The Falcons Are In The Wild - But Rarer Than A Mewtwo! Gotta' Catch Them All!

Even if you buy a Falcon, if you buy it right when it comes out, you won't know for sure how reliable it's going to be. I would just buy one now with the 3 year RRoD warranty.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Problem is, how will we know if it's a Falcon?[/quote]

It should say so on the box, as I believe the current Zephyr model is.

[quote name='gunm']It should say so on the box, as I believe the current Zephyr model is.[/QUOTE]

Where? I didn't check the box itself out very well, but I can't see it through the little window.

People posted pics showing that the little flap on the box has a lable under it and it has zephyr written on it in part of the code.

Pretty sure it was even earlier in this thread, so just give it a look through.

I'm tempted to buy one with the recent price drop and sell my current one. The problem lies in trying to sell my current one as I'm sure people will assume it's broken.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Thanks! I'll have to look for that. That should make finding Falcons relatively easy.

I assume any Elite model has the new heatsync now though...hopefully.[/QUOTE]

It's a little late for me to be replying (okay, I've been playing Oblivion entirely too much) but according to most sources I've read, Elites have the new heatsink and epoxy fixes applied to them if they're manufactured after March (or April to be safe)...

Or something like that... Perhaps it means all recent models, including premium... (pre-hdmi) but the safest bet is Elites are guaranteed, it seems.

I have an Elite manufactured in July, so I figure I'm good. :) It's not that my July '06 premium machine was going south on me, but I figured since I wanted HDMI... I might as well kill two birds with one stone. ;)

^how could u tell ur elite was made in july before u got it?

i was at gc and the clerk said the ones they just got in were made in january apperantly

[quote name='Nelo Ice']^how could u tell ur elite was made in july before u got it?

i was at gc and the clerk said the ones they just got in were made in january apperantly[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant June.

My S# tells me that its the 23rd week of 07, which puts it the first week of June. (Looking in the flap). So I figured I was golden when I got it. :)

(helps to have a pocket calendar with you when purchasing...heh)

Oh and I did the camera trick when I got it home (well, with a flashlight.. not a camera) and saw the new heatsink.

Thanks for the info Mechafenris!

I'm going to see if I can find this Zepher (SP?) listed on a box tonight.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Thanks for the info Mechafenris!

I'm going to see if I can find this Zepher (SP?) listed on a box tonight.[/QUOTE]

No problemo. I think we've passed the "hump" with the issue w/r/t RRoD... of course this is speculation, since MS isn't talking... Couple that with a dose of shrink ray for the chips... and we should be over the hill for good. I like how much quieter my 360 is now compared to my old one...

I am confident on the new heatsink though... and with HDMI, my picture never looked better! Plus the black console goes will with 99% of my other consoles... (only my Dreamcast is white... hehehe.)

Anyone order from Amazon in the last couple days? Just wondering how long shipping took and what lot number/DVD drive you received. I'm ordering soon and really want a quieter DVD drive.

[quote name='torifile']Anyone know when/if Costco is going to get these?[/quote]When hell freezes over, apparently. I swapped out my RRoD'd system a couple of weeks ago, and it was a 2006-09-02 manufacture date system. The replacement system, a 2006-09-02 manufacture date system. :bomb:

It may not be until the holiday buying season, if not into 2008, before you see those at Costco. You won't be able to see if they're a Falcon or Zephyr system until you open up the plastic cocoon everything's in, though you will be able to see if it's a HDMI system or not from the printing on the box.

[quote name='shrike4242']When hell freezes over, apparently. I swapped out my RRoD'd system a couple of weeks ago, and it was a 2006-09-02 manufacture date system. The replacement system, a 2006-09-02 manufacture date system. :bomb:

It may not be until the holiday buying season, if not into 2008, before you see those at Costco. You won't be able to see if they're a Falcon or Zephyr system until you open up the plastic cocoon everything's in, though you will be able to see if it's a HDMI system or not from the printing on the box.[/QUOTE]
I just bought a 360 from Costco, knowing it'd be a 2006 model. I figured I'd play it until it died and then swap it out, hopefully after they get at least the HDMI if not Falcons in. Better to buy from Costco knowing that I can take it back at any time than hope it doesn't break from someplace else.

damn not being able to check the manfacture dates at stores

just looked around today :bomb:

guess i'll wait till costco gets elites in stock

[quote name='Nelo Ice']damn not being able to check the manfacture dates at stores

just looked around today :bomb:

guess i'll wait till costco gets elites in stock[/QUOTE]
You can see the lot number on many of them. Even the ones in Costco and their plastic cocoons - you've got to look really hard but you can make it out.

[quote name='torifile']You can see the lot number on many of them. Even the ones in Costco and their plastic cocoons - you've got to look really hard but you can make it out.[/quote]
ive only checked gc and BB but i wasnt able to get close enough to make out anything

GC clerk just took the 360 and wouldnt open the flap
BB guy couldnt check the flap either and they were all in the back or in a cage thing

btw if i ever am able to examine it better where would the lot number be?
particuarly at costco

[quote name='Nelo Ice']ive only checked gc and BB but i wasnt able to get close enough to make out anything

GC clerk just took the 360 and wouldnt open the flap
BB guy couldnt check the flap either and they were all in the back or in a cage thing

btw if i ever am able to examine it better where would the lot number be?
particuarly at costco[/QUOTE]
I'd just be up front about it saying you want to make sure you're getting one of the newer machines since they have the new heatsinks and will be more reliable. If they give you grief about looking at the box, ask to speak to a manager. If they still won't, fuck 'em. There are 100 other stores willing to sell you one.

To check the lot number, look on the right of the UPC label, on top. There are 4 bar codes on that label and it's written above the barcode on the top right. It says "Lot No. xxxx"

It's a damn shame when people have to look at dates just to buy a 360 damn you microsoft for not making a reliable system in the first place!

[quote name='torifile']I'd just be up front about it saying you want to make sure you're getting one of the newer machines since they have the new heatsinks and will be more reliable. If they give you grief about looking at the box, ask to speak to a manager. If they still won't, fuck 'em. There are 100 other stores willing to sell you one.

To check the lot number, look on the right of the UPC label, on top. There are 4 bar codes on that label and it's written above the barcode on the top right. It says "Lot No. xxxx"[/quote]
alright thanks for the info
and yeah i did ask the clerk at BB exactly what u said about the heatsink and reliable system thing but he said couldnt check the flap and didnt see anything about manufacturing date in the back room(the only others were inside a cage)

btw for lot number im looking for 0729 right?(thats what i read earlier in the thread at least about new heatsink 360s)
also dumb me i shouldve remembered about checking the lot number guess i'll check tomorrow again

[quote name='Mugen']It's a damn shame when people have to look at dates just to buy a 360 damn you microsoft for not making a reliable system in the first place![/QUOTE]

QFT!

I pretty much decided not to even think about getting one until spring at the earliest.

Plenty of Wii and DS games to keep me busy until then, and that will give time for the old stock to clear out and make it easy to at least get one with the heat sink, if not one with the falcon chips as well. Hopefully it will see another price drop before then as well.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

I pretty much decided not to even think about getting one until spring at the earliest.

[/QUOTE]

If you want an Elite, they're all new "heat-sinked" up, unless there's a launch one floating around somewhere (which is not impossible, but highly improbable). That's what I did... I'll allow time to tell who the Falcon's do... I am satisfied now that my console is among the "fixed" generation, I can concentrate on finishing Oblivion. ;)

I also really wanted HDMI... because it looks nicer than VGA on my TV... more crisp. (Now that frees up my VGA port so I can plug my Dreamcast in... heh)

Other than that, waiting can never hurt. ;) It's good to see HDMI coming to the 360 across the board...

[quote name='shrike4242']When hell freezes over, apparently. I swapped out my RRoD'd system a couple of weeks ago, and it was a 2006-09-02 manufacture date system. The replacement system, a 2006-09-02 manufacture date system. :bomb:

It may not be until the holiday buying season, if not into 2008, before you see those at Costco. You won't be able to see if they're a Falcon or Zephyr system until you open up the plastic cocoon everything's in, though you will be able to see if it's a HDMI system or not from the printing on the box.[/QUOTE]

I actually saw June 2006 models at Best Buy recently. I was looking for July '07 or later, and get June '06 :D

[quote name='Mechafenris']If you want an Elite, they're all new "heat-sinked" up...[/QUOTE]

Nope, don't need the hard drive space and will be a while before they are $300 or less. Don't want/need a 360 bad enough to pay more than that for it.

I just read the first and last couple of pages and didn't see the info I am looking for. Sorry if it has already been discussed. When I get a 360 I will be wanting the extra 100 gigs on the Elite. So I know that is the model I am interested in. But I have been holding out since the beginning and I was wondering if there was any word yet on when 360's would be shipped with quieter DVD drives, better heatsinks, HDMI ports and most importantly the 65nm chip. My understanding is the Elites have everything except the new, cooler chip (contrary to the OP). So, any word on how much longer I'll be waiting? Thanks.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Nope, don't need the hard drive space and will be a while before they are $300 or less. Don't want/need a 360 bad enough to pay more than that for it.[/QUOTE]

Why do you continue to participate in 360 discussions if you're so hellbent on never picking one up until it goes below some magical pricepoint you have in your head that changes from post to post?

just got back from BB and had the employees this time knew exactly what i was talking about :lol:

though i didnt bring enough money for the replacement plan

btw lot number is 0725 and manufacture date 2007-6-20

so that has the new heatsink right? employee said that the ones they had for sure had the heatsink

also is it worth getting the replacement plan

[quote name='LilPaintballer']will the factory refurbished xbox's come with the new heatsink hdmi out etc.?[/QUOTE]

They'd have the new heatsink (hopefully), but not HDMI. (Unless you send one in with HDMI, they run out of the old ones and yours can't be fixed, etc.)

[quote name='Nelo Ice']just got back from BB and had the employees this time knew exactly what i was talking about :lol:

though i didnt bring enough money for the replacement plan

btw lot number is 0725 and manufacture date 2007-6-20

so that has the new heatsink right? employee said that the ones they had for sure had the heatsink

also is it worth getting the replacement plan[/QUOTE]

I thought we were saying it was units made after July 2007? I can't remember anymore. At any rate, if it has HDMI it should be fine. If not...

oops forgot to mention i got an elite :lol:
apparantly its different for elites with the new heatsink and the manf date and lot
though my BB said for sure the elites they got in had the new heatsink and they were sold out of their hdmi premiums

[quote name='getmyrunon']Why do you continue to participate in 360 discussions if you're so hellbent on never picking one up until it goes below some magical pricepoint you have in your head that changes from post to post?[/QUOTE]

To annoy people like you. ;)

But seriously, I keep wavering back and forth and whether to buy one soon or wait longer. Now I'm even wavering back and forth on whether to buy one at all, or to wait and see if the Wii can start churning out more than 3 or 4 games a year I want as I really don't play enough to own multiple systems if it's library picks up the pace in 2008.

Costco.com (which was out of the premium bundle a few days ago) is now listing a Madden Xbox 360 Pro bundle for $464.99 that lists "Xbox 360 Pro Game Console" as the console (instead of Premium System). Here's the link: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11234961&search=xbox%20360&Mo=51&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search〈=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=xbox%20360&Ntt=xbox%20360&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I'm hoping these are the systems that have HDMI, since they have been called "Pro" by other retailers, but I'm not positive they do. They just showed up yesterday and I haven't made it to a Costco to see if they have them in store.

I wish they had a Pro bundle without Madden though...

One of the most anticipated Xbox 360™ games of 2007 comes bundled with the Xbox 360™ Elite System and all the necessary accessories to begin your 360 gaming experience this holiday season.
Bundle includes:
  • Xbox 360 Pro System
    • Xbox 360 Pro Game Console
    • Wireless Controller
    • Combination High-Definition Component and Standard A/V Cable
    • 20GB Detachable Hard Drive
    • Ethernet Cable
    • Headset
    • Xbox Live® Silver
    • Xbox Live® Gold 30-Day Trial
  • Extra Wireless Controller
  • Xbox 360™ Quick Charge Kit
  • Game: Madden NFL08

I got a new HDMI 360 from GameCrazy last weekend. I don't know if it has the new chip in it, not opening it up. Build date was July 07.

I can tell you that the 360 is still noisy as all get out. Like a loud PC. Perhaps they have added fans, I don't have an old one to compare to.

Did not come with HDMI cable, came with a nice component cable though.

Can't wait for Eternal Sonata.

After contacting Costco.com by phone, the rep informed me that the 360 Pro bundle I linked above should come with the HDMI port. I'm taking the plunge, and hopefully she's right.

Now, the question is do I hold onto the 360 I bought from costco without the HDMI port or order that bundle to get the HDMI port and return the other? Are the HDMI ported 360s any quieter? My 360 is really fucking loud. I can barely stand to have it on it's so loud and I never have it on unless I'm playing a game (and people watch movies on these things?!?)

[quote name='torifile']Now, the question is do I hold onto the 360 I bought from costco without the HDMI port or order that bundle to get the HDMI port and return the other? Are the HDMI ported 360s any quieter? My 360 is really fucking loud. I can barely stand to have it on it's so loud and I never have it on unless I'm playing a game (and people watch movies on these things?!?)[/QUOTE]

yep, the Ben Q is quieter. My 8/06 Hitachi model (aka the easy bake oven) was twice as loud.

[quote name='msane']Costco.com (which was out of the premium bundle a few days ago) is now listing a Madden Xbox 360 Pro bundle for $464.99 that lists "Xbox 360 Pro Game Console" as the console (instead of Premium System)....[/QUOTE]

Doesn't necessarily mean anything. The system has always been called "X-Box 360" and retailers have always randomly called it things like "Pro" or "Premium". Those don't mean anything, and are just something the store is calling it.

[quote name='retail sucks']yep, the Ben Q is quieter. My 8/06 Hitachi model (aka the easy bake oven) was twice as loud.[/QUOTE]

The problem is it's still a lottery as to which drive you get. People have reported getting loud drives in new models (and it seems like one person said they had a Ben Q that was loud, but hopefully that was a fluke).

AFAIK they've still kept using the old drives in new systems along with the new ones. It would be GREAT if we could somehow find out which models have quieter drives-like maybe going by the manufacturer date or something (ie July 16 is loud, July 15 is quiet, or something like. that).

Hmm...maybe we ought to start a database of some sort of when the system was made and what drive it uses.

[quote name='Wolfpup']

The problem is it's still a lottery as to which drive you get. People have reported getting loud drives in new models (and it seems like one person said they had a Ben Q that was loud, but hopefully that was a fluke).

[/QUOTE]

My Elite (mfr June 07) has a Hitachi in it that's very quiet... My old Premium had the wind-tunnel drive Samsung.. :) I was puzzled why I didn't get the BenQ, in terms of batches and all... Maybe I'm looking at mine wrong, but based on the site with the pics (name escapes me ATM), I've got a Hitachi...

In addition, my entire Elite is nearly as quiet as my PS3 now... It's a very good (lack of) sound. :)

[quote name='Littlefields']I just got my HDMI 360 last week. How do I know if it has the 65nm chip? Or can I? BTW, how do I find the date it was made?[/QUOTE]

Date's on the back of the console... and there's really only one way to know as of now... if your box (see above in the thread) has "Falcon" on it... or "Zephyr" (IIRC.) The HDMI Premiums have designations on them on the sticker on the side of the box.

[quote name='Mechafenris']Date's on the back of the console... and there's really only one way to know as of now... if your box (see above in the thread) has "Falcon" on it... or "Zephyr" (IIRC.) The HDMI Premiums have designations on them on the sticker on the side of the box.[/quote]
Thanks bud. My box saids Zephyr, so your saying I have the new 65nm chips? I was tould that the codename: Falcon models only have the new chips. If your right, I don't have to return my 360.
My house tends to make things overheat. 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop. All in my living room. I really don't want my 360 to turn into a big hot red ring paperweight.

[quote name='Littlefields']Thanks bud. My box saids Zephyr, so your saying I have the new 65nm chips? I was tould that the codename: Falcon models only have the new chips. If your right, I don't have to return my 360.
My house tends to make things overheat. 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop. All in my living room. I really don't want my 360 to turn into a big hot red ring paperweight.[/QUOTE]

You're correct, the Falcon is the 65nm chips and the Zephyr is the Elite Motherboards... and 90nm...

As for getting hotter, the new heatsinks keep the guts cooler now, just as long as you keep the exhaust area behind the console free and open... and since you've got an HDMI premium, I think they're pretty much set with the new Heatsinks.

My new Elite gets hotter (not overly so) exhaust, but the box itself no longer gets warm like my old Premium did... (the temp of the exhaust is comparable, I'd say... without scientifically investigating it w/a Thermometer... ;) )

bread's done
Back