The End of Borders Bookstore: It's now over :_(

Anyone know if their red/blue sticker books have been cut again? They were 25/30% off last time I went in, and there are a bunch of those books that I'd like to have for 50% off.

[quote name='dabamus']Blus are finally at 60[/QUOTE]

And are still overpriced.

I went in wanting to get a few Disney blus and maybe 1-2 more. When comparing them to Amazon, even after the discount, I was saving 3-4 bucks at most. By the time you figure tax, you might save a buck or two each.

I passed on it.

[quote name='ROB64']Anyone know if their red/blue sticker books have been cut again? They were 25/30% off last time I went in, and there are a bunch of those books that I'd like to have for 50% off.[/QUOTE]

The blue was 50% last time I went (Sunday/Monday).

Has anyone taken a look at the graphic novel selection? I might head in now that things are at least 50% off but I'd expect that whole section to be cleaned out.

Waiting for paperbacks and other fiction to drop in the 60-80% off range. Went to ours earlier thsi week. Things were at 40-60% and still surprisingly plenty left.

DVDs horribly over priced even at the 40% off.

[quote name='sotc1988']Has anyone taken a look at the graphic novel selection? I might head in now that things are at least 50% off but I'd expect that whole section to be cleaned out.[/QUOTE]

50% off still. They had a lot left in my store, but nothing I was looking for specifically.

[quote name='sotc1988']Has anyone taken a look at the graphic novel selection? I might head in now that things are at least 50% off but I'd expect that whole section to be cleaned out.[/QUOTE]
This past weekend i picked up a The Flash collection. It was $2-3 cheaper than Amazon.

Graphic novels are just not that popular, they looked totally untouched in the store I checked out last week. I'd say it's worth a look for sure.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Graphic novels are just not that popular, they looked totally untouched in the store I checked out last week. I'd say it's worth a look for sure.[/QUOTE]

I thought graphic novels were going to be one of the first things to go. I went early during the sale and the graphic novel area were mobbed but the next time I went it was dead and plenty in stock

[quote name='sotc1988']Has anyone taken a look at the graphic novel selection? I might head in now that things are at least 50% off but I'd expect that whole section to be cleaned out.[/QUOTE]I cleaned up on the blackest night sets got 5 outta 7, the green lantern stuff is alot of newly released trades same with batman stuff. Get paid today will go grab some of the $10-$18(before discount) stuff.

yea Graphic Novels are practically gone by now...

For some reason they are keeping the BR box sets behind the counter. All monopoly's are GONE.....unless you want some twilight dvd board game. :O Managed to pick up the soundtracks to Knight and Day and the Crazies.... almost bought GoW 3 soundtrack, but since it was posted by the devs a few months back I already have it.

Also almost bought V season 1 on blu for 20 bucks. Was thinking of giving it to my friend.

ALL STAR WARS STUFF IS GONE! :(

Well, I just got the 60-80% email as I anticipated I would this morning.

I should be able to hit up 4 Borders stores today during BBV/BB/etc runs.

I'll take my ipad and post if i see any good further discounts. (eg. if blus are to 70% or something)

[quote name='dabamus']Well, I just got the 60-80% email as I anticipated I would this morning.

I should be able to hit up 4 Borders stores today during BBV/BB/etc runs.

I'll take my ipad and post if i see any good further discounts. (eg. if blus are to 70% or something)[/QUOTE]

yep got that email too.... I wonder if I should go the extra distance to another borders?

yeah deciding if I wanna go check out my local store, most people are idiots and once they see xx% off they pay whatever it takes!!

Want to see if they got any good blus left, but even at 60% off thats probably what 90% of amazon.....hmmm might have to get some unlimited chicken wings at buffalo wild wings to make it worth the trip :)

I'm going to be heading into my store today. I was in there yesterday and they still had a surprisingly large number of graphic novels left and this would be the extra nudge that made me buy them. I'll probably go ahead and grab the DC Encyclopedia, too.

Anyone been to the store in NYC (34th st.) lately? Good selection? I want to go but I don't want to waste train fare if it's crap. I fear it'll be a total madhouse too based on the location

Went today while doing some trading at best buy, got mad men season 2 and la confidential for 21. Really needed to get mad men so this is a good deal imo

I went to the one in Sterling... A lot of good stuff still there. I picked up a few things that was Defiantly cheaper than amazon. Picked up Glee Season 1 for my gf for 21 bucks...almost bought RE: Afterlife 3d for I think 11, but released I don't have a 3d TV/3d BR nor do I need a non steelbook copy of this movie.

I was hoping for more movie soundtracks but they are too heavily mixed right now and I couldn't find anything worth getting. Almost bought cloverfield BR.

I did pick up a flash book for a good price, a sting cd as well. All Heroes/BSG BR's are gone :( All star wars stuff is gone as well...awww..

I stopped by my closest one last night again and lo and behold the LCD HDtv from the wall that I was asking about for 2-3 weeks was SOLD. Motherless fuckin' lazy pricks couldn't give me a straight answer when/if it was gonna be sold or not or I'd have been there day and date.

I FINALLY found the 'fixture manager' and asked and he said if he had to guess he'd say that the tv was sold for $40-50.:bomb: Motherfucker. He also remarked that the dvd portion of it was burnt out, which I really wouldn't have cared about anyway, but it's just so fuckin' infuriating since I made a couple treks there to specifically ask about the tv and kept getting denied a real answer for so long.:roll:

So while there I asked about their kiosk computers and specifically if I could just buy the monitors to have a spare for whenever mine goes kablooie. He said he didn't wanna break em up at this point and that each kiosk would run $150, but that the hard drives would be wiped so I'd need an OS install disc to get them functional. A buck and a half a lil much for me to wanna spend when I'm not even likely gonna use the computer part of it.

So I guess I'll wait till last week of biz, see if anything decent is left and 90% off by then and grab some books or something. Otherwise this sale has been worthless to me, as all of the closing sales have been in recent years pretty much.

I went and picked up 10 books today. The graphic novel section was very picked over but I managed to get The Walking Dead HC Book 6 and The Covers. The Blu-rays were pretty much gone except for movies I've never heard of or cared about and Men Who Stare At Goats.

I must say I was impressed with how friendly the employees were. If I knew I would be out of a job in less than 2 weeks I wouldn't give a shit.

Plenty of good books left at the 2 Borders I go to in Connecticut. The graphic novels were all picked over with the exception of a lot of the same junk. I'm more of an American History buff, so I got some good stuff in that section, and a few books from the humor section. The reference section was mostly cleaned out, as was the Pro Wrestling books. Even at 60% off, the Blu Rays and DVDs are not a deal, and all that's left is junk. The books are definitely a value at 60% off however.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I went and picked up 10 books today. The graphic novel section was very picked over but I managed to get The Walking Dead HC Book 6 and The Covers. The Blu-rays were pretty much gone except for movies I've never heard of or cared about and Men Who Stare At Goats.

I must say I was impressed with how friendly the employees were. If I knew I would be out of a job in less than 2 weeks I wouldn't give a shit.[/QUOTE]

Most of the employees have already gotten jobs lined up....kinda sucks though for the Seattle's best coffee girl........she's out of a job period...you would think they would keep her around to serve coffee during the close out...after all it's not her fault Borders tanked.

Don't worry some cool shit will eventually show up when you least expect it... if I recalled I got the art of RE5 for like 17 bucks....

it's too bad all the star wars books are GONE..they raped that section big time.

Graphic novels and guides were picked pretty well. I was lucky enough to pick up the two DOTM prequel graphic novels for 7.xx each. Not bad.

Bought two graphic novels and visited two Borders. I was really only looking or comics and the selection was very bare. Pretty big crowds though.

[quote name='sotc1988']Bought two graphic novels and visited two Borders. I was really only looking or comics and the selection was very bare. Pretty big crowds though.[/QUOTE]

LOL I am waiting for someone to post a sign from their local borders saying "Please do not steal the Manga.."...that's some funny shit...who really wants to steal Manga anyways?

Actually while I was looking at manga the other day, some weird kid came over and stole the "graphic novels 60% off" sign. Yup, just yanked it off the shelf and shoved it in his shirt. Very strange.

I bought a few books myself, at 60% off most $10 manga the price easily beats Amazon even with their usual buy 3 get 1 promo. There's one particular series they had a lot of volumes of that I'll hopefully going back for when the prices drop again..

I saw this simpson's guide for the first 20 years (some big red book thingy) for 150 with 70% off.... Honestly if I where a big fan of the series, it would have been a no brainer to buy at around 40ish since Amazon has it for 90 ish.

All good Graphic Novels at Manassas are gone... I was thinking of hitting fairfax, but I am pretty sure that's almost bone dry.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I saw this simpson's guide for the first 20 years (some big red book thingy) for 150 with 70% off.... Honestly if I where a big fan of the series, it would have been a no brainer to buy at around 40ish since Amazon has it for 90 ish.

All good Graphic Novels at Manassas are gone... I was thinking of hitting fairfax, but I am pretty sure that's almost bone dry.[/QUOTE]
I bought one. :drool:

:lol: Wow. Just wow. I still wonder what caused the shift in peoples' mindsets to think of these 60-80% off prices as good deals when in fact it just about brings most of these items down to what they should truly be priced at.

I can only imagine how barren my local Borders store is by now with this long holiday weekend and people being out and about. Hopefully I can still snag something halfway decent for $1 apiece on the last day of biz.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: Wow. Just wow. I still wonder what caused the shift in peoples' mindsets to think of these 60-80% off prices as good deals when in fact it just about brings most of these items down to what they should truly be priced at.

I can only imagine how barren my local Borders store is by now with this long holiday weekend and people being out and about. Hopefully I can still snag something halfway decent for $1 apiece on the last day of biz.[/QUOTE]

Sale means sale, right? Look how many people impulsively bought DVDs they didn't even want during the Deep Discount 20% sale of years past just because they thought they were getting a great deal. People weren't even doing price comparisons and just buying blindly from DD, sometimes for more than they could get certain titles elsewhere.

And there are the stories of brick and mortar stores who seem to be "going out of business" for an awfully long time.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Sale means sale, right? Look how many people impulsively bought DVDs they didn't even want during the Deep Discount 20% sale of years past just because they thought they were getting a great deal. People weren't even doing price comparisons and just buying blindly from DD, sometimes for more than they could get certain titles elsewhere.

And there are the stories of brick and mortar stores who seem to be "going out of business" for an awfully long time.[/QUOTE]
I guess if you're an uninformed normal consumer and think $30 is a decent price to pay for Blu-Rays or larger books, then it's a hell of a deal to get a percentage off of those high prices.

But for the average CAG to be hoarding shit at these 'sale' prices is kinda funny to me. Unless it's something that's rare and has value above and beyond what I'm (over)paying for it, then I'll just wait till the 90% off pricing hits next week and scoop up some leftovers or better yet go the last day of biz towards the end of the night for $1 items.

From the looks of the shelves when I was there last week there will be plenty of stuff left to grab up at $1 each on the final day.;)

But I've always done price comparisons store versus store and sale versus sale to make sure I'm getting the best deal, even before I was on CAG.

As for the stores going out of biz perpetually that never do, we had a furniture store around here that did that for YEARS and YEARS. Then they finally went out of biz at their long time location.....only to open up in a new location about 2 miles away from there a year or two later.:lol:

so is 70% off going to be the lowest amount for mangas this Thursday or will there be further drops during the last 2 days.

Several months ago (during the previous round of closing sales), everything went down to 90% off for the two stores near me (one of the stores actually went down to 95% off on the very last day, but not the other one - at least not in the morning).

There still seems to be a decent selection at the Borders in Colorado Mills. I was looking over some books and thinking about it. Most were at 70 percent off but lo and behold...Amazon still had them cheaper! I don't have a smart phone to check but I decided to take my chances and leave empty handed. They had Metroid the Other M, the guide there but then again, Amazon. I was hoping to find some Garfield books but I think almost all of those were gone at 10 percent off...=(

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']There still seems to be a decent selection at the Borders in Colorado Mills. I was looking over some books and thinking about it. Most were at 70 percent off but lo and behold...Amazon still had them cheaper! I don't have a smart phone to check but I decided to take my chances and leave empty handed. They had Metroid the Other M, the guide there but then again, Amazon. I was hoping to find some Garfield books but I think almost all of those were gone at 10 percent off...=([/QUOTE]
FYI: If you can find the Metroid: Other M guide at Best Buy it'll ring up a penny there.;) Is that cheap enough for ya?:D

I stopped at my closest Borders today and was told that since Books-A-Million is taking over this location that any further shelving/fixture sales were squashed. Apparently they want the shelves in there so all they gotta do is put their shit on em when they move in before the end of the fall.:whistle2:#

Just about everything was 60-80% off today, with most books and DVD/Blu-Rays being 60% off. Only DVD sets I might still consider buying if they last till the end of next week are Venture Bros. Season 4 Volume 1 and Metalocalypse Season 1.

Both copies of the Darksiders $40 artbook were gone when I checked today and most of the guides they had last week were either MIA or likely someone put em back in the wrong section(as there were DVD's n other shit in the wrong sections too:whistle2:#).

They couldn't gimme a clear definition(as usual) as to when the final final day would be, so I'd know when to come up n scout out what's left for that final day $1 rush on leftover shit that usually happens.:roll:

Oh well. I'll just pop in next week n hope for the best and by best I mean tons of shit leftover still in the DVD/gaming section.:booty:

[quote name='ITDEFX']I saw this simpson's guide for the first 20 years (some big red book thingy) for 150 with 70% off.... Honestly if I where a big fan of the series, it would have been a no brainer to buy at around 40ish since Amazon has it for 90 ish.

All good Graphic Novels at Manassas are gone... I was thinking of hitting fairfax, but I am pretty sure that's almost bone dry.[/QUOTE]

I found the Simpsons Guide at a Barnes and Noble in the clearance section for $25. Borders had none yesterday when I went.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: Wow. Just wow. I still wonder what caused the shift in peoples' mindsets to think of these 60-80% off prices as good deals when in fact it just about brings most of these items down to what they should truly be priced at.[/QUOTE]

Some things are good deals at 60-80% off, and some things aren't. I've gone to Borders a couple of times through the sale, and each time, I've spent most of my time in the store with my phone in hand, checking prices against Amazon, etc. In some cases, the price at even just 40% off represented a reasonable savings for an item that I knew wouldn't still be there if I left it for further drops. In others, 70% off wasn't enough to make the price a significantly better deal than I could get on Amazon at any time.

Why I don't see more people checking prices while they're shopping in these stores (or, really, any stores) is beyond me. It just makes sense, now that the internet makes that info so readily available.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I can only imagine how barren my local Borders store is by now with this long holiday weekend and people being out and about. Hopefully I can still snag something halfway decent for $1 apiece on the last day of biz.[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah, I wouldn't count on anything on the last day. I stopped at one store on the last day of the last round of store closings, and there was so little there (and none of it even vaguely worthwhile) that I kind of wondered why they even bothered opening.

[quote name='ITDEFX']damn... that's a steal!

However only for simpsons fans.[/QUOTE]

Me and my kid are both Simpsons fans. We will both enjoy it. Could not pass it up for that price.

btw furniture seems to be at 50% off tagged prices (with a 10% buyers premium). Too bad I need a truck for some of these 10 foot shelves because that's not going to fit in my car.

[quote name='arcane93']Some things are good deals at 60-80% off, and some things aren't. I've gone to Borders a couple of times through the sale, and each time, I've spent most of my time in the store with my phone in hand, checking prices against Amazon, etc. In some cases, the price at even just 40% off represented a reasonable savings for an item that I knew wouldn't still be there if I left it for further drops. In others, 70% off wasn't enough to make the price a significantly better deal than I could get on Amazon at any time.

Why I don't see more people checking prices while they're shopping in these stores (or, really, any stores) is beyond me. It just makes sense, now that the internet makes that info so readily available.

Heh, yeah, I wouldn't count on anything on the last day. I stopped at one store on the last day of the last round of store closings, and there was so little there (and none of it even vaguely worthwhile) that I kind of wondered why they even bothered opening.[/QUOTE]
Seeing as how I've even been too cheap to spring for an actual cell phone, checking anything for value versus normal price would require me jotting down what I'm looking at and then going home to check the value before coming back the next day.:cry::whistle2:#

But just going by how sparse some of the shelves already were when I was there a day or two ago I have a feeling that by the end of this week there will only be the bargain book shelf stuff left.:roll:

Either way I stand by waiting till the final day or two to go back. If there's nothing left, then oh well. But even $8 for a dvd set(that's normally $20 in most stores) is a bit overpriced for my liking.:whistle2:#

[quote name='arcane93']
[/QUOTE]

I know why I don't - my cell service is basically just unlimited text / email for $20/mo. Saving $60-80 per month vs. a smartphone package from at&t or verizon saves me WAY more than I would save from the very few clearance sales. :) For ordinary retail stuff I can just buy and return if it turns out it wasn't actually a good deal.

That said, when fiction was 30% off I eyed two Roberto Bolano books, but knew that they were priced way too high compared to Amazon. (they were both hardcover... i bought the skating rink in paperback bc I knew its price was about the same as on amazon) I thought I'd wait and hope for the best, but I returned last Thursday and searched everywhere for them. :whistle2:( No luck.

I did get Sputnik Sweeheart (which was great!) and A Visit From the Goon Squad (will read next) for less than $5 each. I think I also had another fiction book (can't remember what - disquiet by julia leigh maybe?), a guide to LA architecture for $9.50, 2046 dvd for $6, and raising arizona dvd for $3.

Anyway, I was overall very pleased. I feel satisfied, and doubt that I will go back.

bread's done
Back