2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they say close 200 additional or on target to have 200 closed by end of fiscal year. That means two very different things. If they’re “on target” that falls in the initiative that started earlier this year. Not really concerned by that because many of those stores were loss leaders.
It just said they're looking to close 180-200 stores by the end of the fiscal year(Feb. 2020). It wouldn't surprise me if most of those are mall locations. Just because of the high rent and relatively low foot traffic compared to other locations.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if my local gamestop shut down. Since they opened yardsales suck. All the kids trade in their stuff for fortnite/minecraft merch and I don't get to buy it for pennies anymore. God forbid the little monsters go digging in their parents closet and trade in retro stuff.

But it won't. My gamestop is crazy packed. Every time I go in there someone else is there, and before I leave someone else is coming in. And I go at weird times. It's a small town but it's all they've got. I don't think they've ever lost prestige since it opened.

For the labor day sale, I did the "pay online, pick up in store" option and used TC on my purchases, and like all online orders, tax was charged. However, TC is not taxed in store in my state, so I asked the associate at the store if they could refund the tax when I went to pick up the orders, and he told me to call customer service. I finally got around to that today, and the rep told me that it's working as expected - tax is charged on all site orders (if the state charges tax) and there was nothing he could do about it.

I know some people here had luck getting the tax refunded; how did ya'll go about doing that?
I didn't see anyone else answer you. I think the only ones that got tax refunded were those that did pickup and paid in-store. AFAIK theres no way to get tax refunded from an online order.

That strategic turnaround doesnt sound too good. Why not just cut the shit and offer the best price. Instead of a system of points and promos most people dont feel like keeping track of.
Pretty sure thats exactly what they are doing with the new Pro. They are supposedly lowering the price of used games across the board and just giving pro members a $5 coupon a month. Makes Pro still a good deal at $15 a year, but gets rid of people like me who saved a couple thousand dollars this year with their discounts/points.

Gamestop is a joke. I had been browsing in their store for the last few weeks since I seen people get those shirts in the SNES case for B1G1 free. Well I noticed when they ran the 3 games for $25 $14.99 or under, well they changed the prices on most of the games and retagged them to be over the $14.99.

They still gutting games and selling them as new. As a physical collector its hard to see them go but its like why do we need you either.

Camelot.. The backwoods, inbred, No shirt, No jews, red pickup truck, tobacco chewing, Tractor riding hillbilly did it to himself because he's that stupid.

He's such a dumbass he gets his manager friend fired. His dumbass is going to learn what defamation and slander is.

A bunch of you hyped him up over his gamestop videos. The guy worked at gamestop and walmart. How smart do you really think he is? He's actually on his way to getting sued by gamestop and my guess is gamestop is going to win. His little dumbass followers of course think he is.
I had no problem finding a shit ton of quality $14.99 games so I don't know what you're talking about. I got around 50 of them and only stopped because I ran out of trade credit. A lot of Vita games are right at that $14.99 price, and they sell for $18+. Shantae on the WiiU which is a $25 game, a bunch of Dragonball games, half their PS3 inventory, etc etc. You're mostly right about Camelot though.

Digital gaming, like Steam, PSN and others. Also you can still use your reward certs on Amazon cards at last check, but that may go away soon.
Anyone know if we can still use credit for Xbox Live subscriptions and/or Xbox currency? I'm pretty sure we can't use trade-in credit for Amazon gift cards anymore (correct me if I'm wrong please, because Amazon would be ideal).

This was in my email, does this mean you have to buy all 3 games or you get a $10 reward for each? I don't see anything on the website about this either.

Capture.PNG
Did you ever find any additional info on this? I couldn't find this online or in the app but $10 rewards cash on Borderlands 3 makes it worthwhile to me.

Edit: image isnt showing, "Score $10 rewards cash when you buy three select role-playing games: Borderlands 3, MHW Iceborne, Ni No Kuni" (shows all three as PS4)

I never had my account hacked and I also have 100k points right now. I spent money during the labor day sale and have had an account for years. Do you reuse the same password online.
Nope. Different passwords for everything. This is the first time I probably a decade any of my accounts were compromised. That last time was Xbox Live with that FIFA scam.

I agree that GameStop will be around for at least a year or so. However, there is a risk to having a large amount of gift card/credit to any store. Personally, I plan on spending mine down this holiday season.

Did you ever find any additional info on this? I couldn't find this online or in the app but $10 rewards cash on Borderlands 3 makes it worthwhile to me.

Edit: image isnt showing, "Score $10 rewards cash when you buy three select role-playing games: Borderlands 3, MHW Iceborne, Ni No Kuni" (shows all three as PS4)
I showed the picture to the guy at my local store and he said he didn't know anything about a $10 reward for Borderlands.

My B2G1 expires end of the month, hopefully find something to use it on.

I gamestop didn't raise prices, might have gotten 3 N64 controllers, $15 each. Now they're $20 each.

Might just buy a Retro-Bit Tribute 64, it's $30 for usb version and won't have issues with analog sticks.

Why are folks hating on Camelot? He's right most of the time. Everybody and their brother said they would regret moving towards statues/shirts/funkos instead of adapting to their actual market, and now people are losing their minds because a YouTuber who worked there is talking about what he knows. How many of those statues and shirts sit for months on end until deep clearances? Not to mention they're more expensive than everybody else on funko pops, just like charging $5-10 more than everybody else's MSRP on accessories.
Collectible sales were the only thing that was up on their quarterly results, LOLOLOLOL.

Can someone point out where Camelot predicts the 60 RL/DL layoffs? I saw the video where he claims "Phase 2" was so shocking he didn't want to make a video about it, but it just ends up being 14% of the corporate office being let go. Yeah, real shocking.

At this point I tend to assume anybody who's going to grab a first party Xbox game at launch already has GamePass. I love GamePass, but I'll never understand the business logic behind it - putting all first party titles on there day and date has to be putting a major damper on their software revenue.
Microsoft as a whole is moving more towards a service and this is no different. You get folks in the ecosystem and they're locked in. Look at Office 365, Windows 10 being their one OS for the foreseeable future, etc.

Those subscriptions are likely to bring in much more revenue for them, and in the upcoming digital future it just makes sense to get started early. It's what the industry as a whole will move towards. Netflix, Apple Music/Spotify, Hulu, etc.

I go to GameStop every week or two and 90% of the people I see in there are buying Funko Pop's and not games. I've twice in the last month or so seen someone spending $300+ just on Pop's.

Nothing like casually throwing an anti-semitic accusation in there. Why, because he has a southern accent? Are you gonna tell me next that he must hate the gays too? I get that you don't like him but this is just stereotype crap.
Yeah, I couldn't really care either way about him but the only Southern thing about the guy is his accent. If you look at his instagram or any of his streams, the guy is about as far away as a stereotypical southerner as you can get.

The Gears trade-back promotion says it ends on the twelfth....does that mean end of business day on the twelfth or is it once the day ends on the eleventh it’s over? Apologies if this has been asked before I just don’t want to miss out.

Collectible sales were the only thing that was up on their quarterly results, LOLOLOLOL.

Can someone point out where Camelot predicts the 60 RL/DL layoffs? I saw the video where he claims "Phase 2" was so shocking he didn't want to make a video about it, but it just ends up being 14% of the corporate office being let go. Yeah, real shocking.
lol nice. Oh well.

And yeah his videos have become clickbait now. He put out there it was a bombshell/phase 3 thing earlier as well as an article and it didn't confirm anything other than the restructure.

The Gears trade-back promotion says it ends on the twelfth....does that mean end of business day on the twelfth or is it once the day ends on the eleventh it’s over? Apologies if this has been asked before I just don’t want to miss out.

Why would it say the 12th if it ends on the 11th?

😂😂😂

Yeah, if you own an Xbox and don’t have Gamepass I don’t know what you’re doing.
It's a no-brainer to do the deal they're doing now (where you can get 38 months of game pass ultimate for $2 after adding up to 3 years of discounted live to your account).

But after mine expires in 2022? I probably won't keep it. I've spent $20 over the past year on Xbox 1 games, and that was buying FH4 on sale. All of my other purchases were on PS4 and Switch games.

Just got my email for 2 weeks remaining in my elite pro subscription. Hoping to find a used copy of Astral Chain before then, but nowhere around me even has new copies. 

I go to GameStop every week or two and 90% of the people I see in there are buying Funko Pop's and not games. I've twice in the last month or so seen someone spending $300+ just on Pop's.
I guess it must be where you live because I have never seen anyone buy a Funko Pop in my life and I have been to Gamestop over a hundred times.

It's a no-brainer to do the deal they're doing now (where you can get 38 months of game pass ultimate for $2 after adding up to 3 years of discounted live to your account).

But after mine expires in 2022? I probably won't keep it. I've spent $20 over the past year on Xbox 1 games, and that was buying FH4 on sale. All of my other purchases were on PS4 and Switch games.
MS needs to bring some exciting first party AAA new IP to the next xbox. This would make the xbox and it's gamepass more enticing imo.

The PS4 and Switch are a better value proposition because of exclusive games imo.

3rd Party games and/or the usual suspects (halo, gears, and forza) will not carry the xbox into must have territory unless the PS5 is significantly inferior hardware and/or significantly overpriced. I'd like MS to wow me with exciting games like the 360 did back in time.

Better hardware, less expensive cost, and exclusive games made the PS4 a better value proposition at launch (xbox one x is too late to really matter)

Nintendo will always be on its own playing field...they are gaming "Disney" for better and worse.

I have enjoyed my PS4 (and pro) and Switch quite a bit for very different reasons. Neither system can replace the other for what they do best.

The xbox is too much like an inferior gaming pc and reliant on 3rd parties to be worth buying for its few exclusives (unless of course its what all your friends play on and/or you are a die hard fan)

I'm curious to see if this generation's consoles (Xbox/PS) are serious about their exclusive software. If everything becomes digital purchases and services then the attractiveness of a gaming pc (despite casual fear) will start to make more sense as an investment.

This could be even more so if consoles continue veering towards "phone upgrade cycles" with multiple iterations during the same generation.

I begrudgingly bought a PS4 Pro which rendered my launch PS4 obsolete and a lesser experience. The 1X was too rich for my blood by the time it came out and now makes my interest in a 1S nonexistent since it's inferior and without strong exclusives.

I personally would prefer that either there are two versions of the console at launch (casual and pro) or a shorter generation when the consoles become too underpowered...this generations' half step is the wrong direction.

MS needs to bring some exciting first party AAA new IP to the next xbox. This would make the xbox and it's gamepass more enticing imo.

The PS4 and Switch are a better value proposition because of exclusive games imo.

3rd Party games and/or the usual suspects (halo, gears, and forza) will not carry the xbox into must have territory unless the PS5 is significantly inferior hardware and/or significantly overpriced. I'd like MS to wow me with exciting games like the 360 did back in time.

Better hardware, less expensive cost, and exclusive games made the PS4 a better value proposition at launch (xbox one x is too late to really matter)

Nintendo will always be on its own playing field...they are gaming "Disney" for better and worse.

I have enjoyed my PS4 (and pro) and Switch quite a bit for very different reasons. Neither system can replace the other for what they do best.

The xbox is too much like an inferior gaming pc and reliant on 3rd parties to be worth buying for its few exclusives (unless of course its what all your friends play on and/or you are a die hard fan)

I'm curious to see if this generation's consoles (Xbox/PS) are serious about their exclusive software. If everything becomes digital purchases and services then the attractiveness of a gaming pc (despite casual fear) will start to make more sense as an investment.

This could be even more so if consoles continue veering towards "phone upgrade cycles" with multiple iterations during the same generation.

I begrudgingly bought a PS4 Pro which rendered my launch PS4 obsolete and a lesser experience. The 1X was too rich for my blood by the time it came out and now makes my interest in a 1S nonexistent since it's inferior and without strong exclusives.

I personally would prefer that either there are two versions of the console at launch (casual and pro) or a shorter generation when the consoles become too underpowered...this generations' half step is the wrong direction.
I think MS's long-term goal with GamePass and XCloud is to not need to sell Xboxes at all and just being a streaming platform for everything with a screen.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but you can still get extra credit towards preorders. Just got $49 for Mario Odyssey applying some towards Borderlands. So if anyone wants a little extra boost then go before that game releases.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but you can still get extra credit towards preorders. Just got $49 for Mario Odyssey applying some towards Borderlands. So if anyone wants a little extra boost then go before that game releases.
i lost track of how many Smash's, Odyssey's, and MK8's i've traded so I'm just staying away for now so I don't get trade banned lol

i lost track of how many Smash's, Odyssey's, and MK8's i've traded so I'm just staying away for now so I don't get trade banned lol
Same here, I know I'm at 4 of each Smash and MK8 but not sure on Odyssey and NSMBU. Them doing away with you being able to keep look back at your transaction history really sucks when it comes to keeping track of traded in games. I guess I'm gonna have to take a picture of my receipts when I trade in, so I can keep track. I'm just keeping from a trade ban until 2 months from now when my Elite Pro goes away and then I'm gonna not care one bit about getting banned

I think MS's long-term goal with GamePass and XCloud is to not need to sell Xboxes at all and just being a streaming platform for everything with a screen.
Spencer has literally all but said this is their strategy. Xbox will eventually become a brand platform like Netflix or Hulu. Sony will probably need to do the same in time; no doubt MS is much farther along in tech than them.

All of this streaming future IMHO is bad for consumers but also seems pretty much inevitable ....

If you think GameStop is going to quickly disappear, then you must never have heard of Kmart, Sears, or JcPenny.
if you mention these stores you must also include circuit city or even RadioShack
Sears and jcpenney have been around forever. They owned many of the stores they operated out of. Sears survived by selling off it's real estate. Gamestop can go out of business. Its apparent that the store will need to become something completely different or it will continue to lose money. It will probably be much smaller and cling to life by operating online.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

More like Payless.
More like GameCrazy.

0xy0jhxx0u111.jpg

Toysrus is probably the closest parallel (financial snapshots aside)

I think a lot of people really miss that place and dislike going to Wally/Target/Amazon for their sporadic toy christmas/birthday shopping. 

Didn't Payless have a ton of debt?
Yes and so did TRU. Gamestops balance sheets aren't comparable. People would rather compare from a macro "struggling business=struggling business."

Will Gamestop go out of business eventually? Possibly. But there's no impending bankruptcy when theres no creditors demanding repayment.

They're wisely trimming the fat and closing underperforming stores. They still have way too many stores close by. They still have 2 stores across the street from each other in Philly

Yes and so did TRU. Gamestops balance sheets aren't comparable. People would rather compare from a macro "struggling business=struggling business."

Will Gamestop go out of business eventually? Possibly. But there's no impending bankruptcy when theres no creditors demanding repayment.

They're wisely trimming the fat and closing underperforming stores. They still have way too many stores close by. They still have 2 stores across the street from each other in Philly
This is the issue nationwide Gamestop stores are ontop of each other. They've needed to close stores for a long time now and should have pulled the trigger years ago.

I find it funny when people want to compare Gamestops situation to Toys R Us. Very different situations and Gamestop could very well recover. They should see a nice boost next Holiday season with new hardware out and if they can hit a homerun with some of the things they are starting to try like selling retro games in the store I think they can carve out a nice niche for themselves yet again. I stop into Gamestop fairly often due to how close it is to my house, but would stop in more frequently if they sold retro games at the stores by me just to see what they have.

Toys r us had a great 2017, but they were really doomed regardless, because of how much money they owed.

I do hope their comeback works, last year sucked for toys, ect at Walmart, target and I missed having toys r us having basically the entire store half off every black Friday

Toys r us had a great 2017, but they were really doomed regardless, because of how much money they owed.
I do hope their comeback works, last year subj for toys, ect at Walmart, target and I missed having toys r us having basically the entire store half off every black Friday
Exactly. They couldn't get out of the debt they put themselves into years ago when they bought themselves back. Nothing was going to change that

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back