2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at about $700 and just waiting for next gen or a very very good deal on Switch stuff.

That said I wouldn't be happy if I was sitting on $1000+ in credit. I would probably look to bring that way down.

Like I said earlier, if GS's policy on trade credit was only able to be used on games (new or used, in stock and pre-orders both) and consoles right from the start this wouldn't be an issue. I expected my TC to be used on what they told me it could be used on, not a bait and switch move. (essentially) Effectively restricting the credit usage without warning. If GS made the announcement that after a certain date i could no longer use it on certain things.. i'd be less concerned about it. The fact they are making these changes without warning is the issue to me.

I'd assume they do make something on all the gift cards to other store etc or they wouldn't have them to sell in the first place. Granted it's probably not much.

Now has anyone tried to use their TC on any of the cards listed on that list today? Cause if the list is not true, this whole conversation is for nothing.

As for the low trade in high pre-owned turn around, look at the older games. Super Mario sunshine, $12 cash (up to $16.50 credit), $49 pre-owned. There are lots of examples with older titles, look back the last few pages and people were saying they would have given others twice what GS gave them in credit on some games (even with the bonus)

And I knew the Switch price would drop...
Bait and switch

FFS

Bait and switch

FFS
Today: Trade in your games for store credit to use on ANYTHING in store including Gift cards.

Next day you go to use credit, TC is only allowed on games. NO warning. Effectively making the TC worth a lot less.

I didn't say it WAS bait and switch, i said it essentially was bait and switch. Learn the difference.

I tried using TC on gift cards last night (Home Depot), but the employee was telling me TC would not work when I swiped them in the card reader.

Were they just bullshitting me and preventing me from using it somehow because they knew that TC would no longer be allowed tender?

Today: Trade in your games for store credit to use on ANYTHING in store including Gift cards.
Next day you go to use credit, TC is only allowed on games. NO warning. Effectively making the TC worth a lot less.

I didn't say it WAS bait and switch, i said it essentially was bait and switch. Learn the difference.
You’re hearing what you want to hear.

They want you spending your credit on their items, not buying a gift card somewhere else. Other stores do the same thing and GameStop is just catching up. Come down off your high horse and use some common sense.

Like I said earlier, if GS's policy on trade credit was only able to be used on games (new or used, in stock and pre-orders both) and consoles right from the start this wouldn't be an issue. I expected my TC to be used on what they told me it could be used on, not a bait and switch move. (essentially) Effectively restricting the credit usage without warning. If GS made the announcement that after a certain date i could no longer use it on certain things.. i'd be less concerned about it. The fact they are making these changes without warning is the issue to me.
I'll just leave this here:

GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.
That would be the trade in terms posted on their website for EITHER cash or in store credit.

https://www.gamestop.com/trade/

TERMS & CONDITIONS
Prices valid today only. Prices do not reflect applicable state taxes and fees, if any. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. All trades are subject to manager approval. GameStop reserves the right to cease taking trades of any product without notice. By trading your product to GameStop, you release GameStop from any claim relating to the product (including but not limited to loss of a device or its contents) and any music, pictures or other data stored on it. You also release GameStop from any claim for loss or unauthorized access, use or disclosure of any personal or private data or information stored on the device. All trades are final. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in select GameStop stores only. iPod®, iPhone® and iPad® (including images thereof) are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. GameStop, Inc. is not affiliated with or endorsed by Apple Inc. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offers valid only towards items normally accepted in trade. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. PowerUp Rewards Pro 10% extra in-store credit applies only when trading games, accessories, or consumer electronics. PowerUp Rewards Elite Pro 20% extra in-store credit applies only when trading games, accessories, or consumer electronics. It does not apply to the trade of systems, which include, but are not limited to, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo gaming consoles.

That would be the trade in terms posted on their website for EITHER cash or in store credit.

https://www.gamestop.com/trade/
TERMS & CONDITIONS

Prices valid today only. Prices do not reflect applicable state taxes and fees, if any. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. All trades are subject to manager approval. GameStop reserves the right to cease taking trades of any product without notice. By trading your product to GameStop, you release GameStop from any claim relating to the product (including but not limited to loss of a device or its contents) and any music, pictures or other data stored on it. You also release GameStop from any claim for loss or unauthorized access, use or disclosure of any personal or private data or information stored on the device. All trades are final. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in select GameStop stores only. iPod®, iPhone® and iPad® (including images thereof) are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. GameStop, Inc. is not affiliated with or endorsed by Apple Inc. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offers valid only towards items normally accepted in trade. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. PowerUp Rewards Pro 10% extra in-store credit applies only when trading games, accessories, or consumer electronics. PowerUp Rewards Elite Pro 20% extra in-store credit applies only when trading games, accessories, or consumer electronics. It does not apply to the trade of systems, which include, but are not limited to, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo gaming consoles.
Should not come as a surprise they changed how the credit can be used, that disclaimer's in literally every offer they have...

I tried using TC on gift cards last night (Home Depot), but the employee was telling me TC would not work when I swiped them in the card reader.

Were they just bullshitting me and preventing me from using it somehow because they knew that TC would no longer be allowed tender?
That @$$hole lied to you. I got a Lowe's card yesterday at 5:30 EST (after I saw the rumor about Southwest)

Relax

Gamestop's website states that the $5 bonus is only on Switch, Xbone and PS4 games.  I don't see it in the fine print though.  Did they change it or do all games still work?  Got a few 3DS games I was thinking of trading in.

relax

Key word, the OFFER.

Changing the OFFER after it's been made is the issue. The OFFER is for credit or cash. the OFFER for the value can be changed or removed at their discretion. 

Nintendo/PSN/Live/Steam you buy credit today to spend on ANY game at any time on sale or not, tomorrow they say you can no longer spend the credit you put in your account yesterday on any game less than full retail. You are saying thats fine cause thats their policy?

I got $225 store credit for my Switch last week, according to you they can now tell me I would owe them $50 cause the OFFER for the Switch changed today... 

The change to the deal retroactively changing the value of what was already agreed upon, is the issue. 

I'm not claiming something illegal... i'm saying it's BS and questionable practices. 

I mean, every company in human history has used that type of disclaimer to give themselves wiggle room...

GS was obviously in their right to make the change. It's also a common, understandable policy. At the same time, implementing a policy like this without warning is never a good look and I'm not surprised they're catching some flak for it.

But, that's the way it goes with struggling chains. They're gonna take a "move fast and break things" approach just to keep the lights on. This is another reminder that it's good to utilize GS's best deals and policies ASAP, since they'll probably be nixed in the near future.

I mean, every company in human history has used that type of disclaimer to give themselves wiggle room...

GS was obviously in their right to make the change. It's also a common, understandable policy. At the same time, implementing a policy like this without warning is never a good look and I'm not surprised they're catching some flak for it.

But, that's the way it goes with struggling chains. They're gonna take a "move fast and break things" approach just to keep the lights on. This is another reminder that it's good to utilize GS's best deals and policies ASAP, since they'll probably be nixed in the near future.
They are getting quite "Thebacklash"

I'd assume they do make something on all the gift cards to other store etc or they wouldn't have them to sell in the first place. Granted it's probably not much.

Now has anyone tried to use their TC on any of the cards listed on that list today? Cause if the list is not true, this whole conversation is for nothing.

As for the low trade in high pre-owned turn around, look at the older games. Super Mario sunshine, $12 cash (up to $16.50 credit), $49 pre-owned. There are lots of examples with older titles, look back the last few pages and people were saying they would have given others twice what GS gave them in credit on some games (even with the bonus)

And I knew the Switch price would drop...
OKay, sure I'll grant that it's a bit of a dick move to change it without warning. But TC already didn't work on several of the cards, so on the ones it did work, it felt more like a loophole than anything. As for the trade-in values vs retail...running a business is expensive. Also, when dealing with games a good percentage you take in is going to either not work, need refurbishment (which costs money), or is a fake. You don't have to throw very many $15 games in the garbage before it starts to effect your bottom line. If you want cash AND top dollar, then put the risk, the time, and the effort on yourself and sell them on ebay.

Gamestop's website states that the $5 bonus is only on Switch, Xbone and PS4 games. I don't see it in the fine print though. Did they change it or do all games still work? Got a few 3DS games I was thinking of trading in.
It was still working Sunday afternoon when I did my last trade of a Wii and 3DS game and this was after they updated the verbiage. I suspect it's still all games, but considering the trade credit use on gift card change, it could have changed since then.

OKay, sure I'll grant that it's a bit of a dick move to change it without warning. But TC already didn't work on several of the cards, so on the ones it did work, it felt more like a loophole than anything. As for the trade-in values vs retail...running a business is expensive. Also, when dealing with games a good percentage you take in is going to either not work, need refurbishment (which costs money), or is a fake. You don't have to throw very many $15 games in the garbage before it starts to effect your bottom line. If you want cash AND top dollar, then put the risk, the time, and the effort on yourself and sell them on ebay.
Yeah thats mainly what i'm saying, it's a dick move to change it without warning.

BB did similar with GCU, but one major difference... they just quit selling the service. Anyone with GCU paid up for say the next 20 years could still keep it with no changes.

GCU and black friday changes were met with the same complaints, sure within their rights.. but it sucked. If BB cancels everyone's remaining GCU tomorrow... imagine the outrage then.

Finally got Fire Emblem: Three Houses used for $40! It's $54.99 used, than 20% off with Elite Pro and another 16% off with CAG16. Did pickup in store for it and used credit from this $5 extra promo.

Sucks that the store wasn't my local store but glad I got it.

Also traded in another animal crossing and did get the $5 bonus.

82pcAGZ.jpg

This GS situation reminds me of a story when game crazy (remember them?) closed.

I remember waking into game crazy and buying some sale games and they started trying to sell me on their MVP card (basically same as GS’s power up pro), telling me it was even on sale for 5 dollars off. Now this was the same week that there were articles coming out that Hollywood was finally closing all game crazy’s, so I explained to them that I can’t buy the MVP card because I didn’t know how much longer Game Crazy would be around as they announced they were shutting them. Lol the guys at the counter were so insulted they immediately responded with “where’d you hear that?! That’s absolutely wrong we’re not closing, we’re one of the locations that are staying open!!” They would not have any of it.

2 weeks later I came back and they were having a final out of business closing sale lol...
That was just weeks after Best Buy was doing another free game coupon with Fairy Tale Fights. I cleaned my BB out and took them to GC for like $30 each IIRC. Told them I got them cheap at BB and after trading them all in, had to use up my credit in a hurry a few days later when they started liquidating. That was a crazy time lol.

Always, always force their hand and ask to try it anyway. If they refuse, ask for a manager. If they are the manager, report their ass to upper management and move all your business to another store if possible. It is not their job to enforce future policies, only immediately effective ones. The memo stated it was starting today, so yesterday it was not enforced, verbally or via POS.

Either they lied to you or were ignorant AF. In either case, hearing shit like this pisses me off and if I had been in the store overhearing it, you better believe I'd be in their face. :bomb:

Edited this post because I was an obnoxious a-hole, just want to point out that they didn't even carry these gift cards until 2012/2013, and they were doing just fine before then. You can still buy gaming currency.

I do understand why people that wanted to spend their credit on Southwest cards would be upset. You can always flip Move controllers for cash.

Yes they have. I used them all the time. I doubt they will work anymore today though.
I tried using a $25 cert about 2 weeks back on a Nike GC and it didn't work. I'm aware that it did at one point in time but I meant referring to recently, prior to today's mass blocking. Anyhow moot point now unfortunately.

I have 75,000 Rewards Center Points. Should I cash out? If so, on which certificates
The only thing i worried about with having all those points was my account getting hacked and someone cashing them all out for me. Gamestop is going to honoring those points for quite some time yet. So cash out for whatever, whenever you want.

I tried using a $25 cert about 2 weeks back on a Nike GC and it didn't work. I'm aware that it did at one point in time but I meant referring to recently, prior to today's mass blocking. Anyhow moot point now unfortunately.
I used a $25 and a $50 on amazon cards yesterday.

Hello fellow CAGS. Today I went to GameStop & was able to purchase a GameStop gift card with GameStop trade credit. I’ve been accumulating quite a bit of trade credit with this $5 extra promo going on. Afterward, using my GameStop gift card, I attempted to purchase Subway, Dominos & Amazon. None of which worked. So I don’t know if GameStop is able to track that my gift card was purchased with trade credit & that’s why it didn’t work or if it just wouldn’t work regardless of how the gift card was paid for. So even if the gift card was purchased with a credit card or cash it might not allow customers to buy any other gift cards. Didn’t try anything else but assuming it’s not going to work based off my attempt.

BUT I was able to use trade credit (assuming the gift card should work too but can’t confirm) to purchase a year of Nintendo online, $25 PSN card, $15 XBL & $35 eShop. So that still works. For now.

Hello fellow CAGS. Today I went to GameStop & was able to purchase a GameStop gift card with GameStop trade credit. I’ve been accumulating quite a bit of trade credit with this $5 extra promo going on. Afterward, using my GameStop gift card, I attempted to purchase Subway, Dominos & Amazon. None of which worked. So I don’t know if GameStop is able to track that my gift card was purchased with trade credit & that’s why it didn’t work or if it just wouldn’t work regardless of how the gift card was paid for. So even if the gift card was purchased with a credit card or cash it might not allow customers to buy any other gift cards. Didn’t try anything else but assuming it’s not going to work based off my attempt.

BUT I was able to use trade credit (assuming the gift card should work too but can’t confirm) to purchase a year of Nintendo online, $25 PSN card, $15 XBL & $35 eShop. So that still works. For now.
TC = GC

Gamestop's website states that the $5 bonus is only on Switch, Xbone and PS4 games. I don't see it in the fine print though. Did they change it or do all games still work? Got a few 3DS games I was thinking of trading in.
Traded in two Xbox 360 games today, both got the $5 bump.

Thank you for the field report, I was curious about this. It looks like the days of trade-credit tacos really have ended.

The amazon gift cards at one point could be bought with GS gift cards, but not trade credit. Obviously that was quite some time ago.
Oh... I know. Those were a glorious few months. Back when I was running into the trade limit every 30 days with decent to great trade values for current and last gen. That exploit funded some major photography purchases of mine.

Always report issues at any store you're in. GameStop most of all is willing to help the customer.

Remember when NES Classics were hard to find. Stores restocked and I went to a store to get it. Got in line and saw that everyone was buying a NES controller with it. I didn't want it though.

Get to the front and the guy adds a controller to the purchase. Told him I don't want it. Manager comes out and said I have to buy it with a controller if I want it. I said it isn't a bundle so why am I forced to buy it. He said all stores are doing that. I really wanted it and drove all that way so I bought it.

Went to another GameStop me returned the controller.

Got home and left a review for that store. Called customer service to to report them forcing me to buy products I don't want.

Got a call a week later from the DM who asked if I wanted to come in to further explain, said sure. Met up at a store not far from me. Explained the situation and he said he does not tolerate that. He offered me 50% off any item, not consoles, for the trouble. Thanked him and said I really just don't want to be forced to buy items if I came there to buy something else.

Long story but that isn't the first time GameStop has gone above and beyond to help me in a situation after leaving feedback and calling. Always do so if you feel the store is going against policy or lying.

Also kinda curious about the 50 dollar PSN card. Seems like an odd thing specifically to restrict...
I haven't tried it, but I don't think that card is actually blocked. The cards you pick up off the spinning rack are all POSA - point of sale activation - but the excluded $50 PSN is listed as "IA", whatever that means. If I had to guess, it might just be the codes printed on the receipt that's excluded.

Always report issues at any store you're in. GameStop most of all is willing to help the customer.

Remember when NES Classics were hard to find. Stores restocked and I went to a store to get it. Got in line and saw that everyone was buying a NES controller with it. I didn't want it though.

Get to the front and the guy adds a controller to the purchase. Told him I don't want it. Manager comes out and said I have to buy it with a controller if I want it. I said it isn't a bundle so why am I forced to buy it. He said all stores are doing that. I really wanted it and drove all that way so I bought it.

Went to another GameStop me returned the controller.

Got home and left a review for that store. Called customer service to to report them forcing me to buy products I don't want.

Got a call a week later from the DM who asked if I wanted to come in to further explain, said sure. Met up at a store not far from me. Explained the situation and he said he does not tolerate that. He offered me 50% off any item, not consoles, for the trouble. Thanked him and said I really just don't want to be forced to buy items if I came there to buy something else.

Long story but that isn't the first time GameStop has gone above and beyond to help me in a situation after leaving feedback and calling. Always do so if you feel the store is going against policy or lying.
I had a DM resolve an issue for me the next business day. Only time I've ever complained about an employee at any Gamestop

There was a weird sticky residue on this game so I used rubbing alcohol but in the first swipe the label came off !  Will gamestop even take this?  Is there anyway I can fix it or should I just trash it tonight?

Will gamestop take a game if the top of the blu ray disc label is ripped?
There was a weird sticky residue on this game so I used rubbing alcohol but in the first swipe the label came off ! Will gamestop even take this? Is there anyway I can fix it or should I just trash it tonight? Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 4.40.42 PM.png
You're good on both dude lol.

You don't even need the case. As for sticky games, as long as it is not on the back and like super glue tough, you're fine.

Edit: Oh you rubbed the label off. Probably fine honestly.

There was a weird sticky residue on this game so I used rubbing alcohol but in the first swipe the label came off ! Will gamestop even take this? Is there anyway I can fix it or should I just trash it tonight?
attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 4.40.42 PM.png
That doesn't look like rubbing alcohol damage... that looks like it was damaged from something being on the disc that was taken off. Rubbing alcohol will slowly take the finish off layer by layer. But the label itself being off doesn't mean the the game disc won't work, game is likely just fine. But will they take it is another story- they might not like the look or think it's in sellable condition.

There was a weird sticky residue on this game so I used rubbing alcohol but in the first swipe the label came off ! Will gamestop even take this? Is there anyway I can fix it or should I just trash it tonight?
attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 4.40.42 PM.png
GameStop won't take any blurays with top damage. Data is stored directly under the art and will not play if there is any damage to it. This game is now scrap.

For future reference, use Goo Gone to get sticker residue off. Alcohol will damage most all plastics and finish/art.

GameStop won't take any blurays with top damage. Data is stored directly under the art and will not play if there is any damage to it. This game is now scrap.

For future reference, use Goo Gone to get sticker residue off. Alcohol will damage most all plastics and finish/art.
Are you sure about that? The data should be in between the plastic layers, not like CD's were, where the data is where the disc art/label was.

Should I even try?  or just chuck it out tonight? The nearest gamestop is about 40 minutes away, so I'm not sure if it's worth the drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back