The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

[quote name='jh6269']But did you charge them to your card? That's the key part. I guess if you spent the real $ on your card at the rewards site, then yeah, you have to keep fighting.[/QUOTE]
Of course I did.:roll: I'm a CAG. I'm not stupid.:D

They have changed their tune to a new excuse now though. Now they are saying that I only purchased a camera on their website and that is not "Points Purchased". Uhh, last I checked, the only way you can pay for anything on that website that you do not have enough points for you have to PURCHASE POINTS by clicking on the PURCHASE POINTS button.

This is really becoming a big joke. They refuse to admit they made a mistake and are doing anything they possibly can to get out of a measly 888 points.

It has now gone from, I am wrong to I am right but I didn't do what I said I did. If they cannot tell that I purchased points then their systems are very screwed up considering they hired the people that programed the system.

Made another phone call to them today and the representative fixed the issue in 4 minutes. Why the phone rep last week couldn't do the same or the email representatives couldn't resolve it within the 10 emails it took is beyond me.

At least it is over now.

Just pay attention to your points whenever you have to purchase points on the SonyRewards website and make sure you get your 5 points for each $1 spent. Remember though, this is only if you had to purchase points to pay for the balance if you were short on points. If you purchase something only with points you already had earned you will not get any points for it.

This has been a public service announcement. heh

So when you register movies...it has to be by SONY? Also for registering sony products such as my PS3 how does that work? If I sign up for Sonystyle how does it link to my Sony rewards? Any help would be great! :)

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']What are the "workarounds" the OP mentions to avoid the automatic 1000 point deduction when you register your 10th Sony Blu-Ray movie?[/QUOTE]

I'll just quote myself here

[quote name='jallen']sadly, yes, they pull 1000 points on #10 (they didn't do this at first). And since the bluray $10 gc are totally useless because their BRs are full frickin price, it's a waste of time, but there is a workaround. If you have no points in your bank, they can't pull any of them. This includes "points on hold". So here's the trick, either spend them all before you register #10, 20, 30 (which is easier now and possibly in your favor since they have the PSN $10 vouchers). OR, tie up all your points in daily/weekly giveaways. If they're on hold, the bluray coupon can't take them (and you'll get the coupon anyways). So with the 1000 monthly and 500 daily, and the day it takes for them to give you back your points from the daily, you can put up to 2000 points on hold. Although you should leave 1 point in your bank for them to pull at the 10th, 20th, 30th bluray (i did it with zero in my bank, and they pulled half of the 100 pts i got for #10, which was kinda odd and didn't make much sense). And at #30, you get a 20% off electronics coupon, which is nice, and stacks on the wof/spt 15%, making their prices actually competitive lol. No points after #30 tho. This is how it played out for me like a year ago when i hit #30, they could have changed things since then but i doubt it. Coupons are still good too, even after a year.[/QUOTE]

sorry if it's been mentioned but how do I find the product numbers on games to register them on sony rewards?

are they on the disc?
I tired every number I could find

This is a great thread and I appreciate the info. I was wondering if someone can shed some more light into the restrictions of non Sony CC holders? Will I be able to accrue/spend enough points to earn $10 PSN Cards?

[quote name='lllGurulll']Of course I did.:roll: I'm a CAG. I'm not stupid.:D

They have changed their tune to a new excuse now though. Now they are saying that I only purchased a camera on their website and that is not "Points Purchased". Uhh, last I checked, the only way you can pay for anything on that website that you do not have enough points for you have to PURCHASE POINTS by clicking on the PURCHASE POINTS button.

This is really becoming a big joke. They refuse to admit they made a mistake and are doing anything they possibly can to get out of a measly 888 points.

It has now gone from, I am wrong to I am right but I didn't do what I said I did. If they cannot tell that I purchased points then their systems are very screwed up considering they hired the people that programed the system.[/QUOTE]

Escalate!

BTW, I just got an e-mail today from sonyrewards.com:

Now, you can get 5 points per $1 spent when you use your card for any transaction at SonyRewards.com, like purchasing points, Reverse Auction and Deal of the Week purchases.

Key phrase: any transaction.

[quote name='jedolley']This is a great thread and I appreciate the info. I was wondering if someone can shed some more light into the restrictions of non Sony CC holders? Will I be able to accrue/spend enough points to earn $10 PSN Cards?[/QUOTE]

From what I know, non CC holders can only spend 500 points at a time. So you may have 1,000 points, you won't be able to spend them all at once. Anyone care to validate? (I'm not sure b/c I am a card holder).

[quote name='jh6269']From what I know, non CC holders can only spend 500 points at a time. So you may have 1,000 points, you won't be able to spend them all at once. Anyone care to validate? (I'm not sure b/c I am a card holder).[/QUOTE]
I think there have been some changes to that policy as well.

Point Redemption Rules:

• For DVD or CD items listed for less than 2,000 points in the Rewards catalog, members can apply a maximum of 200 Sony Rewards points.
  • For DVD or CD items greater than 2,001 points but less than 10,000, members can apply a maximum of 500 Sony Rewards points.
  • Sony Card members have no point redemption limits.
  • For items that are 10,000 points or less, members are only allowed to apply 500 Rewards points.
  • For items that are 10,001 points or more, members are allowed to apply an unlimited amount of Rewards points.

Well, I don't know how the site works w/o the card, but maybe you can buy a $10 PSN card for $5? Use your 500 points and pay the rest with a CC or checking account?

[quote name='jh6269']Well, I don't know how the site works w/o the card, but maybe you can buy a $10 PSN card for $5? Use your 500 points and pay the rest with a CC or checking account?[/QUOTE]
That is what I would do. Can't beat only paying $5 for a $10 card.

I might be missing something,but where are you guys seeing the option to get a $10 PSN from their redeem section? I see various giftcards none lower than 2500 points and none for psn.....

edit: of course it's under a different section but alas I found it.......

[quote name='xxtheycallmedxx']I might be missing something,but where are you guys seeing the option to get a $10 PSN from their redeem section? I see various giftcards none lower than 2500 points and none for psn.....[/QUOTE]
Now that I think about it, I think that card might only be available to Sony Card holders. When you go to the redeem store, look and see if you have an "Insiders" option. That is where the card would be.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like non cardholders can't even redeem PSN cards anyways. I don't see an "insiders" category anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got my bonus 2500 points today from the January offer of spending 1500 get bonus 2500. 151 from 20k points now. What to get...I do not know.

[quote name='shytface']Edit: Nevermind, looks like non cardholders can't even redeem PSN cards anyways. I don't see an "insiders" category anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's right... sorry guys. I forgot that they put the PSN cards in the insider's section (I got the card in my wishlist so I can order them easier).

For those of you that like to buy gift cards with your points, they just increased the price of them.

The PSN card remains at 1000 points though. Good news.

I just signed up, it sounds like a great program. Thinking about applying for the CC and I was wondering if anyone can explain the differences between the Sony CC and the Playstation CC ... on the surface it seems like the only difference is the conditions for getting the initial $50 credit.

[quote name='JSD']I just signed up, it sounds like a great program. Thinking about applying for the CC and I was wondering if anyone can explain the differences between the Sony CC and the Playstation CC ... on the surface it seems like the only difference is the conditions for getting the initial $50 credit.[/QUOTE]
The only difference is one looks nerdier than the other. ;) Jokes aside, I believe they are the same except the initial credit offer for signing up.

I don't think there is a difference between the two, but AFAICT the PS card you have to buy a PSPGo as the "Qualifying Purchase," and it looks like the Sony Card you have to spend $250 on a single purchase at SonyStyle.com to qualify for the $50 credit.

I'd call the number and speak to the Sony Financial department, they can tell you all you need to know, they're pretty knowledgeable (I called when they had the $300 in credits and asked a bunch of questions, and they answered everything).

One cool thing about this is that if you need a PS3, you can buy it for $300 and get the $50 back, then if you pay some bills, buy some gas for 2 months and charge another $200, you get a second $50. That makes the PS3 only $200, once you get all your credits.

The cool thing is that you'll get 5x the points for the $300, so you'll have 1500 points on your card right off the bat, and you can get a $10 PSN card for free (sweet)!

maybe someone can help me

i am a sony card holder but i cant see the psn cards anywhere, even under the insiders section. if i type in psn in the search field, the only thing that comes up is the psp go. can someone point me in the right direction?

edit: if i go to Redeem -> Insider Specials there is no playstation tab - only Blu-Ray Movies, Electronics, and Music. Did they remove them?

The PSN cards have disappeared before. I ended up buying a $50 card at Best Buy on my Sony Visa and having 5000 pionts deducts by mailing in a form two months ago.

I can confirm through my wishlist that the $10 PSN card is not available. It may come back; it has before.

[quote name='theironunkind']maybe someone can help me

i am a sony card holder but i cant see the psn cards anywhere, even under the insiders section. if i type in psn in the search field, the only thing that comes up is the psp go. can someone point me in the right direction?

edit: if i go to Redeem -> Insider Specials there is no playstation tab - only Blu-Ray Movies, Electronics, and Music. Did they remove them?[/QUOTE]

The Playstation Network Cards have apparently been removed, but don't freak out. Like every other time, I'm sure it is temporary.

man, you should have seen the explosion when they disappeared like a month or two ago. People were outraged for no reason.
I'm sure they will be back up in a few weeks at the latest.

Damn, I knew I should have just purchased the PSN card last week with the free 500 points. Hopefully they come back in stock before April 26th

I don't remember the card completely disappearing from the store last time though. I thought they just said out of stock.

[quote name='SDC']The Playstation Network Cards have apparently been removed, but don't freak out. Like every other time, I'm sure it is temporary.

man, you should have seen the explosion when they disappeared like a month or two ago. People were outraged for no reason.
I'm sure they will be back up in a few weeks at the latest.[/QUOTE]

Has it ever occur to you that it might be the very outrage for no reason that brought the PSN cards back?

Just a thought.

Oh man, I just bought 4 of them last week, glad I acted fast :D

I put them on my wish list so I can find them easier, and this is what the page says:
"Temporarily Out of Stock." Usually, I believe it just says "No Longer Available" if it's not coming back.

[quote name='jh6269']Oh man, I just bought 4 of them last week, glad I acted fast :D

I put them on my wish list so I can find them easier, and this is what the page says:
"Temporarily Out of Stock." Usually, I believe it just says "No Longer Available" if it's not coming back.[/QUOTE]
It says both when I look at it on my wish list.

[quote name='lllGurulll']It says both when I look at it on my wish list.[/QUOTE]

I meant it usually says only No longer available if it's not coming back. I had a few TVs on there when they were doing that "Wish it and Win" sweepstakes, so when I'd go to update my wish list, some of them would say no longer available and wouldn't say temporarily out of stock.

I'm sure they'll be back, I think they run out of codes b/c these aren't actual cards they send out. So they probably have to generate a bunch of unique codes before they can put them back out there.

Wow, I just looked yesterday and they were out of stock... well that's a relief.
C'mon Blue Toad Mystery Files and Blade Kitten, hurry up and get here!

Does anyone have any experince actually ordering products from this? I've only gotten PSN cards thusfar, but I'm debating ordering a memory stick.
Trouble is, I would need it by April 12th.

How long does it generally take to receive stuff, would you guys say?

I ordered a game once and it took a couple weeks. Sorry, can't be more specific. Try the boards that have all the trivia answers at the beginning of this post. They're pretty active ordering things.

hey all first off
1) props to everyone for all the info, keeping this thread alive, and any points or tips, honestly this thread has helped me get up past 5K points in no time
2) i just got approved for the card with a pretty high limit, what do you guys think of the $50 credit back on your card for a new 120GB ps3? They're probably shipping out the new lighter weight ones (phased out a model in early march-ish that weighed 3.2 kg--> 3.0 kg)
Its listed as 343 which is crazy retail, so you would get 5x points for 1715 back plus the 50 they credit your account with in like 2-3 months, so like 67.15 off makes it basically 275 + tax + shipping.. kinda close to the dell deal that sold out last week... worth it?!?!? i got a 60 gig that is starting to freeze sporadically and might want another now rather then later? only 40 days on the new ps3 deal.. thanks to all and happy hunting more cag deals

[quote name='SDC']Does anyone have any experince actually ordering products from this? I've only gotten PSN cards thusfar, but I'm debating ordering a memory stick.
Trouble is, I would need it by April 12th.

How long does it generally take to receive stuff, would you guys say?[/QUOTE]

If I were you, I would buy the memory stick on your Sony/PlayStation visa from Amazon, Best Buy, or any big store that has a good deal. I would then use the credit form under the "Your Account" section on the rewards site, go to the Purchase Credit Form link, fill out the form with the requested info (once you get your memory stick). The crucial part here is to mark the "Type of Request" field as "Bonus Points and Cash Credit." Print the form out and mail it in with a copy of your itemized receipt. Once they process your form, you'll get 3x bonus points, and they'll deduct the exact amount of your purchase from your remaining rewards points and use them to credit your account for that amount.

It takes a while for them to process the form, but if you need your memory stick faster than the credit, it's much better. I ordered Killzone 2 from the rewards site, and it took forever.

[quote name='jh6269']If I were you, I would buy the memory stick on your Sony/PlayStation visa from Amazon, Best Buy, or any big store that has a good deal. I would then use the credit form under the "Your Account" section on the rewards site, go to the Purchase Credit Form link, fill out the form with the requested info (once you get your memory stick). The crucial part here is to mark the "Type of Request" field as "Bonus Points and Cash Credit." Print the form out and mail it in with a copy of your itemized receipt. Once they process your form, you'll get 3x bonus points, and they'll deduct the exact amount of your purchase from your remaining rewards points and use them to credit your account for that amount.

It takes a while for them to process the form, but if you need your memory stick faster than the credit, it's much better. I ordered Killzone 2 from the rewards site, and it took forever.[/QUOTE]

This is just for Sony products right? I've been looking into doing that since I have more than enough PSn credit already.

@jmarano,

I was going to say to get the SonyCard because it has that extra $50 bonus offer, but it looks like that is over (you could have got the PS3 for $225 after all the credits).

The rewards site is pretty cool, so I guess you'll have to weigh that in as a factor of whether you want to buy dell or buy with this card. IMO, you're going to get more in the long run by using the card b/c you'll earn points and get free games and stuff.

One thing I noticed in your post is that you got 5,000 pionts. Now, you realize that you don't qualify for the $50 deal unless you opened a new account--right? And it looks like now, the Sony Card is the one with the $50. The PS card now looks like it only applies to a PSPGo. Did you have those points prior to getting the card? Or did you get your card a long time ago? If it's the latter, you may not be able to get the deal.

[quote name='jh6269']If I were you, I would buy the memory stick on your Sony/PlayStation visa from Amazon, Best Buy, or any big store that has a good deal. I would then use the credit form under the "Your Account" section on the rewards site, go to the Purchase Credit Form link, fill out the form with the requested info (once you get your memory stick). The crucial part here is to mark the "Type of Request" field as "Bonus Points and Cash Credit." Print the form out and mail it in with a copy of your itemized receipt. Once they process your form, you'll get 3x bonus points, and they'll deduct the exact amount of your purchase from your remaining rewards points and use them to credit your account for that amount.

It takes a while for them to process the form, but if you need your memory stick faster than the credit, it's much better. I ordered Killzone 2 from the rewards site, and it took forever.[/QUOTE]

Oh hell, that would actually be a fantastic deal, yeah. I hadn't thought of that at all.

[quote name='ssjmichael']This is just for Sony products right? I've been looking into doing that since I have more than enough PSn credit already.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, only for Sony products. But buying from the rewards site is all Sony products anyway... That's the only drawback of the card, is that you are forced to buy only Sony products (but I guess that's why they give away points daily--they just get the money back in the long run). At least you can get PSN cards and get free games and other stuff off of PSN that you normally wouldn't want to pay real money for (i.e., clothes for your avatar in Home, premium themes, etc.).

Anyway, I'm getting the God of War 3 Ultimate edition for free with my points. I bought it from Amazon for $89.99. So I'll get the $89 x 3 points, plus get the credit for $89 on my card. Pretty nice deal.

[quote name='SDC']Oh hell, that would actually be a fantastic deal, yeah. I hadn't thought of that at all.[/QUOTE]

Well, now you know--and knowing is half the battle ;)

[quote name='CENNY']how are you getting the $89 credit on the card for a game you bought from amazon?[/QUOTE]

Amazon is an authorized retailer. You simply buy with your sony card and submit a form for purchase credit and bonus points or bonus points alone.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Amazon is an authorized retailer. You simply buy with your sony card and submit a form for purchase credit and bonus points or bonus points alone.[/QUOTE]

Right, you fill out the form and choose cash credit + bonus points. Games that are published by Sony count as Sony products.

Ok, I've seen this thread before but I think I'm just getting it . . . so, I have 2300 reward points (from purchases). If I buy a Blu-ray remote on Amazon ($20) with my Sony Card . . . I can get the purchase price back by submitting the form???

Wait, I just found the PSN cards on the reward site . . . and ordered 2 of them . . . interesting, those points were from charges to my card . . . now I have to look at the bonus points from the OP.

[quote name='schultzed']Ok, I've seen this thread before but I think I'm just getting it . . . so, I have 2300 reward points (from purchases). If I buy a Blu-ray remote on Amazon ($20) with my Sony Card . . . I can get the purchase price back by submitting the form???[/QUOTE]

No, they have a separate system for blu rays. First, it must be a sony pictures blu-ray, and you have to register it through your player. You'll get 100 points per, but after 10 (1000), it automatically gets deducted from your account and you get issued a coupon. There are various ways to wiggle out of it doing that.

[quote name='schultzed']Ok, I've seen this thread before but I think I'm just getting it . . . so, I have 2300 reward points (from purchases). If I buy a Blu-ray remote on Amazon ($20) with my Sony Card . . . I can get the purchase price back by submitting the form???[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Make a purchase at an approved retailer (listed on the rewards site) and fill out the form and mail it in w/the receipt; you'll see the credit in a week or two.

Wait, I just found the PSN cards on the reward site . . . and ordered 2 of them . . . interesting, those points were from charges to my card . . . now I have to look at the bonus points from the OP.

The free points are exactly the same as the purchase points. You can use them the same exact way.

No, they have a separate system for blu rays.

He was talking about the Blu-ray remote for the PS3... but that's still good info to know nevertheless.

bread's done
Back