2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the website, you can buy a brand new PlayStation Classic for $39.99, and the system purchase offer will apply. Might want to go that route.
You used to be able to buy those $9.99 handheld toys and they counted. Consoles that qualify had this unique identifier on the sticker if I remember right. Someone here had figured it out at one point.

What were those handhelds that triggered the system deals again? If any of those are still around I might actually make use of the $5 extra.

figures they lowered the TIV value of the switch after i finally got a decent deal on ebay on one. paid $220 for one with 3 games that would have paid for the new version, now I will have to throw in 5 or 10 bucks.

According to the website, you can buy a brand new PlayStation Classic for $39.99, and the system purchase offer will apply. Might want to go that route.
Yeah that’s not bad. It says on the website that the PS classic will trigger the deal. I was gonna pick one up at some point when they were basically free but if I can get as many games as I want for $5 then I may do that. Anyone have a list of the best games to grab from the $9.99 list?

Also should I flip them right back to another store today or should I wait a day or two?

Yeah that’s not bad. It says on the website that the PS classic will trigger the deal. I was gonna pick one up at some point when they were basically free but if I can get as many games as I want for $5 then I may do that. Anyone have a list of the best games to grab from the $9.99 list?

Also should I flip them right back to another store today or should I wait a day or two?
What if I don't want a ps classic... can I keep it unopened and return it 10 days from now?

You're using the asset impairment quarter when you use Q3 2018, which has been discussed here. It's essentially a paper loss. Adjusting for that they actually did better in that quarter than expected. Gamestop's profit is shrinking, but they are not losing money yet. And comparing them to Amazon and Walmart is just crazy.
Not to mention his original contention was that they may not be around for the release of the PS5. If you can read a frigging balance sheet you can see that's obviously not a real concern. The statements do show a company in the decline, thats obvious. But they don't show anything like the TRU disaster. They were paying $400 million a year in debt service thanks to shady private equity firms treating it like an ATM.

For anyone who doesn't know this, since Gamestop is publicly traded, its financial statements are public record. They are literally right on their website, you can see for yourself how much cash they have, how much they have in assets, how much money they have lost in the last year, etc etc. Some of it will be hard to understand if you dont know what you're looking at, I don't pretend to understand what all of it means. But don't take someone else word for how they are going to be tits up in 6 months, go look for yourself.
http://news.gamestop.com/news-releases/news-release-details/gamestop-reports-fourth-quarter-and-fiscal-2018-results-and

And as for selling games at a loss, Walmart, gamestop, and Amazon all pay the same prices for new games, more or less. The price can vary by publisher, but its in the $49-$53 range. So yes, when Walmart sold Mario Maker 2 new for $49.88 on launch day, they were lucky if they broke even. But who goes all the way into a walmart, to the back in electronics, and buys a game and walks out with nothing else? Not many.

I don't know much about business, but I'll just share these press releases and news articles:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190819005633/en/Scion-Asset-Management-Urges-GameStop-Buy-238

On August 16th, Scion Asset Management sent a letter to the Board of Directors of GameStop Corp. urging the Board to direct the full execution of its March 4th, 2019 $300 million share repurchase authorization. GameStop’s market capitalization hovering around $310 million compares to $237.6 million remaining on the buyback authorization. Scion estimates GameStop has cash on hand in excess of $480 million, meaning the repurchase could be completed with less than half of the cash on hand. Scion points to the very high volume in GameStop stock magnifying the practical opportunity at present. Scion believes the opportunity for a game-changing buyback cannot be missed and recommends the Board act to ensure the completion of the authorized buyback in a timely manner.

As of August 19, 2019, Scion Asset Management and its affiliates own 3,000,000 shares, or 3.3%, of GameStop Corp. common stock
https://www.barrons.com/articles/big-short-investor-michal-burry-is-now-long-gamestop-51566424832

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/22/gamestop-surges-after-report-says-michael-burry-is-long-the-stock.html

GameStop shares jumped after Barron’s reported that investor Michael Burry, one of the main money managers depicted in Michael Lewis’ book “The Big Short,” is long the stock.
I get the argument that because his firm owns shares, he has incentives to speak highly about GS in order to increase his stock values, but there appears to be other good signs such as the amount of cash-on-hand for the company. Sorry, I'd make the links more readable, but I don't know how to do that via the mobile website.

I don't know much about business, but I'll just share these press releases and news articles:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190819005633/en/Scion-Asset-Management-Urges-GameStop-Buy-238

https://www.barrons.com/articles/big-short-investor-michal-burry-is-now-long-gamestop-51566424832

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/22/gamestop-surges-after-report-says-michael-burry-is-long-the-stock.html

I get the argument that because his firm owns shares, he has incentives to speak highly about GS in order to increase his stock values, but there appears to be other good signs such as the amount of cash-on-hand for the company. Sorry, I'd make the links more readable, but I don't know how to do that via the mobile website.
It’s up 15% today. Incredible move. It’s a long shot and always a risk but I could see this stock rebounding a bit if the plan is holding for 3 years.

Too much risk for me though. I’d choose AMC over GME personally between the two.

I love that somehow Gamestop is the only company I've seen to find a way to screw people with exact $ off coupons.    Got a "$100 off Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2 headset" which Gamestop currently sells for $200.  Now,  most places that offer coupons generally take a coupon off of the current price.  I found out that when scanned into the computer, the coupon rings up as "$100 off SRP" of the headset, and not just "$100 off". So the headset they sell for $200 - $100 coupon = $150 because the SRP was $250.

Hell,  their whole new membership is based on getting $5 coupons.  Could you imagine if you try to buy a game on sale for $39.99, use a $5 off coupon, and they try to charge you $54.99 because the SRP was $60? 

going back to the PUR cert/Amazon GC, anyone try a $50 cert on the Amazon GC?  I don't want to be the guinea pig and be stuck with a $50 cert at this point.  Only thing I"m remotely interested in is the PS5 and that's not going to release until after the cert expires.

You want to hear hard hard they hit the kool aid in the gamestop discord? According to the guys there, they think TEN TIMES the people who have current Pro memberships will want the new card with the 5 dollars off a month. It's hysterical.
I wouldn't say they are wrong. They are going to get a TON of sign ups from casual shoppers and parents of children because monthly certificates seem like a much more tangible value than a discount. These folks are also going to let these memberships lapse regularly and then have to re-up.

GameStop's new initiatives are not good for CAGs, but I have to say that GS is starting to act as if they have some proper business sense. This new CEO might actually buy them a few more years.

You want to hear hard hard they hit the kool aid in the gamestop discord? According to the guys there, they think TEN TIMES the people who have current Pro memberships will want the new card with the 5 dollars off a month. It's hysterical.
Once my Elite runs out in January, it's back to the free membership for me. Now they are going to hassle me every time I go into the store to sign up for Pro.

Once my Elite runs out in January, it's back to the free membership for me. Now they are going to hassle me every time I go into the store to sign up for Pro.
Yeah mine is up in October and I likely will be phasing myself out of GameStop by then. I have already gotten rid of all of my credit buying the new v2 switch. I'll sell my old switch for cash.

I really dont get the hate on the PUR change. It's $15 A YEAR. Itd be totally different if it was $15 a month, but $15 for a whole year is chump change. You're still getting $60 off per year. You can also actually use this on new games.

Already said this but people should be much more upset about the fact that soon nobody will get points for trade ins, as most of us already dont. So the advertised "2x more points on trade ins" is now completely false in two ways. I dont even flip games and trading in is how I get a majority of my points. THIS is a much bigger deal than gamestop changing 10% off to $5 off.

I have a PS4 and an XB1 controller to trade in do they ever have a trade in promo for controllers for straight credit or is $19.80 each after pro the best I'm going to do?

I really dont get the hate on the PUR change. It's $15 A YEAR. Itd be totally different if it was $15 a month, but $15 for a whole year is chump change. You're still getting $60 off per year. You can also actually use this on new games.

Already said this but people should be much more upset about the fact that soon nobody will get points for trade ins, as most of us already dont. So the advertised "2x more points on trade ins" is now completely false in two ways. I dont even flip games and trading in is how I get a majority of my points. THIS is a much bigger deal than gamestop changing 10% off to $5 off.
But I'm guessing the $5 coupon is only good for that month, so you would HAVE to buy something each month. Not everyone wants to feel obligated to buy something every month in order to benefit from having a membership. There will be months where a person won't buy anything at all, while there will be other months where a person might buy 10 things.

If you only buy one thing per month, then the new program would benefit you. However, it's not going to benefit people who only makes purchases sporadically.

Grabbed 19 Xbox one games from offer up for $50 traded in 14 with the bonus for $125, whole process picking up the games heading to gamestop took 20 mins. The other 5 I hope to get $20 for this way I only spent $30

I currently receive $11 off when buying just ONE preowned $54.99 same... and there is no limit to how many I can buy. Going from that amount of savings to a max of $60 is a big deal.

But I'm guessing the $5 coupon is only good for that month, so you would HAVE to buy something each month. Not everyone wants to feel obligated to buy something every month in order to benefit from having a membership. There will be months where a person won't buy anything at all, while there will be other months where a person might buy 10 things.

If you only buy one thing per month, then the new program would benefit you. However, it's not going to benefit people who only makes purchases sporadically.
Plus $5 off coupon is no help during a B2G1 sale, compared to the 10% off.

I currently receive $11 off when buying just ONE preowned $54.99 same... and there is no limit to how many I can buy. Going from that amount of savings to a max of $60 is a big deal.
Then the question is how many times are you buying a $54.99 base game a year? If its enough to cover the $60 year round discount with the new PUR then you have to think to yourself that you're already not getting much of a deal. You should never pay more than $30 for a game, and when you do pay $30 or around 30 it should be for a new game. It also seems like you have elite which most people dont, meaning they dont even get as big of a discount. I think you're looking at it from the lens of someone who paid $30 for a year instead of $15.

Keep in mind also that if you really do spend this exuberant amount on recently released used copies that all that money is going to the guys you're angry at, which is what gave them the balls to make this change in the first place.

The B2G1 promos are usually only once MAYBE twice a year. This is the only time where its beneficial to the consumer to have 10% off, as you should never buy new released games one at a time, even if they're used.

If this is how it ends up working then you're right, it is probably going to be a nuisance for some people. I am totally a CAG so I don't buy new releases when they come out. At least for me it will be nice to use $5 off (likely) every month when they have at least one sale where a game released in the year gets down to $20 new, meaning I can get it for $15.

I'm not so sure GS can get the casual market they think they can. Casuals will just go to Walmart or Target where they can get approx 5 dollar less anyways and not need a membership.

It amuses me greatly that they now see the very same Pro cards they sold so hard that it drove people away as being loss leaders for the company and moving to treat their most loyal customers like pariahs.
Most of the casual people I see, mostly parents and grandparents, are buying Fortnite whatevers and XBL, PSN, and eShop cards because that's what "Johnny wants."

Most of the casual people I see, mostly parents and grandparents, are buying Fortnite whatevers and XBL, PSN, and eShop cards because that's what "Johnny wants."
Yep, this is exactly what GS wants. They want those folks to come in exchange that $5 for fortnite bucks and then buy a bunch of useless collector garbage.

True, bit $5 off a new game is useless when Walmart (and Amazon matching) has games for $10 off on release. I think it could be useful of it works on digital currency cards though.

Can confirm posts from yesterday that $25 PSN GC was still purchasable via TC. Also used a $5 cert since I was roughly that much short for 3x. Now if only Ghost of a Tale would finally go on sale. . .

I don't think the new Pro membership is supposed to impress people used to working the system.   :)

IT's supposed to make GS more money.  Make it easier to communicate the value of the membership by making the discount concrete.  $5 is always $5.  Their working theory is this is more attractive to and easier to understand for the average customer.  

The thing I love about my store is that the employees even love this promo. They can't wait to get paid tomorrow to get out and find some deals themselves before it ends 

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back