2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, traded in 9 PS4 games today; didn't know this worked on older stuff. If it works tomorrow, gonna go get more because I don't really care to keep the clutter anymore.

Do they decline discs due to heavy scratches? I found a few games I’d love to get rid of but don’t wanna take a lot of scratched games and have them be declined

Just looked through my receipt and looks like they put in black ops twice, same sku. I don't think I had two copies of that game, I hope I don't get banned from that...
I think I was the one that created this fear pages ago. seems like we don't need to worry about it

I've never done a system transfer on the Switch. What exactly does it pass and not pass over when a transfer is initiated? I'm scared about losing my multiple profiles and saves and etc.

If I have multiple accounts activated on the console, do I need to do anything about them or they are good?

And for SD Cards, if I have 2 128GB SD Cards filled with games, will I still need to redownload them on the new Switch?

So not sure if it was already mentioned, but to now qualify for the $35 free express shipping (for elite pro members), your cart total needs to be above $35 after all discounts. It used to be that your cart total just needed to be above $35 at the start before any discounts (like 2x $19.99 preowned games would get free express despite the final total being $26.86 [pre-tax]). Not too surprised given the revamp of the site, but yeah that sucks.

I've never done a system transfer on the Switch. What exactly does it pass and not pass over when a transfer is initiated? I'm scared about losing my multiple profiles and saves and etc.

If I have multiple accounts activated on the console, do I need to do anything about them or they are good?

And for SD Cards, if I have 2 128GB SD Cards filled with games, will I still need to redownload them on the new Switch?
The system transfers each user separately so you’ll have to transfer each one. It will transfer all the users saves and profile info. (The only reason to use this if you have NSO is for the few games that don’t backup to the cloud. Otherwise you can just sign in on the new console and upload your saves)

It doesn’t transfer over games so you will have to redownload all your games and updates. When you insert the SD card, the system will give the option to reformat the card. (They’re linked to the system, not account). The good news is that pictures and videos are not deleted so you don’t have to back those up anywhere. It just will take a while if you have a lot of games to download.

I just did it myself a couple hours ago and it went smoothly. The actual transfer took about 15 min. Then just had to go to the eShop, to my account and redownload games and you’ll see the list of all your games.

Do they decline discs due to heavy scratches? I found a few games I’d love to get rid of but don’t wanna take a lot of scratched games and have them be declined
I had a few games for lots that I picked up over the last year or so that were heavily scratched. The GS employee just processed them as normal. I left with $340 in trade in credit after trading in 37 games or so. I bought my Switch for $305. I saved $20-$30 in tax by using store credit. I would hit up some local Goodwill stores, but the pickings were quite slim the last time I went browsing around.

Is anyone trading in their Switch to get the new one? $200 + $25 bonus trade-in. $75 to upgrade, worth it?
I'd say yes. You get a new warranty, new joy-cons, and improved cooling. A friend of mine has sank a ton of hours into his Switch, and I told him he should upgrade. $75 + tax is close to buying joy-cons at full retail. I asked my fiance if she wanted to trade in her Switch for the brand new one, and she declined. You can't win them all I guess.

So, interesting story. There is a second PUR account with my name on it and nobody has any idea how it happened. I looked at the number/points and they didn’t match my Elite Pro account.
Same situation for me at one of the stores I frequent. They always ask me if it's the elite or pro account. Doesn't happen at any other store but this one, and it's not the original store I signed up at. This has been the case for a year+, so it's not due to this week's upgrades/changes.

I *do* have 2 back up accounts, but they do not share any info across them and I was not the person who signed up for them. Nor have I ever used my license on them for cash trades, I only use my license on my one main account.

It is a mystery.

edit: It pulls up when I enter my phone number. I should ask them to see the monitor and points, etc.

No personal frame of reference (only 1 switch), but the OG switch apparently can become a portable emulation machine due to a hardware exploit Nintendo cannot fix. (if someone knows more or i have misspoke please correct me)

No personal frame of reference (only 1 switch), but the OG switch apparently can become a portable emulation machine due to a hardware exploit Nintendo cannot fix. (if someone knows more or i have misspoke please correct me)
Correct, the OG switch can be hacked to put homebrew/emulators on it, but from what I understand if you use it online at all you run a high risk of getting banned. It seems likely the new switch will eventually be hacked also, its just a matter of time. But if homebrew is important to you, better off sticking with the old one for now.

I just got a wii u for emulation, $100 and can run gc,wii,wii u natively. Gba,nes,snes,ps1 should be fine too.

If you already have an exploitable switch, just keep it.

Wow, what a piece of shit website. They made it moron friendly, clearly, and made it harder for those who know what they're doing, to get it done. No way to sort by sale prices, filters that reset even when you click to another tab and go back, massive pictures for the intelligence impared, and no way to go back to a list view.

If gsdave were still around, I'd give him a piece of my mind, and wait for him to spout corporate speak about why I'm wrong in response.

But he isn't, so now i have to stew

Wow, what a piece of shit website. They made it moron friendly, clearly, and made it harder for those who know what they're doing, to get it done. No way to sort by sale prices, filters that reset even when you click to another tab and go back, massive pictures for the intelligence impared, and no way to go back to a list view.

If gsdave were still sold, I'd give him a piece of my mind, and wait for him to spout corporate speak about why I'm wrong in response.

But he isn't, so now i have to stew
Business stand-point, I can see why.

For anyone curious, old gen games still work. Traded in some $2-$3 ds games and got $7-$8 for each. Also grabbed 46 PS4 games off of someone on letgo for $150. Kept 6 of them and got $366 in credit for the other 40. Grabbed a improved battery switch, going to transfer and trade my old one

For anyone curious, old gen games still work. Traded in some $2-$3 ds games and got $7-$8 for each. Also grabbed 46 PS4 games off of someone on letgo for $150. Kept 6 of them and got $366 in credit for the other 40. Grabbed a improved battery switch, going to transfer and trade my old one
I appreciate that info. Anyone try retro yet today? I'll be taking some later if no one else reports on it.

Yeah, it feels like this new website is intentionally trying to make bargain hunting more difficult, in hopes of getting more deal-hunter/CAG foot traffic in the actual stores. Reminds me of the concept of "hostile architecture/infrastructure":

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_architecture
Except why would we go in store now? Figuring out which store has which game is now an unbelievably unpleasant process. Same with the no-longer-filterable price drops.

Everything is more difficult on the new site.

We should be more concerned about the ability/loss of knowing if there will be a SB. The old keywords are only bringing up like 15% of the bumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back