I'm glad that there might be a decent-quality non-kiddy game coming to the Wii for once, but I'm more interested in the fact that it'll bring a possibly-halfway-decent 3D engine to it. The screenshots aren't super impressive but remember that things look a lot better when they're in motion. The game will look okay when you're actually playing it.

I'm just pissed at the endless cycle of "port a crap game, sell a disappointing number of copies because it's a bad port of a bad game, use the low sales to justify further bad ports or total abandonment of the platform instead of spending any money."

[quote name='rjung']Check out High Voltage's first WiiWare game, Gyrostarr. :D

--R.J.[/quote]
It looks like the Yaris game for the XBLA, except with spaceships. Hopefully it will be a much better game.

[quote name='Kaijufan']It looks like the Yaris game for the XBLA, except with spaceships. Hopefully it will be a much better game.[/QUOTE]

Holy jebus, it's multi-player Tempest for 2008. I might actually buy this.

[quote name='Swingman']Maybe you should learn how to be civil with other posters.

"After about an hour, it's just too much of a pain in the *** to have to keep your arm in the air with the mote aimed at the screen constantly. Every FPS is just to god***ed tiring because of this."

The above quote from you doesn't say anything about your frustrations with re-aiming. It's not my fault your original post was too vague. Your original post made it sound like your arm got tired from pointing the wiimote.

Yes what you describe can be frustrating but that doesn't mean the motion controls don't add much to the game. Maybe it's too much for you to handle but obviously other people cope just fine.[/QUOTE]

Look, I was just upping the ante after you said my arms need work. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. It was just a half-jesting, flippant remark with a little spite for good measure. Clearly I would never mean to imply you have an overeager protectionist view of the Wii that no doubt rivals even Strell's.

Being able to "cope" with frustrating controls (you just admitted such) is not my idea of "good" motion controls. I'll just assume that pulling and turning switches wasn't really a tacked on addition and was a valuable and integral addition to the gameplay as well. Admittedly, I haven't played it in a while and I just traded it away, so, unfortunately, I can't pop it in to give a better description. All I'm left with is a bad memory of frustration which really irks me because I loved I loved the first MP a lot and really wanted to like this game.

In any case, I'd like to see a tilt left-right look instead of a pointing look control scheme. I think that would work much better. Maybe this game, Conduit, can break with the MP established mold ? I hope so.

Holy crap.

I was just saying you either learn the skills for MP3 or you don't, just like I did with CoD4. Which was quite difficult considering I've done absolutely no dual joystick aiming training in the past 6 years like all the other Xbox and PS2 guys. It took me a while to get to a point where I could routinely kill people on CoD4 online, and I've gotten much better at the game, and routinely finish in the top 3 in each round.

You completely missed the point I was making, and now you respond with nothing but a childish insult. That's just inane.

I think both MP3 and MoH:H2 did very well with the control. I'm not sure what you mean by tilt control though. However, similar to how people like and dislike dual analog control, I can't expect everyone to be comfortable with pointer control.

EDIT:

Random thought. In terms of general internet forum opinion, Red Steel is underrated. Though the gamerankings score of just over 65% is about right.

[quote name='Strell']Holy crap.

I was just saying you either learn the skills for MP3 or you don't, just like I did with CoD4. Which was quite difficult considering I've done absolutely no dual joystick aiming training in the past 6 years like all the other Xbox and PS2 guys. It took me a while to get to a point where I could routinely kill people on CoD4 online, and I've gotten much better at the game, and routinely finish in the top 3 in each round.

You completely missed the point I was making, and now you respond with nothing but a childish insult. That's just inane.[/QUOTE]

C'mon, Strell, it's not a secret you're a little overprotective of everything Wii. Lighten up a little. I understand your point and any off-color comment wasn't directed at you, but included you for comparison's sake. Surely you're able to stomach a little ribbing.

And as far as a tilt control, I mean tilting the Wiimote left and right, monkeyball style, to look left and right. I'm not saying it would be better, but I'd like some developer to try it.

Bmulligen is saying make the wii remote a large joystick in a sense, kind of what they did for Metal Slug as an optional control scheme... at least I think thats what he is saying.

If someone can't even take the time to mess with the control scheme to make it work there opinion isn't very valid in my opinion, if that's the case. He could also just have the sensor bar placed at a funny point, or be trying to play standing up with his whole arm instead of just moving his wrist.
I think everyone across press and the public in general aknowledges that Metroid Prime 3's control scheme works very well; with a lot of people saying it's beter then a gamepad and critics saying it's just as good.

Anyway on to the Conduit.

The game looks very impressive. The tools, weapons, graphics, men in black/ sci fi secret agent story, the overall design and art. And it's important to note that this game is still very early in development. Anyone whos seen early screens for a lot of PC and 360 FPS games knows that, except for CGI shots, those generally look pretty awfull compared to what the final build looks like. This is definetly going to be a day one buy for me.

The trailer looks really nice, got me hooked into it on the climax. But a lot of the other shots seemed very empty for the amount of space you get to move around in. The one shot of the puzzle has me really intrigued in how puzzles are going to be like in the game.

It has potential but I wont get my hopes up, we all know developers have not taken the necessary steps to make a Wii game enjoyable so why would this unknown developer be any different?

Call of duty 2: big red one (Cube) - 8.0
Hunter: The Reckoning (xbox version…) - 8.7
Hunter: The Reckoning Wayward (ps2) - 8.2
Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer (xbox) - 8.2
Baldur’s gate: Dark alliance (ps2) - 9.4
Ground Control: Dark Conspiracy (pc) - 9

This company has a good record. There trying to do something original and not work for someone else or do a lisensed thing. I think people should be optomistic about this. They are a good developer.

Also remember this game probably just got a publisher within the last week so it's very early. The graphics for such an earlly stage already look pretty good. I'm presonally really looking forward to seeing how this shapes up.

Trailer looks ok, if slightly generic. The graphics are good but there's a lot of sparseness in the background, which - honestly - I'm only noticing because I've played a lot of CoD4.

The "deathmatch" thing at the end could mean they want to have a legitimate online/multiplayer system. I find it interesting that the main character responds with "About damn time," which is what the marine said during the Starcraft II trailer as a snarky comment about how it's taken forever for a sequel to come for that series.

This could definitely be something to watch for - we just need some hard facts on it and will hope it continues well. If it drops with a decent online experience and maybe some coop and some unique shooter elements, Nintendo should hopefully understand that the game could be a strong card in their deck, so to speak.

If game developers would develop the old school Goldeneye controls (hold down a button to aim around the screen, stick to move all directions) I would be happy. But I cant stand having to aim at a side of the screen to look/turn in that direction. I haven't played any wii FPS titles since launch(COD3, red steel) so they might've done that already.

But anywho.

[quote name='projecteightysix']If game developers would develop the old school Goldeneye controls (hold down a button to aim around the screen, stick to move all directions) I would be happy. But I cant stand having to aim at a side of the screen to look/turn in that direction. I haven't played any wii FPS titles since launch(COD3, red steel) so they might've done that already.

But anywho.[/QUOTE]

Huh?

The whole "hold a button to aim" mechanic is archaic, and was only used because the N64 didn't have a second analog stick. Otherwise, with the PS2/Xbox/360/Gamecube controllers, they all had dual analogs, which is a hell of a lot more useful. It would be like finding Resident Evil tank controls in a 3D platformer today - it just doesn't work anymore now that people are used to more advanced input schemes.

Also, the turning mechanisms in Metroid Prime 3 and Medal of Honor 2 work exceptionally well. Just as well (and I personally think better than) as dual analogs.

That is as impressive a wii trailer that I have ever seen.
Dual analog sticks suck, Perfect Dark and Goldeneye had the best console controls for any first person shooter.

I am pretty sure Perfect Dark has better graphics than half the wii games out.

Hopefully they go all out on this one.

OP if you want to update the title - High Voltage announced a scheduled Q1 2009 release date

It just makes me so happy to see a developer demanding the Wii be taken more seriously. Even if Nintendo craps on 3rd parties, and even if the game won't be world changing...still makes me happy

Huh, apparently I missed the trailer while I was somewhat disconnected during my move, and then the internet forgot about it by the time I got back. Environments looks generic, but nicely generic. Which is more than can be said for most. Some of the weapons look creative though.

I'm trying to give more FPSs a chance after so many years of hating the genre, so maybe if it gets positive reviews I'll pick it up for 20 bucks later down the road.

Video looks ok. I'm still not wow-ed by it, but that might be after playing some of the high def shooters on the 360.

Certainly looks like 1000000000000000000000000000x the effort most third party games are getting from other publishers, so I highly respect HVS for that, and most likely will get the game when it comes out to support them.

Eh, I dunno about this. Nothing about this seems particularly special. I'll definitely be waiting for reviews before picking this up, and even then, I'll only get it if I have some spare cash lying around...

Lol, did you read the interview? They aren't aiming for special or unique, they're aiming for a solid game.

[quote name='AmigoOne']Lol, did you read the interview? They aren't aiming for special or unique, they're aiming for a solid game.[/quote]

All I mean is that, so far, nothing has convinced me that I should buy this game instead of another FPS. They have yet to advertise why this game is a better choice than all the other FPS's I could be spending my money on. There's nothing particularly eye catching or interesting about it. In fact, I thought the art design seemed rather generic.

Maybe it'll be good. I don't know, but so far I don't feel it warrants a purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the new vid, game looks sweet for a wii game. Reminds me of half-life 2 for the xbox. Hoping the controls will rival that of a mouse/keyboard control scheme, thus making the aiming feel better than any other console shooter out to date.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']All I mean is that, so far, nothing has convinced me that I should buy this game instead of another FPS. They have yet to advertise why this game is a better choice than all the other FPS's I could be spending my money on. There's nothing particularly eye catching or interesting about it. In fact, I though the art design seemed rather generic.

Maybe it'll be good. I don't know, but so far I don't feel it warrants a purchase.[/QUOTE]

That's all valid, save for the fact that there's really no other FPS games on the Wii to compete with it.

Of course, there are other FPS games on other systems, and some of them might be really great, so yeah, that's probably what you are getting at.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I swear. :[

If the game plays as well as it looks so far, I'm in on Day 1. I just want a fast, uncomplicated FPS to splatter alien/demon guts all over the place, and this fits the bill perfectly -- especially with Wii remote precision-pointer blasting, YEAH!

--R.J.

[quote name='blackbird3216']graphics have improved alot compared to the last build.[/QUOTE]
old alien bug character model
the-conduit-20080417032705723.jpg

new alien bug character model
the-conduit-20080709061826928_640w.jpg

http://gonintendo.com/?p=49579
Interersting comments and information from Kevin from Gonintendo concerning his first hand play time and talks with the developer.
For those who only want the highlights I put a few quotes below that I thought were important.
"The Conduit looks so good that it’ll make you sick over third party support thus far."

"The sight on your sniper scope reflects the game world around you, in real-time. Walk up to a car, and you’ll see the car. Face your back to a building, and check it out in the scope reflection. You can even point the gun at the ground, and in the scope reflection, you’ll see the cloud patterns moving…once again, in real-time."

A gun that can shoot around corners apparently.

16 player online is currently up and running and their making modes, and trying to get everything working really well and without friend codes like Medal of Honor and EA have it.

and the last thing.

"One publisher they approached outright told them that they didn’t understand why High Voltage was making the game. They thought the project was great, but had no idea who they were trying to sell to. After saying that, the publishers said that they wanted to turn the game into a $20 project, and crap it out for a holiday release. Yes, the publisher really said “crap it out”. Seriously, how disheartening is that?"

Any guess's who this publisher is...

[quote name='j.elles']
Any guess's who this publisher is...[/QUOTE]

I have theories, but did they actually say who it is?

I really, really want this game. Even the incomplete version they're showing at E3 has me salivating already...

--R.J.

This is getting good. Wiispeak. I wonder if they will try to implement the 1:1 motion sensor accessory thing?

Reading the articles really shot my hopes up

[quote name='blackbird3216']hmm, publisher to be announced next month. Hope it's not Ubicrap.[/QUOTE]

An Ubishit rep approached these guys at E3 and verbatim said "we could crap this thing out by December if you people make it more casual."

I don't think HVS is stupid enough to want to chill wid' the U-to-the-fuckyou.

I played this at PAX. I got a media cd from them and I'll have a write up at some point. It was very nice though, especially for what they described as a "pre-alpha" build.

I gave them some good suggestions too :3

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
I gave them some good suggestions too :3[/QUOTE]

Oh god.

"No online, no local LAN, no controller options, playable on black and white teeveez only..."

bread's done
Back