The conduit: Will be at ComicCon 2009 @ NYC.

I played it at PAX too. They guy said they were definately interested in implementing WiiMotion+
Game seemed pretty decent from what I played.

[quote name='magiic']I played it at PAX too. They guy said they were definately interested in implementing WiiMotion+
Game seemed pretty decent from what I played.[/QUOTE]
did they say it had Split screen? How do the graphics look?

[quote name='blackbird3216']did they say it had Split screen? How do the graphics look?[/QUOTE]

When I was there they said that they couldn't get split screen running, but that they were working on LAN. The graphics are pretty good. There's a lot of effects that you don't usually see on the Wii. The only weak point was that many textures were pretty blurry.

[quote name='StealthNinjaScyther']When I was there they said that they couldn't get split screen running, but that they were working on LAN. The graphics are pretty good. There's a lot of effects that you don't usually see on the Wii. The only weak point was that many textures were pretty blurry.[/quote]
Um. Couldn't get splitscreen running in time for PAX, or they just plain can't work it in?

[quote name='The Crotch']Um. Couldn't get splitscreen running in time for PAX, or they just plain can't work it in?[/QUOTE]

At all. They basically said that they couldn't get split screen running in a playable fashion with their graphics engine. Here, this interview basically reiterates everything I heard them say at PAX:

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=3568

[quote name='The Crotch']That... fuck. fuck.[/QUOTE]
It's a downer, sure, but I wanna see what the Wii is capable of. Let's show the world what this last gen console can do!

No DLC planned for The Conduit
fuck yea. Also, I did a writeup on my PAX experience on my blog.

Man, I thought I was so clever saving all my grenades for the boss since I had seen a few people play the demo beforehand. Then the guy tells me when I get there and waste most of my health trying to nail him with grenades, that they dont work on him. Gee, thanks :|

Last edited by a moderator:
Update
16 player multiplayer, focusing on traditional MP modes. 15 enemy types in the game. All-seeing eye can open device and pick locks. Voiceover will be recorded this month. Detail mapping for non-blurry textures. Player can walk right up to textures and they will maintain quality. Talking about the game engine to take advantage of Wii abilities. Z-lock health/range being shown off again. Interactive water, light maps, and more. Normal mapping, blooms, blurs, and a lot more

New Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40747.html

I really like the new trailer for this game. Looks very good.

[quote name='The Crotch']Saw that video earlier today. Lookin' nice, though something about that water just seems... off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It's supposed to be murky water in a building? That's why the color is like that I think.

I don't think this was reported so here is this on the game publisher tip:

The publishing is secure from what I can tell. They seem to be waiting on a publisher who will immediately green light a sequal. This should be easy they say because they self funded the development of the whole game.

This is from in interview with IGN a while back on their podcast.

This game is looking VERY nice. I'm glad there's a developer looking at squeezing what they can out of the Wii.
But I'm with The Crotch here. I'm no developer, but they could have done something better with the water. Everything else looks fantastic for a Wii game.

The game is looking really good - except for the AI. The enemies just kind of stand there and take a full clip or they dodge into a doorway and back out again in a few seconds. I wonder if all of the horsepower is going into the engine and there just isn't much left for AI?

[quote name='The Crotch']Saw that video earlier today. Lookin' nice, though something about that water just seems... off.[/QUOTE]

Looking good, I agree on the water, although its always hard to get water looking good.

I think its movement is too fast, and that to much energy is trnaslated to the water in waves. I think the water would absorb a lot more energy than this water does, and thus not have as much motion.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']The game is looking really good - except for the AI. The enemies just kind of stand there and take a full clip or they dodge into a doorway and back out again in a few seconds. I wonder if all of the horsepower is going into the engine and there just isn't much left for AI?[/QUOTE]

One of those videos at IGN has an enemy sidestepping a rocket.

They might be working on it pre-alpha but I can tell you this game does have modular difficulty. Almost every game build when it's showed to the public and especially the press are stuck on easy.

[quote name='j.elles']One of those videos at IGN has an enemy sidestepping a rocket.

They might be working on it pre-alpha but I can tell you this game does have modular difficulty. Almost every game build when it's showed to the public and especially the press are stuck on easy.[/quote]

That is true, they don't want to make the demo a frustrating experience.

Video of the first level is pretty cool, but the voice acting gets really annoying at times and the guy who was playing it seemed to have no idea how to play an FPS. RELOAD, ASSHOLE!

Generally speaking, making an AI super-smart is easy -- it's making them dumb enough for players to beat them that's the trick.

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']Generally speaking, making an AI super-smart is easy -- it's making them dumb enough for players to beat them that's the trick.

--R.J.[/quote]

Generally speaking - it's easy to say any part of game development is easy in a forum. Actually writing code in a C based scripting language isn't always as easy.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']Generally speaking - it's easy to say any part of game development is easy in a forum. Actually writing code in a C based scripting language isn't always as easy.[/QUOTE]
A "C based scripting language"...?

...admit it, you don't know what you're talking about, do you?

C is a compiled language; "scripting" is for stuff like JavaScript or shell scripting, and "interpreted" is in-between breeds like PHP, Python, and Perl.

Yes, I do know what I'm talking about -- I've been doing this stuff for over 30 years now. But then, I don't need some UBRL337 forum handle to give myself a sense of self-worth. ;)

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung'] But then, I don't need some UBRL337 forum handle to give myself a sense of self-worth. ;)

--R.J.[/QUOTE]

I do.

:(

This better be better than half life 2. Some of these dorky 3d games give me motion sickness. Metroid Prime 2 knocked me out after 1 1/2 hours. I think tomb raider for the ps1 had the same effect.

Other CAG medical problems:

Io: Double the regular sperm count
Strell: Superfluous third nipple
Wombat: Boil on inner-left thigh
Lilboo: Pretendicitis
Liquid: Objectivist
Gwen: Afraid to love

Superfluous?

I dispense a variety of curatives from that epidermic chestular adornment. Crookjaw, Hazel's Lament (also known as Turnipcyrosis), The Jab, Kinzington's Disease, AND Yellow Yellow (a more deadly form of Yellow Orange).

Entire countries have subsisted on that teat. You watch your damn mouth.

[quote name='rjung']A "C based scripting language"...?

...admit it, you don't know what you're talking about, do you?

C is a compiled language; "scripting" is for stuff like JavaScript or shell scripting, and "interpreted" is in-between breeds like PHP, Python, and Perl.

Yes, I do know what I'm talking about -- I've been doing this stuff for over 30 years now. But then, I don't need some UBRL337 forum handle to give myself a sense of self-worth. ;)

--R.J.[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)

Most scripting languages used for event handling in games are C based.

If you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't be denigrating the talents of developers, because you clearly aren't one.

So yeah, anyway, The Conduit is looking great. :D

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']Most scripting languages used for event handling in games are C based.[/quote]
No, son. That's C syntax, not C based. BIG difference. PHP, to pick but one example, is an interpreted language with C syntax, but anyone who tries to call it "C based" will draw puzzled looks from people who know what the fig they're talking about. Many of today's newer languages like to copy the C syntax, since it reduces the learning curve for developers, but calling them C-based languages is as misleading as saying Boogerman is a sequel to Super Mario Bros.

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']No, son. That's C syntax, not C based. BIG difference. PHP, to pick but one example, is an interpreted language with C syntax, but anyone who tries to call it "C based" will draw puzzled looks from people who know what the fig they're talking about. Many of today's newer languages like to copy the C syntax, since it reduces the learning curve for developers, but calling them C-based languages is as misleading as saying Boogerman is a sequel to Super Mario Bros.

--R.J.[/quote]

Firstly, the “son” comment isn’t cute, funny or applicable.

Secondly, you can argue semantics all day. I write code in a proprietary scripting language with C “BASED” syntax. In future engine revisions we’ll be switching to LUA, also with C “BASED” syntax. I never received any puzzled looks when submitting my resume, and I never had a puzzle look when I read job listings asking for designers with experience using C-based scripting languages.

But hey, if you’re an awesome super-elite programmer with 30 years experience please PM me so I can refer you. Perhaps you can make the AI in our games super dumb for us. ;)

[quote name='Strell']Oh now that's uncalled for.

All AI in games is super dumb. :p[/quote]

I guess devs aren't lazy then... ;)

But seriously, RJ is right. It's kind of a "bad habit" that developers refer to most scripting languages as C-based, but it comes up a lot. LUA, Python, Kismet or some proprietary mess - like what we currently use, there is C-style syntax but it's not the same thing. And if you come from the network/database world, scripting to you is a completely different thing.

Sorry to derail this thread. I just don't like seeing a group of developers that are clearly working hard to push the Wii called lazy, or whatever else, because their AI is too hard/dumb/slow/etc.

Scripted 'Agent AI' isn't even AI anyway...but that's a whole other mess of semantics.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']
Scripted 'Agent AI' isn't even AI anyway...but that's a whole other mess of semantics.[/QUOTE]

They should stop using this term. As you said, it's a complete misnomer.

[quote name='hero101']This better be better than half life 2. .[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

not laughing at you, but COME ON. It's kinda cool that they're pulling off effects from the year 2000 in this game and hopefully the wii remote is dead on, but there is no way in hell they are going to top HL2.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']But hey, if you’re an awesome super-elite programmer with 30 years experience please PM me so I can refer you. Perhaps you can make the AI in our games super dumb for us. ;)[/QUOTE]
I'll remember that if I ever need to go job-hunting. Of course, working in the SoCal aerospace scene with an active Secret security clearance is pretty much a guarantee for lifetime employment these days, but I appreciate the thought. :)

--R.J.

Hopefully whoever publishes it will give the devs time to do everything they want to do with it first and let them finish it up.

I'm a bit surprised Sega is the publisher. But good for them, they need good names to attach their name to so that people get tricked into thinking Sega has gone back to being a good developer.

bread's done
Back