The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

I just used all of my points on the GoW III Ultimate edition. Still hasn't cleared yet. I've also bought a buttload of PSN games with the free points I've accumulated playing the sony rewards games.

Currently there are no PS3 games or accessories I need. I bought a TON of stuff a few months ago from them. Wish they'd add newer stuff ;)

I never order games from them, it's better to find the best deal you can and then send in the receipt and the purchase credit form. Other than that, I order $10 PSN e-cards from them.

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but does the PS3 have to be bought from sonystyle in order to get the credit?

^ Yes, qualifying purchase of $299 or more must be made on sonystyle.com (at least that's the way it was when I took the deal). Just read the fine print below the advertisement on the site, there's usually 1 or 2 footnotes.

FYI the playstation network voucher is now actually listed under playstation instead of the insider specials category.

[quote name='rockboy70']FYI the playstation network voucher is now actually listed under playstation instead of the insider specials category.[/QUOTE]
You still have to be a card holder to see it.

I redeemed the 9500 pts for a $100 Sony Style giftcard. Picked up a PS2 for free. Seems like a reasonable deal since I can pick up some of the best games of all time, that were PS2 exclusive. Also, since Sony mind-numbingly elected to do away with backwards compatibility in the PS3, that saves me from having to consider getting one of those.

Finally got my purchase credit for my GoW III UE. 8995 points used and got 180 bonus points for buying on Amazon. Took about 1 month to get it.

[quote name='horns456']I signed up just when the slim came out for $299 with the $300 credits. I only received my first credit, can anyone confirm they recieved the additional credits from Sony?[/QUOTE]

Yep, I got the additional credits once I spent the amount specified in the first 6 months.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up I checked my e-mail today and Chase Bank/Sony Card sent me a promotional offer where I could receive 1500 bonus points just for adding an authorized user to my Sony Card account.

Stolen from Ruth on the wheel of fortune board.

Use MD5000 code when purchasing a camera from sony rewards, that takes off 5000 points (50 bucks). If you do the daily trivia/wheel of fortune, that's a nice 15 percent discount that subtracts BEFORE the -5000 points.

Bottom line, DSC W330 cybershot camera for 9449 points (costs $150ish on other sites), DSC W310 camera for 7749 points ($120). I don't know anything about cameras, so these could suck badly but I did some price research and this is a nice deal value wise.

This is usable for any camera in the catalog, but obviously you get the best value for taking 50 dollars off the $120 or $150 dollar camera rather than the $300 dollar one.

I actually went to Best Buy to look at cameras (our old 8.1 MP Kodak Easyshare was stolen by the carwash people), and I liked the W350 and H55. And then I see the camera promo on the Sony forum after watching Zombieland (random info). I can basically get the H55 ($250 at Best Buy) for $160 right now, or the W330 for the ~$110. Very tempting.

[quote name='Supreme']I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but does the PS3 have to be bought from sonystyle in order to get the credit?[/QUOTE]

I bought mine from dell at the time actually and got credit

[quote name='Unaki']Here's a question. Which points category does the PSN store fall in? 5/3/1? It is owned by SONY.[/QUOTE]

I believe it is 5, however, the price has to be over $10 or $15 (forgot which). I called and asked about that and Sony told me that you can get points, but there's a minimum amount.

[quote name='jh6269']^
Shoot, my wife is already an authorized user. $15 is pretty damned sweet, congrats![/QUOTE]

yup

Has anyone tried requesting a purchase credit for non-Sony Blu-rays? I saw an earlier post saying only Sony Blu-rays will work, but aren't all Blu-rays technically a Sony product since they get licensing fees for the technology?

Thanks in advance.

Can a card be linked to more than one Sony Rewards account at a time? Anyone willing to link their card to my account so I can spend my points? I'll give a $10 PSN code for your trouble lol.

[quote name='ndmaynard']Has anyone tried requesting a purchase credit for non-Sony Blu-rays? I saw an earlier post saying only Sony Blu-rays will work, but aren't all Blu-rays technically a Sony product since they get licensing fees for the technology?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I just did Ghost in the Shell Blu rays and received my credit. It is ANY blu-ray, PS1, PS2, PS3, or PSP game as long as they are new. (YMMV if they are used.)

[quote name='shytface']Can a card be linked to more than one Sony Rewards account at a time? Anyone willing to link their card to my account so I can spend my points? I'll give a $10 PSN code for your trouble lol.[/QUOTE]

yeah let me just give you my CC# and we'll get right on that! :applause:

Hey non-card holders, don't get your hopes up, but I noticed that the PSN voucher was now under the "PlayStation" section of the rewards site.

See if you can go to Redeem -> PlayStation -> "PlayStation Network Voucher"

Should be the 4th item in the drop-down list. Since I'm a cardholder, I'm not able to see if it's only there for me, or if it's there for everyone.

Please let us know.

[quote name='jh6269']Hey non-card holders, don't get your hopes up, but I noticed that the PSN voucher was now under the "PlayStation" section of the rewards site.

See if you can go to Redeem -> PlayStation -> "PlayStation Network Voucher"

Should be the 4th item in the drop-down list. Since I'm a cardholder, I'm not able to see if it's only there for me, or if it's there for everyone.

Please let us know.[/QUOTE]
Nope, it's not there. I created a spare account for my gf who eventually got rejected from the cc. :lol:

[quote name='evergoo']Nope, it's not there. I created a spare account for my gf who eventually got rejected from the cc. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, shucks. I was going to have my wife sign up...

I really didn't feel like reading through 44 pages to find this answer, and searching didn't really help. Just wondering, if you DO NOT have the credit card, can you still get free items? Or can you only redeem 500 points on an item? I'm just wondering if it is really worth trying to do this work, just to get a discount on something, rather than something completely free.

[quote name='Catalyst09']I really didn't feel like reading through 44 pages to find this answer, and searching didn't really help. Just wondering, if you DO NOT have the credit card, can you still get free items? Or can you only redeem 500 points on an item? I'm just wondering if it is really worth trying to do this work, just to get a discount on something, rather than something completely free.[/QUOTE]

you can, but you need to grind
non cardholders must use at least 10,000 points at a time. And points expire after a year. You can easily pass the 10,000 point threshold, probably get 20,000 points a year.
But anything that costs less than 10,000 points, you can only use 500 on.

It really isn't. I've been doing it for maybe 6-7 months, and I've gotten roughly 15000 points so far, and I forget every once in awhile to get points. So far, I've gotten 5-7 PSN $10 cards, a DS3, and now a $250 camera for $110 out of pocket (our last camera was stolen, and I was literally out shopping for a camera, and was debating between 2 Sony ones, when I went went home and saw the coupon for 5000 points off).

Just realized that last week I won the 10000 weekly sweepstakes, which I don't even remember entering. Didn't even notice the jump in points until today.

[quote name='blu_yu_away']Just realized that last week I won the 10000 weekly sweepstakes, which I don't even remember entering. Didn't even notice the jump in points until today.[/QUOTE]

Which sweepstakes was it?

Does anyone know at what times the things reset each day? Is the Jeopardy final category on a different time than everything else? It seems like it is still unavailable from the previous day when I can do the rest of the stuff again, I guess because it can't become available until some time after the episode airs. So what schedule is it on vs. the other stuff? Thanks for any help!

the Jeopardy resets at a weird am time of like 2-3 am EST for some reason.... i think i tried looking that up before.... oh and i finally got my 40in LCD 1080 tv that I won on 3/27/2010, i'm not griping or complaining, but expect like 4-8weeks for delivery of any items.. and they say to look for a 1090IRS form for winning a prize, but I havn't received it so i dunno, i'll probably get it in 3 months :p

[quote name='jh6269']Which sweepstakes was it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='cusoman']Yeah, not familiar with that either, do tell![/QUOTE]

Well we at least know how he won...

[quote name='jh6269']Which sweepstakes was it?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Well we at least know how he won...[/QUOTE]
To be honest I don't know how I won.. I don't remember using any points or putting any on hold. I never received any message or notification of winning. The only reason I know is in my points history it says. "Jeopardy! Weekly Sweepstake Winner (Sony Card holder)" for 10,000 points. From that, I am thinking it must be the Jeopardy weekly tournament sweepstakes.

[quote name='blu_yu_away']To be honest I don't know how I won.. I don't remember using any points or putting any on hold. I never received any message or notification of winning. The only reason I know is in my points history it says. "Jeopardy! Weekly Sweepstake Winner (Sony Card holder)" for 10,000 points. From that, I am thinking it must be the Jeopardy weekly tournament sweepstakes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you play the weekly Jeopardy Tournament, all those points you accrue become entries.

Congrats :)

[quote name='scowlpic42']
Does anyone know at what times the things reset each day? Is the Jeopardy final category on a different time than everything else? It seems like it is still unavailable from the previous day when I can do the rest of the stuff again, I guess because it can't become available until some time after the episode airs. So what schedule is it on vs. the other stuff? Thanks for any help! [/QUOTE]

I've figured it out, I play it around 5PM or 6PM (my time is central time). Jeopardy you play Tuesdays through Saturday (then play the Weekly Tournament after 12 PM for the 200 points). Then, Monday - Friday is the Wheel of Fortune.

Each evening, I go to this website for the answers, in particular the Wheel of Fortune Wheel Watchers thread. "Sunshine" posts the daily answers. So you just find the one for that day and fill out the stuff.

http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=19

[quote name='jmarano7836']oh and i finally got my 40in LCD 1080 tv that I won on 3/27/2010, i'm not griping or complaining, but expect like 4-8weeks for delivery of any items.. and they say to look for a 1090IRS form for winning a prize, but I havn't received it so i dunno, i'll probably get it in 3 months :p [/QUOTE]

Cool, I guess getting a free TV is worth the wait :D

bah, I just do em in the morning before they all reset from the previous day. A bowl of cereal, CAG, email, and rewards site. That's my morning :D

[quote name='Zmonkay']bah, I just do em in the morning before they all reset from the previous day. A bowl of cereal, CAG, email, and rewards site. That's my morning :D[/QUOTE]

That's my after work rewind routine, minus the cereal =P

Jeopardy is at midnight PST (so 3am EST).
Wheel of Fortune is at 2pm PST (so 5pm EST)
Sony Pictures Television is at 9pm PST (so 12am EST).

At least that is what is seems to be for me. If you pick a certain time every day and try to consistently update then, you should be fine. I try to do everything after 12am PST each day, but am not always able to do so.

If anyone is interested in a deal for the Sony Card, I found this:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=srjpc

You get 5,000 bonus points ($50 value) after a purchase of $149 or more and 10,000 bonus points ($100 value) if you spend more than $500 in each of the first two months. This is probably a better deal depending on your spending habits than the current Playstation Card offer, which is $50 card credit with a purchase of a PS3 $249 or more and the standard Sony Card offer, which is a $50 card credit after a purchase of $199 or more.

Those are here for reference: http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=sr50

Sorry if this is old news, just wanted to share.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']If anyone is interested in a deal for the Sony Card, I found this:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=srjpc

You get 5,000 bonus points ($50 value) after a purchase of $149 or more and 10,000 bonus points ($100 value) if you spend more than $500 in each of the first two months. This is probably a better deal depending on your spending habits than the current Playstation Card offer, which is $50 card credit with a purchase of a PS3 $249 or more and the standard Sony Card offer, which is a $50 card credit after a purchase of $199 or more.

Those are here for reference: http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=sr50

Sorry if this is old news, just wanted to share.[/QUOTE]

Read the fine print also. I think you HAVE to spend over $149 on your first purchase, or all of it is void. At least, that's what I gathered from Sunshine on the forum with the answers.

Just for bragging sake, Shadow of the Collassus was on there last week. I just got a PS2 cause I never had one and wanted to play some old games, also through rewards points. They fulfilled S of the C, so I got in just in time. Was saving for GOW2, but looks like that's no longer available now too. Doh.

So far:
2 free CDs
PSP silver Jak Bundle
PS2
Killzone PSP
Shadow of the Collossus
Patapon
Countless $10 PSN cards

This has worked out nicely.

Quick note, in addition to the two games I mentioned being out now, looks like all PS2 games are out, and only 2 PSP games are available. They must really be scaling back again. Guess the purchase credit may be the best way for the future.

[quote name='Ocajavati']Speaking of purchase credit...

60 day mark today and still not processed. Sigh.[/QUOTE]

i'd give them a call, they say up to two billing cycles. They've been pretty responsive to emails/calls in the past for me.

but speaking of that, that might actually work out for me. I bought something off amazon to use a purchase credit for, sent that in last week, but then just redeemed all my points on the camera deal (everyone still has until the end of may to use MD5000 to get $50 off a camera. A W350 for $120 = smokin!). So i have no points for my amazon purchase right now.

In 60 days i'll have like $40, which still isn't enough to cover it, but I'm wondering if they'll give me partial credit with whatever i have in my points bank at that time. Anyone know? Or will they just deny it?

[quote name='Ocajavati']Speaking of purchase credit...

60 day mark today and still not processed. Sigh.[/QUOTE]

It took quite a bit longer for my ps3 to get credited. Check the purchase credit portion of the website and see if it shows there as pending.

Does anyone know if you decide to get the credit card after you've already had a Rewards account going for some time, if the points carry over or does the act of signing up for the card create a new account with a zero balance?

Basically, will my existing points on my non-Sony card account carry over when I apply for the card?

Thanks.

bread's done
Back