The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

speaking of points plus, do purchases from SonyStyle.com automatically get points plus, or do I need to send in a point claim? I already sent in a purchase credit form for a Move I purchased from SonyStyle.com, is that enough?

[quote name='Zmonkay']speaking of points plus, do purchases from SonyStyle.com automatically get points plus, or do I need to send in a point claim? I already sent in a purchase credit form for a Move I purchased from SonyStyle.com, is that enough?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, with sonystyle you automatically get the 5x points, but it won't show up until your next billing cycle.

Nice, thought that was the case, thanks! IIRC, points plus is 10x points at SonyStyle now, isn't it? if so, that's a nice bonus on the Move bundle.

Question: Can I buy licensed Playstation stuff and apply for a purchase credit? I've got my eye on some licensed Madcatz peripherals...

[quote name='Zmonkay']Nice, thought that was the case, thanks! IIRC, points plus is 10x points at SonyStyle now, isn't it? if so, that's a nice bonus on the Move bundle.[/QUOTE]

Can't recall, but I thought the Points Plus was up to 10x points. But whatever the multiplyer, SonyStyle is automatic for bonus points--you just need to fill out the purchase credit if you wish.

[quote name='SDC']Question: Can I buy licensed Playstation stuff and apply for a purchase credit? I've got my eye on some licensed Madcatz peripherals...[/QUOTE]

For sure. I got a redemption for my TE stick, and I think the only issue was I couldn't find a product ID number on the box, but I called them and they looked it up on their system for me.

Took about a month and a half to get my points applied to my amazon ps3 purchase. I did not check to see if I got the automatic 5 point bonus from my amazon purchase, but either way its not a big deal. Been doing the daily accrual of points and only forgot a few times. Not bad for 80 points a day?

hi all,

quick question. i am in the market for a ps3. i just applied for the card and got the free 10,000 points. what would be the next thing i need to do? should i just buy a ps3 on the card? should i buy something else on the card (so i get my 10k points) and then earn more points through the online trivia/etc and THEN buy the ps3 on the card?

I just want to make sure i dont screw myself somehow :/ thanks.

[quote name='nakanenui']Took about a month and a half to get my points applied to my amazon ps3 purchase. I did not check to see if I got the automatic 5 point bonus from my amazon purchase, but either way its not a big deal. Been doing the daily accrual of points and only forgot a few times. Not bad for 80 points a day?[/QUOTE]

I've been waiting since mid-December for a card credit submission and since early January for a bonus points/credit submission. Hope they go through soon. Not sure what "automatic 5 point bonus from Amazon" you're referring to.

[quote name='lolwaut']hi all,

quick question. i am in the market for a ps3. i just applied for the card and got the free 10,000 points. what would be the next thing i need to do? should i just buy a ps3 on the card? should i buy something else on the card (so i get my 10k points) and then earn more points through the online trivia/etc and THEN buy the ps3 on the card?

I just want to make sure i dont screw myself somehow :/ thanks.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what your goal is with the card and the points. Do you want to apply the 10,000 points as $100 towards the purchase or do you just want to use the points to get games/other stuff? It will take you a long time to accrue the full 30,000 points needed for a PS3.

A couple tips- if you buy a PS3 or any other Sony product not at Sony Style or sonystyle.com, you have to fill out a form to get the 5x bonus points. If you want to redeem the points for something not on the rewards site (like if you buy a PS3 at Amazon), you have to fill out a card credit form. The nice part is that you can apply both to a purchase, saving you 4%!

[quote name='jh6269']I tried it with GameStop and it never credited me. I e-mailed them and asked about it and all I got was a reply that said I can't take any other offers with a purchase. I paid full price for the game, so I don't get how it's supposed to work.

When they get the Points Plus to work at B&M stores, I think it will be great, but so far my experience has not been very good with Points Plus.[/QUOTE]
Your post confuses me. I just submitted my first purchase credit forms for LBP2 and Sports Champions through Newegg. They were both on sale LBP2 for $49.99 and SC for $24.99. Are you saying they won't accept my purchase credit forms because these were on sale or something?

[quote name='lllGurulll']Your post confuses me. I just submitted my first purchase credit forms for LBP2 and Sports Champions through Newegg. They were both on sale LBP2 for $49.99 and SC for $24.99. Are you saying they won't accept my purchase credit forms because these were on sale or something?[/QUOTE]

No, if you do it the regular way, it will work. What I did was go into that Points Plus tab and go to gamestop.com through the SonyRewards site. You're supposed to get 10x points if you use that way to buy games (and they don't have to be Sony games, I don't believe). And supposedly, you're not supposed to have to fill out the forms and all that if you use it.

I pre-ordered Yakuza 4 and Vanquish via Points Plus' link to GameStop. When the game came in, I went to GameStop to pay with my SonyCard, then I waited the 60 days for the credit to show up on my account--it never did. When I e-mailed customer service, they told me that I took some kind of discount (which I didn't do). So, in my experience, Points Plus didn't work for me.

You'll be fine, I buy stuff on sale all the time at Amazon and I get credits and bonus points just fine (after submitting the paperwork).

I couldn't find the list of Sony authorized retailer. Does anyone know if EA store is one of the authorized retailers? I would like to submit a purchase credit request.

Thanks.

How long does it take to get your credit on average. I have heard some say they got points as soon as two weeks but the website says it could take up to two months. Whats the average?

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...atalogId=10551&langId=-1&cmsId=sony_retailers

Electronic Arts is listed, so you should be good[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much. I just saved the link. :)

[quote name='lllGurulll']How long does it take to get your credit on average. I have heard some say they got points as soon as two weeks but the website says it could take up to two months. Whats the average?[/QUOTE]

It used to take ~ 6 weeks. I got my credit in ~2-3 weeks for the last few purchases I requested in October- December. But I still haven't received my most recent request even though it has been a month. So, I cannot tell you for sure now.

This might be a stupid question, but I couldn't find anything about it in the OP. I'm interested in this program, but I have no interest in using a credit card. Let's say I sign up for it and throw it in a drawer or something; are there any hidden monthly fees I should know about? In other words, if I don't use the card, is it still free?

[quote name='BitLooter']This might be a stupid question, but I couldn't find anything about it in the OP. I'm interested in this program, but I have no interest in using a credit card. Let's say I sign up for it and throw it in a drawer or something; are there any hidden monthly fees I should know about? In other words, if I don't use the card, is it still free?[/QUOTE]

It is free, as in there is no annual fee. I did the same thing you're planning and only used it to get the bonus points. Recently I've switched it over to my main card since all of my other credit cards have had their rewards programs reduced.

So a few things I'm wondering, do you still get points for registering products? I went to the link on the first message and it re-directed me to Sony Style for which I had to set up a new account because my sony rewards log in wouldnt work. Also on the registration site I cant register my Move controller, bluetooth headset, controller, or my wireless keypad(all of which are first party Sony). The product number wasn't found. Is there a way to link the two or am I at the wrong registration site?

Update: I found the registration page within the sony rewards but the new registration link was broken, sent me a 404 error, I notified them of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to my last message I have an update, they emailed me back and said they no longer give points for registering products. That is why that section of the site is basically dead.
I tried registering a couple BR's last night using BD-Live but didn't get points for those yet even though it still says that you can get points for it. Registered it with the same email i use for sony rewards but no dice yet.

I just got Ghostbusters and registered it with bd-live and got the 100 points. Points showed up in my Sony Rewards account about 2 minutes after I registered.

BluRay Disc Registration Bonus 01/29/2011 100

FYI from mercerik55 at the Wheel Watchers forum
Hi everyone!
Capital one is again offering 20,000 points on first purchase for new cardholders. Make sure you log-on to your Sony Rewards Account first before you click on the link below: http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gatewa...ncode=NI18RNLR
It will lead you to Sony Card. Again, make sure you are log-on to your account first before you click on the link, otherwise it will tell you "It is not available to general public".

Another FYI- I filled out a form on the contact page a couple days and asked about the status of my card credit from early December since it's been more than 8 weeks (it says you have to wait 6 weeks to ask). I got the confirmations today for it and my other outstanding credit/bonus submissions from early January. It's as if there was a hold on the account that was released or something. Something to try if you've been sitting on a submission for more than 6 weeks.

thanks, ill probably try to apply for a sony card tomorrow.
Hows it go again? sign up, get approved, use it to buy whatever, than after a billing cycle i get the 20,000 points aka $200 to redeem on sony stuff?

[quote name='vic_x51']thanks, ill probably try to apply for a sony card tomorrow.
Hows it go again? sign up, get approved, use it to buy whatever, than after a billing cycle i get the 20,000 points aka $200 to redeem on sony stuff?[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's how it works.

Breaking news: Sony Rewards Points Plus now allows you to get bonus points on in-store purchases. Not only big retailers, but also some smaller mom-and-pop type stores. Click on "IN-STORE" on the Points Plus page to see the offers in your area.

Note that these are in addition to the normal bonus points for buying Sony merchandise and/or entertainment. Since Gamestop lists a 2x bonus point option, you could get 7x points for buying Sony games in-store.

Edit: Also, would everyone be okay if I made a new topic with more current information? I don't want to steal the OP's thunder, but I think having the ability to keep the information updated would be helpful. I don't know proper CAG etiquette nor do I want to step on anyone's toes.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']
Edit: Also, would everyone be okay if I made a new topic with more current information? I don't want to steal the OP's thunder, but I think having the ability to keep the information updated would be helpful. I don't know proper CAG etiquette nor do I want to step on anyone's toes.[/QUOTE]

Actually the OP stole someone else's thunder (and mine), so you have my blessing to start a new thread. Just make sure you post the link in this thread and contact a mod to close this one.

The other topic hasn’t been updated in a while, so I thought it was time for a refresh. I will try to keep all of the info in the OP up to date as much as possible since it changes every couple of months.

Sony Card Basic Information
*Credit card is offered through Capital One
*No annual fee
*Current offer is 15,000 points ($150 value) for new cardholders (as of 2/16/11)
Check this link for details:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=omp15kjan
10,000 point ($100) offer is here in case the 150 goes down:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=omp10kdec&campaigncode=NI28AWJU
PM me or post in this topic if it changes, the offers go from 5,000 to 10,000 to 20,000 often

How to get points:
For both card-holders and non-cardholders:
Note that non-cardholders only get half points for the trivia questions and Wish List update

*20 points per day for Final Jeopardy Category and 20 points for Final Jeopardy Answer http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/jeopardy/
Note: do not close your browser in between questions or it will say you already answered and you won’t get the points for the second part
*20 points per day for Wheel Watchers puzzle http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/wof/
*20 points per day for Sony TV trivia http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/spt/
*20 points once or twice per week for Wheel Watchers flashback trivia http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/clubs/wof/wof_25th_anniversary/

Answers to all questions are posted on the Wheel Watchers Forum: http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=19 and at http://www.spearner.com/

*Points plus purchases http://www.sonyrewards.com/elements/widgets/points_plus/
Note: Now includes in-store purchases! Note that these stack with the existing 3x entertainment and 5x Sony purchase bonuses

*Registering Blu-rays with BD live- 100 points each http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/clubs/bluray/disc_registration/
Note that once you register 10 Blu-rays, the 1,000 points are automatically redeemed for a $10 coupon

*40 points for updating your Wish List once per month
Note that you must remove any unavailable item to get the points
Go here to view your point history if you’re not sure if you got credited for any of the above: https://www.sonyrewards.com/en/your_account/point_history

Additional points for cardholders:
*5x points for Sony purchases (use bonus credit form if not purchasing from Sony Style: https://www.sonyrewards.com/en/your_account/purchase_credit_form/bonus)
*3x points for entertainment purchases (dining out and movies)
*1x points for everything else
*5,000, 10,000, or 20,000 bonus points for signing up for the card (check this topic for the current offer first)
Note that these points will show up the day after your statement closes as opposed to when you pay your credit card bill

Rewards:
The prices shown on Sony Rewards are typically MSRP or higher. They recently added sales tax and charge shipping only on Playstation items. Note that if you are not a cardholder you will not be able to view or order Playstation items.

Non-cardholders can only redeem full points for any item that costs 10,000 points or more. This must be a single item, not the total of all items purchased.

When ordering products, they typically show up within 5-7 business days and sometimes come without a shipping confirmation. They do also deliver on Saturdays.

If you buy something Sony-related with your card, you can fill out the credit redemption form instead to have points deducted from your account and the money reimbursed. Apply for the bonus points and get an instant discount!
https://www.sonyrewards.com/en/your_account/purchase_credit_form/credit
This is currently the only way to get PSN vouchers- buy them at a retailer or through the PS3 and then apply for the credit (apply for bonus points, too!).

Why use a card credit?
You'll get your stuff faster, you get an automatic 4% discount* by applying for the bonus points, and Sony has started to deduct sales tax from rewards orders (plus shipping for Playstation items!).
(*you get the 4x extra when applying for bonus points since the original 1x is eliminated by the reduction in your credit card payment)

Here's an example using 8% sales tax
Buy a PS3 game online: $59.99
Apply for card credit: 5,999 points deducted
Apply for bonus credit: 240 points added
Total: 5,759 points deducted

Sony Rewards order: 5,999 points + 480 points sales tax +400 points shipping = 6,879 points deducted

Remember that most items on Sony Rewards are MSRP or over, so if you buy something on sale, the gap is even wider!

Contests:
Every weekday, you can enter 500 points for the Daily Giveaway. Your points are returned around 2:30-3:00pm Eastern the next day if you don't win. For cardholders, you can substitute any item up to $1,000 from your wish list if you win, so keep an expensive TV on there just in case

Verify your SPIN ID every weekday for a chance to win a big prize https://www.sonyrewards.com/en/clubs/wof/spin_id_verification/

On the second Monday of every month you can enter 1,000 points for the Monthly Dream Prize. Your points are also returned if you don't win a few days later. For cardholders, you can substitute any combination of items from your Wish List up to $10,000 if you win, so keep a few expensive items on there!

Information for current Chase card holders (to be phased out in 3/2011)
You will receive a Capital One card in March to replace your existing Chase card. YMMV on signing up for the new card with an existing account for bonus points- Sony reps have been giving out different info. You can only have one card associated with your account so you may have to make a new Sony Rewards account if you’re going to try (just don't activate the Spin ID). See this topic for more information:
http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/showthread.php?t=47696&page=6

Dead offers:
Jeopardy Weekly Tournament- 200 points per week http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/clubs/jeopardy/game/weekly/
Registering products- 500 points each
Jackpot and Gold Status- used to give a 10% or 15% discount on catalog items for answering a certain amount of questions each month

Credits
rushisrighton for making the previous thread
sunshine3331 at the Wheel Watchers Forum for posting the answers every day
jh6269 for answering a lot of questions in the previous thread
ssjmichael for providing an extra link to answers

If you’ve contributed, let me know in this topic or send me a PM and I’ll add you.

Testimonial
Just for fun, here is what I’ve obtained since joining in April of last year and getting the card in September:
dscn1114p.jpg
Not bad for a couple minutes a day of effort!

Previous thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210332

If you have any questions, ask away!

Last edited by a moderator:
Errr.. they just switched over this week I guess as I had a Chase card and now I'm not a "Card Member" anymore. 500 points only on all this stuff and no PS gear? Fuhgetaboutit

Have they really? I can still access the PS stuff on the rewards site. How will the handle the changeover, they can't just force a change to everybody that has a Chase card, can they? I know I don't want one. I rather just have this account be cancel rather than use a Capital One card.

[quote name='QiG']Errr.. they just switched over this week I guess as I had a Chase card and now I'm not a "Card Member" anymore. 500 points only on all this stuff and no PS gear? Fuhgetaboutit[/QUOTE]

I guess I closed my Chase Sony card at the right time then (last week). Just opened a new Amex account with a $100 bonus point offer, and will probably be sticking with that card.

My opinion: these rewards were great back when they had the 200 pts every Saturday thing on top of the regular daily stuff, and had the $10 PSN point coupons, but without them I don't really want the card. And I was never crazy about the idea of getting switched over to Cap One. Good luck to those who do get the card though, hope the rewards system is good to you.

[quote name='vic_x51']hope they bring to 20000 point thing back soon.[/QUOTE]

It was just up last week so hopefully it will come back soon.

I actually like some of the recent changes (aside from the shipping and tax being added). You used to get 45 points/day for the trivia + 200 pts/week Jeopardy tournament+ 20 pts/week Flashback for 445 total. Now you get 80 points/day for trivia + 40 points/week for Flashback for 440 total/week. That's only 5 points less/week for cardholders and the new Points Plus being applied to B&M stores more than compensates.

I just got an email about my Purchase Credit coming in! This is the first time I did it, and it was pretty easy. This was from the Playstation Move Bundle I ordered from Sony Style that came with a free game. I also got a bunch of bonus points (over 500) for going through Points Plus and using my card. It took about a month to get the email from the time I mailed the form to them.
Dear MICHAEL :

Congratulations on your recent qualifying Sony purchase! Your request for a Purchase Credit has been approved for processing.

Please allow approximately 5 business days for a $77.76 credit to be applied to your Sony Card account. Please also be aware that 7,776 Sony Rewards Points have been placed on hold and will be deducted from your account as soon as the credit is applied.
I sold the extra game (The Shoot) so in the end, I'll have paid about $10 out of pocket for the move bundle :D

I

just cashed out for lbp 2 hopefully ill be able to cash out again before they force me to switch cards.

thanks for reminding me to use these points op.
:)

Just a little "undeal" to report. They slashed the holy fuck out of their game rewards redemptions. Went from 16 PSP games to 3. A dozen or so PSP and PS2 accessories to 2 each. As far as I can tell, the PS3 rewards didn't decrease (much), but it might be a sign of things to come. I'm about 20 pts away from getting an audio receiver (amazingly their redemption points price is about $10 less than the cheapest authorized retailer) so I'm hoping to order it tomorrow morning before that goes away too.

So if you were saving up to redeem anything game related, you might want to consider other options, because it's getting hack n slashed hard right now.

[quote name='berzirk']Just a little "undeal" to report. They slashed the holy fuck out of their game rewards redemptions. Went from 16 PSP games to 3. A dozen or so PSP and PS2 accessories to 2 each. As far as I can tell, the PS3 rewards didn't decrease (much), but it might be a sign of things to come. I'm about 20 pts away from getting an audio receiver (amazingly their redemption points price is about $10 less than the cheapest authorized retailer) so I'm hoping to order it tomorrow morning before that goes away too.

So if you were saving up to redeem anything game related, you might want to consider other options, because it's getting hack n slashed hard right now.[/QUOTE]
I noticed that yesterday too. PSP Go is no longer on the site either. First it was non-cardholders changes, now it's cardholders.

Can someone clarify that the Sony card will continue to offer Sony products and others? Seems like a few doom or gloom posts have me thinking they are ditching the rewards.

I have close to $400 in reward points ATM and don't want to be stuck with nothing to buy.

[quote name='horns456']Can someone clarify that the Sony card will continue to offer Sony products and others? Seems like a few doom or gloom posts have me thinking they are ditching the rewards.

I have close to $400 in reward points ATM and don't want to be stuck with nothing to buy.[/QUOTE]

i see no reason to believe that they will stop offering products through sonyrewards.com. So they took off PS2 stuff, that actually makes perfect sense. I'm surprised PS2 stuff is still on there. The only fault they've made recently is they started charging tax, and shipping PS3 stuff. Used to be free ship no tax. Oh, and they removed the 15% off discount for answering wof/spt questions, which actually sucks. But regardless, you can always find better deals outside of the site and do purchase credit.

It's been a while since I've purchased anything and tried to get reward points for it, and when I did use my card for reward points on purchases they were cheap games and I never kept up with the return after I submitted the requests for points.

I'm planning on buying a sony tv with my rewards card and then fill out the points redemtption form and the other credit form, I also have about 7k of rewards points on my account right now.

How will the rewards/credit work for this TV? Are they going to credit my account for the balance after the redemption clears? I guess essentially what I'm asking is if I use my card for the TV, fill out the redemption forms is it basically getting a free tv?

OK, now I'm confused.
1. I thought in March Chase Sony cards were switching over to Capital One. Well, I just got a new card (my Chase doesn't expire until June though)... and it's... still Chase! Huh?

2. I signed up for a Capital One Sony Card when they had a 20,000 bonus point offer, and still haven't gotten the bonus points (~ 2 weeks after activating and using the card, and linking it to a new Sony Rewards account). Anyone else get in on that deal that can share how long their bonus points took to show?

[quote name='Zmonkay']OK, now I'm confused.
1. I thought in March Chase Sony cards were switching over to Capital One. Well, I just got a new card (my Chase doesn't expire until June though)... and it's... still Chase! Huh?

2. I signed up for a Capital One Sony Card when they had a 20,000 bonus point offer, and still haven't gotten the bonus points (~ 2 weeks after activating and using the card, and linking it to a new Sony Rewards account). Anyone else get in on that deal that can share how long their bonus points took to show?[/QUOTE]
I got my points as soon as my statement closed.

[quote name='simmias']I got my points as soon as my statement closed.[/QUOTE]

ahhh, thanks. That actually makes sense that they wouldn't give you the points until you actually payed the statement, lol.

bread's done
Back