2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had GameStop been selling movies (Blu-ray and DVD ) recently? Did they stop at some point?

I just got shipping for an order. UPS usually says "GameStop [store number]", but this time it says "GameStop & Movies [store number]". I googled GameStop movies and they have DVD and Blu-ray listings that aren't (easily?) accessible via the main menus.
I had a store that carried some movies a few years ago but none in my area do anymore. The store never had a different name, just a slightly larger footprint than other in my area.

I'm not mad? I don't see how it's trolling to point out the rather obvious fact that GS can only sell what they receive: if people trade in disc-only games, that's all they can sell. Why would anyone be mad at GS for that? In fact, they tried to sell complete games on their website for a week or so years ago and obviously, it didn't work out.

I can't imagine it's worth anyone's time to hold onto a case, create an eBay listing, wait for it to sell, then ship it for a few bucks.
Why would I give gamestop a case if they don’t give me on when I buy something

I don’t do this with new games anyway...people were discussing retro games...however I do it with steelbooks cause people pay $15-40 for steelbooks...steelbook collectors are real....how about you buy your games new this way you get everything

I look at it this way:

I don't want a game without a case when I buy it, and have passed on purchasing at Gamestop when the case is not included. It's not Gamestop you are selling that game to, it's some future customer. It's not like Gamestop can convert it into diamonds with some arcane furnace in the back.

I also believe that my actions are my own. Doing something because someone did it to you harkens back to the "if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" aphorism.

I don't expect anyone to believe the same way, and I have certainly kept a nice metal case in the past when converting to digital, so I don't begrudge anyone else's actions, especially when it involves income. Just call a spade a spade.

The retro stuff in store is a good move from what I've seen in the my area (we have 7 stores in my district that sell retro).  Some of the prices are surprisingly cheap and best of all they qualify for the promos.  With the 3 for $15 deal & elite pro discount I only paid $12.84 for Super Mario World (SNES), Super Mario Land (GB) and Super Mario Land 2 (GB).  

They are weird with pricing on some of them.  One store is stuck with a copy of NBA Street Vol 2 for Gamecube at $25.  Meanwhile, Dragon Quest 8 for PS2 is $8 (obviously qualifies for the 3 for $15 as well)

One store "converted" a single 1.5' wire rack behind the counter to retro and within a day sold a game for $40 that they paid $11 for, so on a profit & loss situation (and amount of space taken up in store)  it seems way better than all those dumb plushes and knick-knacks that go on clearance after a month. 

I look at it this way:

I don't want a game without a case when I buy it, and have passed on purchasing at Gamestop when the case is not included.
While I can understand that thought process that's more of a collectors attitude and more importantly you are missing the point that gamestop throws away original cases so even if you give them yours it is unlikely it will be given to someone else.

"Doing something because someone did it to you harkens back to the "if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" aphorism."

That's the wrong saying and really off the mark. You are looking for an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind vs do unto others what they do unto you. Gamestop isn't your friend. And it's certainly not possible to do what they do back to them though it would be hilarious.

Why would I give gamestop a case if they don’t give me on when I buy something
I don’t do this with new games anyway...people were discussing retro games...however I do it with steelbooks cause people pay $15-40 for steelbooks...steelbook collectors are real....how about you buy your games new this way you get everything
...you just answered your own question. You don't get the cases because people like you keep them when they trade in the games. Are you happy with getting disc-only games when you buy games? But you don't mind screwing someone else over. You're not screwing GS. GS doesn't care if the game you trade in has a case or not because they sell it for the same price either way.

While I can understand that thought process that's more of a collectors attitude and more importantly you are missing the point that gamestop throws away original cases so even if you give them yours it is unlikely it will be given to someone else.
It's not a collector's attitude to want consumers to get a satisfactory product. He used the right saying - just because everyone else does the bare minimum doesn't mean you have to too. It just boggles my mind that people are willing to pass on the buck for a couple of bucks. It's not worth your own time, first of all. During the B2G1 sale that just ended, I bought dozens of games to trade into Amazon to get my third game in each order for free. I was getting literally dozens of games free for every two games that I ship off to Amazon for the same trade value that I purchased the games for. These dozens of games that I get to keep for free are worth hundreds easily, and it was already becoming a chore to prepare multiple packages to ship to Amazon. So that someone would go through this kind of trouble for a case would be like walking a mile to a farther supermarket just to save a couple of cents on milk or something like that.

GS doesn't care if the game you trade in has a case or not
This, actually, is the source problem behind what consumers get from their stores. The antagonism toward others is unwarranted.

During the B2G1 sale that just ended, I bought dozens of games to trade into Amazon to get my third game in each order for free. I was getting literally dozens of games free for every two games that I ship off to Amazon for the same trade value that I purchased the games for. These dozens of games that I get to keep for free are worth hundreds easily
Cool story. You sure it's a good idea to be bragging about that here?

Stupid question, as I don't get reward certificates a lot, do they work when picking up a preorder if I say only put $5 down and still owe the rest?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This, actually, is the source problem behind what consumers get from their stores. The antagonism toward others is unwarranted.
No, sorry. Actually, it's not. How is a consumer-friendly, lenient trade-in policy the source of GS's disc-only problem? They can only sell what's traded in. Their return policy used to be 14 days too before people started to abuse it. And they were pretty liberal about giving away pennied out guides and items until people started reselling them. You can also opt to pay nothing when you visit a museum, but the model only works if most people voluntarily pay something.

Does anyone know how long the extra 50% trade in bonus is going until? When does it end? I don’t see it advertised anywhere.

I should be clear and say it's less of a collector's attitude than looking to reduce friction while flipping. Best Buy (and Blockbuster before them) is/was a lot more critical of incomplete trades regardless of company policy. There are even Gamestop locations I avoid because I know the staff will attempt to apply refurb fees to things I bought from another Gamestop 30 minutes prior.

As for tossing cases, I guess that's not as prevalent in my area. Any system they sell games for has at least a few with original cases. Maybe the others were disposed of, but I would suspect attrition over action.

I agree retro gaming may have different corporate rules, and I will admit to my lack of knowledge in that area.

That's the wrong saying and really off the mark. You are looking for an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind vs do unto others what they do unto you. Gamestop isn't your friend. And it's certainly not possible to do what they do back to them though it would be hilarious.
No, I chose the saying I intended. I don't look at it as someone seeking revenge on Gamestop and cautioning against it. I'm saying that just because Gamestop (and by extension, their other customers) does something, doesn't mean I should do it, too. I should make my own choice based on what I want the outcome to be.

Other hot takes:
- I despise the "open-new" policy.
- I dislike when they announce my total point value to the whole store.
- I am glad the whole "accost you with a tablet" phase is over.
- I want to live near a CSAC exempt store, but not actually move.
- I wish they treated employees better so the competent people would stick around.

Had GameStop been selling movies (Blu-ray and DVD ) recently? Did they stop at some point?

I just got shipping for an order. UPS usually says "GameStop [store number]", but this time it says "GameStop & Movies [store number]". I googled GameStop movies and they have DVD and Blu-ray listings that aren't (easily?) accessible via the main menus.
They used to years ago. They even started a movie-only store chain called "MovieStop." The last MovieStop in my area closed about 3 to 4 years ago.

I was in a GameStop today and the guy in from of me bought a GPG for a Switch sports game. I'm so thankful for these clueless customers who keep the dream alive for the rest of us.

- I am glad the whole "accost you with a tablet" phase is over.
It's not though. I got accosted twice in the past week. I kindly told the guy I'll be happy to look at my offers when I'm ready to check out. He didn't drop it, saying his manager wants him to do it. I told him that I'm sure his manager wants the customer to be happy with their experience. He grumbled, went to the manager and loudly complained that I wouldn't give him my phone number. Good job, guy!

You sure it isn't? It's in the flyer and on the website. The guys at the three stores I went to the last couple days didn't know about it either, but it works. Just have to buy ANY one pre-owned game and oyu can trade-in as many as you want.
Edit: My bad I was just going by the app, hadn’t looked at the ad flyer.

Let me take a moment to spread some Gamestop love

If you wait for a good promo, Gamestop's console trade-in deals are the best.

1) avoid hassles, low-ball offers, listing-to-sell time, fees/shipping, etc with the secondary markets (FB Marketplace, eBay, etc)

2) GS store credit is tax-free for me, which means saves a bundle on tax towards the new system

All in all, they save me a lot of time, money, and energy, so I look forward to copping the next-gen consoles from them.

Last gen I went with BB, since buying consoles helped me reach Elite tier, but since they've done away with GCU my spending now all goes elsewhere and I don't bother reaching Elite anymore.  So I'm thankful for Gamestop's continued existence.

They are in a peculiar place, because investor's are not optimistic about their future (and rightly so), but they are not dying in any sense at all if you look at their financials -- which should be the only metric to judge the health of a company (not stock price).  If Gamestop was a video game character, they would have:

999/999 HP

99/99 Defense

1/99 Attack

Like a Dan expert from Street Fighter, with really good defensive game, and turtle-shelling, but not much else.

Just a reminder to people to have them scan your physical card or the digital card/barcode in the app for your membership.

I've yet to 100% confirm this however I believe they/people can redeem stuff with just your phone number, and if they announce your phone number out loud... along with the probably outrageous point count it could be bad.

This might also just be my paranoia, though in general saying out loud my phone number gives me the jeebies.

Just a reminder to people to have them scan your physical card or the digital card/barcode in the app for your membership.

I've yet to 100% confirm this however I believe they/people can redeem stuff with just your phone number, and if they announce your phone number out loud... along with the probably outrageous point count it could be bad.

This might also just be my paranoia, though in general saying out loud my phone number gives me the jeebies.
or you can just type it in the pinpad

1) avoid hassles, low-ball offers, listing-to-sell time, fees/shipping, etc with the secondary markets (FB Marketplace, eBay, etc)

2) GS store credit is tax-free for me, which means saves a bundle on tax towards the new system

1- you don't have to put offers on your auctions so need need for lowball offers. Shipping isnt much for most things as you grab some free priority shipping boxes from the post office and print/pay for a label via Ebay and you get a discount for doing so. And those boxes ship the same in the US regardless of weight so you tape the label on it and drop it at the post office and walk away. And it has delivery confirmation built in that automatically gets loaded to ebay for the buyer. All the rest of the hassle is very small and depends on if you're willing to double your money for a little extra effort. Going to gamestop already means you have to take time to drive to a store, wait in line, etc so what's a little more effort for a lot more money?

Resident evil 2 tiv on gamestop is 19.80 but it has sold listings on ebay for around so when you're done you made about 32 which is 12 dollars more in your pocket. Do that multiple times and you have a lot more in your pocket. And older games or sought after games? Forget about it. Gravity rush remastered has 24 dollar tiv at lamestop but has recently sold listings on ebay for 50 to 80. Ebay you can sell larger amounts of lower value games more at once to people who want the convenience of a instant collection and earn more. And those trade in values I mentioned are if you're a elite member which you have to pay them to be in the first place.

And all that gamestop credit isnt worth much unless you love toys or clearance items because they the vast majority of the time are more expensive on what they call "new" games. Resident evil 2 is 60 dollars on their website now but its 37 on Amazon and 40 at bestbuy and their used price is 55 while gamefly has it used for 30 and gamefly will make sure you get the box and original materials while gamestop is a crapshoot you'll even get artwork. When other stores are putting newish games on sale or offering 10 dollar rewards for pre orders or simply making games down good old gamestop still is full msrp.

Lamestop trading in is a fool's game and for the lazy, nothing more. Although I will admit on occasion you can get some great tiv when you hit those brief window periods where you can exploit a game tiv on something someone else is selling for less than their tiv is with some promo they are running.

My local Gamestop is now a part of the test market for price matching games. I was told they only price match local competitors like Walmart, Target and Best Buy. They priced matched Walmart for Dragon Quest Builders 2 at $49.96.

Seriously looking into some of these 50%+ TIV. It seems like Pokemon titles and others are actually quite a deal in many cases. Going to have to make an Excel chart and do some math :). Thanks guys for the heads up!

1- you don't have to put offers on your auctions so need need for lowball offers. Shipping isnt much for most things as you grab some free priority shipping boxes from the post office and print/pay for a label via Ebay and you get a discount for doing so. And those boxes ship the same in the US regardless of weight so you tape the label on it and drop it at the post office and walk away. And it has delivery confirmation built in that automatically gets loaded to ebay for the buyer. All the rest of the hassle is very small and depends on if you're willing to double your money for a little extra effort. Going to gamestop already means you have to take time to drive to a store, wait in line, etc so what's a little more effort for a lot more money?
Not sure how you're getting such cheap shipping unless you're using some negotiated shipping like a company account. But for normal people like me, the cheapest priority shipping is over $7 for a 3 ounce package unless you're shipping to the same state or 1-2 states away. And maybe your post office doesn't care, but my post office and all the ones I've gone to don't allow you to use priority boxes to ship non-priority. I get rejected every time, even if I try to cover it up. First class mail is still about $3-4. I wouldn't call that cheap unless you're selling a game that is of higher value. But most of the games I would want to get rid of aren't that high, so Gamestop is usually a better option.

So while some of what you said is true, I'd say it's 50/50. Ebay is not always better and I've had plenty of Gamestop trade-ins that would have given me more, or the same amount. So I would rather go to Gamestop than deal with the hassle of potentially getting scammed. Ebay/paypal fees plus shipping usually eat into any of the "double money" netting essentially the same amount or less.

Since you're using current prices (obviously being on this site, we all know not to buy anything at retail price and wait for sales, but since you were using current values I'll do so as well) Pokemon Lets go I can sell for $35 on ebay right now. Minus shipping and fees, that's like $28-29. Or I can trade to Gamestop right now for $42 after promo and purchasing a .50 used game.

So yea, at least for me, rare and limited games should definitely be sold to places like Ebay, but common games that have constant sales are usually more convenient to trade at Gamestop.

Kintanos, you're assessment seems very accurate. Rare games or collectible games are better on eBay / Amazon / Mercari, etc. and cheaper games or ones that involve a lot of shipping fees and such are essentially better with Gamestop (or at least a lot less hassle) during Promos. I wish that I had gotten the Elite Pro (never knew about it until just now) but even still Pro Deals are often quite good for trade-ins. Thanks for pointing out the Pokemon Let's Go trade as well. Going to do that one!

Resident evil 2 tiv on gamestop is 19.80 but it has sold listings on ebay for around so when you're done you made about 32 which is 12 dollars more in your pocket.
RE2 PS4 pre-owned is selling for $32-$34 free shipping used on eBay, if you look at completed listings. Subtract at least $3.50 for shipping and 12.9% in fees (~$4.20+0.30 for PayPal). Let's say you list at $32 for a quicker sale since GS trade-in is immediate that day. You are looking at $24 off eBay. And GameStop TIV is $18 base. Meaning with pro and a trade-in bonus of 50% right now, you are looking at $28.80 in store credit.

That's nearly $5 more than eBay, but it is cash vs credit. You need to be able to find the right deals in order to convert to cash or Amazon credit, which I never have a problem doing 3-4 times a year.

And we haven't even gotten to the best part. No pictures. No used condition problems. No worrying about shipping or if it will get lost/broken in the mail. Not really any extra time if already doing some errands.

And NO BUYER SCAMS. eBay is ridiculous. I'd rather sell to gamestop or Craigslist even if it meant losing $5-$10. But in the example you gave, GameStop actually gives you MORE money for the game. eBay is strictly good for selling antiques and rare hobby items. Everything else is literally any other method but eBay. Because at eBay, the buyer is always right.

By the way, the eBay label shipping discount is almost negligible nowadays. This is coming from someone who regularly sells vintage, antique, and rare items on eBay.

My local Gamestop is now a part of the test market for price matching games. I was told they only price match local competitors like Walmart, Target and Best Buy. They priced matched Walmart for Dragon Quest Builders 2 at $49.96.
Wish my local store would start doing this. They'd ensure that they'd get a lot more of my money this way, I live less than a mile from the store so convince and lowest price would be a huge deal for me.

I'll have to ask them if they are doing this when I stop in tonight to pay off MUA3 which is surely $49.96 at Wal-Mart.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?
Southeast Missouri, from what I gathered my store is going to be a test store for a lot of the new business tactics. They have little flyers at the checkout that has some of the price match policy on them. If I head back that way today I'll try to grab one and post a pic.

To the person talking about selling fees they have times where there are none like this current month for 5 items.  If you use ebay like you say then you shouldn't be omitting information.  I am aware that the period for this month has already passed of course.

I'll give credit where credit's due to GameStop. Price-matching is surprisingly rare these days, as many retailers have either shitcanned their price-match programs or gone out of business. With that in mind, seeing GS give it a go is actually rad.

I hope they expand it beyond their test stores. I'll shop there much more if they do.

To the person talking about selling fees they have times where there are none like this current month for 5 items. If you use ebay like you say then you shouldn't be omitting information. I am aware that the period for this month has already passed of course.
they also shouldnt be claiming flat rate priority shipping is $3, with the price increase in june you can barely get first class mail shipped for $3.

I saw someone mention a 50% trade promo going on right now. I didn't see anything online about it and just saw the usual "Trade towards 'x' game and get 20% extra trade credit" right now. Looking to dump some stuff I am not playing to pick up MUA3 and put some money towards Fire Emblem as well. 

To the person talking about selling fees they have times where there are none like this current month for 5 items. If you use ebay like you say then you shouldn't be omitting information. I am aware that the period for this month has already passed of course.
Must be YMMV. I didn't receive any such offer. What did you click to get that offer?

I saw someone mention a 50% trade promo going on right now. I didn't see anything online about it and just saw the usual "Trade towards 'x' game and get 20% extra trade credit" right now. Looking to dump some stuff I am not playing to pick up MUA3 and put some money towards Fire Emblem as well.
The offer is the first one on GameStop.com/trade. Expires on Saturday

Unless you're talking about some magical super-targeted promotion eBay decided to do for you that wouldn't be relevant for anyone else in this thread, it was 50% off FVF for 5 items selling at $50 or more. Or if you meant insertion fees, you get 50 of those free every month. Not free FVF. If you're going to accuse somebody else of misinformation, it helps not to get it wrong yourself.

EDIT: Just looking it up, the last instance I can find of them offering zero FVF at all was back in 2015, and that was specifically for some European sellers. So even if you saw something rare like that in your messages, it's definitely not a regular thing and therefore irrelevant, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back