The End of Borders Bookstore: It's now over :_(

Alright guys. Tommerow would be the final 7 days? So mangas will be 70% off? I want to collect all of the released case closed volumes. My place still has all of them! Go for it tommerow or wait for the final day?

[quote name='snowmint']Alright guys. Tommerow would be the final 7 days? So mangas will be 70% off? I want to collect all of the released case closed volumes. My place still has all of them! Go for it tommerow or wait for the final day?[/QUOTE]

I don't think discounts are getting any lower than where they are at currently. Anything that doesn't sell at this point gets boxed up and liquidated to discount chains like Books A Million.

According to the borders facebook page certain stores will close on certain dates...but for some reason the link doesn't work so I have no idea what this list is.

[quote name='spmahn']I don't think discounts are getting any lower than where they are at currently. Anything that doesn't sell at this point gets boxed up and liquidated to discount chains like Books A Million.[/QUOTE]

Hm... Maybe, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's one more drop, and then an "everything $1 or less" or something like that on the last day. That's what the liquidators who closed Tower Records did, anyway. (Actually, it got as low as "everything 25 cents" at Tower Records -- and since I like less mainstream music, I found a lot of good stuff left. :D Doubt I'll be that lucky at Borders.)

[quote name='ITDEFX']According to the borders facebook page certain stores will close on certain dates...but for some reason the link doesn't work so I have no idea what this list is.[/QUOTE]

I managed to get to the link and it's weird... Despite the fact that at least the store that I've been to recently (Sterling, VA) had a (on that day -- I think it was Sunday) "last 10 days" sign up (which I would assume means they know the closing date), they still list the closing date for that store as "TBD". Actually, it looks like most of the real stores are still listed as "TBD", and only the mall stores (Borders Express or whatever) have dates.

Damn, I'm a genius.

Prices drop to 70-90% tomorrow. Git 'r' dun!

Proof:
20110908.jpg

[quote name='arcane93']Hm... Maybe, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's one more drop, and then an "everything $1 or less" or something like that on the last day. That's what the liquidators who closed Tower Records did, anyway. (Actually, it got as low as "everything 25 cents" at Tower Records -- and since I like less mainstream music, I found a lot of good stuff left. :D Doubt I'll be that lucky at Borders.)

I managed to get to the link and it's weird... Despite the fact that at least the store that I've been to recently (Sterling, VA) had a (on that day -- I think it was Sunday) "last 10 days" sign up (which I would assume means they know the closing date), they still list the closing date for that store as "TBD". Actually, it looks like most of the real stores are still listed as "TBD", and only the mall stores (Borders Express or whatever) have dates.[/QUOTE]

fuck it's happened every time a store goes out of business the last day...I HAVE TO WORK THAT DAY! :(

Now on that list did you see Fairfax or Manassas?

[quote name='arcane93']Hm... Maybe, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's one more drop, and then an "everything $1 or less" or something like that on the last day. That's what the liquidators who closed Tower Records did, anyway. (Actually, it got as low as "everything 25 cents" at Tower Records -- and since I like less mainstream music, I found a lot of good stuff left. :D Doubt I'll be that lucky at Borders.)[/QUOTE]
That's what the liquidators do at virtually EVERY sale like this. On the last day anything that's left at the time they're closing the store on that final day goes super cheap and then it's game on.;)

Oh, for any dumbass gamers on here: some stores have copies of Beatles Rock Band (software only) for $60 - discount. Should be adown to almost the new price at GS. (GS had it new for $10 last I heard)

[quote name='ITDEFX']fuck it's happened every time a store goes out of business the last day...I HAVE TO WORK THAT DAY! :(

Now on that list did you see Fairfax or Manassas?[/QUOTE]

They were both listed as "TBD" as well. The Fair Oaks Mall store (Borders Express) is listed as closing on Thursday (tomorrow, presumably).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's what the liquidators do at virtually EVERY sale like this. On the last day anything that's left at the time they're closing the store on that final day goes super cheap and then it's game on.;)[/QUOTE]

Heh, like I said before, I stopped in to one of the stores on the last day during the last round of closings, and I couldn't find a single thing that I even wanted at all. So, uh, good luck with that. ;)

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, like I said before, I stopped in to one of the stores on the last day during the last round of closings, and I couldn't find a single thing that I even wanted at all. So, uh, good luck with that. ;)[/QUOTE]
Oh I know. I was to the Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery stores as they closed and by the last week the selection they had was abysmal. Unless you wanted movies starring the 4th cousin twice removed of A or B list Hollywood stars there was nothing left.

But I'll take my chances, I guess.:booty:

Alright! I got 22 Case Closed books and a Movie 1 that OOP for $78! When I went to another borders for volumes that I'm missing they had already sold even though last week they were still there so I got lucky mines was raided yet.

Picked up two awesome cookbooks for 70% off. My store had a surprising amount left. Blu's were 80% off, but I still thought they were too much. Heh.

Went to a store that is closing on Saturday and it was basically empty, except for religion, politics, and manga. I didn't find anything but my girlfriend found 4 books. They were also doing buy 8 items get an extra 15% so she bought 4 rolls of ribbon for something like $.25 each and save a couple extra dollars.

Just came back from Fairfax.... Fairfax has a lot of good shit in stock...guess that's where the warehouse dumped all the good stuff...

Picked up
The Sounds of Star Wars x2
a few Flash books
The Tourist Soundtrack
Green Zone Soundtrack
That Twighlight Trilogy dvd board game for the gf.
and a few other things at 70% off.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Just came back from Fairfax.... Fairfax has a lot of good shit in stock...guess that's where the warehouse dumped all the good stuff...[/QUOTE]

Crap, I was going to head over there after work, but was thinking maybe not with all of the road flooding reports. Maybe I'll try my luck, though. Much left in the way of blu-rays or CDs?

Cookbooks were cleaned out at my local store :)(), and the one book I went in today to get (Pride and Prejudice & Zombies) was gone. I did pick up the Simpsons guide that was posted on the last page though (couldn't resist for $30, just to add to the few other Simpsons books I already have.)

[quote name='arcane93']Crap, I was going to head over there after work, but was thinking maybe not with all of the road flooding reports. Maybe I'll try my luck, though. Much left in the way of blu-rays or CDs?[/QUOTE]

BR's are non-existent. There is a small standing shelf in the middle of the store with several copies of Men who stare at goats, 1 copy of Buried, Hell Boy 2, Scary Movie 3(?) and some other less known titles. They have plenty of DVD's in the magazine section and a fair section of Magazines at 90% off. CD's ...it all depends on what you are looking for. If you are a twilight fan, there is a lot for you at that store.

I have noticed that there is a lot of Twilight SHIT at all stores... seems there was either too much to start with, or something.

I heard some girl telling her mom yesterday in a store to let her know if she sees any vampire books.

Seriously? WTF is up with the vampire shit lately? People bitch and moan about Harry Potter being the work of the devil, but I never hear that about all the vampire shit.

Arcane93...becareful..reports r coming in stating parts of fairfax city is flooded out. Check ur traffic map before going there.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Arcane93...becareful..reports r coming in stating parts of fairfax city is flooded out. Check ur traffic map before going there.[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah, I took one look at the traffic on Google Maps and saw that a large portion of my route there was a black line -- meaning that it wasn't moving at all -- and thought better of it. Fortunately, my route home wasn't too bad. Maybe tomorrow, if things clear up or if I can find a boat. :lol:

My closest store sold the Metalocalypse season 1 DVD set since I was there about 2-3 days ago, but they still have the two Venture Bros. Season 4 part 1 sets they had the other day.

Other than that there's still a bunch of recent guides for games(Hunted: Demon's Forge, Homefront), but nothing that I'd pay $5 for.

Otherwise still bupkiss for me on this 4th(or is it 5th?) trek to this store.

Oh yeah, I saw plenty of guides when I went as well (LA Noire and Deus Ex aplenty) but if it doesn't cost a penny or if I don't get it from a lowball, it doesn't seem worth it anymore. :p

Found the Simpson's World Ultimate Episode Guide at my Borders today for 90% off! Ended up paying $15 for it. I couldn't believe no one grabbed it or asked about it before me. It was just sitting there on the back wall behind the cashiers. Definitely made my day when I picked it up.

[quote name='tenzor']Found the Simpson's World Ultimate Episode Guide at my Borders today for 90% off! Ended up paying $15 for it. I couldn't believe no one grabbed it or asked about it before me. It was just sitting there on the back wall behind the cashiers. Definitely made my day when I picked it up.[/QUOTE]

Now that's a good price for simpson's fans.

[quote name='integralsmatic']well perfect time to go pick up the Empowered Graphic novels that have just been sitting there. I do hope no one picked those up yet.[/QUOTE]

at this point I am pretty sure flippers are going to come in a grab whatever they can so they can put it on ebay/craigslist for a quick profit.

I am disappointed though. The Art of District 9 never came to any of the stores as I would have loved to get my hands on it!

[quote name='ITDEFX']Just came back from Fairfax.... Fairfax has a lot of good shit in stock...guess that's where the warehouse dumped all the good stuff...

Picked up
The Sounds of Star Wars x2
a few Flash books
The Tourist Soundtrack
Green Zone Soundtrack
That Twighlight Trilogy dvd board game for myself.
and a few other things at 70% off.[/QUOTE]

fixed that for you ;)

A graphic novel and a strategy guide I had been eying were still there for the taking when I arrived today. Now that everything is 90 percent off, I had no qualms about taking them now. I overpaid a bit on the guide (Metroid: Other M) but it was only 2 bucks after all was said and done, I can live. I'm gonna check out another one closer to home this evening and see if I can find a few other things.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Now that's a good price for simpson's fans.

at this point I am pretty sure flippers are going to come in a grab whatever they can so they can put it on ebay/craigslist for a quick profit.

I am disappointed though. The Art of District 9 never came to any of the stores as I would have loved to get my hands on it![/QUOTE]

i got lucky. All 3 Empowered graphic novels were still there....picked em up at 5.30 a piece.

I got lucky today. Went to a Walden's in the next city and was able to get a TON of comics at 30 cents apiece. Very nice as I was able to pick up the entire GL War and some other stuff in great condition.

They were only up to 70% on DVD's, 80% on Blu-Rays and NOTHING seemed to be up to 90% at my closest store YET.:bomb: WTF!!!:roll:

But even with that being said, both copies of the Venture Bros. Seasons 4 Part 1 sets that were there on Friday afternoon were GONE yesterday, as were the guides for Homefront and the better condition copy of the Hunted: Demon's Forge guides.

I may still check in this next week and see if anything is left, but at this rate there won't be shit left. Man people are desperate for a "deal" nowadays.:lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They were only up to 70% on DVD's, 80% on Blu-Rays and NOTHING seemed to be up to 90% at my closest store YET.:bomb: WTF!!!:roll:

But even with that being said, both copies of the Venture Bros. Seasons 4 Part 1 sets that were there on Friday afternoon were GONE yesterday, as were the guides for Homefront and the better condition copy of the Hunted: Demon's Forge guides.

I may still check in this next week and see if anything is left, but at this rate there won't be shit left. Man people are desperate for a "deal" nowadays.:lol:[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's because people actually DO view 70-80% off at as a good discount and aren't such a fucking cheap ass (like yourself) that they aren't going to risk passing on a deal to save $2 more 5 days from now.

[quote name='Darknuke']fixed that for you ;)[/QUOTE]

umm..no my gf wanted it and I got it for her...why buy a game for myself when I never saw the movies except being dragged to see the 3rd one?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Maybe it's because people actually DO view 70-80% off at as a good discount and aren't such a fucking cheap ass (like yourself) that they aren't going to risk passing on a deal to save $2 more 5 days from now.[/QUOTE]

He does have a good point. It's not worth the risk just to save another 2 bucks a few days later...unless you know how to stash it but I am sure employees are being proactive in uncovering shit like that.

At one store I went to, they actually had books on hold for people who ordered on off the internet. I can't believe it because I thought they weren't holding stuff anymore. I think it's more of the employee's than the customers.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Maybe it's because people actually DO view 70-80% off at as a good discount and aren't such a fucking cheap ass (like yourself) that they aren't going to risk passing on a deal to save $2 more 5 days from now.[/QUOTE]
Well that's them. I opted to try waiting till it was cheap enough for me. That didn't work out, but that just means I didn't truly need those items.;)
[quote name='ITDEFX']He does have a good point. It's not worth the risk just to save another 2 bucks a few days later...unless you know how to stash it but I am sure employees are being proactive in uncovering shit like that.

At one store I went to, they actually had books on hold for people who ordered on off the internet. I can't believe it because I thought they weren't holding stuff anymore. I think it's more of the employee's than the customers.[/QUOTE]
I did 'move' one of the VB season 4 part 1 sets to the sports book section, but I left it out in the open where everyone could see it. But if I knew the ordering online would've guaranteed getting a copy n for the closing price, then I'd have done it.

I picked up a couple of books on Friday - the Belinda Carlisle and Steven Adler bios (What? I'm a kid of the 80's.) for $5.xx each... I was pretty happy with that. I actually bought a Bob Seger tour pictures book last week when it was still $12.xx. I really wanted it and I figured the 1 copy they had wouldn't stay around...

The store I went to today was at 80-90% off. Of course, the two books I was waiting til today to get were gone. :(

I'm surprised I was able to pick up some pretty good flash books for under 12 bucks..I think I have enough to really get the hang of it lol.

Anyone know when the Borders by the Penn station closed in NYC? I went on 9/17 & it was already closed.

I went to the Columbus Circle one a few times & managed to get a ton of books.
There were no good DVD/CD's left by the time the sale got good.

Wanted to go today, but couldn't make it.

[quote name='parker99']Anyone know when the Borders by the Penn station closed in NYC? I went on 9/17 & it was already closed.

I went to the Columbus Circle one a few times & managed to get a ton of books.
There were no good DVD/CD's left by the time the sale got good.

Wanted to go today, but couldn't make it.[/QUOTE]
September 17th? Is your name Doc Brown or Marty McFly by any chance?:lol:;):booty:

Anyway, my closest store has one copy of the Hunted: Demon's Forge guide left but it's still too overpriced for my liking at $4, especially since there's color issues with the front cover(spots bleached white).

They had a sign up at the front door advertising an additional 15% off if you buy 8 or more books. Suffice to say I walked around the whole store and I couldn't find more than two I'd buy still.:whistle2:#

But I have a feeling that if I want some Anuna Christmas DVDs on the last day of business, then they'll most assuredly have some of those left, since they still had about 15 copies in a bin up the front.

I went in about a month ago and they were at 40% off. Problem was hardly anything was marked down from full retail price so it wasn't that great of a deal, still more expensive that online prices for most stuff.

The one near me is still open for a few more days, I'm going to see if I can't pick up some store fixtures at a good price.

At least they're still selling the fixtures at yours, though the shelving is way too high in price for my liking as well.:razz:

But I WAS considering grabbing one of those wooden trays like they're keeping the leftover DVD's in up the front of the store now since it was only $15.

Okay, I'm so embarrassed. I just reread my post and realized I put down the wrong date. Sorry.

I meant to say I went to the Penn Borders on Sat 9/10 & it was closed.

Still bummed that I missed the last day @ the Columbus Circle one. But I was there on Monday and I got almost all the books that looked interesting.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Thanks for the info, going to Columbus Circle tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

If you went was there anything good left?

Most stores I have been to are down to less than 10% stock.... it's mostly people going with ladders, trucks and power drills and taking the stuff away like crazy. Most of the good fixtures are gone.

Our store closed yesterday, but in the end, I think I did decent. I ended up spending probably around $130 or so, but got a pretty good haul...

IMG_20110915_204510.jpg

Missing Blue Velvet in the picture and Donnie Darko was from B&N.

IMG_20110915_204411.jpg

Five books are missing from that pile too...

[quote name='Vulgarism']Our store closed yesterday, but in the end, I think I did decent. I ended up spending probably around $130 or so, but got a pretty good haul...[/QUOTE]

Married With Zombies
Thunder and Ashes
Beyond Exile

3 of my favorite zombie books.

bread's done
Back