2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I saw this as well. I fully expect the US branch of Amazon to get rid of their Prime 20% preorder discount, probably within the next two months. The writing was on the wall once BB stopped renewing and giving out GCU memberships.
I think we will at least get the Amazon discount until the end of the year, but I just don't see Gamestop getting rid of the Elite Pro Membership. I do see them getting rid of the Pro Membership however and simply having Elite for $30 annually, why sell the lesser membership when you can get those people to pay for the more expensive one?

Can I return or exchange games I bought on gamestop.com in store? I bought some COD games during a sale a couple weeks ago, but the condition of most of them is terrible. Cracks in the middle, scratches, weird substance stuck to one. Even the ones that were clearly resurfaced still have scratches. I guess I should have expected this.

Can I return or exchange games I bought on gamestop.com in store? I bought some COD games during a sale a couple weeks ago, but the condition of most of them is terrible. Cracks in the middle, scratches, weird substance stuck to one. Even the ones that were clearly resurfaced still have scratches. I guess I should have expected this.
Yes

Yes.

Is the "weird substance" the dried resurfacing liquid? Gamestop has a problem with their resurfacing machines because they don't clean them or replace the components like they're supposed to. That's why they get the gunk and the swirl marks on them. It's so frustrating.

Yes.

Is the "weird substance" the dried resurfacing liquid? Gamestop has a problem with their resurfacing machines because they don't clean them or replace the components like they're supposed to. That's why they get the gunk and the swirl marks on them. It's so frustrating.
Thanks. That’s probably exactly what it is. It’s like chucks of dried powder. It’s on both discs of a 2 disc game.

just confirmed that renewing elite from the powerup rewards site still works.
Probably a dumb question but how do you renew online? I’ve searched for a little bit and can’t find anything. I’m on vacation somewhere and there isn’t any stores close by so I would like to renew online. I redeemed 30,000 points for a year but obviously you have to go in store.

So if you renew Elite in store with your 30K point offer, will the POS add 12 months to your existing end date or will they have to refund/prorate your current subscription and make it so that your Elite ends 12 months from today?
I think it just adds. I had 3 months left, and I didn't get a refund. If you upgrade from pro, I think they give you a credit for the remaining months.

Also, I just got my millionth lifetime point today. I know most of you have more lifetime points, I'm just proud of this milestone (my wife was less than enthused when I told her)

Use your points. No tax
I renewed using trade credit and my total was $31.42. It was funny because I opted for the physical magazine and the register read $14.99 for the Elite Membership and $14.99 for Game Informer (which was the part that was taxed). I asked if I went digital would the tax go away and the cashier said no, but then again it may be worth a try (I just didn't bother to have the transaction start over just to test the theory).

As a gamer who primarily buys pre-owned I always renew with cash or credit. 30k points is just worth more than $30 in terms of pre-owned. I can buy at least $35 worth of pre-owned merch with 30K points.

I renewed using trade credit and my total was $31.42. It was funny because I opted for the physical magazine and the register read $14.99 for the Elite Membership and $14.99 for Game Informer (which was the part that was taxed). I asked if I went digital would the tax go away and the cashier said no, but then again it may be worth a try (I just didn't bother to have the transaction start over just to test the theory).

As a gamer who primarily buys pre-owned I always renew with cash or credit. 30k points is just worth more than $30 in terms of pre-owned. I can buy at least $35 worth of pre-owned merch with 30K points.
You're not making out as well as you think. You can't use your elite 20% discount on the pre-owned games you get with your certs until after the cert is applied. A game I just got gave me a $50 discount for 40k points. That 20% is the same as if you used credit and your PUR elite discount. I'd rather use my points on extending my membership because I can't get a discount on it with PUR. You're still spending about the same either way.

Does anyone know if PUR preowned certificates stack with promos? 

I'm going to be using 20 worth of certs on a pre-owned game and was wondering if it would bring it down to 10 so it can be part of the 4 for $20 promo.

Folks, are we certain that the B2G1 is dead on multiple sets?  I remember someone said on this forum the 1 set coupon was said to expire at the end of the year, but mine said "September 30..."

Folks, are we certain that the B2G1 is dead on multiple sets? I remember someone said on this forum the 1 set coupon was said to expire at the end of the year, but mine said "September 30..."
The coupon expiring on 7/31 is the last multi-set B2G1, while the 9/30 one only works on one set.

You're not making out as well as you think. You can't use your elite 20% discount on the pre-owned games you get with your certs until after the cert is applied. A game I just got gave me a $50 discount for 40k points. That 20% is the same as if you used credit and your PUR elite discount. I'd rather use my points on extending my membership because I can't get a discount on it with PUR. You're still spending about the same either way.
Well I'm not talking the difference between a Ferrari and a Camry in terms of which is more lucrative...just taking about making out ahead. If I buy a $56.99 used game it's $49.92 after Elite and 9.5% tax. If I use the $15 off pre-owned cert (12k points) its $36.78 after Elite and tax. So 12k points saved me $13.14. Multiply that by 2 (since we're trying to compare $30 to 30k points) and we save $26.28 using 24k points. And I still have 6k points left over. Every 1k points is worth $1.095...so multiply that by 30 and it comes to $32.85. So on the surface using points you come out $2.85 ahead. But then subtract the $1.42 I paid for tax and I came out $1.43 ahead using points instead of cash/credit. Since we were already taking about not wanting to pay a small tax, I think the analysis is relevant. #CAG-life-Economics.

Not to mention if GS brings back the Cyber Monday sale on pre-owned certs...

Well I'm not talking the difference between a Ferrari and a Camry in terms of which is more lucrative...just taking about making out ahead. If I buy a $56.99 used game it's $49.92 after Elite and 9.5% tax. If I use the $15 off pre-owned cert (12k points) its $36.78 after Elite and tax. So 12k points saved me $13.14. Multiply that by 2 (since we're trying to compare $30 to 30k points) and we save $26.28 using 24k points. And I still have 6k points left over. Every 1k points is worth $1.095...so multiply that by 30 and it comes to $32.85. So on the surface using points you come out $2.85 ahead. But then subtract the $1.42 I paid for tax and I came out $1.43 ahead using points instead of cash/credit. Since we were already taking about not wanting to pay a small tax, I think the analysis is relevant. #CAG-life-Economics.

Not to mention if GS brings back the Cyber Monday sale on pre-owned certs...
But your analysis doesn't factor in the B2G1 deals and other such deals LOL but really, because of all that, it's really just personal preference. You forgo one thing to get another.

I was very sad when they didn't do the cyber monday deal on certs

But your analysis doesn't factor in the B2G1 deals and other such deals LOL but really, because of all that, it's really just personal preference. You forgo one thing to get another.

I was very sad when they didn't do the cyber monday deal on certs
Yeah, basically. LOL. If my wife knew I thought this much about $1.05 cents when it comes to games she would REALLY hate videogames, LOL.

I have $5 off a preowned I purchased accidentally, does anyone want it I’m not going to be using it. Expires tomorrow

I have $5 off a preowned I purchased accidentally, does anyone want it I’m not going to be using it. Expires tomorrow
Don't allow a rewards cert to be used on another account. They used to ban people for that. I don't know if they still do, but I wouldn't risk it. Thanks for being generous, though!

How many years can we have on our account?
Should be 3 years.

On another note going to be adding Power Up rewards Pro, then Elite for two Buy2Get1 with points. How will that work? If I'm charged 15k points for the extra year of Pro. Will they charge another 15k or will I be charged 30k to upgrade the year to Elite?

Elite Pro cancelled as of August 1st, can renew before then
Ok so let's say I renew today for 2 extra years. I only get 1 b2g1 coupon, correct? What if I renew for 1 year today the tack on another year tomorrow? Will I get 2 different coupons? Thanks

Seems really weird to see retailers scaling back their game-purchase programs when digital seems to be ramping up, especially looking at more and more publishers embracing programs like Xbox Game Pass and EA Origin Access/Access Premier. Hell, I could have sworn I remember reading a rumor that Sony is looking to do a similar service as well.

I get the margins are razor thin, but we could end up in that slippery slope where more and more people migrate to subscription services and retailers further scale down their physical game presence and then those services jack the price up with no competition.

Should be 3 years.

On another note going to be adding Power Up rewards Pro, then Elite for two Buy2Get1 with points. How will that work? If I'm charged 15k points for the extra year of Pro. Will they charge another 15k or will I be charged 30k to upgrade the year to Elite?
Cool. I'll stop by my favorite store tomorrow and add as many years as the system will allow

Seems really weird to see retailers scaling back their game-purchase programs when digital seems to be ramping up, especially looking at more and more publishers embracing programs like Xbox Game Pass and EA Origin Access/Access Premier. Hell, I could have sworn I remember reading a rumor that Sony is looking to do a similar service as well.

I get the margins are razor thin, but we could end up in that slippery slope where more and more people migrate to subscription services and retailers further scale down their physical game presence and then those services jack the price up with no competition.
They're losing the incentive to keep them as they all ditch em, all 3 players having a discount program kept them in check, GCU and Elite going away I won't be surprised if Amazon US follows suit before years end

Should be 3 years.

Can anyone confirm that there is a strict limit?

I ended up going out (had to go to PO for work, which is across the street) and renewing again.  The employee I spoke to (who is my favorite employee) said he hopes it's not like the game pass, where they canceled it and issued refunds.  The look on his face when I told him was "Sh*t.  This is going to be a nightmare."  His SL was still on the conference call, so he hadn't been told yet.

Damn, so the limit is 3 years? I guess I'll have to renew my accounts a couple times each then. This coupled with terrible trade values, $56.99 price points, and no promos is going to make getting good deals a thing of the distant past really soon. At least the GS employees are going to have unreal pro numbers tomorrow.

Sorry if I'm slow but I'm a little confused on the terminology being used... My Elite expired last month and I was considering enrolling in Elite Pro. I have until August 1st to do so, or is that it for me?

Sorry if I'm slow but I'm a little confused on the terminology being used... My Elite expired last month and I was considering enrolling in Elite Pro. I have until August 1st to do so, or is that it for me?
From what I read on the thread, you have until tomorrow to enroll. As of 8/1, no more elite extensions or new enrollees

You have until August 1st, after that they cannot sign you up for Elite Pro, and cannot renew an existing membership further

The big question is what will the promos look like now without Elite? Will they just push Pro memberships and not include Elite when listing trade values since not many people will have that membership? Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back