The Flea Market Find Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='yourlefthand']Is it really worth the work and parts?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I've given ones away that worked :roll: Might as well mod it to play imports if you're going to that kind of trouble.

Hey all,
Posting to add to my subscriptions, but also wanted to see if anyone in the Chicago area knew of any reliable flea markets while I wait for spring to get here. Tried a few around my house (and a few road trips), but nothing impressive so far.

And yeah, I've got a PS1 I can't get rid of, either.

Picked up today-

Wario land (virtual boy) SEALED
snowboard kids (n64) cart only
NFL 2k (dc) sealed
n64 gameshark ver. 3.3

Total- $10

Does anyone know how to tell what gameshark is which?. The one I got today has a 3.3 sticker on the back. I have two more w/o stickers, one w/o a port on the back and one with. Pretty sure the one w/o a port is ver. 2.0, but not sure if the other one is ver. 3.1,3.2, or 3.3.

[quote name='lude21']Picked up today-

Wario land (virtual boy) SEALED
snowboard kids (n64) cart only
NFL 2k (dc) sealed
n64 gameshark ver. 3.3

Total- $10

Does anyone know how to tell what gameshark is which?. The one I got today has a 3.3 sticker on the back. I have two more w/o stickers, one w/o a port on the back and one with. Pretty sure the one w/o a port is ver. 2.0, but not sure if the other one is ver. 3.1,3.2, or 3.3.[/QUOTE]

Wow, great pickups on Wario Land and Snowboard Kids.

As for game sharks, I have no idea. I have a bunch of gamesharks myself so I'm just tagging along here in hopes of an answer.

Went to my local swapmeet on Sunday. Ended up finding Mega Man Legends PS1 black label in great condition for $25...not the best price but still way better than ebay or amazon especially for the black label version. I also found a copy of Conkers Bad Fur Day for N64 for a steal at $20! I was pretty happy about getting Conkers for that price!

[quote name='spmahn']Reading this thread really makes me question peoples sanity (not any of you guys, the people at these flea markets selling this stuff). Do people really think their junk Atari 2600 with a handful of shit games is worth $100 or more? Is there really someone stupid enough to think that Pac-Man for 2600 is worth $54? I know the old saying is that there's a sucker born every minute, but in general whenever I see delusional people like this at flea markets and tag sales, the junk they're peddling usually won't sell at the outrageous price they're asking. Are people that do this stuff consciously trying to run a scam, or do they really think their junk is gold?[/QUOTE]

At my local swapmeet there's this lady that has a video game stand and she usually has a few rare games but holy hell she wants double and even tripple wat they are worth! I recently noticed that she had a copy of GTA Collectors edition for PS1. So i asked her how much she wanted for it (keep in mind you can easily find it on ebay for under $10) and she said "$100".....i nearly fell back it was ridiculous. I asked her why so much and she replied with "it's a collectors edition!" Just for shits and giggles i asked her how much she wanted for her copy of Brave Fencer Musashi = $70, Silent Hill = $60, Metal Gear Solid = $40. Normally i would kindly just smile and walk away but when she told me $100 for the GTA i told her "you can easily get that game for under $10 on ebay" to which she told me i was lying. LOL Oh well good luck selling those games....the sad part about it is that im sure even though she wont sell that particular game for that much im sure she'll sell other games for wayyy more than they are really worth to people who dont know any better and believe her bullshit.

[quote name='DarkPhantom13']Went to my local swapmeet on Sunday. Ended up finding Mega Man Legends PS1 black label in great condition for $25...not the best price but still way better than ebay or amazon especially for the black label version. I also found a copy of Conkers Bad Fur Day for N64 for a steal at $20! I was pretty happy about getting Conkers for that price![/QUOTE]

Thats about whats its worth, now if you got legends 2...that would be a great deal. I got mine for $1 :)

The problem with overpriced game stands is that they are overpriced because they know people will buy it when they see it. My cousin paid over $30 for a gold zelda ocarina of time cartridge only from the local ripoff store, even when I told him you can get the game for half that price on ebay and that it is an extremely common game. My cousin is 11, so its not like he has money to burn, and he doesn't come from a rich family either. The parents have an ebay account and the kid knows how to bid on ebay so its not like they don't have internet access.

These stores/fleamarket stands exist and are probably successful, or else they wouldn't be there. We all wonder why those stands are there but I promise you there are actually people who will pay ridiculous prices for common games.

[quote name='SaraAB']The problem with overpriced game stands is that they are overpriced because they know people will buy it when they see it. My cousin paid over $30 for a gold zelda ocarina of time cartridge only from the local ripoff store, even when I told him you can get the game for half that price on ebay and that it is an extremely common game. My cousin is 11, so its not like he has money to burn, and he doesn't come from a rich family either. The parents have an ebay account and the kid knows how to bid on ebay so its not like they don't have internet access.

These stores/fleamarket stands exist and are probably successful, or else they wouldn't be there. We all wonder why those stands are there but I promise you there are actually people who will pay ridiculous prices for common games.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree! Like i said in my last post, although they wont sell some of the really high priced games they do get away with selling a few titles at outrages prices anyway. So although said single "$100" priced game doesn't sell for that amount they do end up selling 4-5 of other said "$10" game priced at "$40."

[quote name='DarkPhantom13']Completely agree! Like i said in my last post, although they wont sell some of the really high priced games they do get away with selling a few titles at outrages prices anyway. So although said single "$100" priced game doesn't sell for that amount they do end up selling 4-5 of other said "$10" game priced at "$40."[/QUOTE]

I assume also that since its a fleamarket things are priced higher since the vendors expect you to haggle, so perhaps on a $100 game someone might be expected to try haggling down to $60-70 especially if it can be pitched as a multiple titles game. She could also have the titles contained in the pack separate for $50 each (as individual games) at her stand, making it look like a $150 value, thus making the $100 for the package of 3 look like a good deal to the naive.

If she sells 1 game for $100 then that would be better than selling 10 $10 games and she is probably making more.

Parents will also buy anything for their kids if they whine enough for it, no matter what the price, trust me about this one, little johnny's whines for game x, they are getting it regardless of price. This is why Toys R Us is still in business.

The only failure of this would be if a nearby competing stand charged less for each game and a customer decided to comparison shop. Especially if the competing stand was very close by.

[quote name='SaraAB']The problem with overpriced game stands is that they are overpriced because they know people will buy it when they see it.

These stores/fleamarket stands exist and are probably successful, or else they wouldn't be there. We all wonder why those stands are there but I promise you there are actually people who will pay ridiculous prices for common games.[/QUOTE]

At the local anime convention there was a girl buying FF8 greatest hits for 70 dollars. She was cute so I felt the need to tell her she was being massively ripped off and could get a new green label for like 20 bucks shipped online.

She didn't care and just told me that she really wanted to play it soon.

[quote name='Dokstarr']At the local anime convention there was a girl buying FF8 greatest hits for 70 dollars. She was cute so I felt the need to tell her she was being massively ripped off and could get a new green label for like 20 bucks shipped online.

She didn't care and just told me that she really wanted to play it soon.[/QUOTE]

LIES!!!!!

You wanted to tap that

Some people might not have access to credit cards or paypal to order online, so perhaps paying $70 was her only option for the game. I have watched people who didn't have the money spend thousands on cheap chinese plastic figures at anime conventions...so sad that when I went to the one anime convention I actually managed to get to I wasn't able to find anything I wanted to buy!

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while.

Guess what I got for $20. Go on, guess!

Remember, all of this, for $20! All PC, most boxed, some missing content but most complete, hell, most sealed, shame some of the sealed ones boxes are in varying degrees of rough shape, but still!

Empty Boxes
Big Jets
Street Atlas USA
Road Thrills 4 in 1 pack
Photosuite
The Need For Speed SE
TurboTax Deluxe
TurboTax Basic
Kingsquest IV

Disc Only

free PHONE
William Shatner's Tek War Preview Edition
Firefighter!
Megafortress
TV Guide Multimedia Crosswords
Special Trail Editions Battlegrounds Gettysburg/Empire Soccer 94/ Dawn Patrol/Battlegrounds Ardennes
Dragon's Lair
Sharkware 2.0

Opened

3D Hunting Shark
Quicken TurboTax Complete
Take No Prisoners
3D Hunting Trophy Whitetail
Dungeon Keeper (seal broken, insides sealed)
Duke Nukem 3D
Power Play
Tomb Raider
Quicken 2000
PC Raider Joystick

Seal Intact

Half-Life Game of the Year Edition
ALIENS A Comic Book Adventure
Tomb Raider 2
Heavy Gear
3D Hunting Trophy Game
Corel Custom Photo
Living Books The Cat in the Hat
Beach Head 2000
Resumes Quick & Easy
3D Hunting Shark

SEALED

Gearheads
Kings Quest VII
Castle of the Winds I
Castle of the Winds II
DriveCopy
Heretic Shadow of the Serpent Riders
The Beer Hunter
Sin
Quake
3D Ultra Pinball
Astronomer
Upland Game Hunter
Sportsman Paradise
Fisherman's Paradise
Marathon 2 (big rip in front)
Johnny Mnemonic
Deathtrap Dungeon
Land Mine
Don't Quit Your Day Job
Fast Attack
Shivers 2
Blockbuster Entertainment guide to Movies and Videos

Twenty freakin dollars!

jpg-15.jpg

$40-ish for everything. Should make my money back+ on the two Battlefront 2s.

Had some luck lately with one guy at a flea market

IMG_0143.JPG

Crash and Excitebike he was asking $3 each, offered $5 for both and got those. I was walking by later on and saw the DS and they were $5 each. Didn't bother haggling on those.

Also got Starfox 64 for $5 last week from the same guy.

I also picked up this Lego hockey set for $30 from someone else:

65182-1.jpg

Seems like everything is intact.

Went to the flea market today.

Picked up the following:

For $15
Super Scope for SNES
Super Scope 6
Stunt Race FX
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tecmo Super Baseball
Dark Chambers (Atari 2600)

For $14
AUtographed Mickey Mantle picture
Autographed Mickey Mantle & Ted Williams picture

For $20
Captain America & the Avengers (Genesis)
Super Mario World 2 (Box & Instructions)
Smackdown: Just Bring It (PS2)

For $20
Seasons 1 & 2 of 21 Jumpstreet

For $15
Turtles 1 (NES)
Rad Racer (NES)
Baseball (NES)
Hogan's Alley (NES)
Track n Field II (NES)
Rush N' Attack (NES)
Karnov (NES)

For $30
Mickey Mantle Induction Day Plaque
Thurmon Munson Plaque

[quote name='Rexall']Went to the flea market today.

Picked up the following:

For $15
Super Scope for SNES
Super Scope 6
Stunt Race FX
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tecmo Super Baseball
Dark Chambers (Atari 2600)

For $14
AUtographed Mickey Mantle picture
Autographed Mickey Mantle & Ted Williams picture

For $20
Captain America & the Avengers (Genesis)
Super Mario World 2 (Box & Instructions)
Smackdown: Just Bring It (PS2)

For $20
Seasons 1 & 2 of 21 Jumpstreet

For $15
Turtles 1 (NES)
Rad Racer (NES)
Baseball (NES)
Hogan's Alley (NES)
Track n Field II (NES)
Rush N' Attack (NES)
Karnov (NES)

For $30
Mickey Mantle Induction Day Plaque
Thurmon Munson Plaque[/QUOTE]

Signed Mickey Mantle photo for $15? Seems too good to be true. I'm not doubting what you bought, it's just there are so many forged autographs.

Finally decided to post my finds from two weeks ago.

Was in Jacksonville on business and stayed over a few days as a mini vacation. I was on my way to Saint Augustine and stopped at some flea markets on the way.

First place I stopped had a dedicated game shop. Decided to browse despite knowing there would be high prices.

Found for $30:
Centurion: Defender of Rome (CIB) Genesis
Menacer 6 game cartrige (CIB) Genesis
Super Valis IV SNES
Act Raiser 2 SNES
Breath of Fire SNES

Overpaid but I've been wanting BoF and couldn't pass on Centurion.

One thing I noticed while browsing his shop was a TurboGrafx 16 CIB! I asked about it and he said it was not for sale, "I've been offered $60 for it and passed". Sheeee... I would have offered over $100 if I had a way to get it back home. (guess I coulda shipped it) He said he also had some CIB games for it somewhere....

Stopped at another flea market just south of Saint Augustine on 207. Was hurrying through so I could get into town. Stopped at a booth with a couple consoles on a table and saw some cartriges. How much? "Fifty cents each, they're the older ones". :D My kinda place!

For $3:
Perfect Dark N64
Super Mario 64
Donkey Kong 64
Duke Nukem 64
Primal Rage Genesis
Phantasy Star IV Genesis

How much for the PS1 games? "One dollar each".
Final Fantasy Tactics GH
Akuji (disc only)
Breath of Fire IV (disc only)

He then says he has some original XBox games. I'm not too enthused with XBox but decided to check it out anyway. There were a few PS1 games in the stack...

Final Fantasy Chronicles
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Persona :hot:

I was pretty happy so far but I almost sharted when I shuffled Persona out of the stack!

I also found for XBox @ $5 each:
Conker Live & Reloaded :D
Samurai Shodown V
Black Stone: Magic & Steel
Guilty Gear X2 The Midnight Carnival #Reload

The guy said he had cleaned out a storage unit and all of these came from it. There was an NES without games on the table.... I wonder what I missed out on there. At $30 I will have a hard time beating that deal this year!

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']So, the TurboGraphx was part of his decor? [/QUOTE]

I guess so. He told me that he had gotten it for $4 so I think he was proud of the purchase. I wouldn't actually say the place had a decor, his nook was packed to the rafters with games and other electronics and it was really dusty and difficult to move around. The Turbografx was on a shelf in a wood and plexiglass "display booth" he had constructed in the center near where he sat.

Found a copy of Mega Man Legends 2 yesterday in great condition for $20. Picked it up on the spot! I algo got very excited to see that they also had The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 for $5 but unfortunately when i opened the case it was just the regular Metal Gear Solid 2 disc inside so i put it back...

I'm in St. Augustine and if it's the flea market I'm thinking of then one of the two dedicated game vendors there has probably cleared him out by now. I was going to go this past weekend too but I have/had the flu >:CCC

EDIT: Oh, 2 weeks ago. Still, amazing find. Why can't that stuff have shown up when I was there? ;_;

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep doing well with one particular guy at the local flea. He prices his shit pretty fairly and is easy to haggle with.

Picked up a yellow game boy color. He has it in a case and I ask how much. He says $10. I ask if it has the battery cover and he says yes. Then takes it out and realizes it doesn't. Without me saying a word he says "I can do 5 for that".

I love when the seller does negotiating for me ;)

Also grabbed the following:

IMG_0180.JPG

$10 - Eternal Darkness (no manual)
$3 - obscure NES controller (Zipper by Beeshu) ?

[quote name='GoldFly']I keep doing well with one particular guy at the local flea. He prices his shit pretty fairly and is easy to haggle with.

Picked up a yellow game boy color. He has it in a case and I ask how much. He says $10. I ask if it has the battery cover and he says yes. Then takes it out and realizes it doesn't. Without me saying a word he says "I can do 5 for that".

I love when the seller does negotiating for me ;)

Also grabbed the following:

IMG_0180.JPG

$10 - Eternal Darkness (no manual)
$3 - obscure NES controller (Zipper by Beeshu) ?[/QUOTE]

LOL I know the exact flea market you purchase that controller and game from. I sold that dealer the controller and game in a lot about 2 weeks ago.

[quote name='aptanor']I'm in St. Augustine and if it's the flea market I'm thinking of then one of the two dedicated game vendors there has probably cleared him out by now. I was going to go this past weekend too but I have/had the flu >:CCC

EDIT: Oh, 2 weeks ago. Still, amazing find. Why can't that stuff have shown up when I was there? ;_;[/QUOTE]

This guy was off to the side near the restrooms, about the furthest spot from the game vendors. It was also about 3 P.M. so I'm suprised they were there. The game vendors had terrible prices on common stuff. :roll: I just remember the guy with the huge setup talking shit to a customer that his prices were better than everyone else and that the other game vendor in the fleamarket sold garbage.

I find great stuff every time I visit Florida! Last time I found a 15 game SNES lot at a yard sale for $20. It included stuff like FFII, Mariokart, Donkey Kong 64 and other goodies I can't remember (this was 2010). I wasn't leeching your area then, this was near Gulf Shores, AL.

[quote name='alexkidd4']LOL I know the exact flea market you purchase that controller and game from. I sold him that dealer the controller in a lot about 2 weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've seen you post stuff about the RI / Southern Mass area before. Figured we'd overlap sooner or later. I think you've beaten me to a few CL adds then posted them in the CL finds thread, lol. Were you at the Swansea Salvation Army on Tuesday by any chance? Had a funny interaction with a dude there who seemed like a true CAG.

Edit: that pink controller is pretty sweet btw

[quote name='Invicta 61']This guy was off to the side near the restrooms, about the furthest spot from the game vendors. It was also about 3 P.M. so I'm suprised they were there. The game vendors had terrible prices on common stuff. :roll: I just remember the guy with the huge setup talking shit to a customer that his prices were better than everyone else and that the other game vendor in the fleamarket sold garbage.

I find great stuff every time I visit Florida! Last time I found a 15 game SNES lot at a yard sale for $20. It included stuff like FFII, Mariokart, Donkey Kong 64 and other goodies I can't remember (this was 2010). I wasn't leeching your area then, this was near Gulf Shores, AL.[/QUOTE]
The guy right near the door was talking shit about the other vendor I assume? That guys such a douche it's almost comical. The best part is he "hires" these little punks to work there (pays them in stuff instead of actually paying them), and I've seen them walk off with stuff I'd have grabbed in a heartbeat. Persona 4 and a Sega CD were the last really nice items I saw them stick in their "keep" pile.

The other vendor further in is actually a really cool guy, he usually knocks about %25 off whatever I'm buying without me even having to ask :V

[quote name='GoldFly']Yeah I've seen you post stuff about the RI / Southern Mass area before. Figured we'd overlap sooner or later. I think you've beaten me to a few CL adds then posted them in the CL finds thread, lol. Were you at the Swansea Salvation Army on Tuesday by any chance? Had a funny interaction with a dude there who seemed like a true CAG.

Edit: that pink controller is pretty sweet btw[/QUOTE]Well, there goes my hoping to get some cool stuff this summer lol, already got mad cags in the area. You guys hit up rietta?

[quote name='therealdanhill']Well, there goes my hoping to get some cool stuff this summer lol, already got mad cags in the area. You guys hit up rietta?[/QUOTE]

I'm moving to Chicago next month and don't know the area. What hope do I have.

[quote name='aptanor']The guy right near the door was talking shit about the other vendor I assume? [/QUOTE]

That's the one!

[quote name='aptanor']The other vendor further in is actually a really cool guy, he usually knocks about %25 off whatever I'm buying without me even having to ask :V[/QUOTE]

Wish I had known that, he had a few nice items but the prices were waaaay too high.

The guy I bought from was about 1 block south from the nice guy on the opposite side of the aisle in a nook. I could tell he knew nothing about games thus the awesome prices.

2569tu0.jpg

Atari Flashback 2 - 3
GBA SP AC Adaptor - 1
18 Atari 2600 Games With 16 Game Storage Thing - 15
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (Complete) & King's Quest 6 (3 1/2 Floppy Complete?) - 5
Rival Schools (Complete) - 4
Blades of Steel - 1
Logitech Wireless Xbox Controller (battery cover missing) - 3
Last 4 games not mentioned - .50 each

Atari Games were a buck each offered 10 was countered with 15. Oddworld & King's Quest VI were marked 3 each took 5 for both. Rival Schools wanted 5 offered 3 and we meet in the middle. Logitech controller was 5 but took 3. The rest of the stuff was asking price.

[quote name='GoldFly']Yeah I've seen you post stuff about the RI / Southern Mass area before. Figured we'd overlap sooner or later. I think you've beaten me to a few CL adds then posted them in the CL finds thread, lol. Were you at the Swansea Salvation Army on Tuesday by any chance? Had a funny interaction with a dude there who seemed like a true CAG.

Edit: that pink controller is pretty sweet btw[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know there was a Salvation Army in Swansea. Thanks for the info. I don't really buy much off ads posted on the list. People seem to be really over valuing there crap nowadays.

Next time you should cut out the middle man. I would of gave you it for free, lol. I was going to throw it away initially but he said he wanted. I picked that controller up in the same lot I bought Wacky Races and The Jetson Cogswell Capers.

[quote name='therealdanhill']Well, there goes my hoping to get some cool stuff this summer lol, already got mad cags in the area. You guys hit up rietta?[/QUOTE]

Rietta is like an hour and a half away from us. I might check it out next week though. I've been considering checking out more of the Worcester area. My friend told me That's Entertainment gets a lot of cool stuff frequently.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Rival Schools is a cool find, I tend to see it kinda frequently around here. It's a pretty nice flip too if you do that.[/QUOTE]

This is the first copy of Rival Schools I've ran into in my neck of the woods since PSX was the current thing, I was thinking it was most likely the best find out of the bunch even before I looked it up out of curiosity to see what it's going for.

This might have been the best thing I've found all week.

Bought a copy of Ape Escape for $10 and an unopened Kiwi Gameboy Color for $30. I picked these up at the Chesapeake Flea Market in Chesapeake, Ohio. If you're in the WV/KY/OH tri-state area I'd give this place a try.

t5Uu

[quote name='PKGarep']This might have been the best thing I've found all week.

Bought a copy of Ape Escape for $10 and an unopened Kiwi Gameboy Color for $30. I picked these up at the Chesapeake Flea Market in Chesapeake, Ohio. If you're in the WV/KY/OH tri-state area I'd give this place a try.

t5Uu
[/QUOTE]

If that GBC is legitimately sealed you might be sitting on some serious money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-GB...onsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item33752aa05f

[quote name='alexkidd4']If that GBC is legitimately sealed you might be sitting on some serious money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-GB...onsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item33752aa05f[/QUOTE]

Is there any way I can check to see if it's legitimately sealed and not re-sealed? The plastic stickers don't seem to be tampered or fooled with. And by checking the opening on the back the Gameboy itself doesn't have any visible scuffs or scratches. It looks brand new, and in the plastic.

[quote name='PKGarep']Is there any way I can check to see if it's legitimately sealed and not re-sealed? The plastic stickers don't seem to be tampered or fooled with. And by checking the opening on the back the Gameboy itself doesn't have any visible scuffs or scratches. It looks brand new, and in the plastic.[/QUOTE]

Sells you ape escape for $10 and a sealed gameboy color kiwi for $30. They charged you retail for the ape escape but dunced on the kiwi . Don't think so. Flea market people know what they have. Who knows maybe you got lucky.

[quote name='TiKi2']Sells you ape escape for $10 and a sealed gameboy color kiwi for $30. They charged you retail for the ape escape but dunced on the kiwi . Don't think so. Flea market people know what they have. Who knows maybe you got lucky.[/QUOTE]

Possibly. The lady I bought it from said she was selling all of her games for $10. She told me that she didn't play them and had no use for them. There were also a few sealed Dreamcast and DS games, so maybe she didn't know what she had.

[quote name='PKGarep']Possibly. The lady I bought it from said she was selling all of her games for $10. She told me that she didn't play them and had no use for them. There were also a few sealed Dreamcast and DS games, so maybe she didn't know what she had.[/QUOTE]

Could be, Best bet is to compare it with pictures of sealed ones, you could try ebay to see if there are any listed with detailed pictures.

Picked up Blaster Master, Batman, and Tetris for the NES for $10. There was a guy who had a bunch I wanted, but he was $5 on carts, no negotiation at all, even if I bought 5 of them. I also found an Odessey 2 with a bunch of games and an Atari 5200, $100 for both, but I didn't have the cash, and who knows if they even worked or not, because the lady selling the sure didn't.

People don't want to hear that Mario/Duck hunt and Lee Trevino Golf aren't worth $5 a piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back