The GamesCon Discussion Thread -- Were the Rumors True, and Other Surprises from Sony

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Sony's GamesCon press briefing starts at 12:30 PM EST (sucks that I'm at work) and I'm not sure if anyone is carrying a live feed. But I figured it'd be a good idea to hold all GamesCon discussion in one centralized location. So to kick things off, here are the rumors everyone has on mind.

1) Debut of the PS3 Slim
2) Possible PS3 Slim costing $300
3) Software based backwards compatibility (either free or costing ~$100)
4) Sony Releases a Brand New Title (May or not be exclusive)
5) Gran Turismo launch date is revealed for end of this year
6) PSP line gets a price drop (including PSP Go)
7) Sony announces and releases Firmware Update 3.0
8) Sony finally announces the PSN Video store for European market
9) Sony provides more details regarding their "P.S. Thanks" customer rewards service
10) PS2 titles will be made available on the PSN (time-frame unannounced)

And just for fun -- Playstation Network is going to be offline starting from 2:00 PM EST tomorrow; which, incidentally, is right around the time they're conducting their press briefing.

In the spirit of Bingo, I predict that the all the rumors will be prove true except for #9.

Thoughts on Backwards Compatibility: Regarding backwards compatibility, I actually believe that Sony would offer the necessary software for free but only if PS2 titles are made available on PSN. That way, Sony will know which titles will work perfectly. Releasing BC but not selling PS2 titles on PSN would basically give up that whole revenue stream to the used game market.

I'm hoping for PS2 BC, but that's about it. I'm not expecting much. Oh, also, I'm hoping for an announcement about a LE version of Uncharted 2 :D

7:00pm CET is the starting time for the actual conference. 6:30pm CET is the start of the event, but there's a 30-minute buffer period before the conference. As it stands now, it seems that there will be no live video feed of the conference, so live blogs will likely be the prime source of information.

For reference:
7:00pm CET = 7:00am HST, 9:00am AKDT, 10:00am PDT, 11:00am MDT, 12:00pm CDT, 1:00pm EDT.
World Clock

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Any live streams planned?[/QUOTE]

No live videos, it looks like, just live-blogs. After a quick glance...

Eurogamer already has their live-blog page up, ready to update when the show starts.
Kotaku's Brian Crecente is in Cologne, and should have a live-blog page up soon.
IGN should also have a live-blog, though they don't have a page up.

Here is my big prediction #1. Sony does not even mention a peep about the Slim.

#2. the biggest news is a Price drop for a limited time.

My guess is only #4 will likely be true.. I'm sure they'll just go over things and maybe show a video of a new game that hasn't been announced. MAYBE the PS3 Slim... doubtful though.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Here is my big prediction #1. Sony does not even mention a peep about the Slim.

#2. the biggest news is a Price drop for a limited time.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. You're going to hear them say, "Now enjoy the immense PS3 line up at a low price of 299!" And they'll repeat it.

I'm looking forward to see what happens, mostly with the 3.0 FW.

Media Molecule has said they have something big, I think it'll be online create mode for lbp. Maybe a teaser trailer for Agent, a new singstar, new info on Motion Controller, and eye pet.

1) Debut of the PS3 Slim
2) Possible PS3 Slim costing $300
3) Software based backwards compatibility (either free or costing ~$100)
4) Sony Releases a Brand New Title (May or not be exclusive)
5) Gran Turismo launch date is revealed for end of this year
6) PSP line gets a price drop (including PSP Go)
7) Sony announces and releases Firmware Update 3.0
8) Sony finally announces the PSN Video store for European market
9) Sony provides more details regarding their "P.S. Thanks" customer rewards service
10) PS2 titles will be made available on the PSN (time-frame unannounced)

1)I already own a 40 gb and I don't rebuy consoles unless I sell them, so no interest there.
2) While an even better price than I paid, again I already own a PS3 and I personally think $200 is the pricepoint when many consider a console a 'splurge purchase'.
3) If it's free, great. If not, fuck you Sony, I'll just go get a cheap PS2 off CL.
4) No interest in any titles till Red Dead Redemption, God Of War 3 or I Am Alive.
5) Racing sims don't interest me. Throw in some gunplay and the ability to annihilate everyone else's cars and I might bite.
6) Meh handhelds...especially $200+ handhelds, drop the price to $49.99 and I might consider it.
7) If it's free BC for all PS3 consoles, great. If it's some useless shit like more icons for the XMB or another chat program, then Sony can suck it. I hope they start making these downloads OPTIONAL.
8) I live in the US, so no interest.
9) Never heard of it, but hopefully it's not tiered the same way as the RZ card from Best Buy. It takes forever and a ton of cash to get one $5-10 certificate.
10) Gouge much? Many PS2 titles are still available(albeit used in most cases), so this seems like double dipping to me, especially if they make it so you can ONLY buy their downloadable versions and not play your hard copies that you paid for already on your system.

Wow IATCG, Sony has really pissed you off lately huh? You've been going on a PS3 hating rampage, there is no problem with this - just odd that you decided it is time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']1)I already own a 40 gb and I don't rebuy consoles unless I sell them, so no interest there.
2) While an even better price than I paid, again I already own a PS3 and I personally think $200 is the pricepoint when many consider a console a 'splurge purchase'.
3) If it's free, great. If not, fuck you Sony, I'll just go get a cheap PS2 off CL.
4) No interest in any titles till Red Dead Redemption, God Of War 3 or I Am Alive.
5) Racing sims don't interest me. Throw in some gunplay and the ability to annihilate everyone else's cars and I might bite.
6) Meh handhelds...especially $200+ handhelds, drop the price to $49.99 and I might consider it.
7) If it's free BC for all PS3 consoles, great. If it's some useless shit like more icons for the XMB or another chat program, then Sony can suck it. I hope they start making these downloads OPTIONAL.
8) I live in the US, so no interest.
9) Never heard of it, but hopefully it's not tiered the same way as the RZ card from Best Buy. It takes forever and a ton of cash to get one $5-10 certificate.
10) Gouge much? Many PS2 titles are still available(albeit used in most cases), so this seems like double dipping to me, especially if they make it so you can ONLY buy their downloadable versions and not play your hard copies that you paid for already on your system.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had your blatant disregard for progress.

I really don't care about any of that except for one thing:

GRAN TURISMO 5

Please let the rumors of a 2009 release date be true. I'm such a nut I bought a steering wheel for each of GT3 and GT4 (bought the DFP like 6 months before GT4 came out to make sure I could get one), I am considering buying a copy of the PSP version despite not owning a PSP simply to make sure I have a copy of every game that has been released in the US.

Also on a purely personal level, NO CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT, this is purely because it will ruin socom.

It's good to know that they're touching up on the Backwards Compatibility topic. I hope they come to a good decision.

I went ahead and Pre-ordered with SEARS. It printed and confirmed.

Why? Because I doubt the Slim will be $299

and theres NO WAY it will be available on 8-24 because it would have to be in Store back rooms by now.

Sony has to ship these Nationwide to many retailers.

This way I have some documentation, I think SEARS AND KMART got things mixed up and priced the Slim at $299 on 8-24-09, when they should have Priced that FAT $299 starting 8-24-09.

Well at least I got printed confirmation from SEARS for a $299 Slim, I can always cancel.

Yea, couldnt just wait and see for today MN? Hehe.

It's at 930!?! Ergh, I'm awake now! Anyone reccomend any good places to see news updates at?

I had a dream that the conference was 1800 LOCAL time, meaning Germany. Not Eastern US :p Just woke up, seems like it was perfect timing. Good live stream anywhere?

[quote name='Master Ninja']I went ahead and Pre-ordered with SEARS. It printed and confirmed.

Why? Because I doubt the Slim will be $299

and theres NO WAY it will be available on 8-24 because it would have to be in Store back rooms by now.

Sony has to ship these Nationwide to many retailers. [/QUOTE]

Wrong, considering that 8-24 is the expected release date of the Slim, Sony may very well release these to ship when announced at the conference and they'll still make it to retailers in time. Consider that retailers are probably already sitting on these in their warehouses and just need to get the OK to ship directly to stores.

I'm interested in seeing what the Slim has ... I have a 60GB so I'm set, but my brother-in-law may be looking into jumping into the PS3 fray.

There will be no live video streams, folks. Use one or more of the liveblogs (Eurogamer, Kotaku, SCEE, etc.) dallow posted above.

show us the slim already dammit!
lower the pspgo price u fools! the price drop for the go is imminent anyways, theyll have 10,000 sales then realize consumers in america are smarter then they believed.

[quote name='Cao Cao']There will be no live video streams, folks. Use one or more of the liveblogs (Eurogamer, Kotaku, SCEE, etc.) dallow posted above.[/QUOTE]
So lame... Is it really hard to video blog these things this day 'n age? Blah.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']So lame... Is it really hard to video blog these things this day 'n age? Blah.[/QUOTE]

tis too advanced sire.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']How can SingStar have a HOME space when there are licensing issues that need to be worked out for more songs? :cry:[/QUOTE]

songs will only consist of chocolate rain & numa numa

i thank this conference for making work go by faster lol

Jem Alexander: House has just announced Firmware 3.0 -- animated themes, a What's New section and some other great interface changes.

Say whaaa!?

Anyone else see this on Engadget?

81809sonyps3games.jpg

Games that can't be larger than 1MB?!? What the hell is Sony thinking?

Or is that just for the PSP, still what the hell?

That's a cool idea. Smart move.

[quote name='spoo']Games that can't be larger than 1MB?!? What the hell is Sony thinking?

Or is that just for the PSP, still what the hell?[/QUOTE]

Haha, it was a typo: 100mb.

1:15PM House says, "We've understood a shift in their entertainment needs." So, they're going to be delivering "bite-sized, snackable games" for PSP users. Introducing "Minis on PSP" – a section on the PSN, available exclusively through digital distribution. The games have a 100MB limit.

[quote name='Cao Cao']PSN Store Minis announced for PSP. 100MB size limit.[/QUOTE]
confused

"A new section on ps store offering smaller games that can't be larger than 1mb " - kotaku

bread's done
Back