The GamesCon Discussion Thread -- Were the Rumors True, and Other Surprises from Sony

d8e33901-d8ac-4f92-9849-f5c76af4fec1_400.jpg

This just made my next 2 weeks. With this being the universal price, bing.com cashback is going to make finding a deal on the PS3 slim very easy :)

Well, that was the worst kept secret, but who cares. It's exactly what Sony needed to do and by gum they finally fucking did it.

Yay, I can get another BR player for a different room now.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']But, wont they cry about anything?[/QUOTE]

You speak the truth wise one, LOL. hope you guys get a PS3 who don't have one. Really bad ass system

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']no BC hahaha, now the babys have something to cry about[/QUOTE]

And cry I will. Until Uncharted 2 comes out. Then I will shut the hell up.

[quote name='gunm']Well, that was the worst kept secret, but who cares. It's exactly what Sony needed to do and by gum they finally fucking did it.[/QUOTE]
Honestly, I can't see this helping too much without some nice sales to help out. The issue is going to be that people are going to go and see the Xbox 360 Elite being $299 as well, and they're going to have to make a choice. Most parents, if buying for a son/daughter/whatever, are more likely to see the wider variety of cheaper games on the 360 and buy that instead of a PS3, even with the price drop.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Sony did this, and I do think it'll help a bit, but I don't think it'll be enough. They needed something bigger, such as BC being added in for ALL PS3's, or something like that. A slim model and a price drop that still makes it cost the same as the most expensive other consoles, isn't going to be as big of a help as I think they'd like.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']1)I already own a 40 gb and I don't rebuy consoles unless I sell them, so no interest there.
2) While an even better price than I paid, again I already own a PS3 and I personally think $200 is the pricepoint when many consider a console a 'splurge purchase'.
3) If it's free, great. If not, fuck you Sony, I'll just go get a cheap PS2 off CL.
4) No interest in any titles till Red Dead Redemption, God Of War 3 or I Am Alive.
5) Racing sims don't interest me. Throw in some gunplay and the ability to annihilate everyone else's cars and I might bite.
6) Meh handhelds...especially $200+ handhelds, drop the price to $49.99 and I might consider it.
7) If it's free BC for all PS3 consoles, great. If it's some useless shit like more icons for the XMB or another chat program, then Sony can suck it. I hope they start making these downloads OPTIONAL.
8) I live in the US, so no interest.
9) Never heard of it, but hopefully it's not tiered the same way as the RZ card from Best Buy. It takes forever and a ton of cash to get one $5-10 certificate.
10) Gouge much? Many PS2 titles are still available(albeit used in most cases), so this seems like double dipping to me, especially if they make it so you can ONLY buy their downloadable versions and not play your hard copies that you paid for already on your system.[/QUOTE]

sounds like sony cant do anything right by you so why even bother with their consoles or games? if bc was that big of a deal you could have found a great deal on an 80gb model with bc or even a 60gb model why complain about not having it now and wanting it? what sony is doing is no diff that what nintendo is doing by selling classic games ( nes, snes, genesis) for download to their current console. nobody is making you buy them either.

a bc download isnt going to come anytime soon imo and its not like you dont have options for playing ps2 games. you can buy a a ps3 with bc or you can get a ps2.

as far as getting a 49.99 handheld not gonna happen unless its hott or an older model like a gba.even nintendo still sells ds lites for 100 so i would expect a drop for sony anytime soon. im not knocking you for wanting a good deal thats why the site exists but you come off liek you want somthing for next to nothing and thats not gonna happen.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']And cry I will. Until Uncharted 2 comes out. Then I will shut the hell up.[/QUOTE]

I don't get it you have a PSN tag, but no PS3?:wall:

[quote name='YodaEXE']Honestly, I can't see this helping too much without some nice sales to help out. The issue is going to be that people are going to go and see the Xbox 360 Elite being $299 as well, and they're going to have to make a choice. Most parents, if buying for a son/daughter/whatever, are more likely to see the wider variety of cheaper games on the 360 and buy that instead of a PS3, even with the price drop.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Sony did this, and I do think it'll help a bit, but I don't think it'll be enough. They needed something bigger, such as BC being added in for ALL PS3's, or something like that. A slim model and a price drop that still makes it cost the same as the most expensive other consoles, isn't going to be as big of a help as I think they'd like.[/QUOTE]

What would BC being added have done? If people want to play PS2 games, they are going to buy a $99 PS2 Slim...why pay $299 if you primarily want to play PS2 games? This price drop is primarily for those of us who didn't have the budget to spend $400+ on (another) console.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I don't get you have a PSN tag, but no PS3?:wall:[/QUOTE]

If he's like me, and visits the PS forums, you had to make a PSN account when they migrated things over.

[quote name='SynGamer']If he's like me, and visits the PS forums, you had to make a PSN account when they migrated things over.[/QUOTE] But he has trophies for games like infamous? I don't get it? hahaha

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']But he has trophies for games like infamous? I don't get it? hahaha[/QUOTE]

Played at a friends house...?

People need to get over BC. You had plenty of time to buy a PS3 with it (you probably still can). I still play games on my PS2 because some, like Fire Pro, look better.

Well this is good step in the right direction for Sony for sure. Dollar for dollar the PS3 hardware is superior to the 360 elite in every way. Better build quality, same size hard drive, wireless internet included, Blu-ray included. Next Sony needs to get GT5 and GOW III out the door and on shelves. Those are system sellers.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I love people that say, "THE ONLY REASON I WILL GET A PS3 IS IF IT GETS BC!!!!!"

Then get a friggen PS2.... hahaha.[/QUOTE]

Well, a PS2 on a HDTV using component looks like doodoo, unless the game has HD support built in.

The PS3 upscaler makes the PS2 look alright on a HDTV, and makes games certain games with HD settings look better like GoW2

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I love people that say, "THE ONLY REASON I WILL GET A PS3 IS IF IT GETS BC!!!!!"

Then get a friggen PS2.... hahaha.[/QUOTE]

lol pretty much. first they whine the ps3 is to expensive so sony finally drops the price to 299 then they whine that they want the slim to be that price or they wont buy so it is and now they will whine about how it doesnt have bc so until sony "gets of ther asses" and gives them bc they wont buy. its really odd how much hate people have for sony when they can get a ps3 slim and a ps2 slim and stack them next to each other lol.

[quote name='Furashu']do u mean ps2 games?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I mean PS3 games. They STILL haven't addressed the internal scaler (or lack thereof) issue.

I just bought a PS3 80GB bundle with Metal Gear and KZ2 two weeks ago for $399.99.

Had I waited, I could get a Slim for $299.99 + $29.99 Metal Gear + $59.99 Killzone2 = $389.97

That's... more than $10 less at 50% MORE harddrive space and newer hardware revision.

RAGE! RAGE! RAGE! :bomb:

/commence impossible task of kicking self in crotch...

[quote name='manthing']Well, a PS2 on a HDTV using component looks like doodoo, unless the game has HD support built in.

The PS3 upscaler makes the PS2 look alright on a HDTV, and makes games certain games with HD settings look better like GoW2[/QUOTE]
Yes, this is a valid point. But, it truly is not that big of a difference. GOW2 allows for 480p upconverting and widescreen support either way. And if it really is that big of a deal, you should be able to find an older model that supports it.

I think the funniest thing here is for anyone not owning a ps3 or psp why in the fuck would anyone buy a pspgo at 249.99 when a ps3 is now only 50$ more lol.

[quote name='XClaude']I just bought a PS3 80GB bundle with Metal Gear and KZ2 two weeks ago for $399.99.

Had I waited, I could get a Slim for $299.99 + $29.99 Metal Gear + $59.99 Killzone2 = $389.97

That's... more than $10 less at 50% MORE harddrive space and newer hardware revision.

RAGE! RAGE! RAGE! :bomb:

/commence impossible task of kicking self in crotch...[/QUOTE]

Say it broke and return it...

Release date for slim will vary by region but available everywhere by sept 1 l

so could be out by next week in usa?

So there NO release date Meaning they can sell it whenever they get it.

[quote name='lokizz']sounds like sony cant do anything right by you so why even bother with their consoles or games? if bc was that big of a deal you could have found a great deal on an 80gb model with bc or even a 60gb model why complain about not having it now and wanting it? what sony is doing is no diff that what nintendo is doing by selling classic games ( nes, snes, genesis) for download to their current console. nobody is making you buy them either.

a bc download isnt going to come anytime soon imo and its not like you dont have options for playing ps2 games. you can buy a a ps3 with bc or you can get a ps2.

as far as getting a 49.99 handheld not gonna happen unless its hott or an older model like a gba.even nintendo still sells ds lites for 100 so i would expect a drop for sony anytime soon. im not knocking you for wanting a good deal thats why the site exists but you come off liek you want somthing for next to nothing and thats not gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

Please man, no one can do right by him, so put him on your ignore list. He probably even yells at his hands while masturbating for not doing what he wants.

Hmm,

Can't swap out hard drives, and no Linux install capabilities.

Kinda bummed out to see that those are the 2 1 feature nixed in the redesign, but then again, what's the percentage of PS3 owners actually doing one of them (especially Linux). I won't upgrade just yet, but this will make the video game market a bit more interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rumarudrathas']Hmm,

Can't swap out hard drives, and no Linux install capabilities.

Kinda bummed out to see that those are the 2 features nixed in the redesign, but then again, what's the percentage of PS3 owners actually doing one of them (especially Linux). I won't upgrade just yet, but this will make the video game market a bit more interesting.[/QUOTE]
i thought you can swap hdd in the front

[quote name='Master Ninja']No LINUX!!?!?

Sony remains consistent with Each Price Drop they remove another major feature.

When its $199, I doubt it will have WiFi[/QUOTE]
Nah, they'll remove the Blu-ray drive. Or maybe the video output.

[quote name='John Hyperion']People need to get over BC. You had plenty of time to buy a PS3 with it (you probably still can). I still play games on my PS2 because some, like Fire Pro, look better.[/QUOTE]
I was given a 40gb ps3 as a gift. My favorite games are the Gran Turismo series. There is no Gran Turismo available for ps3. I'm not about to purchase another console just to play a GT game. I want BC so I can play GT4 to tide me over until GT5 is out. I'm not "getting over" BC.

[quote name='Master Ninja']No LINUX!!?!?

Sony remains consistent with Each Price Drop they remove another major feature.

When its $199, I doubt it will have WiFi[/QUOTE]
Linux? Major?

:lol:

[quote name='ToadallyAwesome']They have to save some treats for TGS. Hopefully those treats have a Backwards Compatible flavor.[/QUOTE]

I like the way you think! :lol:

bread's done
Back