The Falcons Are In The Wild - But Rarer Than A Mewtwo! Gotta' Catch Them All!

[quote name='torifile']They had the 360 Premium + wireless controller + play n charge kit for $399. I *think* I got all that plus Arcade Unplugged for $399 a month ago. Am I misremembering?[/quote]That was what I had in my original kit from Xmas time and the new kit I purchased last month to replace it. Console + 2nd controller + play & charge + Arcade Unplugged for $399.99.

My Costco had a stack and a half of 360's, so I'm not sure if they've cycled through them yet or not. I'll check for the HDMI on the box to see.

[quote name='Wolfpup']It almost sounds like the Elite might be the better deal because of that. I don't use that cable, but since it sounds like you can now run downloaded games on any future 360 you own (without being online), I might actually start buying downloaded games, so the extra space, the HDMI cable, etc. might be worth it...[/quote] It always has been the better deal when the HDMI kit for $50 was rumored, and with no audio output dongle in the box with the Premium HDMI. Right now, I'm running mine via VGA, though when I upgrade to a surround sound receiver, I'll have optical out covered with the VGA cable. With a 1080p-capable set, that may change, depending on what resolution it would do over VGA/DVI. Might have to go HDMI if I want to or not.

Got a premium with a born date of 7-04-07 (God Bless America), and checked my lot number on the site that was linked earlier in the thread. It says I have a Ben Q drive, which is awesome, but it says there's no HDMI which isn't true because my 360 does have HDMI. What are my chances on scoring with the Ben Q?

[quote name='NamelessMC']
I heard a rumor the Elite was getting the plug pulled. Someone that works at Wal-mart said the Elite SKU was being listed as "Deleted" later in September. I wonder if the Premium having HDMI and the Elite only having the bigger hard-drive doesn't justify the cost difference to Microsoft or consumers. There has to be a reason.[/quote]

I think it's more likely that Wal-mart is just deciding that it will stop carrying the Elite SKU.

For those interested in the Halo 3 Special Edition, our store just got ours in and they are from the 0729 batch. The sticker makes no mention of it being a Falcon (or Zephyr).

[quote name='voidcoefficient']For those interested in the Halo 3 Special Edition, our store just got ours in and they are from the 0729 batch. The sticker makes no mention of it being a Falcon (or Zephyr).[/QUOTE]

I really hope the system is quiet, i plan on buying this sunday.

I was so gung-ho about buying the new Halo Edition 360 with the rumored possibility that it will have the Falcon chipset, but then found out that MS half-assed it because only the CPU will be 65nm, the ATI GPU will still be the original 90nm version (the main cause for most overheating issues). Dang it !!!

I got one of the HDMI premiums last week and It's whisper quiet playing original Xbox games. Not as loud as my original launch system with 360 games, but I woudn't call it quiet, either. I'm happy, the system stays cool and heat flows out the back very well. According to that site I have the Hitatchi drive.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']I was so gung-ho about buying the new Halo Edition 360 with the rumored possibility that it will have the Falcon chipset, but then found out that MS half-assed it because only the CPU will be 65nm, the ATI GPU will still be the original 90nm version (the main cause for most overheating issues). Dang it !!![/quote]

I'm relatively infantile when it comes to the new chipsets in the 360. Were they both being swapped in future models or is this the new configuration across the board?

[quote name='Magehart']I'm relatively infantile when it comes to the new chipsets in the 360. Were they both being swapped in future models or is this the new configuration across the board?[/QUOTE]
There isn't any swapping...basically, they are trying to sell off as many of the old style as possible before Falcons hit the shelves. The Falcon chipset will be across the board.

It would not surprise me at all for them to wait until closer to Christmas before Falcons come out. Halo 3 is going to sell systems, and if the consumer's only option is the old style console, then that's what they'll buy.

[quote name='Magehart']I'm relatively infantile when it comes to the new chipsets in the 360. Were they both being swapped in future models or is this the new configuration across the board?[/QUOTE]

I believe that BOTH the CPU and ATI GPU will eventually utilize the 65nm chipsets in future XB360 game consoles, but for now the first batch and present production of Falcon versions will consist of only the CPU upgrade.

On a related note, a newer 45nm chipset is under development and will take about 18 months (late 2008 or early 2009) before debuting in the consumer market. Whether or not it will be featured in the Xbox360 or its successor is debatable.

As for now, I'm waiting on news if the Halo 3 Edition 360 does indeed benefit from the Falcon chipset. Also, does it lack an audio optical out since it is a Premium system? Dang nab it!

I have one mfg 6/29/07 and from the image of the trays seems to have a Hitachi drive, but its not loud at all IMO. Is there only one version of the Hitachi? Am I going deaf?

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']I have one mfg 6/29/07 and from the image of the trays seems to have a Hitachi drive, but its not loud at all IMO. Is there only one version of the Hitachi? Am I going deaf?[/QUOTE]

There are newer hitachi drives and they don't sound as loud as the launch ones. I actually just got one in my new Elite.

[quote name='CouRageouS']This should be helpful http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/dvd/allthreedvdsxs.jpg
In order from left to right: Philips (BenQ); Hitachi-LG; Toshiba-Samsung

I have the BenQ apparently, born date of 08-07-07. And if this is suposed to be the quiet one, I could only imagine how loud the other ones are :lol:[/QUOTE]
Huhm... my drive doesn't match either. It doesn't have any of the odd gaps in the drive (like the two on the right do, mind is shaped more like a Ben Q) yet it's not black colored and the top edge is real shiny.

[quote name='Trakan']I don't know which system you're referring to. With the Elite, yes, you can. With the new HDMI Premium, not only does it not come with an HDMI cable, but you have to buy the $50 cable to allow it to work with the digital audio.[/quote]

fuck! That sucks...this really puts a tamper on me getting my hands on the Halo Themed XBOX360.

[quote name='Trakan']I don't know which system you're referring to. With the Elite, yes, you can. With the new HDMI Premium, not only does it not come with an HDMI cable, but you have to buy the $50 cable to allow it to work with the digital audio.[/quote]Wait I just got confused. If I just use the standard component cables that come packaged with the new HDMI Premiums/Halo 360, I should still be able to use my optical audio cable for my surround sound right?

[quote name='Ma12kez']Wait I just got confused. If I just use the standard component cables that come packaged with the new HDMI Premiums/Halo 360, I should still be able to use my optical audio cable for my surround sound right?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The component cables have the optical audio out right on the cable plug, as do the VGA cables (except for some cheapo third party component and VGA cables).

HDMI users need an extra adapter that provides the other audio out options. The adapter plugs into the otherwise unused component port, but audio is still sent through HDMI as well. Really, if you use HDMI for video directly to a TV and optical for sound to a receiver, you still get audio to the TV as well. I'm hoping that MS includes a "Disable audio through HDMI" option in the next update.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Wait I just got confused. If I just use the standard component cables that come packaged with the new HDMI Premiums/Halo 360, I should still be able to use my optical audio cable for my surround sound right?[/QUOTE]

I'm kinda confused, too. Does the HD component cables for the new HDMI Premiums provide an optical out adapter?

Edit: Thanks for the answer above.

[quote name='Callandor']Yes. The component cables have the optical audio out right on the cable plug, as do the VGA cables (except for some cheapo third party component and VGA cables).

HDMI users need an extra adapter that provides the other audio out options. The adapter plugs into the otherwise unused component port, but audio is still sent through HDMI as well. Really, if you use HDMI for video directly to a TV and optical for sound to a receiver, you still get audio to the TV as well. I'm hoping that MS includes a "Disable audio through HDMI" option in the next update.[/quote]Whew, thanks for clearing that up. I thought I'd have to fork over an extra $50.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Whew, thanks for clearing that up. I thought I'd have to fork over an extra $50.[/quote]Problem is that from what people have said, the MS component cables that plug into the AV port are too fat to allow the HDMI cable to plug in as well. The HDMI kit has the audio dongle of the Elite + a HDMI cable.

In this thread, people have said that there are 3rd party component cables that work to fit into the AV port for use of RCA audio or optical out audio:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152084

[quote name='FatBoyInside']I'm kinda confused, too. Does the HD component cables for the new HDMI Premiums provide an optical out adapter?

Edit: Thanks for the answer above.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. However when you use hdmi port you cannot use that component cable for its optical audio out, you must use a optical out adapter that will only send audio out.

Must be a motherboard limitation or something unless they can fix it with a update.

Question. I'm thinking about buying the Halo Edition 360 (I already have a premium 360 that I got at launch (but has been repaired/replaced thrice)). If I borrow a memory card from a friend and copy all the stuff that can't be replaced (savegames, gamer profiles, and such) will I be able to load all that stuff onto the new hard drive and 360 and download all my old arcade games again without too much trouble or will I run into some sort of problem?

So Microsoft isn't even selling that part yet?

It's still kind of sounding like the Elite is the one to get, unfortunately. The HDMI cable is worth SOMETHING, this thing is worth something to some people, and the hard drive is worth something even if just to store more demos without deleting them first.

[quote name='Callandor']Yes. The component cables have the optical audio out right on the cable plug, as do the VGA cables (except for some cheapo third party component and VGA cables).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the only thing that makes this somewhat tolerable, as I could just move my cable box over to HDMI with a DVI-->HDMI cable for about the same cost as buying an HDMI cable for the 360 anyway. Or I could do HDMI on the 360 and give the optical out on my tv a try as that should work as well.

[quote name='Callandor']
I'm hoping that MS includes a "Disable audio through HDMI" option in the next update.[/QUOTE]

That one doesn't bother me as I have the speakers on my TV turned off in the menu anyway as everything hooked up to my TV goes through the surround sound receiver.

Well, I'm off to BestBuy to replace my crapped out 360.

Here's hoping I get myself a BenQ drive and those new heatsinks!

[quote name='PyroGamer']Well, I'm off to BestBuy to replace my crapped out 360.

Here's hoping I get myself a BenQ drive and those new heatsinks![/quote]

WOOP! WOOP! i just got back from target not even 30 minutes ago with my newly impulse bought 360. I chose target because for one, i dont have a costco membership, and 2 the extended warranty is really good there for only $30 for 3 years.

the guy helping was really cool about letting me check the box and see if it was a ben-q HDMI version, and indeed it was :cool:

so now im in the middle of downloading the CoD4 beta, and will be hitting that up until Halo 3 on tuesday, and Orange Box in beginning of October.

I've got the elite, but it turns out I can't use the HDMI anyway, it doesn't sync right or something. But the hard drive already has only 80 GB free, and I don't even download any actual content, just demos and XBLA stuff.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']A bit off topic, but are the Ben Q systems loud too? I think my system is mainly loud because of the fans. Still sounds like a bit of a wind tunnel.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it has a Ben Q drive? You'd need to check against those pictures.

Anyway it sounds like the systems with Ben Q drives are almost always quieter. I think I remember one person with a Ben Q where the drive was still loud (and maybe they misidentified it?)

When does your system get loud? If it's not a Ben Q drive, it should be one noise level when you turn it one, and then when you put in a game it'll get multiple times louder. The fan noise on even my launch systems wasn't THAT bad (worse than the Playstation 3 and a bit worse than a Wii, but not terrible), but that drive was ridiculous.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Are you sure it has a Ben Q drive? You'd need to check against those pictures.

Anyway it sounds like the systems with Ben Q drives are almost always quieter. I think I remember one person with a Ben Q where the drive was still loud (and maybe they misidentified it?)

When does your system get loud? If it's not a Ben Q drive, it should be one noise level when you turn it one, and then when you put in a game it'll get multiple times louder. The fan noise on even my launch systems wasn't THAT bad (worse than the Playstation 3 and a bit worse than a Wii, but not terrible), but that drive was ridiculous.[/quote]

My lot 0732 has a Ben Q and it is no louder than my regular xbox i had. it is immensely quieter than my friends 360 who has had his for about a year and a half now.

[quote name='danh']I hope they slap a big sticker on it that says "65 nano chip included!"

or Red Rings of Death Free![/quote]

The New chip will most likely not solve any problems from the older ones, it's just cheaper to make, and a tiny bit cooler

[quote name='Pestilence']My lot 0732 has a Ben Q and it is no louder than my regular xbox i had. it is immensely quieter than my friends 360 who has had his for about a year and a half now.[/quote]Same here. But the console is still loud ass fuck ;)

I posted this in the Halo 3 Ed. console thread too but maybe someone here could help (and sorry if it was mentioned previously but 27 pages is a lot to go through). I've been thinking of replacing my old 360 with the Halo 3 or Elite. Is the DRM issue still a problem where you have to be signed on to Live in order to access your downloaded content? I'm connected to Live most of the time but do bring my 360 around to where there might not be a connection. I found the following link but don't know how reliable a solution it is:
http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/xbo...60EliteTra.htm

Well the 65nm chips should use less electricity which in theory would make less heat but thats not the problem. The extra heatsink is really going to help more so than anything. Although my launch console lasted from Nov 2005- Sept 2007 so Im not complaining

Alright, I'm trying to figure out if I'll need that fucking hdmi dongle thing with my TV. It's a Sharp LC-32D43U so if anybody has it and knows for sure let me know.

It has an optical audio out and it shows in the manual that you can output PCM/dolby digital over it, but I'm not quite sure if it can take the HDMI audio and transfer it through the optical.

[quote name='SpazX']
It has an optical audio out and it shows in the manual that you can output PCM/dolby digital over it, but I'm not quite sure if it can take the HDMI audio and transfer it through the optical.[/QUOTE]

If it can transfer PCM/DD then you should be good to go.

Defintely try it first before getting the overpriced Dongle.

[quote name='anteis24']I posted this in the Halo 3 Ed. console thread too but maybe someone here could help (and sorry if it was mentioned previously but 27 pages is a lot to go through). I've been thinking of replacing my old 360 with the Halo 3 or Elite. Is the DRM issue still a problem where you have to be signed on to Live in order to access your downloaded content? I'm connected to Live most of the time but do bring my 360 around to where there might not be a connection. I found the following link but don't know how reliable a solution it is:
http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/xbo...60EliteTra.htm[/QUOTE]

This is a really good question that I'd like a definitive answer to too (I'm personally not buying content unless it can be used on any system without being connected to the internet).

My understanding is that Microsoft made changes to the Spring 2007 360 OS that allow games to be played on any system as long as you're using the profile that bought the games. So basically move the games AND the profile to the new system and they should all work even if it's not ever connected to the internet.

But I just had one person tell me that, and I'd really like some kind of additional confirmation before I start buying downloaded games. (I'm really disappointed that the Wii doesn't let you move games, as there are at least a half dozen games I'd buy for it otherwise :( )

[quote name='Pestilence']My lot 0732 has a Ben Q and it is no louder than my regular xbox i had. it is immensely quieter than my friends 360 who has had his for about a year and a half now.[/QUOTE]

That is FANTASTIC news! I have no issues with the loudness of the original X-Box. Except...

[quote name='apokalipze2']Same here. But the console is still loud ass fuck ;)[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it has the Ben Q drive? Maybe the same lot can use different drives. Why is this STILL a lottery? I wish Microsoft would address this problem too...

[quote name='deadrising2day']The New chip will most likely not solve any problems from the older ones, it's just cheaper to make, and a tiny bit cooler[/QUOTE]

Also the new Zepher (SP?) models DON'T have the new chips. Apparently we're still waiting on 65nm, and at first they're only going to be the CPU that uses the smaller chips, not the GPU (which is actually what caused the issues, apparently.

Finally got a 360 through the Fry's bundle deal.

It was the bundle with Forza 2 and Marvel: UA (though just sticker slapped on the box rather than a new box), HDMI and is Lot number 0736 with a Manufacture Date of 2007-09-08.

Does that tell me anything about chips/drives? I tried googling it, but didn't find much. The 360 drives site only had one entry for lot 0736 (from Italy) but it was from a console built well before mine (was from June I think).

Also, with that date is that August 9th or September 8th?

Thanks!

Look through the holes on the bottom with a flashlight or camera for a copper pipe. If no copper pipe, then you probably have the new heat sink, which is assumed to be a sign of having the Falcon. There really isn't enough evidence to know anything for sure, though.

Yeah, I tried that and couldn't see it.

But like you say, it's mixed anyway, and it should at least have the new heatsink so I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks though!

Does nyone know if the Pro systems have the same SKU as the Pro systems with Forza 2 and Marvel? I'm thinking of returning the system and trying to get a few games though my sense of morality probably won't allow me

bread's done
Back