2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like values are holding unless they do a 5am-9am drop like yesterday but I believe that was all stealth bump related.

Well waste of time yesterday doing the math I spent 6 hours and made about $200+ credit. There just isn't many switch games used at GameStop.

Call me naïve, but even after all of these years I'm still not 100% sure why the "Gamestop ban" is such a significant thing. Keep in mind I'm not a big trader and not privy to a lot of the "flip" situations that go down. If it were the "flip" people that were the only ones getting banned, to some degree I could understand it.  

The point I am really trying to get at here is that I often hear of people being banned simply for trading in "a lot" of games. And that's the part I don't understand. Gamestop acts as if they WANT you to trade in stuff all the time. Every time you go in there they ask if you have trades, they encourage trades when they advertise new games, and they even offer promotions for trading in games. So why is it that if I were to decide to unload my collection one day, they would "ban" me simply for trading in "too much" stuff? It doesn't make much sense to me. If they are going to sell everything I trade in for profit, why would they cut themselves off from that opportunity? Why would they care that I woke up one day and decided to unload my entire collection of 200 PS4 games? Why do they feel the need to suddenly punish me for doing what they are asking me to do? I keep hearing about people getting banned after reaching a certain credit or profit margin. Are they automatically assuming the games are stolen when the margin gets too high? I guess this may be a dumb question but someone please enlighten me.

Call me naïve, but even after all of these years I'm still not 100% sure why the "Gamestop ban" is such a significant thing. Keep in mind I'm not a big trader and not privy to a lot of the "flip" situations that go down. If it were the "flip" people that were the only ones getting banned, to some degree I could understand it.

The point I am really trying to get at here is that I often hear of people being banned simply for trading in "a lot" of games. And that's the part I don't understand. Gamestop acts as if they WANT you to trade in stuff all the time. Every time you go in there they ask if you have trades, they encourage trades when they advertise new games, and they even offer promotions for trading in games. So why is it that if I were to decide to unload my collection one day, they would "ban" me simply for trading in "too much" stuff? It doesn't make much sense to me. If they are going to sell everything I trade in for profit, why would they cut themselves off from that opportunity? Why would they care that I woke up one day and decided to unload my entire collection of 200 PS4 games? Why do they feel the need to suddenly punish me for doing what they are asking me to do? I keep hearing about people getting banned after reaching a certain credit or profit margin. Are they automatically assuming the games are stolen when the margin gets too high? I guess this may be a dumb question but someone please enlighten me.
Pretty sure LP looks at your account if a employee calls it in and large trades unless they exceed $2000 will not trigger a ban. Even if you do get banned for a large trade calling LP should resolve your issue. If you check Reddit and other sites some employees don't really care if it is stolen. 5 copies of the same game, law enforcement and multiple consoles will also lead to a ban.

This is theft. If you're interested in fixing the situation at all, you'd need to take the games back to the store since they are in the inventory there.
The store can contact him and go out of THEIR way to pick them up. This is an inconvenience for him, and they're not going to compensate him for his hour+ spent traveling back to the store. On top of that, if they actually threatened him with that theft shit so he would return to the store to fix THEIR mistake, and he gets into an accident, they are liable.

If they called the police to go pick the games up, the police would laugh for wasting their time.

Has anyone else had issues redeeming points for the online only certs? I've tried redeeming points for $10 and $5 certs, enter the emailed verification code, and keep getting "we're sorry, there was a problem redeeming your reward." I can redeem points for the in-store certs just fine.
i had it before. just call them up and tell them that. they will give u back ur points. i asked about this issue on this forum. there are ppl who get these error.

Does anyone know why omni99 was banned? He was pretty active in this thread and it doesn’t seem like he did anything wrong.

Oh wow that's a shame, he was a good contributor.

WTF? That's bullshit.
All of his posts were completely deleted. The only remnant of his username is his liking of others' posts. From recent memory, only the Dave/IATCG accounts had that happen to them when banned (unlike W.B. and O.H.N). Does that indicate that he was linked with another account? Or does it mean that he REALLY pissed someone off?

This is theft. If you're interested in fixing the situation at all, you'd need to take the games back to the store since they are in the inventory there.

This is definitely not theft the sir. This is GameStop employees not being properly trained. Same thing happened to me with an order online. they just never charged my credit card. why is it my responsibility to go back and get my account charged? LOL

Pretty sure LP looks at your account if a employee calls it in and large trades unless they exceed $2000 will not trigger a ban. Even if you do get banned for a large trade calling LP should resolve your issue. If you check Reddit and other sites some employees don't really care if it is stolen. 5 copies of the same game, law enforcement and multiple consoles will also lead to a ban.
Sometime this year I had two copies of the Sonic Mania collection on xbox one to trade in that i legitimately purchased from redbox. Employee refused to take the second copy. I showed him my receipt for it and everything. I said to him "so it's okay for me to just go down to the other gamestop a mile away and trade it in like im trying to do here?"

The logic makes no sense. Went down to the other GameStop and came right back with the Trade Credit to buy the games i wanted at the original location.

I'm not one of these Advocates that wants GameStop to close down. I remember in the early 2010 when I was fresh out of high school GameStop was great. Management knew me by name and literally never try to sell me something I didn't want. In fact management discouraged me from buying crappy games even if they were pre-owned and expensive. GameStop just needs new corporate management and new policies in place.

I agree that they should be able to take them with proof of purchase, but taking multiples of the same game is a hard rule that employees are told not to break, and the district manager would back them up on it. Same thing with sealed games.

Maybe they view it as a slippery slope, since I'm sure some asshole (probably me) would bring in a 30-pack of sealed games getting cleared out from another retailer, or having the option would make it easier for the typical seasonal derp employee to take in more stolen merchandise.

This is definitely not theft the sir. This is GameStop employees not being properly trained. Same thing happened to me with an order online. they just never charged my credit card. why is it my responsibility to go back and get my account charged? LOL
Is it theft? I dunno. It's not up to me to interpret law. I'll just say that I ordered a new washer on Black Friday. It was delivered and installed that weekend, and when the job was done, the guys started to leave. I told them to wait since I haven't even paid for it yet - I ordered it for cash on delivery. They had no clue, were oblivious, and would have left if I didn't say anything. Maybe I could have gotten a free washer, but those guys would have been fired for sure.

Some people won't care if minimum wage retail employees lose their jobs, especially if you stand to gain a quick buck from their misfortune, but I think most people would just prefer to honor the original agreement. Otherwise, what's stopping you from going to Walmart and doing a no-receipt return for something you bought elsewhere? You could argue that it's the employees' responsibility to not let it happen.

I agree that they should be able to take them with proof of purchase, but taking multiples of the same game is a hard rule that employees are told not to break, and the district manager would back them up on it. Same thing with sealed games.

Maybe they view it as a slippery slope, since I'm sure some asshole (probably me) would bring in a 30-pack of sealed games getting cleared out from another retailer, or having the option would make it easier for the typical seasonal derp employee to take in more stolen merchandise.
All of the GameStops in both districts I’ve been in accept multiple copies of the same game, so I assume it’s district policy and not company policy. My local GameStop would probably be extremely vulnerable to fraud because they don’t even have ID requirements for trade ins. The store is located in a low crime area with honest customers, so I assume that’s why the policies are more lax.

i had it before. just call them up and tell them that. they will give u back ur points. i asked about this issue on this forum. there are ppl who get these error.
Thankfully no points were taken, it just gave me the error message each time. I'll just stick with redeeming points for in-store certs.

Switch version of Terraria is $16.00 online today, I hear it's a bad port though.
From what I can see the reviews are quite positive, with the lack of a local co-op mode the biggest detriment.

I got it with the b2g1 sale a few weeks ago, but haven't played it yet. I will though, one of these years

Well your situation is different.

Unless that other poster didn't word it properly, he said he called up customer service and got back credit on top of the games picked up. What's the point of calling if he already picked the games up? There's only one real scenario to call in that situation. And that is to pretend it never got picked up, so they will offer to credit you back.

So why is it that if I were to decide to unload my collection one day, they would "ban" me simply for trading in "too much" stuff?
Opinion specific to this question, I think there are two ideas involved.

One, they set some kind of "this is unreasonable activity in an unreasonable amount of time" based on metrics, gut feeling, or dart board. The point of this limit is to address abuse and liability for their regular customers - some of the inventory cycling that happens in this thread, as well as concern around stolen goods or some kind of fire sale at a competitor.

Two, if someone were to decide to liquidate their collection, a ban only kicks in if they attempt to portion it out over a short period of time. I suspect that is not the common situation - they are moving to another platform, gave up the hobby, or are in financial straits. If they dump multiple consoles and blow through the limit, it doesn't actually matter. That was a one-and-done trade transaction, and they would never even know they had received an automated ban of any sort, because that ban doesn't affect the transaction that puts you over the limit. (Some of this falls apart when discussing cash trades, but stores aren't well equipped for this even outside of the ban mechanism to begin with.)

Then you leave the edge cases to local discretion or loss prevention, and you have a policy that fits "most" situations.

Unless that other poster didn't word it properly, he said he called up customer service and got back credit on top of the games picked up. What's the point of calling if he already picked the games up? There's only one real scenario to call in that situation. And that is to pretend it never got picked up, so they will offer to credit you back.
To be fair, he would have been refunded regardless. I’ve had it happen twice. Once the 7 days was up they mailed me a gift card.

Is it theft? I dunno. It's not up to me to interpret law. I'll just say that I ordered a new washer on Black Friday. It was delivered and installed that weekend, and when the job was done, the guys started to leave. I told them to wait since I haven't even paid for it yet - I ordered it for cash on delivery. They had no clue, were oblivious, and would have left if I didn't say anything. Maybe I could have gotten a free washer, but those guys would have been fired for sure.

Some people won't care if minimum wage retail employees lose their jobs, especially if you stand to gain a quick buck from their misfortune, but I think most people would just prefer to honor the original agreement. Otherwise, what's stopping you from going to Walmart and doing a no-receipt return for something you bought elsewhere? You could argue that it's the employees' responsibility to not let it happen.
Even if he went back, he would do more harm than good because the same employees who failed to follow the simple instructions on the top paper would be dumbfounded and confused about what to do.

Had to go to the problem store near my apartment since the one I was planning on going to closed at 7pm instead of 10pm like the calendar said. I stayed in the car while my friend went in because the manager is awful, and sure enough he rudely made her pull the ~20 games out of the box for him (box is 6 inches deep with no lid, everything is clearly visible), then asked her if she had receipts for any of them (only 2 were in sleeves with no case, and 7 were 4 for $10 fodder). LOL, this isn't even a bad neighborhood.
Guess I am just lucky. Other then one ahole I haven't had too bad an experience at my 3 or 4 regular GameStops. One guy would always break my chops. I forgot a usb cable with one PS4 trade. I said ok give it back to me I will trade it later at another GS. Guess he decided he needed the trade more then $5 refurb fee. I even offered to pull the cable out of the new PS4 I was buying in the same transaction. Another time on another PS4 trade he claimed I brought a PS2 power cord or some nonsense. It fit and worked just fine. Again I said ok give it back to me I will get the right cord and trade it elsewhere. Again he waived the refurb fee.

Another time I traded in a XBox One Slim (or maybe a VCR) and had wiped it before bring it to the store. I had to log into my account and just couldn't the touch screen was basically unreadable. I was annoyed that I waited like 20 mins and couldn't log in so I couldn't complete the trade. He was really nasty about it and said you didn't have to wipe the console we do that. I wanted to bitch slap him but didn't. Sorry I don't trust you with MY Microsoft account. I took the same console to the GS in the mall at the other end of the parking lot and was able to easily log into my account. When I mentioned the asshole I just dealt with they both knew who I was talking about by name.

I get it they need to check out the stuff and it needs to be complete. I hadn't traded an XBox in years. I didn't know they can't just use a guest account like you can on a PS4. A PS4 takes freaking forever to wipe if you do the more secure option at least.

Haven't seen him in months maybe he left.

I traded a Chromecast or something and they didn't take the usb cord or something and were supposed to. Young woman (same that did my XBox One trade) called me and asked if I could bring the cord in next time. I did since she wasn't an asshole. The other guy would have been shit out of luck. They could have threatened me with a ban me and I still wouldn't have come back a day or two later.

Friday last week I traded BL3 in a white plain paper sleeve. No problem. Converted it to digital like I wanted. With the stealth bump and the 2nd to last day for the $5 bump it wasn't too bad. Low life I am I kept the steel box. :)

I hope I didn't snag the attention of a JD today.

The 4/$60 is going just fine, nobody seems to care - and the gains are small anyways - 4 for $48, trade back 3, keep the 4th for yourself.  I don't see many people taking full advantage of this though.  The games I've traded back in are still on the pre-owned shelves, unbought (even though they are mildly flippable).  I'm getting nervous buying back the same games I traded a couple days ago -- literally the same physical games, lol.

The 4/$20 was definitely more lucrative (trade back upwards of $40 credit).  So back to the JD [PS4 flip games caught their eye] :: I was asked, "You're trading these games back in already?", even though they came from a far away store.  I just mentioned I didn't care for them, and the clerk shrugged.

Needless to say I got weird vibes, so just bought a new game I was looking to play, and left, without buying more to flip.  While I was looking, the clerk ducked into the back, letting someone else take care of me.  This part was weird.

I'm OK with chilling out.  I'm mind blown how great this season was!

---

What do my fellow cheapies do on off months, like January, February?  I was considering just having games shipped to me, to trade back for nearly money spent (ie: buy 1st party Swtich game for under $40 with CAG16, sell back for $41, or $42 is there is a pre-order bonus .. or $47 / $49 if Pokemon).  The benefit would be the points though, and I suppose if you did this enough you could get 100k points a month, enough for a couple new / new'ish releases.

I guess buying online is less conspicuous.

What do you all do when you can't actually get 2k TV per month?  Rest, or keep active?

What do my fellow cheapies do on off months, like January, February? I was considering just having games shipped to me, to trade back for nearly money spent (ie: buy 1st party Swtich game for under $40 with CAG16, sell back for $41, or $42 is there is a pre-order bonus .. or $47 / $49 if Pokemon). The benefit would be the points though, and I suppose if you did this enough you could get 100k points a month, enough for a couple new / new'ish releases.

I guess buying online is less conspicuous.

What do you all do when you can't actually get 2k TV per month? Rest, or keep active?
I go ham on these screw-ups because I assume there's going to be a long dry period, then miss the thrill of finding games I want or games with high values to flip. Then I spend the next few months playing through the huge backlog of games I bought.

Don’t even get me started on the shit show around this. I made an absolute ton of orders in Nov from BF and b1g1 retro in early Nov for flip/resale purposes. I call up CS to check on 7 cancelled orders I had compiled from that month as they sent me emails (didn’t realize till I later investigated that I got the emails for pick up your switch games which I already got). Early orders worried me as they were PayPal and I wasn’t seeing a credit on my account. Call up corporate CS which is outsourced now so it is kinda trash. Turns out there was an 8th they never credited back to me as it was a 2nd online retro credit card order that was trash condition so I did exchange/in store return for credit (no tc given) then a online rebuy. That canceled and went back to the tc which was non existent. I explain this to the guy. Wait like two insanely long hours and finally he says I can’t help you will the 5 PayPal orders you will have to call them up but for the others we’ll give you credit back as they used credit. Cool beans with me(even though not really cause 2 of the orders ended up being retro ones I paid cash money with, were trash condition, and then did the exchange return rebuy shit with so they basically took my money and would only refund credit kinda bs). Wait a couple days and get only $80 which used to store 4for20 flips. Call again that night and was like wtf Im pretty sure I paid more for these retro orders than $80. He looks up everything says that was for a different order and I’m like well here are all the cancelled orders from my email again. Figure out how it was paid for and how much to refund me back the amount. Then I get $150 back in credit for the retro order. Wondering where the $80 came from I looked up all my orders which matched the credited amount they refunded me and saw it was from the instore pick up switch games I got. Employee most likely never checked off that I picked them up. Games are long gone as I flipped them right back to the next gs the same day and the trade card was used to flip more with. Doubt there’s anything I can do at this point and it was pretty much a clerical mistake on the employees end. Oh well. Heck if I really wanted to participate in “theft“ I would’ve gone to that store, picked up those top tier switch games, and resold them for real cash money instead of $80 credit.

Don’t even get me started on the shit show around this. I made an absolute ton of orders in Nov from BF and b1g1 retro in early Nov for flip/resale purposes. I call up CS to check on 7 cancelled orders I had compiled from that month as they sent me emails (didn’t realize till I later investigated that I got the emails for pick up your switch games which I already got). Early orders worried me as they were PayPal and I wasn’t seeing a credit on my account. Call up corporate CS which is outsourced now so it is kinda trash. Turns out there was an 8th they never credited back to me as it was a 2nd online retro credit card order that was trash condition so I did exchange/in store return for credit (no tc given) then a online rebuy. That canceled and went back to the tc which was non existent. I explain this to the guy. Wait like two insanely long hours and finally he says I can’t help you will the 5 PayPal orders you will have to call them up but for the others we’ll give you credit back as they used credit. Cool beans with me(even though not really cause 2 of the orders ended up being retro ones I paid cash money with, were trash condition, and then did the exchange return rebuy shit with so they basically took my money and would only refund credit kinda bs). Wait a couple days and get only $80 which used to store 4for20 flips. Call again that night and was like wtf Im pretty sure I paid more for these retro orders than $80. He looks up everything says that was for a different order and I’m like well here are all the cancelled orders from my email again. Figure out how it was paid for and how much to refund me back the amount. Then I get $150 back in credit for the retro order. Wondering where the $80 came from I looked up all my orders which matched the credited amount they refunded me and saw it was from the instore pick up switch games I got. Employee most likely never checked off that I picked them up. Games are long gone as I flipped them right back to the next gs the same day and the trade card was used to flip more with. Doubt there’s anything I can do at this point and it was pretty much a clerical mistake on the employees end. Oh well. Heck if I really wanted to participate in “theft“ I would’ve gone to that store, picked up those top tier switch games, and resold them for real cash money instead of $80 credit.
GS's inventory control is really bad. I wouldn't recommend doing store pickups, as many of the games / accessories they seem to have, actually don't exist ... thus a cancel .. which then messes with your CC / PayPal, as reimbursement seems problematic (or at the very least, a waste of valuable time). Note this only seems to affect local store pickups.

You got compensated for time lost .. cheers I say! Actually for time spent, it wouldn't be very worthwhile to just walk away. At least you got something after all the India / Pakistan call center suffering.

And it was their internal billing system as the culprit. One nobody asked for. Nobody asked for a new website, breaking inventory / payment options. Making item searches mind numbing difficult. Half the system is still broken, to the point you can only pay with store credit / gift cards on certain days; only after they reboot the system, clear memory leaks or whatever is wrong with their setup .. then you can use your TC / online certs. /sigh

GS should focus on canning their Web Designers. Firing some more top / executive management wouldn't hurt either. 2 cents.

Ugh I gotta buy 2 copies of Mario kart switch before Xmas and I am so steamed to not have a b2g1 opportunity. The CAG in me doesn't even wanna buy them because I a pissed lol.

Heck if I really wanted to participate in “theft“ I would’ve gone to that store, picked up those top tier switch games, and resold them for real cash money instead of $80 credit.
All these hours wasted on stressful phone calls are worth more than the $80 credit, especially this time of year. fuck those people calling you out on this.

From what I can see the reviews are quite positive, with the lack of a local co-op mode the biggest detriment.

I got it with the b2g1 sale a few weeks ago, but haven't played it yet. I will though, one of these years
WTF, Switch can't even handle a game made to look like SNES graphics in local co-op? That's the BIGGEST appeal of the game IMO. SMH.

It's not about interpreting the law. it's about looking at the law exactly the way it's written. he didn't go into the store take an item and walk out without paying. Neither did you and neither did I. If those delivery guys had walked away without getting payed that would have been on them not on you.

It's way more of a moral issue. Which at the end of the day I have no problem with exploiting if you're not going to properly train your employees. Would I try to do this to any other retailer? probably not.
But no other retailer would sell me a product that is opened and say that it is "new". If your moral compass is crooked so is mine.

Gamestop has a pretty good deal of the day today on the xbox one x and s nba 2k19 bundles. The x is $300 and the s is $150. Also the website states that the deal of the day is online and in store as well for a limited time.

Tempted to trade my $99 OG Xbox One Black Friday model in towards the daily deal Xbox One S $150. You have to buy it online and then pick up in store right? And the $50 bonus doesn’t apply to cash, so I’d really pay $150 out of pocket and be stuck with a $125 GS gift card? Or can i apply the trade in credit of the OG Xbox One at the time of pickup in store?

Tempted to trade my $99 OG Xbox One Black Friday model in towards the daily deal Xbox One S $150. You have to buy it online and then pick up in store right? And the $50 bonus doesn’t apply to cash, so I’d really pay $150 out of pocket and be stuck with a $125 GS gift card? Or can i apply the trade in credit of the OG Xbox One at the time of pickup in store?
For today's it says online and in-store.

Trade at store and get trade card. Then go online and place an in store pickup for it and use the trade credit/credit card to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back