The Falcons Are In The Wild - But Rarer Than A Mewtwo! Gotta' Catch Them All!

[quote name='velvet396']omfg gtfo I just bought the damn thing like 3 months ago... here's hoping when it dies I get one of these as a replacement.[/quote]

thats what i'm hoping. i'm on my second unit, but it's getting disc read errors. i figure i'll wait until it gets really bad to hopefully up my chances of getting a hdmi/65nm replacement.

[quote name='icyjones']thats what i'm hoping. i'm on my second unit, but it's getting disc read errors. i figure i'll wait until it gets really bad to hopefully up my chances of getting a hdmi/65nm replacement.[/quote]

unfortunately it just doesn't make sense for them to do it, despite all the 360 forum hopefuls.

Well...this is all still confusing. Because of the extras in the Premium, I'd actually rather buy that, but buying a regular with HDMI seems like the safest bet of knowing it's a new one.

But...we still don't actually know if these new ones have 65nm chips, or quieter DVD drives. Still, buying a brand new one seems like the safest bet. At least now I don't have to spend $50 extra for the Halo version.

[quote name='Damian']You've always been able to do that, you just have to log in to Live. He's claiming that you can do it offline as well, which is not a big difference really.[/QUOTE]

That's a HUGE difference. That's the difference between actually owning the games, and just having effectively an extended rental. I'm not going to risk that I've always got broadband for the rest of my life whenever I want to play, and the Microsoft's servers will be up for the rest of my life.

Unfortunately I haven't see any official confirmation yet, though I have asked MS direction.

[quote name='javeryh']Well, I don't have 1080p on my TV so that's that I guess...[/QUOTE]

It's still a sharper image, which is really a bigger deal than 1080p in this case.

[quote name='zewone']HDMI also allows you to upscale DVDs, which you can't do with component cables.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression it does upscale DVDs on any connection now.

[quote name='doubledown']Wow, this is great news...although, I feel a little upset as now I still won't have HDMI on my console. I know there is not really a difference in tems of quality between Component and HDMI on the 360, but I have a 1080p and I would love to take advantage of it. Oh well. I still would prefer the Elite with the 120GB HDD>[/QUOTE]

Bear in mind that the 360 doesn't really support 1080p, it's normally just scaling the internal resolution to 1080p (rather than having your TV do it). It could look better though, depending on the quality of your TV's scaler.

[quote name='rickonker']That's weird, if it's a different SKU and box with its own release date how did that guy in Atlanta already get a premium with HDMI?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they broke street date unless Target was allowed to do it. It could also be an item where the store is allowed to sell once it arrives.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression it does upscale DVDs on any connection now.[/quote]
no, only over VGA. dvd piracy association peoples (or someone, doesn't matter who) won't let it upscale over component.

And for anyone saying "should I buy one now" seeing as the news is coming in fast on this - just wait a freaking month and you should be fine. you've waited this long without any official news, now you have an actual goal in sight.

[quote name='icyjones']thats what i'm hoping. i'm on my second unit, but it's getting disc read errors. i figure i'll wait until it gets really bad to hopefully up my chances of getting a hdmi/65nm replacement.[/quote]

Better to keep your hopes down than up. You're not going to get one with HDMI, and 65mn chips haven't been confirmed in the July 07 mfg date refurbs. No one has opened one up yet, but I'm just going to say " no ".

So, yeah, no. You'll get the heatsink, but not the new chipset.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']Since I work at Best Buy I can use the store's system to check out for items being released and whatnot. I printed out the screen with all the info listed below. I was going to take a picture with my cell, but the quality sucks. This is basically all the news I could gather:

- Xbox 360 Pro System w/HDMI is a DIFFERENT sku from all other 360s.
- Release date on these is 09/01/07
- For some reason, the dimensions of the box and item are different. I don't know if the box means the item it's shipped in or the actual box itself and if the item is the system itself, or if the box if the 360 box, or if the box is the box shipped in and the item is the 360 box. The weight leads me to believe that the box is the item that we get and the item are the 360 boxes since weight of the box is almost double of that item and each box comes with 2 Xbox 360s if I'm not mistaken.

Here are the dimensions for the old 360/Elite:

Box:
Length: 15.1300 IN
Width: 11.8100 IN
Height: 12.8100 IN
Weight: 31.0100 LB

Item:
Length: 7.3100 IN
Width: 11.5000 IN
Height: 12.5000 IN
Weight: 14.9100 LB

Here it is for the new HDMI "Pro" 360:

Box:
Length: 11.5000 IN
Width: 7.3100 IN
Weight: 16.6700 LB

Item:
Length: 11.5000 IN
Width: 7.3100 IN
Weight: 16.6700 LB

So that probably means each box we get contains only one system. However, as you can see, the systems did get a little heavier. The boxes themselves changed in size as well.

I'll address any questions you guys may have.[/quote]

Didn't need its own thread so I merged and added your info to the OP.

for some reason I feel starved for information on this topic and keep wondering why some gaming website hasn't done a complete teardown video/pics of this new model! Hell, even fan/volume comparisons, dvd drives, etc. :drool:

[quote name='velvet396']unfortunately it just doesn't make sense for them to do it, despite all the 360 forum hopefuls.[/QUOTE]

For now, your right. Further down the line they'll eventually be out of old refurbs to send back. Of course then they may just slap the heat sink in the one you send in (along with the replacement parts) and send it back to you.

While the HDMI is nice, this part is annoying

Editor's Update: Just wanted to update a few things. All premium models will begin to have the HDMI port. The HDMI cable is not included in the package, but Microsoft will be offering an "official" HDMI Cable for $49.99 which will include the adapter to split the audio out via Optical. Systems that include the HDMI version will have the HDMI logo on the package. The HDMI models should hit Europe "in a few months."

great.... so it doesn't have optical on the unit? lame

[quote name='Zoglog']While the HDMI is nice, this part is annoying

great.... so it doesn't have optical on the unit? lame[/QUOTE]

Damn. If true that sucks, as then it sounds like you'd need the $50 MS HDMI cable rather than just being able to buy one from monoprice.com for

[quote name='Zoglog']While the HDMI is nice, this part is annoying

Editor's Update: Just wanted to update a few things. All premium models will begin to have the HDMI port. The HDMI cable is not included in the package, but Microsoft will be offering an "official" HDMI Cable for $49.99 which will include the adapter to split the audio out via Optical. Systems that include the HDMI version will have the HDMI logo on the package. The HDMI models should hit Europe "in a few months."

great.... so it doesn't have optical on the unit? lame[/QUOTE]

wow.

so we can finally stop bitching about the PS3 not including an HDMI cable?

Microsoft's accessory mark-up is just unbelievable.

[quote name='Zoglog'] While the HDMI is nice, this part is annoying

Quote:

great.... so it doesn't have optical on the unit? lame[/quote]

Are you telling me that the XBOX HDMI will not pass audio? I understand that some will need to use the optical audio but honestly this is almost a deal beaker. Component looks just fine and I will put out the Pepsi challenge I would say 99% of the time you could not see a difference in component vs HDMI. Well maybe some one will come out with a 3rd party adapter for opt out..

As for the question regarding my Xbox mysteriously coming down with something when the "falcons" are available... I can't help it I love games that brick consoles. I would love to use my 2 year Best Buy warranty and get a gift card for $400+ and purchase new falcon at $350 or less. I have until February of 2008 so hopefully they'll experience another cut and better reliabilty and are more plentiful. Now will Best Buy give a gift card for $400? Good question. I believe if I read my warranty correctly and if it's like my brother's recent experience with Circuit City. You have to mail them your broken console... they "inspect" it and mail you a gift card for your purchase amount. My brother got his gift card 3 weeks ago and spent the last month hogging my 360 but managed to hold out and get a 360 last night. And for those of you wondering... at CC he got Table Tennis with an Oct 06 system. The box says nothing about HDMI or 65 nm or inflatable Pamela Anderson doll on it nor does it have a sticker stating 60% fail rate so I'm guessing he is falconless. Though he loves those same brickable games.

[quote name='wwjasond']The box says nothing about HDMI or 65 nm or inflatable Pamela Anderson doll on it so I'm guessing he is falconless. Though he loves those same brickable games.[/QUOTE]

October '06? Heck yeah it's the old one. We don't even know for an absolute fact the ones produced NOW are 65nm, just that HDMI ones are starting to show up.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Are you telling me that the XBOX HDMI will not pass audio? I understand that some will need to use the optical audio but honestly this is almost a deal beaker. Component looks just fine and I will put out the Pepsi challenge I would say 99% of the time you could not see a difference in component vs HDMI. Well maybe some one will come out with a 3rd party adapter for opt out..[/quote]

HDMI is audio and video. The whole purpose of the technology is to tie them both together to make less mess in the back.

[quote name='danh']HDMI is audio and video. The whole purpose of the technology is to tie them both together to make less mess in the back.[/QUOTE]

Correct, the reason for using an OPTICAL cable is because some receivers do NOT have an HDMI input (like mine). Thus, I use an optical cable.

For example, my PS3, I run HDMI to TV, Optical to Receiver.

360, I would do the same thing if I had HDMI. The sound should be basically identical, since the 360 HDMI port is 1.2a (not 1.3)

[quote name='danh']HDMI is audio and video. The whole purpose of the technology is to tie them both together to make less mess in the back.[/quote]
I know that but what I am asking is if the 360 is passing audio over HDMI. Just because HDMI spec includes audio doesn't mean that manufacture has to. There are a few HDMI dvd players on the market that do this. And don't fool yourself the idea behind it is DRM not the consumer, don't forget about HDCP.

[quote name='doubledown']Correct, the reason for using an OPTICAL cable is because some receivers do NOT have an HDMI input (like mine). Thus, I use an optical cable.

For example, my PS3, I run HDMI to TV, Optical to Receiver.

360, I would do the same thing if I had HDMI. The sound should be basically identical, since the 360 HDMI port is 1.2a (not 1.3)[/quote]

I have my PS3 hooked up the same way so I understand the concept my receiver also is lacking HDMI.
And that is what I thought, I understand the need for it if you don't have a receiver that has HDMI. What my point is this would be a deal breaker to me if "I" had to buy a 50.00 cable and adapter from M$. Because its not doing anything for my TV using HDMI, Component looks just as good. My question was does the 360 pass audio over HDMI I assume it will but just because it has HDMI is in no way guaranteeing audio over HDMI. But to each there own if you have a receiver that can pass audio and video over HDMI or you just plan on pluging it right into your TV then go for it and use a Monoprice HDMI cable. But I see no need for me until I have a new receiver or they pack in the audio adapter.

if my old premium red rings, i wonder if they'll replace it with a 65nm hdmi premium...

probably not.

heres to hoping though.

[quote name='Zoglog']great.... so it doesn't have optical on the unit? lame[/quote]

do you really need the breakout dongle for the audio? looks like you've got room to plug in both HDMI and whatever A/V cable you already have.

:drool:salivating at the chance to capture video on my cheap little RCA->USB box while using HDMI to view on my TV (make gameplay videos for my Gears clan). as of right now I have to use a digicam for offscreen footage :cry:. come to think of it they'll probably only enable one video out at a time...

[quote name='Kfoster1979']I know that but what I am asking is if the 360 is passing audio over HDMI. Just because HDMI spec includes audio doesn't mean that manufacture has to. There are a few HDMI dvd players on the market that do this. And don't fool yourself the idea behind it is DRM not the consumer, don't forget about HDCP.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, though even aside from that it makes sense that we need a universal digital a/v connection for TV-type devices.

What's confusing to me is why we need so many of them. I mean I can see having HDMI replace DVI, just since it's smaller, and includes audio. But what's with Display Port, and whatever else is coming down the line? Seems like we really shouldn't need more than one connection for computer and "living room" type devices anymore, since they're all practically the same thing. But maybe I'm not thinking of something...

[quote name='velvet396']do you really need the breakout dongle for the audio? looks like you've got room to plug in both HDMI and whatever A/V cable you already have.

:drool:salivating at the chance to capture video on my cheap little RCA->USB box while using HDMI to view on my TV (make gameplay videos for my Gears clan). as of right now I have to use a digicam for offscreen footage :cry:. come to think of it they'll probably only enable one video out at a time...[/QUOTE]

Good point. Seems like it should work, unless they disable the AV connection if HDMI is stuck in there or something weird.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Good point. Seems like it should work, unless they disable the AV connection if HDMI is stuck in there or something weird.[/QUOTE]

Isn't the 360 like the original x-box and the PS2 where you HAVE to use the optical if you want 5.1 sound.

Of course if your Receiver has HDMI, you could have it pull the sound off of it probably, but most of us don't have receivers with HDMI inputs.

I don't even have a receiver :D Don't want one, don't care :) (Well, I guess technically I've got an old one in the basement.)

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Are you telling me that the XBOX HDMI will not pass audio? I understand that some will need to use the optical audio but honestly this is almost a deal beaker. Component looks just fine and I will put out the Pepsi challenge I would say 99% of the time you could not see a difference in component vs HDMI. Well maybe some one will come out with a 3rd party adapter for opt out..[/QUOTE]

As others has said, most people don't have receivers with HDMI as a lot of us have receivers we bought before HDMI even existed.

Thus we have to use HDMI (or component) directly to the TV for the video, and optical out to the receiver for 5.1 sound.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't even have a receiver :D Don't want one, don't care :)[/QUOTE]

To each their own. I wouldn't even want a PS3 or 360 if I didn't have a surround set up and HDTV first.

But of course I watch movies about 10 times more than I play games, so those are more important components of my home theater anyway. :D

[quote name='Apossum']wow.

Microsoft's accessory mark-up is just unbelievable.[/quote]

Yea tell me about it. $99 for a Wifi adapter when every other console comes with it out of the box? What the hell?

[quote name='dmaul1114']As others has said, most people don't have receivers with HDMI as a lot of us have receivers we bought before HDMI even existed.

Thus we have to use HDMI (or component) directly to the TV for the video, and optical out to the receiver for 5.1 sound.[/quote]

I know, I get that, and I also don't have a receiver that has HDMI. And thats my point its a deal breaker to ME to have to buy the extra piece so I can have 5.1 sound I would just rather use my component cable and Optical like I am now. Now if a 3rd party makes a cheap 9.99 adapter or I buy a new receiver (something I am thinking of doing anyway Onkyo TX-SR605 or Sony STR-DG810 if anyone cares) then I might want to have HDMI from my 360 but not for the video quality just to clean up the rats nest behind my TV.

My original question was does the 360 pass audio over HDMI and I am assuming yes. I was basically asking do you have to have the audio adapter and I see you don't.

[quote name='dmaul1114']To each their own. I wouldn't even want a PS3 or 360 if I didn't have a surround set up and HDTV first.

But of course I watch movies about 10 times more than I play games, so those are more important components of my home theater anyway. :D[/QUOTE]

HDTV I totally agree. There's some guy on here who says you don't need it, but I think "looking like garbage and being unable to read text" is more than a minor inconvenience :D

Audio though-I just want good speakers in my TV, and that's good enough. I spent a bunch on a surround sound system for my PC years ago, and have been totally unimpressed. I guess if I made more money, and had the space to set it up right it would be cool, but otherwise it's just a really minor thing to me as long as my built-in speakers are high quality.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Yea tell me about it. $99 for a Wifi adapter when every other console comes with it out of the box? What the hell?[/quote]

The 20GB PS3 didn't have it out of the box, and it was still $100 more at the time. The 60GB PS3 does have it, but it's also $150 more than the Premium.

To me, not having an Ethernet port is a bigger omission than not having wifi. I mean even if you use wifi, having an Ethernet port gives you more options about how to do that too.

I'd imagine if you need to use an optical cable to achieve 5.1 sound (like me) you could have it coming out of the component cable, while the actually inputs themselves are unplugged. Then you would just use a regular HDMI cable to plug the system in.

If you can't do this, and MS makes you buy their 50.00 cable...well, fuck them.

Has any one else noticed how http://www.xbox.com does not refer to the Premium or Professional model anymore? It is just called the "Xbox 360" now... seems like they are phasing the Core out and that the Elite might just be limited too (wasn’t the original rumor that it was going to be limited edition in the first place).

Still, I wish for this new model they said it had the 65nm chip and maybe included Wifi… I mean even the Wii has it…

Guess I am going to wait a little longer to see how Microsoft handles all of this.

So if I buy one of these new units, Will I be able to get sound from the AV Cable and video from the HDMI cable? (My surround sound system doesn't accept HDMI or optical)

[quote name='abreed']Has any one else noticed how http://www.xbox.com does not refer to the Premium or Professional model anymore? It is just called the "Xbox 360" now... seems like they are phasing the Core out and that the Elite might just be limited too (wasn’t the original rumor that it was going to be limited edition in the first place).

Still, I wish for this new model they said it had the 65nm chip and maybe included Wifi… I mean even the Wii has it…

Guess I am going to wait a little longer to see how Microsoft handles all of this.[/QUOTE]
AFAIK MS never called it anything else. This was their way of keeping their promise that the Xbox 360 would come with a hard drive. The premium is just called "Xbox 360" and the core is the "Xbox 360 Core System".

[quote name='Apossum']wow.

Microsoft's accessory mark-up is just unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

Uhhhh....if you don't want to use optical, can't you just buy a generic HDMI cable?

[quote name='evanft']Uhhhh....if you don't want to use optical, can't you just buy a generic HDMI cable?[/QUOTE]
Also the PS3 doesn't include a component cable either, so no HD out of the box.

Next thing you know, the premiums will start shipping with 80-120gb hard drives, and all you'll be getting extra for the Elite is a different coat of paint...

you guys could have just told me and let this get deleted instead of bumping it to the top in an attempt to act superior for trying to keep the forum as 'clean' as possible.

Yeah, reading can be very fun. You should look into it. This guy can help:

reading-rainbow.gif

[quote name='flaming homer']i agree with evan, gizmo-learn to read[/QUOTE]

...WTF?

You are posting a question which can be answered in another thread that ALREADY has 150+ posts. I can read just fine. I'm sure you are excited for the 6th grade next month, eh?

bread's done
Back