2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called GS this morning about the cancellation of free games from the B2G2. I was pretty lucky initially, so I only asked about 2 orders, each having two canceled games (one paid and one free). The associate said he could send one free replacement, which I’m happy with, so they’re sending out Pokemon Shield.

Thanks for this suggestion!

App and mobile site are still showing I’m elite pro and haven’t received any email or rewards certificates. No discount online as of 1:00 last night, but it would be cool to still get the other benefits.

GameStop is out of touch on a level I can't even comprehend. No cag16 no 10 percent...

Do you honestly believe anyone is buying poor condition used games at $55 when the Walmart next door has it for 50 or less shrink wrapped?

Can't wait to cash out my entire balance at the store on zero margin e-shop credit.

I called GS this morning about the cancellation of free games from the B2G2. I was pretty lucky initially, so I only asked about 2 orders, each having two canceled games (one paid and one free). The associate said he could send one free replacement, which I’m happy with, so they’re sending out Pokemon Shield.

Thanks for this suggestion!
I just locked in Pokemon Shield for Amazon trade in of $33.80. It's an option for you since the 20% bonus trade in is gone.

Elite discount may be dead online, but still works in store...at least it did for me at 2 different locations yesterday.

gamestop can be such a terrible company because their shoppers are children and adolescents that don't know any better how a retail company should operate. 

Once gamestop closes i really hope digital stores next gen are more aggressive with steam-like prices

gamestop can be such a terrible company because their shoppers are children and adolescents that don't know any better how a retail company should operate.

Once gamestop closes i really hope digital stores next gen are more aggressive with steam-like prices
I wouldn’t be surprised if they have Nintendo like sales (< 30% discount) and remain full price once retail shelf space is no longer required :(

The app is still giving me 20% boost to my TiV, has anyone tried to trade today to see if Elite pro conversions retain the 20% boost versus downgraded to 10%?

So I was Elite up until mid September 2019.  Late Sep. 2019 I renewed in store at the Pro level for $15.  Should I be expecting a $5 coupon this month?  I haven't received anything.  My points have fluctuated up and down lately, but as of today they are where they're supposed to be. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they have Nintendo like sales (< 30% discount) and remain full price once retail shelf space is no longer required :(
No, this isn't really an issue. The increasingly competitive nature of digital distribution and the veritable glut of material these days will keep digital prices low, and insure regular sales. There are so many games available that savvy developers know that they have to take advantage of regular sales and discounts in order to boost sales numbers on their titles and promote their games. If the selection of games was lower, I could see platform holders dappling in a little price fixing. But with the digital landscape the way it is, we won't be seeing any of that. Companies have to compete against each other for consumer's time and attention, and in that kind of environment regular sales are just part of the equation.

GameStop's greatest failing from a practical standpoint is that they have simply failed to adapt to the changing times. They've made some attempts, but those attempts have all been misguided and have ultimately failed. (phone trade-ins, Funko-overload, etc...) The simple fact is that GameStop's bread-and-butter is used game flipping for maximum profit, and digital distribution and on-line games are a direct assault on that revenue stream. So is DLC and loot-boxes. The increasingly digital focus of most major game titles robs GameStop of their biggest money maker. The only real way for GameStop to survive is to shift their business model to no longer be dependent on used game flipping. But that would also require that they accept lower profits. They could survive this shift by changing to be more focused on stability and sustainability as opposed to maximizing profit. But their profit focus is so strong that this simply won't happen. Their corporate mindset is too ingrained, and this is ultimately what will sink them.

Kind of weird; everyone's percentage off discounts are gone, yet there are still plenty of used games being sold for $54.99.  There aren't any significant price drops at all, actually.

Must just be a glitch since Gamestop promised they'd lower their pricing when the discounts went away... in the Spring...

Got a $0.70 gift card for one of my cancelled “free” games....
Did they send your gift card UPS?

I'm still dealing with returns from the Black Friday sale. I had to send some bootleg SoulSilvers back. they received them on Dec 30th, and I hadn't heard anything so I called again on Monday. After an hour on the phone explaining the whole situation over again she finally got the picture and said she would have someone take care of it. Then today I see I'm getting a package from Gamestop via UPS tomorrow. .6lbs. I didn't order anything so I'm wondering if I'm getting a gift card. I was kind of expecting them to refund my credit card. I don't know how I'm going to spend $291 in Gamestop once I lose my elite, I will have no reason to go in there.

Kind of weird; everyone's percentage off discounts are gone, yet there are still plenty of used games being sold for $54.99. There aren't any significant price drops at all, actually.

Must just be a glitch since Gamestop promised they'd lower their pricing when the discounts went away... in the Spring...
Not a glitch, intentional.

Did they fix your points? I lost 4000 points yesterday and sent them an email, like you did. This morning all of my missing points were restored. I cashed out all of my points before anything else happens again.
Nope, my points still keep changing, seemingly randomly. My points are quite a bit higher again this morning; they were down to around 4000 last night and now they're up to 11000. My `Lifetime Points' are down even more than they were yesterday though. Not that it matters, but at least yesterday they were going down in sync.

No, this isn't really an issue. The increasingly competitive nature of digital distribution and the veritable glut of material these days will keep digital prices low, and insure regular sales. There are so many games available that savvy developers know that they have to take advantage of regular sales and discounts in order to boost sales numbers on their titles and promote their games. If the selection of games was lower, I could see platform holders dappling in a little price fixing. But with the digital landscape the way it is, we won't be seeing any of that. Companies have to compete against each other for consumer's time and attention, and in that kind of environment regular sales are just part of the equation.

GameStop's greatest failing from a practical standpoint is that they have simply failed to adapt to the changing times. They've made some attempts, but those attempts have all been misguided and have ultimately failed. (phone trade-ins, Funko-overload, etc...) The simple fact is that GameStop's bread-and-butter is used game flipping for maximum profit, and digital distribution and on-line games are a direct assault on that revenue stream. So is DLC and loot-boxes. The increasingly digital focus of most major game titles robs GameStop of their biggest money maker. The only real way for GameStop to survive is to shift their business model to no longer be dependent on used game flipping. But that would also require that they accept lower profits. They could survive this shift by changing to be more focused on stability and sustainability as opposed to maximizing profit. But their profit focus is so strong that this simply won't happen. Their corporate mindset is too ingrained, and this is ultimately what will sink them.
I would argue that quality first party games that cannot be played elsewhere should hold their value just like Nintendo already does.

For example, Spider-Man and God of War could have justified remaining $60 titles with the once a year 30% discount.

Great AAA games don’t have to discount, perhaps some third party underachievers should focus more on the quality and completeness of the game instead of post launch dlc and they too could retain their value.

TLDR CAG or not there are most likely some games that you, I, and everyone else would pay $60 for if that became the only option so being “price competitive” isn’t really necessary for exclusive games or games that are ridiculously mass market (cod, madden, halo, gears)

And, any Games as a Service game shouldn’t be $60 either...

I would argue that quality first party games that cannot be played elsewhere should hold their value just like Nintendo already does.

For example, Spider-Man and God of War could have justified remaining $60 titles with the once a year 30% discount.

Great AAA games don’t have to discount, perhaps some third party underachievers should focus more on the quality and completeness of the game instead of post launch dlc and they too could retain their value.

TLDR CAG or not there are most likely some games that you, I, and everyone else would pay $60 for if that became the only option so being “price competitive” isn’t really necessary for exclusive games or games that are ridiculously mass market (cod, madden, halo, gears)

And, any Games as a Service game shouldn’t be $60 either...
That only works with Nintendo games because they have controlled the pricing and discounts for so long that we as consumers have just accepted it and as a result see Nintendo first-party games as being more valuable as a result.

With so many games coming out nowadays the first 2-3 weeks is when the majority of sales happen for most games and they do not typically go on sale within the first couple of weeks, but as the releases get more crowded we have started to see stuff like Control drop down to around $40 a week or two after it released where as something like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe remains a $60 title and occasionally will go on sale for $40-$50 which is pretty crazy for a game that came out near the Switch launch and was a re-release of a Wii U game, which didn't really start going down in price until the Switch release.

Something like a Spider-Man would still sell for $60, but a year after release those sales would diminish at $60 versus a lower price. If someone waits a year to play a game it is because they are usually waiting for a sale or price drop otherwise they would have picked it up around launch for $60.

That only works with Nintendo games because they have controlled the pricing and discounts for so long that we as consumers have just accepted it and as a result see Nintendo first-party games as being more valuable as a result.

With so many games coming out nowadays the first 2-3 weeks is when the majority of sales happen for most games and they do not typically go on sale within the first couple of weeks, but as the releases get more crowded we have started to see stuff like Control drop down to around $40 a week or two after it released where as something like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe remains a $60 title and occasionally will go on sale for $40-$50 which is pretty crazy for a game that came out near the Switch launch and was a re-release of a Wii U game, which didn't really start going down in price until the Switch release.

Something like a Spider-Man would still sell for $60, but a year after release those sales would diminish at $60 versus a lower price. If someone waits a year to play a game it is because they are usually waiting for a sale or price drop otherwise they would have picked it up around launch for $60.
Agreed, but if Sony said $60 or bust for Spider-Man then someone would have to decide whether or not they want to play that game and will adjust their budget/spending accordingly.

At this point, I don’t even consider a PSN sale that isn’t 50% (mostly 60-75% tbh) , but I know that the Eshop is a different animal (besides arg/mex) and that mindset will likely result in not playing any games I want since 60-75% is a unicorn.

Agreed, but if Sony said $60 or bust for Spider-Man then someone would have to decide whether or not they want to play that game and will adjust their budget/spending accordingly.

At this point, I don’t even consider a PSN sale that isn’t 50% (mostly 60-75% tbh) , but I know that the Eshop is a different animal (besides arg/mex) and that mindset will likely result in not playing any games I want since 60-75% is a unicorn.
If we didn't have physical games I would buy a lot less. I have a hard time justifying a $30+ digital game than I do a $60 retail release. Just knowing I am stuck with whatever I buy digital is a huge turn off for me. It is however easier to justify a digital purchase on Switch due to the handheld nature of it, but still have a hard time spending more than $20 for anything digital.

I can confirm Elite Pro extra trade in bonus was killed too. Computer only applied 30% for Kakarot bonus instead of 40%. Employee manually added 10% but YMMV.

So then you are saying that there is no point in signing up in the middle of the month (2nd-29th) because then you won't receive a coupon until the next month. They are going to milk those uninformed Soccer moms now. I guess the best time to sign up is on the last few days.
Well if any good comes out of this, at least there's that.

What a clusterfuck. It seems no one in store or via customer service knows what is going on with cancellations. Called and was told they can cancel it and drop me to a regular account but they aren't sure how I'd be reimbursed. Told the guy not to cancel it and have someone call me who is in charge of the refund process. 

Said they'd only be able to refund in the form of a gift card or points. Explained that points would be deleted once you cancel it but he didn't understand why that was a bad thing... 

I did check my account before the call and it was changed to Pro instead of showing Elite Pro.

Side note, Christmas merch is 75% https://www.gamestop.com/search/?q=holidaycollectsale011220

If we didn't have physical games I would buy a lot less. I have a hard time justifying a $30+ digital game than I do a $60 retail release. Just knowing I am stuck with whatever I buy digital is a huge turn off for me. It is however easier to justify a digital purchase on Switch due to the handheld nature of it, but still have a hard time spending more than $20 for anything digital.
I feel the same besides the switch b/c I’m all in digital due to convenience.

On the bright side, I’m actually looking forward to being less compelled to buy a bunch of games that get backlogged due to life responsibilities and spending time with my family (young kids)

I expect to spend way less money on games regardless of the deals I may or may not get on the ones I do buy.

For example, a couple times a year my friend invites me to a canes hockey game (season passes on the ice level) b/c his son can’t go. I spare no expense and get the large dark import beer and expensive prime rib sandwich from the carving station vendor.

I couldn’t justify the cost of those if I was going to every home game, but for a couple games I’m going to enjoy it to the fullest.
( latest time was last weekend for 80s Whalers night)

My point is, if I have to pay full price for Mario and miss out on some lesser games that just sit on my shelf unplayed to cover the cost savings..so be it b/c I will probably come out ahead financially anyways and my limited gamimg time should be spent on games I really want to play vs settle.

Damn just went in to get some games and sucks getting that 4 for $20 and see it actually come out to be $20 instead of $16. With GCU and now Elite Pro discounts gone I believe I will finally stop hoarding games and actually finish all the games I started but never finished.

was trading in some games, and the clerk looked at one of my ps3 discs which is my fault cause i forgot to clean it. he wiped it with his cloth and tried to put a $5 refurb nothing was wrong with the disc besides finger prints smh 

i asked for it back ill trade it in later...minecraft btw so $13 is worth it to me 

Anyone know how long the 4 for 20 deal will be good for? Didn't see it listed in the online ad but swear I saw signs up at local store a week ago. Also is it for any 4 games $9.99 and under?

The app still shows elite trade in values, however it won't allow you to save it.

I'm going to miss Elite, luckily I was able to grab 19 key switch titles & NFS heat yesterday before it ended. Also grab a 4 for $16, MH:world, terria vita, poi switch and ufc2.

CSAC in Cali still in effect plus the 10% still make a okay flip. Probably gon use my remaining credit on XB cards to purchase a Series X for Microsoft directly. RE3 CE most likely gon be my last purchase from GS.

I anticipate that the elite and "real pro" refugees will not be getting the $5 coupon until February.

What? "That isn't what they promised", you say? Add it to the list.
And by then it probably won't work on any of the console cash people are using them on now. Add me to the list of stiffed people because I sure AF haven't seen my coupon I've been promised. Now I wish I'd let my PRO sub expire last year. . .

My point is, if I have to pay full price for Mario and miss out on some lesser games that just sit on my shelf unplayed to cover the cost savings..so be it b/c I will probably come out ahead financially anyways and my limited gamimg time should be spent on games I really want to play vs settle.
Changing the subject a little, but I think you hit on something there. I think a lot of people would appreciate and enjoy their gaming more if e cut back on buying games that were in the "maybe" pile just because they were cheap. If nothing else, it would definitely diminish the feeling of indecision when choosing a game to play, old or new.

Do you know if they finally dropped new Switch games passed 30% yet?
All systems were but those were gone

I picked up a switch lite for 120

In addition games were 40 percent off new

Used were 70 %

All the above pertain to Nintendo products

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just got an email from GS that says my new Pro perks are activated but I sure as heck still don't have the $5 coupon anywhere in my account

I just got an email from GS that says my new Pro perks are activated but I sure as heck still don't have the $5 coupon anywhere in my account
Same, also noticed at the bottom of that email that it notes that the monthly $5 coupon won't work on preowned games until the switch over on the 16th. So it should technically work on used games now.

The app still shows elite trade in values, however it won't allow you to save it.

I'm going to miss Elite, luckily I was able to grab 19 key switch titles & NFS heat yesterday before it ended. Also grab a 4 for $16, MH:world, terria vita, poi switch and ufc2.

CSAC in Cali still in effect plus the 10% still make a okay flip. Probably gon use my remaining credit on XB cards to purchase a Series X for Microsoft directly. RE3 CE most likely gon be my last purchase from GS.
Thanks for the idea, didn’t think about getting series x directly from MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back